Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 791648 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7620 on: April 29, 2024, 09:29:22 AM »
I noticed with the X99’s and I think this applies to all these new compounds is while you can manual faster…and further….it doesn’t feel the quite the same….its like wearing a condom….but maybe less pushing…

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #7621 on: April 30, 2024, 09:45:44 AM »
I came across these charts while nerding out over durometer.

According to these charts, 81b=95a and 84b=99a. Bones markets them as 81b=101a and 84b=104a.

I’m sure it’s been said before, but it goes to show how the advertised durometer is based more on marketing than actual science and industry standards.

I also just recently realized that Spitfire markets their wheels as xx duro instead of using the A scale like most other wheel brands.

I’m curious as to what the actual durometer of Bones and Spitfire are. I know there’s some wheel nerds out there with a Durometer tool. I might have to buy some for the sake of science.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #7622 on: April 30, 2024, 10:37:03 AM »

According to these charts, 81b=95a and 84b=99a. Bones markets them as 81b=101a and 84b=104a.

I’m sure it’s been said before, but it goes to show how the advertised durometer is based more on marketing than actual science and industry standards.

I also just recently realized that Spitfire markets their wheels as xx duro instead of using the A scale like most other wheel brands.

I’m curious as to what the actual durometer of Bones and Spitfire are. I know there’s some wheel nerds out there with a Durometer tool. I might have to buy some for the sake of science.

Please do it, I've been asking/wondering about that information for years. There's just no way that F4 99a and any bones 99a wheels are the same hardness.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7623 on: April 30, 2024, 02:55:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Please do it, I've been asking/wondering about that information for years. There's just no way that F4 99a and any bones 99a wheels are the same hardness.

I would be hard pressed to find the videos now, but I am sure someone has posted various wheel tests who did have the durometer tool.

Spitfire wheels for the most part were 99 or 98 in videos I saw, other wheels were a little less, even though listed as 99 or 101, like OJ Elites (going back a while, when they were still USA made) and some others had some curious results, although I don't recall seeing many / any Bones wheels duro tests.

It would definitely be interesting to see what the Spitfire 97 or 93 duro wheels came up as too.

For Bones, they are just their own product and I don't think anything can really compare exactly, maybe like the new Spitfire wheels, being so different, so even though you could compare them to other wheels, the properties and even the slide vs stick ratio on them can be so different, so I wonder if durometer is even a single good measure for something like that, after all being just a rubber test, not specifically for skateboard wheels.

From looking them up, funny how it is just a blunt needle sticking into the wheel, or something like that.

One on ebay for not much, although there are some out there for a hundred dollars or more:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/355473730346?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7624 on: April 30, 2024, 02:58:02 PM »

This is NOT the video I was thinking of, but it came up first in a quick search.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #7625 on: April 30, 2024, 04:07:49 PM »

This is NOT the video I was thinking of, but it came up first in a quick search.

Good video, thanks for sharing that. That confirms my suspicions as well

rikki

• Rep: 286
« Reply #7626 on: April 30, 2024, 11:56:53 PM »
OJ Elite 99 is definitely harder than Spitfire F4 99.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #7627 on: Today at 01:26:17 PM »
OJ Elite 99 is definitely harder than Spitfire F4 99.

No way bro. My spits feel like marble, and my OJs are way gummier/deader.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.