Author Topic: Higher risk of rolling ankle in FP insoles??  (Read 6039 times)

peter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Higher risk of rolling ankle in FP insoles??
« on: June 06, 2013, 10:53:59 PM »
I put the Footprint orthotics into a pair of emerica laced yesterday and felt like my ankle was going to break. Everytime i landed it would roll, i think due to the insoles raising my foot significantly. Is there a higher risk of ankle injury when your foot is higher off the ground with insoles?? I'm hesitant to where them, any insight??

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
Re: Higher risk of rolling ankle in FP insoles??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:02:14 PM »
I don't know the statistics on this but I've had a similar experience with Dr. Scholl's insoles.  The couple centimeters it raised my foot in the shoe bed made me feel very unstable and hesitant in them as well. 
I think insoles are supposed to work better after removing the shoe's stock insole and replacing it with the orthotic, but I've never given it a significant test.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 11:10:25 PM »
Haven't rolled an ankle once and I've been using FP insoles for 2-3 years now.

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 11:43:39 PM »
Haven't rolled an ankle once and I've been using FP insoles for 2-3 years now.

great contribution garth

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 01:41:02 AM »

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 323
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 05:30:22 AM »
Been using FPs. Had two of the injectable ones and a few of those long foam ones. Never felt like they made me roll my ankles more.
Then again the Laced is a very low profile, slim shoe compared to cupsoles that I mostly used mine in.. They don't feel that good on really thin shoes in my experience- had em in a pair of the sheep remakes by es and it Didnt feel too good.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

peter

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 06:31:09 AM »
What kind of footprint insoles are you guys using? anyone with the Gold Orthotics things? Those are the ones im wearing and they raise my foot up significantly

b.v.

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 07:23:02 AM »
They are built for shoes with no midsole, like most vulc shoes that are cardboard thin.
Putting a tall insole in thicker soled shoes will cause your ankle to roll.
They aren't meant to fit in every shoe.
Look at the insole that comes stock in the laced, there is a reason they are so thin.
Thick midsole, thin insole.
Thin mid sole, thick insole.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 10:28:43 AM »
i got some of the gold ones to put in my G6's. they feel good, but are a bit higher. skated a bit in them, but i may just put them in some era's and use the regular G6 insoles. not sure the G6's even need them.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 01:17:38 PM »
I tried the FP kingfoam gold orthotics and rolled my ankle pretty bad. I could feel before that my foot was way higher off the ground vs. the old kingfoam orth. but still gave it a shot. Biggest waste, get the regular ones instead of the orthotics and problem solved. No ankle problems since

edit: I tried them in my emerica laced and yeah that feels really dangerous. I had put them in the Reynolds thinking they have ankle support so why not right? Because my ankle is jelly after a decade of skating is why.

Better to have your foot sitting the way the shoe was designed - try the 5mm FP's instead.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:22:48 PM by Firebert »

peter

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 11:34:11 PM »
Yea i dont think ill be using them, too risky

MacYoCoffee

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 10:59:48 AM »
First of all, you could start by making a better decision by not skating with insoles that obviously don't fit with the shoe.

I'm on the Kingfoam Golds w/Lakai Marcs and it's working great.  You might have to go up a half size but I don't think it's worth entirely abandoning.

peter

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 11:41:06 AM »
First of all, you could start by making a better decision by not skating with insoles that obviously don't fit with the shoe.

I'm on the Kingfoam Golds w/Lakai Marcs and it's working great.?  You might have to go up a half size but I don't think it's worth entirely abandoning.
I wasnt aware of the thickness or size of them. Even so i tried them in my new Lakai Pico XLK's and they still felt like they were gonna roll my ankle. Theyre going in my work shoes from now on!

MacYoCoffee

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 10:29:59 PM »
Expand Quote

I'm on the Kingfoam Golds w/Lakai Marcs and it's working great.?  You might have to go up a half size but I don't think it's worth entirely abandoning.
[close]
I wasnt aware of the thickness or size of them. Even so i tried them in my new Lakai Pico XLK's and they still felt like they were gonna roll my ankle. Theyre going in my work shoes from now on!

I think we can all believe in xlk just a little bit. You'll love them in your work shoes.

HIggs Bawson

• Rep: 7
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 11:44:46 AM »
Are FP's significantly better than Remind, Etc? Seems like everyone uses FP..

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »

they all suck. just save your favorite stock insoles

Will Easley

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 03:16:38 PM »
I got the Kevin Romar Gold orthopedics and they seem like solid insoles but they just havent really fit all that well in the shoes i tried skating them in. They fit perfect inside my dunks, but i tried em in my reynolds & p-rods & they just didnt really fit in there as good as id like. i only skated em in my dunks once & they seemingly did their job but i wasnt really jumping down anything so i cant speak on overall impact support. really i just havent skated them enough to form a solid opinion on them, but if you can find the right shoe for them to fit in id assume they're pretty good.

The Supra insoles with the orange gel in the heel has hands down been my favorite stock insole. Ive had some ive been putting in multiple shoes for over half a year & they're still in pretty good shape. they've got that soft, cushy feel to them while still providing a lower-profile in the toe/forefoot area with a ton of padding in the back. they absorb impact very well.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 12:41:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they all suck. just save your favorite stock insoles

Footprint

• Rep: 0
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 04:17:40 PM »
Thanks for bringing this up so we can clear it up.

