Author Topic: Hockey Talk  (Read 225027 times)

Mooley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Hockey Talk
« Reply #750 on: February 19, 2011, 12:08:23 PM »
"Heritage Classic" in a couple hours. -17c in Calgary right now, at least it won't be raining.

penguin meat

« Reply #751 on: February 19, 2011, 12:19:49 PM »
"Heritage Classic" in a couple hours. -17c in Calgary right now, at least it won't be raining.

not sure what's better, but at least the puck might actually slide on the ice.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #752 on: February 22, 2011, 09:07:57 AM »
sabres new owner Terry pegula, is a billionaire, a hockey fan, and made his money ina  questionabl ematter.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #753 on: February 22, 2011, 11:42:27 AM »
Pens got Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski. Bummed to see Gogo go, but Neal's a beast

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #754 on: February 22, 2011, 11:50:38 AM »
The Flames uniforms were so gross. They looked like McDonalds fry boxes skating around.

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #755 on: February 22, 2011, 11:54:40 AM »
sabres new owner Terry pegula, is a billionaire, a hockey fan, and made his money ina  questionabl ematter.

Fuck yes.  He's done lots of good for the U.Pitt basketball program, and has been pretty vocal about wanting to do the same for the sabres.  He's a former season ticket holder.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #756 on: February 22, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The Flames uniforms were so gross. They looked like McDonalds fry boxes skating around.
I didn't mind the jerseys on their own but with the white pants on they were pretty brutal.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #757 on: February 22, 2011, 02:12:07 PM »
Expand Quote
sabres new owner Terry pegula, is a billionaire, a hockey fan, and made his money ina?  questionabl ematter.
[close]

Fuck yes.?  He's done lots of good for the U.Pitt basketball program, and has been pretty vocal about wanting to do the same for the sabres.?  He's a former season ticket holder.
he's a real sabres fan, he broke into tears when he realized Gilbert Perreault was at the press conference. I'm prety psyched.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #758 on: February 22, 2011, 04:04:13 PM »
i imagine most billionaires made their money with at least a few questionable moves

Nick..

• Rep: 10
« Reply #759 on: February 22, 2011, 06:08:53 PM »
Leafs are interested in John Michael Liles. I wouldn't mind it as our powerplay sucks without Kaberle and Brett Lebda is a piece of shit.

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #760 on: February 24, 2011, 10:05:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
sabres new owner Terry pegula, is a billionaire, a hockey fan, and made his money ina?  questionabl ematter.
[close]

Fuck yes.?  He's done lots of good for the U.Pitt basketball program, and has been pretty vocal about wanting to do the same for the sabres.?  He's a former season ticket holder.
[close]
he's a real sabres fan, he broke into tears when he realized Gilbert Perreault was at the press conference. I'm prety psyched.

That makes my week.  Gil Perrault was so rad- I was lucky enough to be at the game where they retired his number.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
« Reply #761 on: February 24, 2011, 11:16:16 PM »
i always liked the 92-94 ish sabres.....lafontaine, mogilny, hawerchuck.....they were stacked.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #762 on: February 25, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »
kovalev back to the pens. shyeaaaaah

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #763 on: February 26, 2011, 07:15:25 AM »
anybody see mike grier"s breakaway goal last night? he psyched out craig anderson by having some sort of torrets like twitch, it was awsome.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #764 on: February 26, 2011, 08:11:26 AM »
played some street hockey the other day with my stoner friends. it was a fucking blast. we're all talking about figuring out some jury rigged goalie pads and stuff to start playing more realistically at a local roller rink.

and the crossing backhander that i put up on the top shelf makes me think I should have been playing since i was a little kid.
@idealhandmades

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #765 on: March 16, 2011, 08:25:46 AM »
I did this a couple weeks back....

http://vancouverisawesome.com/2011/03/13/vancouvers-most-awesome-gino-odjick/

Just talked on the phone but he was pretty cool....

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #766 on: March 16, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »
it's your problem now
tricks are for kids , style is forever

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #767 on: March 16, 2011, 10:09:27 AM »
Caps v. Flyers predictions?
@idealhandmades

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #768 on: March 16, 2011, 03:04:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
it's your problem now

he's carrying his weight so far

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #769 on: March 16, 2011, 03:53:49 PM »
I did this a couple weeks back....

http://vancouverisawesome.com/2011/03/13/vancouvers-most-awesome-gino-odjick/

Just talked on the phone but he was pretty cool....

nice interview

I've seen im at the Pro Club when I play in the summer, dudes huge

Nick..

« Reply #770 on: March 16, 2011, 04:28:04 PM »
Anyone see the Chara hit on Pacioretty, and all the uproar and outrage because Pacioretty plays for Montreal? Comical.

