Author Topic: BATB 8  (Read 185494 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1377
Re: BATB 8
« Reply #780 on: June 13, 2015, 07:15:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I am I the only who thinks Berger has a terrible style?

He is crazy good, but it looks so bad.

[close]

Nope, you're not the only one.  I'm not that into his style either but I still think he rips.  Did anyone else think the filming seemed kinda 'different' this time??
[close]

Yeah, it was shaky as fuck...and different angles than usual.

This whole game had a weird vibe. Reminds me of the other game where the crowd was almost completely silent. Strange year, like everyone's getting tired of the series.

southsecond

« Reply #781 on: June 13, 2015, 07:52:42 PM »
Fakie fs flip and fs halfcab flip are both acceptable shorthand for fakie frontside 180 kickflip. I don't know what's up with that fakie halfcab flip garbage. It's redundant and doesn't denote side which is important if you spin frontside when talking about a caballerial variation as most people automatically associate cabs with backside. Can some old dude tell me if cabs were always backside as a rule?

It's definitely not a fakie frontside anything. By that logic, a nollie backside 180 would be called a switch fakie frontside 180.

Regardless of whether you're going frontside or backside, an ollie that starts from a fakie is called a Caballerial.

southsecond

« Reply #782 on: June 13, 2015, 07:55:13 PM »
And for the record, backside Caballerial is redundant. Unless you say frontside, backside is implied.

Also, what the fuck is up with people like Grosso calling backside Smith grinds "Monty grinds?" We know Monty Nolder was the first to do the backside variation of a trick invented by Mike Smith. Why does it get a different name just because it's backside?

Hey, Grosso! It's a b/s Smith. Unless of course the frontside feeble gets renamed for whoever was the first person to do one.

straight

« Reply #783 on: June 13, 2015, 08:09:05 PM »
Dude they're called grapefruit grinds

pointandclick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #784 on: June 13, 2015, 08:39:49 PM »
Berger skates a super short board, it's the first thing I notice watching him

Put him against one of the smoothest skaters like "steeze ortiz" and yea he doesn't look his best
he skates the traditional nose of the board as his tail aswell.

also fs halfcabs sound dumb. just say fakie frontside.

Ccannon

• Rep: -23
« Reply #785 on: June 13, 2015, 09:33:12 PM »
And for the record, backside Caballerial is redundant. Unless you say frontside, backside is implied.

Also, what the fuck is up with people like Grosso calling backside Smith grinds "Monty grinds?" We know Monty Nolder was the first to do the backside variation of a trick invented by Mike Smith. Why does it get a different name just because it's backside?

Hey, Grosso! It's a b/s Smith. Unless of course the frontside feeble gets renamed for whoever was the first person to do one.

Do you guys use the term full cab ever?

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #786 on: June 14, 2015, 02:29:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do you guys use the term full cab ever?

only when referring to full cabs

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #787 on: June 14, 2015, 05:10:52 AM »
Burgers boards look soooo short.

Whatever works I spose.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #788 on: June 14, 2015, 05:19:26 AM »
Damn that BS 360 kickflip  :o, imagine what it would be like just bein able to fire em off like that cruisin down the street

OldmanEpic

« Reply #789 on: June 14, 2015, 08:32:40 AM »
Fuck I like Bergers style.

Totally reminds me of Gino but has like 7 million more tricks then him

jomeara1

« Reply #790 on: June 14, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Nope, you're not the only one.  I'm not that into his style either but I still think he rips.  Did anyone else think the filming seemed kinda 'different' this time??
[close]

[close]

This whole game had a weird vibe. Reminds me of the other game where the crowd was almost completely silent. Strange year, like everyone's getting tired of the series.

Yeah I agree.  I wonder if Chase took the day off to practice rehearsing the "real" screwdriver story for everyone lol.  Could be a reason why the camera was so shaky this time with different angles.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 722
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #791 on: June 14, 2015, 12:40:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Fakie fs flip and fs halfcab flip are both acceptable shorthand for fakie frontside 180 kickflip. I don't know what's up with that fakie halfcab flip garbage. It's redundant and doesn't denote side which is important if you spin frontside when talking about a caballerial variation as most people automatically associate cabs with backside. Can some old dude tell me if cabs were always backside as a rule?
[close]

It's definitely not a fakie frontside anything. By that logic, a nollie backside 180 would be called a switch fakie frontside 180.

