Author Topic: Any tips to land a kickflip?  (Read 2309 times)

TurdyBird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
Re: Any tips to land a kickflip?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 12:41:03 PM »
Have your front foot at an angle that works best for you. When I first learned them I had it pointing straight up at the nose almost, right behind the bolts. They were pretty ugly.

I honestly like trying to do them at deferent spots of the board but I'm most consistent doing them when my front foot is bottom bolt, heel side.

Find a spot on the board and foot angle that's comfortable for you. Before you pop focus in on that heel side corner of the nose. See your foot flicking off that part. Pop, flick that corner with your toes and watch for that grip tape, and stomp.

After you get somewhat consistent think about how you feel when you do them. Where are your feet landing? Are you barely holding on when you land? Can you do them with speed? At this point start tweaking things to see if you can control it better/pop better.

Part of it is getting your ankle in the right condition. I.have a wider board and sometimes my ankle doesn't have the strength to flick it all the way.

Have fun homie!!
The chillest1

craig_midnight

• Rep: -2
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 09:27:58 PM »
Learned from Chad Fernandez in an old 411.....single digits. He was doing a contest run at a YMCA or something. Little dinker to keep his line going. He did it on a flat bank. Noticed he had his flick foot right on the bottom bolts of the front truck. This caused it to be a dinker, or he was so gassed he didn't have any legs left. My early non muscle legs felt like I could do it since I saw his front foot so far up.

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2019, 04:58:30 PM »
You need to learn how to Ollie and I mean like Ollie over a foot high-pop is so important  -and fakie Ollie
Then learn how to do 180s every way (fronstside, backside and fakie variations)
Learn switch Ollie’s and nollies
Then learn every 180 variation of those tricks
Then learn every pop shuv it variation in every stance.
Now you are ready to try your first kickflip, you’ll need to try 1,000 kickflips a week and learn from your own mistakes, if you don’t just land them right away.
Didn't know aaron kyro was on here
big texas cummer

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2019, 07:29:03 PM »
Try it switch...

Ass

• Rep: 0
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2019, 09:56:16 PM »
whip out an old board with no wheels on some carpet. You can flip it faster that way and you don't have to be scared to land on it with your feet hanging off.

Found that helped me with getting a faster flip

ArtVandelay

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2019, 10:57:07 AM »
To quote every trick tip video from thr early 00’s - pop, flick, catch, land bolts. Easy peezy

cab-heel

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2019, 03:36:02 PM »
pretend your doing an ollie

Raccoon Manne

• Rep: -48
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2019, 09:51:12 PM »
You need to learn how to Ollie and I mean like Ollie over a foot high-pop is so important  -and fakie Ollie
Then learn how to do 180s every way (fronstside, backside and fakie variations)
Learn switch Ollie’s and nollies
Then learn every 180 variation of those tricks
Then learn every pop shuv it variation in every stance.
Now you are ready to try your first kickflip, you’ll need to try 1,000 kickflips a week and learn from your own mistakes, if you don’t just land them right away.

No. He wants to learn kickflips not how learn the braille way.

Front Blunt

• Rep: -4
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2019, 06:24:51 AM »
My biggest issue with kickflips is staying on top of it,(quite frankly most of my problems with anything skate related)- ive gotten my flick and pop pretty good over the years but if i ever dont land one its mostly because im not committing fully and ill have my front foot land on the the ground next to the board. Straight poosey. Dont be poosey . If i do it fast and fluid  enough it looks like some weird kickflip no comply thing i did on purpose, which is equally as embarrassing

Raccoon Manne

• Rep: -48
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2019, 06:57:15 PM »
If you can't land one, get a 7.75 with 50s... You'll be blasting flips in no time.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2019, 05:38:27 AM »
Concentrate on the flick way more than the set up or the pop.  I've relearnt them.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2019, 01:02:59 PM »
Concentrate on the flick way more than the set up or the pop.  I've relearnt them.

I agree with this.
I find a lot of people also have their foot too far off, if I don’t have my front foot mostly on the board at a good angle my flick won’t connect right

• Rep: 31
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2019, 09:13:12 PM »
Pop, flick, and jump but do it in one smooth motion then jump higher than you think, watch it flip, put your feet where they need to be. Ride away in glory or slam hard.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2019, 04:49:58 AM »
My biggest issue with kickflips is staying on top of it,(quite frankly most of my problems with anything skate related)- ive gotten my flick and pop pretty good over the years but if i ever dont land one its mostly because im not committing fully and ill have my front foot land on the the ground next to the board. Straight poosey. Dont be poosey . If i do it fast and fluid  enough it looks like some weird kickflip no comply thing i did on purpose, which is equally as embarrassing

focus on your shoulders being aligned with your board

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2019, 06:39:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

focus on your shoulders being aligned with your board
100%. I have to make a mental note to keep my shoulders straight and I’ve been doing kickflips for years and years. I think about that just as much or more than the flick.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2019, 01:44:32 AM »
yeah shoulders are a key to a lot of stuff.
And from time to time you have to tell yourself : shoulders over bolts

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2019, 08:55:51 AM »
The number one tip for kickflips, kick forward not down.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2019, 05:38:00 AM »
To that same degree, you want to be comfortable ollieing over 1 deck.

Take the time to learn good snaps and weight distribution or your kickflips will look like shit and you will have to work to correct bad form

Or prepare for roasting

KRKD1

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2019, 11:48:57 AM »

Unless you learning kickflips and understand the distinction between that being "cheaty" and plain ugly. I found that's an easier way to learn the process, jump -flip- commit quicker.

Once you get em down doing em proper becomes way way easier. At least the concept. Worked for me regular and than again switch. Proper flick came a week later for kickflips and a few hours for switch a year or four later.

But sensical tips for a good flick I spent all day in school dragging and flicking my foot on the floor. Sitting in a desk or chair helped that muscle memory.