Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 717065 times)

kitcatski, boneless900 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

s0sa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3780 on: December 19, 2021, 08:06:57 AM »
Expand Quote
anyone know what duro these are?? I can’t find these in any of the catalogs.. https://www.paradeworld.com/products/spitfire-classic-swirl-wheels-blackwhite-56mm-90-6661680726070/
[close]

Two things:

1.  These are the original 99 duro classic swirl wheels, great wheels in their time.

2. They are also rather unique, as they are not in the usual Spitfire packaging and at first thinking they were like the Navarrette swirl which is long out of stock, as far as I know, but I haven't seen these in this colour and graphic ever before, or at least I had some like them a while back, so they could have been a "team rider" or some other special edition.

Some of the Navarrette 56mm swirl:

https://olliedayskateshop.fr/produit/spitfire-wheels-swirl-pro-classic-navarrette-52mm-99a/

Could be just me but as far as more recent options, but the only ones I recall seeing were the orange / yellow swirl classics from last season.

https://www.tactics.com/spitfire/classic-skateboard-wheels/firefight-orange-yellow-99a

Seems like the Formula Four options come out once in a while too, some green / black conical fulls in shops now.  Most of the coloured wheels are not made in large quantities and usually sell out fairly quickly, but there still might be some around in places that don't get so much traffic, as I have found here and there.

Anyone else correct me if I am wrong though.

thanks for the insight! I bought them last night and they immediately said sold out after. I probably snagged the only pair. thought the packaging was weird but didn’t hesitate to buy since parade has good customer service. If they end up being 99a i’ll be stoked since i’m currently skating those black and green conicals you mentioned but i totally prefer classics over any shape personally!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3781 on: December 19, 2021, 03:57:00 PM »

thanks for the insight! I bought them last night and they immediately said sold out after. I probably snagged the only pair. thought the packaging was weird but didn’t hesitate to buy since parade has good customer service. If they end up being 99a i’ll be stoked since i’m currently skating those black and green conicals you mentioned but i totally prefer classics over any shape personally!

I saw the post in the other thread too - interesting they came from a shop with mostly old stock, but should still be legit Spitfire wheels.

The only other thing to note is they are NOT Formula Four, so will have a slippery start until you wear the lines off and we always had to go a little easy on them at first until they wore in as they were so often flatspotted in the first week, more so than in the rest of their life.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #3782 on: December 19, 2021, 08:25:51 PM »
Expand Quote
anyone know what duro these are?? I can’t find these in any of the catalogs.. https://www.paradeworld.com/products/spitfire-classic-swirl-wheels-blackwhite-56mm-90-6661680726070/
[close]

Two things:

1.  These are the original 99 duro classic swirl wheels, great wheels in their time.

2. They are also rather unique, as they are not in the usual Spitfire packaging and at first thinking they were like the Navarrette swirl which is long out of stock, as far as I know, but I haven't seen these in this colour and graphic ever before, or at least I had some like them a while back, so they could have been a "team rider" or some other special edition.

Some of the Navarrette 56mm swirl:

https://olliedayskateshop.fr/produit/spitfire-wheels-swirl-pro-classic-navarrette-52mm-99a/

Could be just me but as far as more recent options, but the only ones I recall seeing were the orange / yellow swirl classics from last season.

https://www.tactics.com/spitfire/classic-skateboard-wheels/firefight-orange-yellow-99a

Seems like the Formula Four options come out once in a while too, some green / black conical fulls in shops now.  Most of the coloured wheels are not made in large quantities and usually sell out fairly quickly, but there still might be some around in places that don't get so much traffic, as I have found here and there.

Anyone else correct me if I am wrong though.
Yeah, was just the orange/yellow classic formulas recently.
Also to add, there is Forumula Four (Radial iirc) swirls coming in Spring for all of you who like swirled wheels :)!

EDIT: Just double checked today, turquoise/green red and black red swirls coming in the Summer.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 10:02:38 PM by thanksgiving »

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3783 on: December 20, 2021, 05:37:31 PM »

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3784 on: December 26, 2021, 07:51:54 AM »
Oslo has some radials out soonish, I don’t think they’re kader huge, but there’s still a 57mm

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3785 on: January 04, 2022, 07:07:16 PM »

^^ Yep, awesome wheels.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/

Spitfire Holiday 21 catalog update has been up for a bit, but at least if anyone wanted normal radials, as Paco said, there are 55 and 57 mm Radials out, which are pretty good for size and shape for the slightly bigger setups, without going super crazy monster truck wheel sizes (Kader Radial Full shape).

I had a set of 57mm x 35.5 with 22 riding surface, from the first run how ever many years ago and they were great.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3786 on: January 11, 2022, 01:06:49 PM »

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 550
« Reply #3787 on: January 11, 2022, 01:49:22 PM »
Went by a local shop after treating my folks to brunch and found some Kader Radial Full 60s.