Regardless of whether you're going frontside or backside, an ollie that starts from a fakie is called a Caballerial.
What the fuck are you talking about? Literally nothing you said makes sense. I hope you're joking. Doing a cab is automatically fakie, but starting fakie does not make it automatically cab. If you start fakie and spin a frontside 180 it is literally a fakie frontside 180. Caballerial is just the name applied to going fakie and spinning backside 360 degrees because Cab did it so well and/or was the first doing it (not sure which or if both). Caballerial describes nothing. It's just a name applied to a trick. A nollie backside 180 is a nollie backside 180 because you do a nollie and spin backside 180 degrees. I assume people extended the term "cab" to frontside because it's easier to say fs cab than fakie fs whatever spin.
"an ollie that starts from a fakie is called a Caballerial"
That's so wrong it hurts. Do you call fakie ollies a "no-cab", or a "0 cab"?

If you were just trying to get me to make a response then you got me. Congrats.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65239
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #792 on: June 14, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Everyone who's allowed in the Berrics is in the industry or has connections, so they're jaded as fuck.
Put some regular ass kids in there and the atmosphere will be ten times better.

southsecond

« Reply #793 on: June 14, 2015, 01:18:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
What the fuck are you talking about? Literally nothing you said makes sense. I hope you're joking. Doing a cab is automatically fakie, but starting fakie does not make it automatically cab. If you start fakie and spin a frontside 180 it is literally a fakie frontside 180. Caballerial is just the name applied to going fakie and spinning backside 360 degrees because Cab did it so well and/or was the first doing it (not sure which or if both). Caballerial describes nothing. It's just a name applied to a trick. A nollie backside 180 is a nollie backside 180 because you do a nollie and spin backside 180 degrees. I assume people extended the term "cab" to frontside because it's easier to say fs cab than fakie fs whatever spin.
"an ollie that starts from a fakie is called a Caballerial"
That's so wrong it hurts. Do you call fakie ollies a "no-cab", or a "0 cab"?

If you were just trying to get me to make a response then you got me. Congrats.

Either you're semi-literate at best, or you're having a laugh.

You don't call 360 ollies something different depending on whether you're doing them frontside or backside, do you? Same with a Caballerial. You do them backside or frontside. If you start fakie and then ollie and turn 360 (or if 180, then it's half), it's a Caballerial -- frontside or backside, your choice. Fakie frontside is a non-trick and a term used by dimwits.

matter of fact

• Rep: 42
« Reply #794 on: June 14, 2015, 01:35:23 PM »
i know it's inevitable that on a skateboard forum the half cab argument will come up from time to time. it's almost at a page in length, can we just let it go and pick it back up sometime in early july or so?

rest up and re-hydrate and all that, get your paragraphs in order and have a proper disagreement in which neither side will admit defeat

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #795 on: June 14, 2015, 03:09:13 PM »
i know it's inevitable that on a skateboard forum the half cab argument will come up from time to time. it's almost at a page in length, can we just let it go and pick it back up sometime in early july or so?

rest up and re-hydrate and all that, get your paragraphs in order and have a proper disagreement in which neither side will admit defeat
Dude, it is par for the course for someone to make a comment on how lame it is to argue about naming conventions, but jesus christ, there's a dude in here claiming fakie fs doesn't exist.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #796 on: June 14, 2015, 03:29:37 PM »
Cabalerro is sitting somewhere shaking his head

If you spent as much time skating as you do arguing tricks you would have all these tricks

TreBombMartin

• Rep: 31
« Reply #797 on: June 14, 2015, 04:42:31 PM »
Cabalerro is sitting somewhere shaking his head

If you spent as much time skating as you do arguing tricks you would have all these tricks

Never heard of Cabalerro. Anyone got a link?

