Author Topic: Shapes Scaling With Size  (Read 553 times)

ballintoohard

Shapes Scaling With Size
« on: March 17, 2021, 08:13:58 AM »
Had an experience recently that spawned this question. I loved my Carpet 8.25 so I set up an 8.125 that was same WB and length, but just don’t like it. So I measured and the nose and tail are both a tad longer and different steepness, but the 8 and 8.25 are basically the same.

Same with DLX- why is the 8.5 shorter WB than an 8.25? Why is the 8.06 as long as an 8.38?

Some BBS companies scale pretty linearly- 8.25 is 14.25, 8.38 is 14.38, and the general shapes are similar the board just gets bigger.

My main theory is it’s just to get people try and buy more boards, but it’s super dumb. PS brands seem to do this less.

sketchyrider

Re: Shapes Scaling With Size
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 08:59:36 AM »
other people have brought this up before, but i think the different shapes you're describing cater to different people.

like, the bbs 8.5 and 8.38 aren't there to be almost interchangeable, they are just different shapes.

edit: in other words the 8.38 might be for someone that likes an 8 or 8.125 but wants to scale up a bit, where the 8.5 is just for someone who wants a board that's wide, but not long.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:06:43 AM by sketchyrider »

mattdlx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 07:32:01 PM »
Also: Deluxe has at least 5 different 8.5 shapes, with wheelbases between 14.25 up to 14.75 so it really depends which one you get.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.
SPB!

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 46
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 06:08:47 PM »
yeah I totally agree with this, but nose/tail length makes a huge difference and also subtle changes in fingers of flat (where they decide to steal wheelbase from)

personally its just way easier to get used to a bbs standard 8.5 14.5wb 7.125nose 6.675tail  32.25length

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 03:03:46 AM »
I have another aspect to add, which might seem obvious, but it's not only the length of nose and tail that makes a huge difference but also the shape/taper. My former and current set up have the same length tail but the new deck is tapered whereas the old one was a full DLX shape.

I have been and still am struggling with kickflips on the new set up and I found out that due to the tapered tail I am standing too close to the back truck when popping, resulting in ghost pop or weak pop/early flicking. I need to stand further back but as I have big feet it feels like standing on the very tip of the tail, whereas on the full shape I had more "real estate" to stand on/pop.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 03:47:30 AM »
I have another aspect to add, which might seem obvious, but it's not only the length of nose and tail that makes a huge difference but also the shape/taper. My former and current set up have the same length tail but the new deck is tapered whereas the old one was a full DLX shape.

I have been and still am struggling with kickflips on the new set up and I found out that due to the tapered tail I am standing too close to the back truck when popping, resulting in ghost pop or weak pop/early flicking. I need to stand further back but as I have big feet it feels like standing on the very tip of the tail, whereas on the full shape I had more "real estate" to stand on/pop.

for me it's quite the oposite. Not so much on the tail but having full shape noses fuck up my fliptricks etc (guessing it might be due to having more grip-wood around the area i get my foot kicking out making them quit unpredictable fliping wise) might also be due to the fact i grew up skating tappered dlx brand decks so who knows. that's my two cent on the gear madness :-)