Author Topic: Most Depressing Thing In Skateboarding Right Now  (Read 25629 times)

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
Re: Most Depressing Thing In Skateboarding Right Now
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2022, 11:53:44 PM »
I'm bummed on how the culture is so insanely obsessed with getting clips, esp. for social media clout.  I understand the whole for-posterity's-sake, but when skating the park or going to a great spot and having to accommodate and become an unwilling participant in the bottle neck of the skater-filmer chase that ensues, it just gets a little tiring.

I’m in the opposite. I want to get clips but keep going to the park like it’s the gym.  Even worse, get the occasional clip at the park.   I don’t social media so it’s just for my own catalog.   

I would like to get in clip mode since I feel really good on a board right now. How does one achieve this?

As for the topic. OP I wouldn’t let what other people are doing effect your love of the art. As someone else suggested. In a weird way it more accepting than ever. 

If I were going to say what one single thing bums me out about skating is breaking in new shoes / grip.   And falling in other people spit.  But culture wise. I have no gripes. If you’re bummed out you need to focus on skating and not the internet as much ….

8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2022, 12:23:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Probably is how quickly parts are forgotten. People work hard, spend months battling for a couple seconds in a line or a single trick, and then everyone forgets just like that in the sea of content we have right now.
[close]

this is true

nothing is memorable and nobody gives a shit
[close]

A world-class part has the same or less life as a viral Karen video or whatever. That is truly sad.
[close]
I get the nostalgia for parts that were culture defining and all that. However, with how assessible skate footage is now and how little people linger on big production value industry parts, I found myself paying more attention to parts and ig accounts of my local scene . I find this to be somewhat of a positive side of the oversaturation of skate media.

The over saturation of content is where they lost me. So much good yes but so much more bull shit too.

It’s like anything on IG
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2022, 01:58:50 AM »
The fucking brats that spilled their chips and lemonade on my local ramp

goldenbullcow

• Rep: -406
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2022, 03:42:08 AM »
Sorry for the bummer thread.

I was at Love yesterday looking for ghosts, and it was really sad.

What's making you feel blue in skating these days? 

How are you coping?

Are brighter days ahead?

Am I just being negative?

Don’t be sad that it’s over

Be happy it happened

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2022, 03:59:28 AM »
Just walked by my local bowl after being quarantined with COVID-19 for the last two weeks and the session looked really good. Sunny, good vibes, no scooters. I am completely exhausted though and my back is fucked from lying in bed and not moving. First session not happening yet and am am desperate.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2022, 06:11:45 AM »
Wade Speyer not having a board out

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2022, 06:16:23 AM »

Merman

• Rep: -40
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2022, 07:22:20 AM »
The most depressing thing right now is watching the US Military being subtly packaged with skateboarding to impressionable young skateboarders.

Firstly, massive respect to all well-intentioned soldiers who enlisted with a willingness to put their life on the line to protect others. Also, I think we should do way more to take care of our veterans and show appreciation for their sacrifice. In addition to those thoughts, it's clear that our military isn't used for self-defense any more. We're taking well-intentioned teenagers and having them enforce a type of world order that is awful for many ordinary people all over the world. So it's depressing to see a board company like 'Thrash N' Raid', an all military veteran skate team, gaining traction in the skate community and being hosted by the likes of Etnies while pushing their influence through social media.

Thrash N' Raid glorifies war with its branding and clumsily co-opts well known aspects of skateboarding and pop culture: Thrasher, In N Out Fast Food framed inside a machine gun, Disney stickers, Punk Rock themed T Shirts, Comic Book themed boards, etc. Doubtful they'll get sued, as who wants the negative PR from suing a bunch of military veterans, right? Young skaters see this and it has the effect of normalizing all things military and making it seem cool.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
  • registered SLAP offender
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2022, 08:36:56 AM »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2022, 08:42:35 AM »
The most depressing thing right now is watching the US Military being subtly packaged with skateboarding to impressionable young skateboarders.

Firstly, massive respect to all well-intentioned soldiers who enlisted with a willingness to put their life on the line to protect others. Also, I think we should do way more to take care of our veterans and show appreciation for their sacrifice. In addition to those thoughts, it's clear that our military isn't used for self-defense any more. We're taking well-intentioned teenagers and having them enforce a type of world order that is awful for many ordinary people all over the world. So it's depressing to see a board company like 'Thrash N' Raid', an all military veteran skate team, gaining traction in the skate community and being hosted by the likes of Etnies while pushing their influence through social media.

Thrash N' Raid glorifies war with its branding and clumsily co-opts well known aspects of skateboarding and pop culture: Thrasher, In N Out Fast Food framed inside a machine gun, Disney stickers, Punk Rock themed T Shirts, Comic Book themed boards, etc. Doubtful they'll get sued, as who wants the negative PR from suing a bunch of military veterans, right? Young skaters see this and it has the effect of normalizing all things military and making it seem cool.

i was unaware of this existing until you told me. now i have a reason to dust off this old footage

Dan_O_86

• Rep: 1
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2022, 08:55:52 AM »
Nike

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2022, 09:28:16 AM »

IpathCats

« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2022, 09:52:24 AM »
The most depressing thing for me in skateboarding currently is the lack of decent high/midtop cupsoles, and the quality of shoes from skater owned shoe brands in general. I'll also echo the sentiment of the oversaturation of content devaluing some really good parts. Get off instagram, your life and outlook will improve.

