Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 142892 times)

FatTony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
Re: Jobs
« Reply #630 on: October 30, 2018, 09:31:15 AM »
factory work 12 hour shifts 2 weeks of nights 2 weeks of days. good pay but fuckin place sucks going to

baroque_0bama

• Rep: 21
  • Feathers McGraw
« Reply #631 on: October 30, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
Butcher

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #632 on: October 30, 2018, 02:23:28 PM »
factory work 12 hour shifts 2 weeks of nights 2 weeks of days. good pay but fuckin place sucks going to

2 weeks on 1 week of?

That's the money schedule
Gentleman ninja warlock

feedmeseymour

« Reply #633 on: October 31, 2018, 01:07:44 PM »

sleezy got a sweet job

slappypappy

• Rep: -3
« Reply #634 on: November 02, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »
programmer - got into programming many moons ago by trying to make my own skate forum! Now I get my illicit thrills lurking slap...

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #635 on: November 02, 2018, 10:40:59 PM »
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #636 on: November 02, 2018, 11:44:54 PM »
Art director in advertising.

Sorry.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #637 on: November 03, 2018, 09:06:08 AM »
Art director in advertising.

Sorry.

Do you like it? I'm an art director (by title, not experience. Work likes to promote every couple years. In reality I'm an intermediate graphic designer) I'm in the healthcare space. How do you like doing DTC stuff? I've always wondered if I'd burn out real quick in consumer stuff. I'm thinking about moving towards more of a UI/UX role in the future.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #638 on: November 03, 2018, 11:57:49 AM »
I've been working in the legal cannabis industry in Humboldt County CA, it's everything you would think it would be. An interesting thing about it is the majority of people I work with don't get high at all.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #639 on: November 03, 2018, 04:45:30 PM »
line cook/ aspiring chef
fixing hondas

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #640 on: November 04, 2018, 01:43:20 AM »

sleezy got a sweet job

get photoshopped on slap

CHECK!

lol

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #641 on: November 04, 2018, 07:43:05 AM »
I've been working in the legal cannabis industry in Humboldt County CA, it's everything you would think it would be. An interesting thing about it is the majority of people I work with don't get high at all.

I'm sorry to hear man
Gentleman ninja warlock

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #642 on: November 04, 2018, 08:28:51 PM »
Expand Quote
I just got an offer today for a mechanical engineering position and I am beyond stoked.
[close]

That's what I've been doing for 4 years now and it's quite cool.
I have a lot of free time to skate, lot of days off, and a decent salary.

First off congrats to both you guys... just out of curiosity did you go to Grad School or do you just have a BA?  I'm in dire need of a career change and have been looking into engineering.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #643 on: November 04, 2018, 08:51:11 PM »
Just bumping this because, similarly to whoever did the same thing two years ago, I'm always interested in reading what people are up to career-wise. Maybe some members who didn't post last time around will see this, or if anyone has progressed/changed fields/whatever...

I work in the study abroad office at the university where I did my undergrad (fairly large school, ~30,000 students). I manage all of the financial matters: creating program budgets, charging student accounts, payroll for faculty-led programs, etc. It's okay. Kind of crossing a bridge right now, as I worked in the accounts payable office throughout the last two years of undergrad, gaining financial experience (I studied philosophy and literature with a french minor, so completely unrelated to what I was doing at the time), but I'm really pretty sick of administrative number crunching. I've more or less been doing it since I was in high school, with a few factory and call center jobs thrown in during the early college years. After graduating in May of 17, I had a 6-month contract as a compliance analyst for a F500 corporation hq'd in my city, and the pay was nice but the corporate atmosphere was stifling and it was back to the 9-5 grind (which definitely has its perks, don't get me wrong).
Like I said, I really want to get out of the administrative side of things, and even though I enjoy the environment I'm in now, I'd rather have more student contact and be able to travel like some of my colleagues. However, budgets are tight, and I don't see any of them leaving anytime soon. If I can't leverage my current experience in international education into something at another university, like a program coordinator or international student recruiter, in the next year or so I'm thinking about going through a post-bac/master's program to become certified to teach English at the high school level. I'm kind of questioning that as well, as there are many strong drawbacks to teaching and it's the kind of profession in which there is no neutral, "it's an okay job" kind of stance, you either love it or get burnt the fuck out from mismanagement of stress in a couple of years, and if the latter then that's a lot of wasted time and money to get certified...
yo I'm in the same industry and am very much looking to get back into intl. student recruitment and working in admissions. The company I currently work for help universities come up with strategies to internationalize their programs/ campuses but they fucked me overly majorly last week and I really miss talking/ working directly with students .... I'm lucky in that I currently work remotely but being fucked over that hard is going to dent my career pretty hard so I need an exit plan. Luckily, I have worked with lots of schools and people in the industry over the last 7 years so hopefully I can salvage some of my connections from that?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 08:53:23 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #644 on: November 04, 2018, 10:16:10 PM »
Gism post got me thinking, LinkedIn is bullshit, right? They brag about having 500+ mil profiles but I don't really see a point, besides applying for positions. People rave about how you can get head hunted, any truth to this? Most people, as far as I have seen, get jobs with real connections...

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #645 on: November 05, 2018, 12:41:36 AM »
Gism post got me thinking, LinkedIn is bullshit, right? They brag about having 500+ mil profiles but I don't really see a point, besides applying for positions. People rave about how you can get head hunted, any truth to this? Most people, as far as I have seen, get jobs with real connections...

