Author Topic: bikes  (Read 308898 times)

thebacker

Re: bikes
« Reply #2850 on: December 12, 2022, 08:44:41 AM »

this is certainly an incredible human feat and all shot by the rider himself

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #2851 on: December 12, 2022, 12:29:45 PM »
Expand Quote
I kind of can’t believe that people are still doing the fixed gear thing. I guess Instagram really gave it a new life. Imagine if that shit exists in ~06-10.
[close]

My commute to/from the train is only a couple of miles so I picked up a cheap fixie on sale to relive the old glory days, and it’s been fun but I definitely need the brakes now.

Insane looking back I was riding brakeless fixed around Los Angeles, no helmet

Would still like to do a fixed gear century at some point. Furthest I have done fixed is about 72 miles. Wasn't that bad.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2852 on: December 12, 2022, 01:01:15 PM »
i rode from my old apartment in brooklyn to philly for FDR 4th of july in 2015 on a track bike. it was alright but i rode a lot farther on a geared bike

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1087
« Reply #2853 on: December 12, 2022, 05:02:16 PM »
i rode from my old apartment in brooklyn to philly for FDR 4th of july in 2015 on a track bike. it was alright but i rode a lot farther on a geared bike

That’s quite a ride. Curious as to what road you spent the most time on. Rt 1? Did you make use of any bike trails like the Raritan Canal or did you just stick to asphalt?

skateboardnorth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #2854 on: December 20, 2022, 03:28:18 PM »
I've never been a fan of indoor training, but I found a really cheap smart trainer and bought it.  I've been having a blast on Zwift so far.  My setup is pretty inefficient, so I won't be winning races or anything, but I'm doing it for the fitness.  Anyone else here using Zwift during the winter months? 

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #2855 on: December 21, 2022, 09:10:18 AM »
I ride a track bike because I'm too stupid to service a shifter at home

edit: and it's fun. obviousness

Yeah, that part I get. I was just a very active participant in track bike riding when it first become popular in the mid-aughts and I thought it died off, but it really seems to have reemerged thanks to Instagram.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2856 on: December 21, 2022, 09:13:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I kind of can’t believe that people are still doing the fixed gear thing. I guess Instagram really gave it a new life. Imagine if that shit exists in ~06-10.
[close]

My commute to/from the train is only a couple of miles so I picked up a cheap fixie on sale to relive the old glory days, and it’s been fun but I definitely need the brakes now.

[close]

Would still like to do a fixed gear century at some point. Furthest I have done fixed is about 72 miles. Wasn't that bad.

I have a Trek 410? 420? Man, I don't remember, but I had an 80s Trek sport-touring bike which I converted to fixed gear and I used it for a number of very long rides including what we termed a "Vampire Century," which was when my friends and I would leave at 11 PM and ride a century overnight. Those were always the absolute best rides.

buffalo hunter

• Rep: 35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2857 on: December 25, 2022, 10:34:58 AM »
Night time centuries are the best. Stopping at a petrol station at 4 am and drinking a 1/2 gallon of chocolate milk to stay alert and awake on a double century. I did a 350 mile ride in 24 hours which was brutal the last 50 miles. Walking was a struggle for a few days. I ended up averaging 15.9 mph for the ride.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #2858 on: December 25, 2022, 02:35:53 PM »
I've never been a fan of indoor training, but I found a really cheap smart trainer and bought it.  I've been having a blast on Zwift so far.  My setup is pretty inefficient, so I won't be winning races or anything, but I'm doing it for the fitness.  Anyone else here using Zwift during the winter months?

Which one did you get? I’ve never been able or interested in indoor training either. I just get so bored after 20 minutes no matter what I do. But I think it’s time to give it another try. I haven’t looked into trainers but I don’t want to spend to much.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2859 on: December 26, 2022, 02:16:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have a Trek 410? 420? Man, I don't remember, but I had an 80s Trek sport-touring bike which I converted to fixed gear and I used it for a number of very long rides including what we termed a "Vampire Century," which was when my friends and I would leave at 11 PM and ride a century overnight. Those were always the absolute best rides.