And Leafs versus Hurricanes tonight. Toronto's in a three way tie with Atlanta and New Jersey with 70 points, and they're six points out, and Leafs could be tied with Carolina with a win tonight.

And I got Capitals vs Leafs tickets for April 5th.

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #771 on: March 16, 2011, 07:00:06 PM »
Eww Leafs tickets. People should stop supporting that team until they can actually put together a team that will make the playoffs.  And I'm not talking about barely getting in by 1 point.  Toronto is THE hockey market of North America and people spend a shitload on tickets to watch them lose year after year.  They haven't made it to the playoffs since before the lockout(6 or 7 years ago?)!  Most of the hardcore Leaf fans I know can't afford to go watch them at their home rink so they have to drive to Buffalo to watch their team play....it's sad really.

That hit on Pacioretty wasn't really comical in the least. I like how Pacioretty said that it was stupid for the Montreal Police to open an investigation on the matter since the incident happened as a part of the game...gotta respect him for that.  Personally, I don't think Chara meant to hit his head into that post.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #772 on: March 16, 2011, 08:23:39 PM »
Chara is the last guy in the league i want to hit me like that. I'm suprised the dude still has a heartbeat.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #773 on: March 16, 2011, 09:21:59 PM »
I think it was intentional; everyone I know that played hockey said it was plenty of time to be aware of who it was, where he was etc.

Also holy fuck the canucks are amazing
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Nick..

« Reply #774 on: March 17, 2011, 06:30:38 AM »
Eww Leafs tickets. People should stop supporting that team until they can actually put together a team that will make the playoffs.  And I'm not talking about barely getting in by 1 point.  Toronto is THE hockey market of North America and people spend a shitload on tickets to watch them lose year after year.  They haven't made it to the playoffs since before the lockout(6 or 7 years ago?)!  Most of the hardcore Leaf fans I know can't afford to go watch them at their home rink so they have to drive to Buffalo to watch their team play....it's sad really.

That hit on Pacioretty wasn't really comical in the least. I like how Pacioretty said that it was stupid for the Montreal Police to open an investigation on the matter since the incident happened as a part of the game...gotta respect him for that.  Personally, I don't think Chara meant to hit his head into that post.
They're currently 4 points out. This point last year, they were 14-17 points out. They are currently in year 2 of a rebuild, which usually takes 5, so getting close to the playoffs in the second year sounds pretty good. John Ferguson Jr. left this team in a shithole that Brian Burke had to clean up.

Considering there is no one from the team pre-lockout left (now that Kaberle got traded finally) and they're one of the youngest teams in the NHL, I say Burke's done a good job. Atleast they're not the Florida Panthers. Haven't made the playoffs since 2000, getting high first round picks that don't make a difference (Bouwmeester, Frolik, Weiss), getting good players that could make a difference, only to trade them away for shitty players and lower round draft picks because they're not in the playoffs.

And I only thought it was comical because all these league sponsors were calling for justice, yet RJ Umberger of Columbus did it to Drew Doughty 2-3 nights later, nothing. No outrage, no uproar, nothing, just because they were playing in Columbus, and no one gives a shit about hockey there. If Hal Gill did it to David Krejci, or another Bruin other than Chara did it, no one would care because Chara's 7'0 on skates and 6'9 off them.

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #775 on: March 17, 2011, 06:40:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
it's your problem now
[close]

he's carrying his weight so far
how much dough you pay him ?
tricks are for kids , style is forever

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #776 on: March 17, 2011, 07:28:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
They're currently 4 points out. This point last year, they were 14-17 points out. They are currently in year 2 of a rebuild, which usually takes 5, so getting close to the playoffs in the second year sounds pretty good. John Ferguson Jr. left this team in a shithole that Brian Burke had to clean up.

Considering there is no one from the team pre-lockout left (now that Kaberle got traded finally) and they're one of the youngest teams in the NHL, I say Burke's done a good job. Atleast they're not the Florida Panthers. Haven't made the playoffs since 2000, getting high first round picks that don't make a difference (Bouwmeester, Frolik, Weiss), getting good players that could make a difference, only to trade them away for shitty players and lower round draft picks because they're not in the playoffs.

And I only thought it was comical because all these league sponsors were calling for justice, yet RJ Umberger of Columbus did it to Drew Doughty 2-3 nights later, nothing. No outrage, no uproar, nothing, just because they were playing in Columbus, and no one gives a shit about hockey there. If Hal Gill did it to David Krejci, or another Bruin other than Chara did it, no one would care because Chara's 7'0 on skates and 6'9 off them.