That was the most Berra way to have the most Berra take on the whole Austyn/Elijah beef. I'm glad the only exposure I get to him/the berrics in general is through shit posted on SLAP, and youtube recommendations that I don't click.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2022, 10:04:30 AM »
The most depressing thing for me in skateboarding currently is the lack of decent high/midtop cupsoles, and the quality of shoes from skater owned shoe brands in general. I'll also echo the sentiment of the oversaturation of content devaluing some really good parts. Get off instagram, your life and outlook will improve.

Expand Quote

[close]

That was the most Berra way to have the most Berra take on the whole Austyn/Elijah beef. I'm glad the only exposure I get to him/the berrics in general is through shit posted on SLAP, and youtube recommendations that I don't click.
;D I've never watched a Braille video in my life, but I always see the thumbnails on youtube so i can only imagine what tf those bizarre videos are like.

Suciusleftnut

• Rep: 0
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2022, 10:21:14 AM »
Climate change
based. Shit scares the fuck outta me too

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 329
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2022, 10:57:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Climate change
[close]
based. Shit scares the fuck outta me too

For real the existential dread gets pretty bad some days

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2022, 11:23:12 AM »

Eli, we know you’re living that wholesome, irie life down in Jamaica, but your SLAP homies miss you.
Also…

This gentleman’s reading/delivery of those gags was almost painful to watch.
He’s no Gary, sure enough.
Would’ve been pretty awkward to have him read a “Damn, N***a…” segment, maybe it’s best they left that out.
Anyways, I have now come to expect abject failure from The Borax these days, and this clip did not disappoint. Good ol’ Steve: keeping it consistent.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2022, 11:32:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This gentleman’s reading/delivery of those gags was almost painful to watch.
He’s no Gary, sure enough.
Would’ve been pretty awkward to have him read a “Damn, N***a…” segment, maybe it’s best they left that out.
Anyways, I have now come to expect abject failure from The Borax these days, and this clip did not disappoint. Good ol’ Steve: keeping it consistent.

Comes off like they're playing a joke on him because he's an older gentleman. Really tawdry and mean-spirited, kind of expect it from Berra who paints himself as a perpetual victim but is really a ego inflated douchebag.  :(
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

thebacker

« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2022, 11:50:56 AM »
Berra/The berrics for sure

or trae and his dad

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2022, 03:53:23 PM »
the font on this looks weird. youre weird. heres my post:

skateboarding completely becoming a sport. while i love to see kids coming into skating for the first time, it's shitty especially in the whole trae the tank situation with a kid being forced to skate harder than they should.
skating should be fun, carefree even, and i'd hate for it to become not that.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2022, 04:06:09 PM »

that's a lot of words that i only skimmed through, but i'm pretty sure that the marines did some skateboarding unit experiment for some kind of reason.
here's an article that i also didn't read https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-tactical/marine-corps-skateboard-unit-1990s/
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 900
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2022, 07:29:57 AM »

This is not new. Magazines in the 2000s were littered with military ads as well as video games promoting them (CoD, Seal Team Six, Medal of Honor, etc.)

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2022, 07:32:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is not new. Magazines in the 2000s were littered with military ads as well as video games promoting them (CoD, Seal Team Six, Medal of Honor, etc.)

Unfortunately true. I remember all the Army ads in Transworld and thinking they were really out of place.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2022, 10:01:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Unfortunately true. I remember all the Army ads in Transworld and thinking they were really out of place.

I remember flipping from a Baker ad to a military one and thinking: "YEP, this is the one that convinced me. I'm going to sign up to get my nuts blown off by an IED now. Thanks military marketing team!"

whoami

• Rep: -43
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2022, 05:54:48 PM »
Wade Speyer not having a board out

Bless you

frontfootimpossible

• Rep: -25
« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2022, 04:27:59 AM »
Echoing the sentiment of others, good parts and videos that people worked hard on just getting lost in the sauce. Nothing resonates and gets re-watched, it is kind of like farting into a gust of wind at this point.
Quote from: Slap MessageBoards
frontfootimpossible,

You have received a warning for posting offensive material. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Slap MessageBoards Team.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2022, 04:35:17 AM »
Echoing the sentiment of others, good parts and videos that people worked hard on just getting lost in the sauce. Nothing resonates and gets re-watched, it is kind of like farting into a gust of wind at this point.

I just rewatched the Shrimp Blunt video.  8)
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2022, 12:11:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just rewatched the Shrimp Blunt video.  8)

Stuff resonates with ME and I rewatch it, but don’t we all miss the zeitgeist defining shit? Shrimp Blunt did remind me of those times it was so well done.