I think it depends on the industry you are working in and what you are doing in this industry. I have a profile on the german equivalent of linkedin and got headhunted pretty hard when my last company went to shit. Somehow all the headhunters knew that people would be willing to jump ship. In the end my new job came from a real connection though. I would say if you have niche skills in an industry with high demand(like software development in my case) it can be worth it.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #646 on: November 05, 2018, 01:00:20 AM »
yeah, people add you all the time but does it really lead to anything? I guess as neck protector mentioned, if they have some insider info that your company is going to shit (like mine currently is) then maybe it *could* happen. But just by me trying to clean up this complete mess that management created, some of the people I've been Skypeing etc. are already like, "we'd be happy to take you on with us if you like" so yeah, real world connections are always going to trump algorithms and recruiters literally trawling through to linked in to try and get any bites they can.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #647 on: November 05, 2018, 10:38:48 AM »
I'm at art department monkey in the film industry. I help make the commercials you see during sporting events.
Actively taking away from culture here.
The cool thing is a lot of film guys skate (or used to skate) so that helps a lot.

And I run a tiny skateboard company. Thats fun. Not very lucrative though.
Do you make decks?
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #648 on: November 05, 2018, 07:56:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah, people add you all the time but does it really lead to anything? I guess as neck protector mentioned, if they have some insider info that your company is going to shit (like mine currently is) then maybe it *could* happen. But just by me trying to clean up this complete mess that management created, some of the people I've been Skypeing etc. are already like, "we'd be happy to take you on with us if you like" so yeah, real world connections are always going to trump algorithms and recruiters literally trawling through to linked in to try and get any bites they can.

i made a linkedin profile years ago but i never use it but i seem to always get hit up by greedy recruiters trying to make a buck. they just search for keywords and go fishing. i doubt anything would actually pan out for me since my title sounds way better than my actual skill set.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #649 on: November 05, 2018, 11:04:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

i made a linkedin profile years ago but i never use it but i seem to always get hit up by greedy recruiters trying to make a buck. they just search for keywords and go fishing. i doubt anything would actually pan out for me since my title sounds way better than my actual skill set.

Yeah, I can see how these bastards looking for consultants, like Adecco and other scum. It's usually terrible short term contracts, compared if you're working "in-house".

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #650 on: November 06, 2018, 02:00:47 AM »
I got an interview because of LinkedIn. I basically connected with a guy who worked at a company I wanted to work at, and we talked a bit, then we met at a tradeshow and the next day I had an interview scheduled. That wouldn't ever have happened without.
It of course depends on what business you are in, or want to get into. But it doesn't hurt to have a LinkedIn profile, or a profile at more industry specific sites. Sure, you have to deal with recruiters and all of those bullshit accounts, but I think it's worth it for certain industries.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #651 on: November 06, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »
the only bad thing about linked in is that ive recently been getting inundated with spam from companies trying to sell their services to my company.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #652 on: November 06, 2018, 01:04:26 PM »
i landed my current job from linked in, and its deff the best job ive had yet. but linked in kinda does suck, i get messages from people in india offering to edit my photos for me... what kinda shitty photographer doesn't know how to edit their own photos?

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #653 on: November 06, 2018, 05:03:06 PM »
I've had a few people reach out through LinkedIn. Not sure how many others they went looking to, but I guess the area I work in is on the smaller side (somewhat "specialized") within a larger industry. My uncle said he would do a lot of hiring through it as well, but again I think that was for a more specialized role. Seems good for job postings, but I don't think it's all that important. I guess it's kind of like a resume that's always visible. Doesn't hurt to have I guess.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #654 on: November 07, 2018, 08:48:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just got an offer today for a mechanical engineering position and I am beyond stoked.
[close]

[close]

First off congrats to both you guys... just out of curiosity did you go to Grad School or do you just have a BA?  I'm in dire need of a career change and have been looking into engineering.

I'm french, so I started by doing a two-years technical degree (specialized in mechanical engineering)
After that I did a 3 years apprenticeship, half week in a company, and half week in an engineering school.

I know that you can also start the apprenticeship if you had a previous job and want to have the engineer grade.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Grampa

« Reply #655 on: November 07, 2018, 09:51:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm french, so I started by doing a two-years technical degree (specialized in mechanical engineering)
After that I did a 3 years apprenticeship, half week in a company, and half week in an engineering school.

I know that you can also start the apprenticeship if you had a previous job and want to have the engineer grade.

I just got my BS. Took me quite awhile because I didn’t really finish high school the real way so I had to take a ton of community college classes to make up for that. For the most part, grad school isn’t  super necessary to find a job in engineering.

baroque_0bama

• Rep: 21
  • Feathers McGraw
« Reply #656 on: November 07, 2018, 02:45:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Butcher
[close]

Works at Whole Foods confirmed

hahaha I wish man. They have power tools and shit.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #657 on: November 07, 2018, 08:08:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I just got my BS. Took me quite awhile because I didn’t really finish high school the real way so I had to take a ton of community college classes to make up for that. For the most part, grad school isn’t  super necessary to find a job in engineering.

Oh nice this is actually somewhat helpful (and positive) news.  I already have a BA in fine arts, which is about as useful as telling potential jobs that I have a great rep on Slap.  However all my electives are taken care of so I could probably earn my degree in 2 years. 

Thanks for answering guys

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #658 on: November 07, 2018, 08:25:52 PM »
^^^^I was going to get a BS in fine arts but did graphic design instead. That didn't help a lit as well, especially since I live in the Bay Area. I should have gotten into coding instead. Would have at least been more fitting to get a job now.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #659 on: November 08, 2018, 12:47:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh nice this is actually somewhat helpful (and positive) news.  I already have a BA in fine arts, which is about as useful as telling potential jobs that I have a great rep on Slap.  However all my electives are taken care of so I could probably earn my degree in 2 years. 

Thanks for answering guys
Would love to jump in on this as I'm a mechanical engineer.
What are you guys doing with your degrees? Engineering jobs are so broad I always wonder what people are doing after college.