Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 128152 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #2190 on: May 13, 2024, 06:32:07 AM »
Wasn’t the idea I’d the stage 4 to pander to those truck buyers who incessantly want something they can’t have?  (Can’t think of where I might find these type of people) Like the Venture cast hollows?  They look good on a shaped/cruiser build and turn well from the few times I’ve tried them.

logjammin

• Rep: 345
« Reply #2191 on: May 13, 2024, 08:46:23 AM »
My 215's have been surprising me for being such a wide truck, equipped with ace medium bushings they turn as if I'm on some Ace 44's or something. The geometry is definitely stage 4. And I think they released those 100% to respond to losing to Ace. They turn even better, actually. It was definitely a fuck you, and I think they even did some subtle jabs at ace in their IG story when it was nearing release. Could just be reading into it but truck wars are real.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2192 on: May 13, 2024, 03:38:59 PM »
Wasn’t the idea I’d the stage 4 to pander to those truck buyers who incessantly want something they can’t have?  (Can’t think of where I might find these type of people) Like the Venture cast hollows?  They look good on a shaped/cruiser build and turn well from the few times I’ve tried them.

My 215's have been surprising me for being such a wide truck, equipped with ace medium bushings they turn as if I'm on some Ace 44's or something. The geometry is definitely stage 4. And I think they released those 100% to respond to losing to Ace. They turn even better, actually. It was definitely a fuck you, and I think they even did some subtle jabs at ace in their IG story when it was nearing release. Could just be reading into it but truck wars are real.

Yes, mainly for the nostalgia as well as the "need more turn" people.

More than a few people were cutting down the 215 hangers and making them into other shorter sizes, so I think that combined with the anti Ace sentiment they showed tipped them over the edge, hence the other market with various Stage 4 reissues, complete with their own sizes too, as they didn't want to compete with their own current trucks but make something a little different, but still relative in size to current boards.

I guess when there are sour grapes among some industry heads, then there will be break away brands and versions of the original that get done up, but compared to something like the Indy Mid truck, the Stage 4 reissues seem to hit the mark for most people who have them, even if some people cut down the kingpins just to make them work more for what they want.

The taller bottom bushing is the main thing that makes them turn more, as it changes the geometry just enough - amazing what 1 extra mm in the bottom bushing can do with some trucks, when I have tried various things in the interest of experimentation and seeing what happens.  Lower bottom bushings return them to a more current Stage 11 feel, although not exactly the same.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -376
  • ants suck!
« Reply #2193 on: May 13, 2024, 04:02:29 PM »

Why the hell is indy lying? FIRST EVER INVERTED KINGPIN?  Theyve had thm before
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2194 on: May 13, 2024, 05:00:14 PM »

Yea, thats weird.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2195 on: May 13, 2024, 05:56:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yea, thats weird.

Conisder it more just a marketing blurb.

More to the point, I thought that they were dropping the Indy mid truck, but here they are bringing out more options, even if it is just a graphic on the same polished truck.

Always find it a little ironic and can't help but laugh reading comments on any Indy product post now - the usual requests, comments, etc with the logo.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 812
« Reply #2196 on: May 13, 2024, 06:51:05 PM »

"First Independent inverted Kingpin" is the quote. They aren't claiming first. Grind King was the first right?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1014
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2197 on: May 13, 2024, 09:52:37 PM »
Didn't someone say the mids were being discontinued? 

They keep dropping new ones...just pushing old stock with new collabs/pro models?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2198 on: Today at 02:05:08 AM »
Didn't someone say the mids were being discontinued? 

They keep dropping new ones...just pushing old stock with new collabs/pro models?

More to the point, I thought that they were dropping the Indy mid truck, but here they are bringing out more options, even if it is just a graphic on the same polished truck.

So wouldn't it be funny if they are all just the normal excess mids that they took and put the graphic Independent word on just to spice them up a bit?!?

Most likely not, but it does seem a bit redundant any which way I look at it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #2199 on: Today at 02:19:29 AM »
Did they do an Indy mid with a regular kingpin? If they put all that money into molds and people's main issue is the inverted kingpin might be worth putting some out with normal kingpins and see how it goes.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2200 on: Today at 02:39:30 AM »
Did they do an Indy mid with a regular kingpin? If they put all that money into molds and people's main issue is the inverted kingpin might be worth putting some out with normal kingpins and see how it goes.

I would be down with some forged mids with a regular kingpin

Is that combo possible with mix matching or would it sit higher than a mid?

Forged baseplate from indy hollow etc + Mindy hanger?   

I have not done much frankentrucking ?? B4 so I dunno

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2201 on: Today at 04:39:17 AM »
I only stepped on one board with Indy mids and it felt horrible. Idk the dimensions of that deck though, so it could've just been a bad pairing. I felt like they were too low for the shorter WB that indys give you.

I like the thunder height/snap, but without extending the WB like a thunder a lower Indy just felt like the tail hit way to early and easily without much return on my energy. Probably just a timing thing, but they felt so bad.

If they had regular kingpins and I thought I could finally achieve my ultimate Indy/thunder hybrid experience through them, I would give the mids a shot.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2202 on: Today at 04:58:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve tried to assemble this exact combo, it’s just about off as far as fit is concerned. when I put an Indy mid hanger into normal Indy forged plates, you can see the hanger digs into the pivot cup area of the baseplate. literally bought a set of Indy mids just to try that. 😂
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2203 on: Today at 05:18:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ve tried to assemble this exact combo, it’s just about off as far as fit is concerned. when I put an Indy mid hanger into normal Indy forged plates, you can see the hanger digs into the pivot cup area of the baseplate. literally bought a set of Indy mids just to try that. 😂

Haha. Thx