There are a few reasons this can happen-

1. Most often it is due to a shoe that is too narrow. The arch will most definitely form to the shape of any foot however if it is compressed inside a narrow shoe, it loses its function. So you need to trim as much as you can around the stitching and it will loosen the compression and allow the foam to flex.

2. The first run of kingfoam gold orthotics had a slightly higher arch than usual and takes a bit longer to break in due to the higher density of the kingfoam gold. We have since adjusted the arch down back to the original kingfoam orthotics height and density in the latest productions ( any height difference would have mainly been felt on size 8 and 9)... that being said, I still enjoyed them in almost every shoe I used them in and I have extremely flat feet however i did have a pair of shoes that were just too narrow so I simply cut out the blue foam on the base of the insole directly under the arch and then it was fine. If trimming the sides isn't enough for you and you skate narrow, simply do that and you'll adjust the arch down by removing the base blue foam. There is no reason you can't skate these in any pair of shoes.

3. As far as stock insoles, its just something that can't complete. We are using the leading nano technology foam to make these insoles and our kingfoam orthotics cost not too far away from a pair of shoes in terms of production costs.

Developments:
We are super stoked on the next edition of the kingfoam orthotics that will drop end of year that just take the intelligence of the design to the next level. We are also improving the flat insoles with a slanted and extra heel cushion so they can get the most performance possible. Until then we have added an optional 3.5mm large heel pad to attach to our kingfoam insoles, jaws and kingfoam orthotics for people who want more in the heel. This will start shipping next month, in the meantime we are adding 2mm additional heel pads. We're also stoked on the denim dropping soon that was designed by Swanski, fitted for skating with excellent stretch denim and good cuts which all have kingfoam gold hidden over the hip bone. You cant really tell its there but it feels great when you slam and it doesn't hurt.

As always, if you ever have any issue with any product, do not hesitate to email [email protected] so we can solve it for you.

Skater owned,
FP
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:26:06 PM by Footprint »

peter

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »
Thanks for the response! Appreciate the thoroughness of your reply, Lookin forward to your new insoles coming out!

• Rep: 12
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
Thanks for the response! Appreciate the thoroughness of your reply, Lookin forward to your new insoles coming out!

cutest post 2013, POTY

Footprint

• Rep: 0
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 12:58:43 AM »
I wanted to reconfirm a point that as already made here- some of these cup soles out have super thin stock insoles. As little as 3 mm... If you put an orthotic in there that is 7 mm thick you are going to run into problems. In that instance you do want a 5 mm kingfoam insole. I feel Vulc is better than cup in terms of board feel and grip so one of the points of footprint is to make a Vulc perform as well as or better than a cup for impact. That's the ultimate IMO
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:26:09 AM by Footprint »

Kinch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 04:56:09 AM »
I wanted to recondite a point that as already made here- some of these cup soles out have super thin stock insoles. As little as 3 mm... If you put an orthotic in there that is 7 mm thick you are going to run into problems. In that instance you do want a 5 mm kingfoam insole. I feel Vulc is better than cup in terms of board feel and grip so one of the points of footprint is to make a Vulc perform as well as or better than a cup for impact. That's the ultimate IMO

Truth. I just got the DC Kalis shoes and the insole is so thin. Couldn't fit my FP insoles in if I wanted to. 

GarbageMan

• Rep: -6
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 10:47:48 PM »
i put some in a pair of type ii's and i rolled my ankle on the second day. worst ankle roll i have ever had too. not saying it was the insoles, but i know what you mean, and now i dont use them. you have my vote

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 02:12:16 PM »
I don't know the statistics on this but I've had a similar experience with Dr. Scholl's insoles.  The couple centimeters it raised my foot in the shoe bed made me feel very unstable and hesitant in them as well. 
I think insoles are supposed to work better after removing the shoe's stock insole and replacing it with the orthotic, but I've never given it a significant test.
It's actually not the added height but the added comfort rather. Also the knowing that when you land off that drop that your feet are going to hurt less. It's like a jynx. what to do what to do.

Also it says right on the box of Scholl's that you're supposed to take the factory insole out before you put there's in... Right next to where it tells you to cut the insole to fit your shoe.

Will Easley

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 02:18:50 PM »
ive been skating my P-Rod's with some gold orthopedics and i honestly dont even notice anything different as far as the potential for ankle rolls. it would seem like it all depends on how the insole fits in the specific shoe and wether or not it raises your foot too high.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »
ive been skating my P-Rod's with some gold orthopedics and i honestly dont even notice anything different as far as the potential for ankle rolls. it would seem like it all depends on how the insole fits in the specific shoe and wether or not it raises your foot too high.
I've got those new gamechangers (they aren't on the website yet), apparently you bake them in the oven first to make the foam soften up, then wear them as they cool-they molded to my feet pretty flawlessly. When they told me to put em in the oven at 225 for 10 minutes I thought for sure they were fucking with me, but got damn it works.

As Easley said, the thicker FPs are great for any shoe with a thick insole (lunarlon), but don't go and put them in the new emericas or adidas with paper thinsoles if you don't want your ankle to fold. I've been using 'em in the Baca Cons and Koston 2's
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:37:38 PM by Firebert »