No shame put them on when I got home and damn, these mofos are huge.

Haven't got to skate them yet, but I can only assume they're going to just coast over coping.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
« Reply #3788 on: January 12, 2022, 07:50:00 AM »
It's gonna be funny seeing all the 50 year old bowl Barneys and the 15 year old hypebeasts riding Kaders
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3789 on: January 12, 2022, 12:15:31 PM »
Damn Oski's pro wheels look incredible. Would make for a nice sticker or shirt.

Stupid question now..

Will I feel a difference between 99 and 101 spits?
Never had 101 duro wheels before and I am not sure I would like them.

101 duro = sliding better, rattling my bones more?

I skate mostly on crusty streets, but maybe 101d conical fulls would feel nice there?
IG: @flowterspace

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3790 on: January 12, 2022, 12:19:43 PM »
I live in the crusty Pacific Northwest and, although they’re ideal for skatepark concrete, I find the 101a to be too harsh for the streets here. 97a all the way for me, these days.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3791 on: January 12, 2022, 01:30:49 PM »

Stupid question now..

I skate mostly on crusty streets, but maybe 101d conical fulls would feel nice there?

I live in the crusty Pacific Northwest and, although they’re ideal for skatepark concrete, I find the 101a to be too harsh for the streets here. 97a all the way for me, these days.

I find the 99s to be just the most stable and constant wheel, with 101s tending to be a bit up and down with the consistency over the years.  Of three sets of 101s (all the same wheels) I have set up , one feels super grippy (even more than 97s) one is really slippery and the other is kind of sticky at times but will slide more at other times, so it is a bit funny, whereas the 99s have always felt the same, through many different sets.

I recently set up some 54 mm 97 duro conical full wheels and they sure do feel pretty good on a lot of things, but I think the 99s are still my favourite.  I do have the Classic 97 duro 56 mm on a setup as well, but that was more just an experiment with bigger transition and slippery new bowls.

The 97s take the edge off everything, be it crust or slippery smooth.  I sort of got the feeling they were a little bit slower but others had a go of my boards and couldn't tell with speed either way.

There are people who swear by 101s and others like me who prefer 99s, neither is right or wrong as they are just two different types, but also very similar and close in feel.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #3792 on: January 12, 2022, 08:32:24 PM »

Stupid question now..

In my opinion, 101 takes away a lot of the benefits of the F4 formula. 99 and below is where you get that great combination of speed, grip and satisfying slide. If you want to try a 101, I'd recommend STF's, but since you're mostly hitting the crust, I'd stay on 99. I run 99a 56mm Conical Fulls on my crust setup and love it, but might try 97 next time in a slightly smaller, narrower shape.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3793 on: January 13, 2022, 11:02:01 AM »
I am 100% committed to 99A except for slippery indoor skateparks and wooden miniramps. I found 97A to be perfect for that. I don’t skate super crusty spots but on rough asphalt I much prefer 99A over 97A. The latter feel slow and grip too much when sliding flat ground tricks.

FrontsideFrank

• Rep: 101
« Reply #3794 on: January 13, 2022, 04:58:44 PM »
 bounce back and forth between the 101s and 99s. 99 is definitely a touch friendlier in the streets, but a wide contact patch 101 still works without rattling your feet to sleep. Both have a pretty similar grip to slide ratio, with the 101s being just a hair easier to break loose. I rolled around on a buddy's 97s for a bit and I wasn't a huge fan. They're still better than other 97s out there, but they were a little grippier than I'd want (without being a whole lot more comfortable/softer than the 99s).

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #3795 on: January 14, 2022, 02:07:16 AM »
What shape for 99s? I got conical fulls in 56mm/97a for the slippery indoor park and street crust but need something faster and maybe lighter on good concrete parks

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3796 on: January 14, 2022, 03:16:45 AM »
What shape for 99s? I got conical fulls in 56mm/97a for the slippery indoor park and street crust but need something faster and maybe lighter on good concrete parks

If you like the edge on the Conical Full wheels, you could always get the same in 99, but if you wanted a little more go, I would usually say Classics are where it is at, or even Classic Full if you wanted a little wider in the same rounded shape.

There are almost too many options if people are not sure, but the rounder edge will be easier on everything and not stick so much when on coping or edges the way the Conical Full and squared shapes tend to do, which is different to how much they slide or grip on the riding surface, but again there is the smaller contact patch on Classics compared to the wider contact patch on Conical Full wheels, and all the rest in between.