Damn, riding all night sounds crazy. Probably wouldn’t be able to handle it substance free, haha.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #2860 on: December 26, 2022, 08:38:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Which one did you get? I’ve never been able or interested in indoor training either. I just get so bored after 20 minutes no matter what I do. But I think it’s time to give it another try. I haven’t looked into trainers but I don’t want to spend to much.
i just have a normal non-smart kinetic fluid trainer and i always found it to be such a slog, struggling to get even 15 minutes on it because it's so boring. lately my hack to do longer rides has been to put on some powerviolence shit and just try to get as sweaty as possible, it works. i'd be interested in some better home training solutions.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #2861 on: December 26, 2022, 08:52:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i just have a normal non-smart kinetic fluid trainer and i always found it to be such a slog, struggling to get even 15 minutes on it because it's so boring. lately my hack to do longer rides has been to put on some powerviolence shit and just try to get as sweaty as possible, it works. i'd be interested in some better home training solutions.

That sounds like the direction I was heading it, getting a non fluid one. I’m thinking if I can get 2-3 sessions a week of about 30 minutes each I’d be happy. Not exciting but Just something to keep the legs moving in the off season.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2862 on: December 26, 2022, 09:20:01 AM »
Fwiw I see trainers at the thrift store all the time. Obviously not a smart trainer and I know several people who have made Zwift their entire winter activity, but if you were looking for something to get started you could do a lot worse.

My non-negotiable piece of trainer advice is get a trainer tire. I cannot tell you how many people I’ve known to blow out their regular tire on the trainer. They are a bitch to install, but they are in fact necessary.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2863 on: December 26, 2022, 09:23:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn, riding all night sounds crazy. Probably wouldn’t be able to handle it substance free, haha.

There’s usually something being passed around, although I usually stayed mostly sober back then. There has been other times when I’ve popped a random pill someone told me was a painkiller or some weird French speed, and I’ve had “mushroom tea” high in the mountains one night on our bikes and that was something.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2864 on: December 29, 2022, 07:27:56 AM »

I started three days ago.  I've never made it more than 20 minutes on a trainer before. 
Did 2 short training lessons to get the feel for it.  An hour long group ride, then an 18 mile race.  All in 2 days.
So I feel it works for keeping my interest.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

eliss568

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2865 on: January 01, 2023, 09:34:09 AM »
I own a Yamaha FJR1300. It’s my 13th motorcycle and I love it because it’s comfortable for my 6′1″ frame. The fairing keeps me warm in cold weather. It’s a good looking motorcycle here and I love the color.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2866 on: January 01, 2023, 06:48:45 PM »
I’m not into BMX but someone kick flipped a bike like the Gonz was trying

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmryQjIrdTg/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2867 on: January 01, 2023, 10:09:58 PM »
Sold my 2020 giant defy advanced 2 to a homie and purchased a Look 785 Huez full carbon with Sram rival axs. Loved the defy and enjoyed it for a season but this year it dawned on me that the bike was just too big, lot of lower back issues, hand numbness, rides after 15 miles became unpleasant. The new Look is a rocketship. Its much faster than the defy but really shines on climbs. First time riding an electronic group set and it’s crazy satisfying. Now I just need to ride the damn thing.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #2868 on: January 10, 2023, 11:12:41 AM »
Anyone on Zwift? I gifted myself the Zwift Hub for Christmas (came in Jan 6 tho 😂) and so far, I’m loving it.

I’m hoping to get into shape — been off for the board/bike for months since birth of my son — and come mid year, maybe gift myself a bike for my birthday. Time to try out Sram AXS and go from mech to electronic.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2869 on: January 10, 2023, 12:25:56 PM »
Sold my 2020 giant defy advanced 2 to a homie and purchased a Look 785 Huez full carbon with Sram rival axs. Loved the defy and enjoyed it for a season but this year it dawned on me that the bike was just too big, lot of lower back issues, hand numbness, rides after 15 miles became unpleasant. The new Look is a rocketship. Its much faster than the defy but really shines on climbs. First time riding an electronic group set and it’s crazy satisfying. Now I just need to ride the damn thing.

I'm shopping for an AXS bike now as well, but I'm coming from Dura Ace Di2. Sold my bike at the beginning of winter and waiting for stuff to come back into stock. Look 785 is a great bike though, congrats

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2870 on: January 10, 2023, 12:31:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm shopping for an AXS bike now as well, but I'm coming from Dura Ace Di2. Sold my bike at the beginning of winter and waiting for stuff to come back into stock. Look 785 is a great bike though, congrats

I’ve been on Shimano my whole riding career and I’m legit curious about how big of a difference the feel of going from Dura Ace mech to AXS will be.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2871 on: January 10, 2023, 01:22:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ve been on Shimano my whole riding career and I’m legit curious about how big of a difference the feel of going from Dura Ace mech to AXS will be.