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #798 on: June 14, 2015, 04:52:40 PM »
Holy hell, back in the early 2000's everyone called them frontside halfcab flips and there was no confusion. Feelin' older everyday.

southsecond

« Reply #799 on: June 14, 2015, 05:02:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Dude, it is par for the course for someone to make a comment on how lame it is to argue about naming conventions, but jesus christ, there's a dude in here claiming fakie fs doesn't exist.

Let me ask you this, genius: what do you call it without the flip? Fakie frontside 180 or a frontside halfcab? Find me a caption ANYWHERE that uses the former or shut the fuck up.

southsecond

« Reply #800 on: June 14, 2015, 05:11:08 PM »
Incidentally:

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #801 on: June 14, 2015, 05:58:29 PM »
back in the day it was fakie frontside flip but i could see frontside half cab flip working too. either make sense imo (although i prefer the former), not really a trick name that is worth arguing over ???

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

OldmanEpic

« Reply #802 on: June 14, 2015, 07:43:29 PM »

Id prefer fakie frontside flip

Half cab spins the other way, even then id call it a fakie backside flip if spinning/flipping that way.

Skateboard trick names just get confusing as i get older.

Back in the day we did fakie ollie fakie nosegrinds, now its fakie ollie switch 5.0

Bigspins were frontside and spinning backside was a batman spin

And nobody knew what the fuck a tre flip was😂😂😂

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #803 on: June 14, 2015, 09:12:51 PM »
This is insane. I'm sorry, guys, this is my last post on the subject. Other people are conflating the argument by acting like they're not choosing sides as if both parties have an equal claim to reality when they really don't. It's like how the media treats evolution versus creationism. SouthSecondSquat is denying that you can call a fakie ollie with a frontside 180 a fakie frontside 180. I didn't say you couldn't call it a fs half cab, I even went so far as to explain the reasoning behind calling it that. You can name any trick anything, but it doesn't change what the trick and it's constituent parts are, in this case being a fakie stance fs spin x amount of degrees. This has nothing to do with generations and nobody in here is to old to understand that.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:29:18 PM by L33Tg33k »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #804 on: June 14, 2015, 11:17:23 PM »
trick names: serious business (and possibly the new GMOs ;))

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #805 on: June 15, 2015, 12:03:46 AM »
Berger looks like a giant or his board is tiny. Looks like he will get crushed by Sewa though.

matter of fact

• Rep: 42
« Reply #806 on: June 15, 2015, 09:39:56 AM »
Berger looks like a giant or his board is tiny. Looks like he will get crushed by Sewa though.

who knows, he might be the first one smart enough to realize he has to learn those five tricks that always come from sewa

southsecond

« Reply #807 on: June 15, 2015, 10:15:21 AM »
This is insane. I'm sorry, guys, this is my last post on the subject. Other people are conflating the argument by acting like they're not choosing sides as if both parties have an equal claim to reality when they really don't. It's like how the media treats evolution versus creationism. SouthSecondSquat is denying that you can call a fakie ollie with a frontside 180 a fakie frontside 180. I didn't say you couldn't call it a fs half cab, I even went so far as to explain the reasoning behind calling it that. You can name any trick anything, but it doesn't change what the trick and it's constituent parts are, in this case being a fakie stance fs spin x amount of degrees. This has nothing to do with generations and nobody in here is to old to understand that.

This has nothing to do with either of our supposed "claims to reality." It's simply calling a trick by its proper name; you can't just "name a trick anything" if it's already been named.

Also, I don't think "conflating" means what you think it means. Dictionary.com is only a click away, FYI, so that next time you want to sound a bit smarter you can actually pull it off. 

jomeara1

« Reply #808 on: June 15, 2015, 05:30:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
[/b]

who knows, he might be the first one smart enough to realize he has to learn those five tricks that always come from sewa

I'm not so sure about Sewa sometimes.  I know he's super good and makes it to the finals, but he seems very unpredictable.  One moment he's landing 540 flips and nollie late flips and then he'll bail on like a fakie flip or a front shuv, or just tricks that you expect him to land easily.

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #809 on: June 15, 2015, 05:33:12 PM »
Frontside Half Cab flip is the trendy way to say it.