Edit:  If you hadn't seen the full size chart earlier, there are a few throughout the last ten or so pages, but didn't come up on a search, apart from Page 117 with this post

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg3573166;topicseen#msg3573166

There is a better, high res full card image somewhere too, that gets reposted every now and then with all the shapes.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 03:32:38 AM by Mbrimson88 »

braksabbath

« Reply #3797 on: January 14, 2022, 08:42:24 AM »
There are def too many shapes. Didn’t know about classic fulls, that’s the one thanks.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3798 on: January 17, 2022, 01:39:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
There are almost too many options if people are not sure, but the rounder edge will be easier on everything and not stick so much when on coping or edges the way the Conical Full and squared shapes tend to do [...].

I feel conical/square vs. rounded on coping is the most noticeable difference between the shapes. Personally, I prefer the solid lock in of Conical Fulls over Classics when skating transition. My grinds are noticeably faster and longer with Classics, however I need to focus on locking in much more and still wipe out from time to time. Therefore my confidence to go faster in the first place is higher with Conical Fulls.

There is a better, high res full card image somewhere too, that gets reposted every now and then with all the shapes.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg3587166#msg3587166

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 550
« Reply #3799 on: January 17, 2022, 09:54:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
There are almost too many options if people are not sure, but the rounder edge will be easier on everything and not stick so much when on coping or edges the way the Conical Full and squared shapes tend to do [...].

I feel conical/square vs. rounded on coping is the most noticeable difference between the shapes. Personally, I prefer the solid lock in of Conical Fulls over Classics when skating transition. My grinds are noticeably faster and longer with Classics, however I need to focus on locking in much more and still wipe out from time to time. Therefore my confidence to go faster in the first place is higher with Conical Fulls.
[close]

I’ll agree with this. Went from conical fulls to radial fulls and the wide wheel and rounded edges send me sailing over coping — metal and pool. I can say the lock-in felt better with the conical fulls, but getting over the coping easier is my preference.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3800 on: January 17, 2022, 02:40:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg3587166#msg3587166

That's the one!!!!!!

I feel like you could post that on every second page and it would not be a bad thing.

I would repost it, but it was your post so seeing as you are still active, I think that would be a bit weird.

The other thing is when people (like me) go looking for SPITFIRE SHAPE CHART that doesn't come up, so if possible could you add those words to your original post, or repost that chart again - still the same link, etc - with those words, as that would be a lot easier for anyone to find.

I also wonder if they will make a chart or anything with Radial Full and Classic Full on it, or if they are just "specialty shapes" so they wouldn't appear on any normal full chart, not to mention they are running out of room too.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #3801 on: January 17, 2022, 06:53:20 PM »
I was looking for width dimensions of the radial full 60mm and end up on a UK shops page from the Google search that was using that picture I uploaded here of the size chart. It was edited a bit, but there was scratch and crease that matched up perfectly with the pic I posted here.

Shout out to whatever shop that was that browses slap gear threads for the product pages. It’s a small world after all

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #3802 on: January 17, 2022, 07:55:53 PM »
Rumor is
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Conical Fulls coming this Summer.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 09:29:17 PM by thanksgiving »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3803 on: January 18, 2022, 06:40:10 AM »
Rumor is

A 60mm 97a wheel would be hilarious. I know so many crusty dudes who would buy that.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3804 on: January 18, 2022, 02:21:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Rumor is
[close]

A 60mm 97a wheel would be hilarious. I know so many crusty dudes who would buy that.

There is definitely a market for that size, shape and duro.

As it is a lot of people are unable to get their hands on the 58mm Conical Full in 97 duro here in AU, but that would be even better actually coming out in Formula Four 97 for the slippery ramp stuff, especially the vert guys who are not so able bodied.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3805 on: January 18, 2022, 02:27:33 PM »
how will slimeballs ever recover

braksabbath

« Reply #3806 on: January 18, 2022, 02:43:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Rumor is
[close]

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #3807 on: January 20, 2022, 04:08:11 PM »
Oski Radial 55 vs. Classic 56 vs. Conical Full 54. Seems like the radial is almost an exact average/tweener of the classic and cf. It's either the perfect shape that does everything well or the worst shape that does nothing well (this is mostly a joke). Gear madness at its highest level I would say.

Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3808 on: January 21, 2022, 06:07:49 AM »
Oski Radial 55 vs. Classic 56 vs. Conical Full 54. Seems like the radial is almost an exact average/tweener of the classic and cf. It's either the perfect shape that does everything well or the worst shape that does nothing well (this is mostly a joke). Gear madness at its highest level I would say.

Thanks for these, very useful. Might have to try the Oskis.

Jowiththeflow

• Rep: 18
« Reply #3809 on: January 21, 2022, 09:36:51 AM »

The Radial Full is by far the best shape, imo.
They have a solid riding surface right out of the box (unlike the classic), and they don't lock in as much as a conical.
I love that they make me confident enough to really lean into (smith)grinds again, because I fell I can get out easily!