Everyone I know who runs it swears by it. So much simpler to set up, simpler to use, just really easy and functional. The jump from mechanical to electronic is very cool and the SRAM stuff just seems to work super well.

The only bummer is the one or two times I wanted to go ride and didn't realize my battery was dead on my Di2, otherwise totally worth it.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2872 on: January 10, 2023, 01:44:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Everyone I know who runs it swears by it. So much simpler to set up, simpler to use, just really easy and functional. The jump from mechanical to electronic is very cool and the SRAM stuff just seems to work super well.

The only bummer is the one or two times I wanted to go ride and didn't realize my battery was dead on my Di2, otherwise totally worth it.

Oof. That’s a scary thought. No shifting. Basically a fixed gear at that point.

What gearing ratio are ya’ll roadies running? If going for the new AXS, I’m thinking 46/33/1033 for all around as I want to climb more. Especially since I’m coming from a 53/39/1132. The more spinning would be nice?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2873 on: January 10, 2023, 01:49:39 PM »
I've been on 46/30 for nearly a decade - I had to import a Sugino subcompact crank from Japan in order to get that ratio back in ~2014 or whenever. My understanding from friends still in the industry is that 53/39 is almost totally dead, even the roadies are on 50/34 or one of the other compact combinations which the major manufacturers offer. More spinning is always always always better, especially for skaters who actually do have to think about knee longevity, but also it works better for nearly all riding styles.

Personally I love my 46/30 with the 11/36 cassette, although if I am being honest, I spend much more time riding my "commuter" bike with its triple crankset.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2874 on: January 10, 2023, 02:41:03 PM »
Yea, I’m on old Shimano 7900 and 5700 (training bike) and both have 53/39. Compact wasn’t really a popular thing 12 years ago and I’m too lazy to try to find parts for those bikes.

But would love to get them to compact gearing for cheap of possible.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2875 on: January 10, 2023, 04:33:51 PM »
Yea, I’m on old Shimano 7900 and 5700 (training bike) and both have 53/39. Compact wasn’t really a popular thing 12 years ago and I’m too lazy to try to find parts for those bikes.

I was on 52/36 with an 11/28 on my previous bike which was sort of best all around riding for me. I'm aiming for my new bike to be 48/35 with a 10-36 cassette which I'm pretty excited about.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #2876 on: January 10, 2023, 05:04:20 PM »
What is everyone’s favorite rain gear or recommendations

I got a helmet finally and wear a cycling cap underneath to keep my head warm and rain out of my eyes.

Got a rain coat from REI with vents so I don’t sweat a lot

I’m looking to get more gear since I bike to commute and public transpo sucks and got no car.

Any tips for bike maintenance while riding in the rain?

nothing's been the since same

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2877 on: January 10, 2023, 05:56:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was on 52/36 with an 11/28 on my previous bike which was sort of best all around riding for me. I'm aiming for my new bike to be 48/35 with a 10-36 cassette which I'm pretty excited about.

Yea, I'm hoping to make my next bike a 46/33 with a 10-33 cassette. Enough for me to sprint on straightaways while also being able to spin as I want to start climbing more. And climbing on a 53/39 (big ring only) is TOUGH.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2878 on: January 10, 2023, 05:58:20 PM »
What is everyone’s favorite rain gear or recommendations

I got a helmet finally and wear a cycling cap underneath to keep my head warm and rain out of my eyes.

Got a rain coat from REI with vents so I don’t sweat a lot

I’m looking to get more gear since I bike to commute and public transpo sucks and got no car.

Any tips for bike maintenance while riding in the rain?

If you're riding clipless — booties/covers help a for keeping your feet dry-ish.

Fenders — self explanatory.

A good Cordura lined bag to keep your dry clothes in.

Thicker riding gloves — frigid fingers when commuting sucks!

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2879 on: January 10, 2023, 07:57:14 PM »
I run a north face shell over whatever I’m wearing.
Quick dry, shorts that I’ll wear all day
Hydrophobic summer warmers underneath so I’m not soaked.
I ride flats so mostly rubber Nike sb Nigel shoes seem to work well for me
Musguard removable fenders front and back
And a long bill cycling cap to cover my eyes/face
With some winter full finger gloves with the repellent uppers