I disagree. Did you see both of the hits?

Pacioretty was unconscious and has a broken vertebrae.

Doughty, love the guy, but he's one of the biggest divers/whiners in the league, the hit wasn't that bad.

Canucks locked up the NW and a playoff spot in the process, can do no worse than 3rd in the Western Conference. However, playoffs scare the shit out of me. The pessimist in me see's us losing in the first round to PHX or Chicago, and being labelled the next San Jose Sharks. If Edler and Bieksa can get back in time then were in good shape, also if Kesler and Burrows stay healthy for the playoffs that would be a boost, last year supposedly they both played hurt.

Im pulling for the Leafs to make the playoffs. They need to give Kadri more time to mature and get bigger, watched some of the game today and he just gets muscled off the puck every play which leads to shitty turnovers. Grabovski is the leafs best forward imo, he has some unreal solo rushes and dangles, how long is he signed for?

Nick..

« Reply #777 on: March 17, 2011, 07:49:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I disagree. Did you see both of the hits?

Pacioretty was unconscious and has a broken vertebrae.

Doughty, love the guy, but he's one of the biggest divers/whiners in the league, the hit wasn't that bad.

Canucks locked up the NW and a playoff spot in the process, can do no worse than 3rd in the Western Conference. However, playoffs scare the shit out of me. The pessimist in me see's us losing in the first round to PHX or Chicago, and being labelled the next San Jose Sharks. If Edler and Bieksa can get back in time then were in good shape, also if Kesler and Burrows stay healthy for the playoffs that would be a boost, last year supposedly they both played hurt.

Im pulling for the Leafs to make the playoffs. They need to give Kadri more time to mature and get bigger, watched some of the game today and he just gets muscled off the puck every play which leads to shitty turnovers. Grabovski is the leafs best forward imo, he has some unreal solo rushes and dangles, how long is he signed for?
Similar hits as they both went into the pole, different results since Chara's a freak of nature, and pretty much invisible. I agree with Kadri, he needs to bulk up in order to be effective. It's like watching Jason Blake out there, and he was painful to watch.

I also agree with Grabovski, as he's been my favorite player for them, now that he's more of a two way player and can do everything he's supposed to. I honestly couldn't stand him last season. He couldn't back check, take a hit, had no defensive play, and was just overall shitty. He's improved greatly, winning me over enough to buy a Grabovski jersey. He is currently signed for next season at $2.9 million, he would them become a UFA afterwards. He needs a contract extension, much like MacArthur, Schenn, Sjostrom, and various others need new contracts at the end of this season.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #778 on: March 17, 2011, 08:45:45 AM »
kadri should play one year minimum in the AHL.....it's the right thing to do. 

went to the canucks game last night.....we're finding a way to win those games...the problem for the canucks will be if the refs put away their whistles in the playoffs, which they often do, no powerplays=no goals, plus I can see them getting frustrated and losing focus in a tight game.  I was at the boston game where everyone was screaming to nail chara....real good idea....sure someone ran chara, then chara gets mad, nails henrik, while everyone's screaming for a penalty, they go up the ice and score....  I don't want to see the ducks first round, the canucks don't have an answer to getzlaf and perry, teemu is a canuck killer too, even w. hiller out they're a tough team.  I want to see Dallas fall to 8th which is a strong possibility. 

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #779 on: March 17, 2011, 09:11:03 AM »

I also agree with Grabovski, as he's been my favorite player for them, now that he's more of a two way player and can do everything he's supposed to. I honestly couldn't stand him last season. He couldn't back check, take a hit, had no defensive play, and was just overall shitty. He's improved greatly, winning me over enough to buy a Grabovski jersey. He is currently signed for next season at $2.9 million, he would them become a UFA afterwards. He needs a contract extension, much like MacArthur, Schenn, Sjostrom, and various others need new contracts at the end of this season.

Hi Five Frisco! I'm hoping beyond hope I just wish they hadn't blew that game against tampa bay the other night or they would be a bit closer. They are out 4 points now, so we need teams to loose big time. They better beat florida tonight or I'll be pissed.

It's gotta be nice being a canuck fan this year, I could see them going all the way if they can shake their playoff curse. Not only is Luongo insane this year, but the backup corey shneider is amazing too, and that's a recipe for a cup.

I agree with both you guys about grabovski. They need to lock him up just as much as they need to re-sign Macarthur. Last year I hated grabovski, but looks like hes really come around, dude is explosive now. I heard he gets along really well with Ron Wilson and that must be helping.

Also agree with you guys about Kadri, hes too small. Hes good, but you can't be a twig and play in the NHL it doesn't work. Give him a year in the AHL and get him to bulk up and keep his speed.