Author Topic: Funniest “beginner” tricks  (Read 2735 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
Funniest “beginner” tricks
« on: May 22, 2022, 08:24:29 PM »
Moving this over from the unpopular opinion thread: what are the funniest/best “beginner” tricks you’ve done or seen?

I used to do bs shuv it w/ an opposite way body varial on the neighbors driveway that I called “funny shuvs”, waiting for a pro to throw that one down something big….

Also, how about fakie rock n roll where you basically turn 360 degrees with a lil Rock in the middle. That’s a good one to impress the homies with on a 2’ quarterpipe.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
Re: Funniest “beginner” tricks
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 08:30:44 PM »
fs180s (transition excepted) are gauche as fuck. really not a good looking trick to me
what's even worse is fs5050 fs180 out, it's every new skater's cool trick but it looks Shit
add bs noseslide shuv it out coming to a stop to the list
5050 nollie back shove it.

CrappyChan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 09:08:03 PM »
Manual front 180 is pretty ass
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 397
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 09:08:26 PM »
5050 to tail shuv out was how i got tech starting out.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 09:20:13 PM »
Oh shit I almost forgot. is Fakie big spin the GOAT beginner trick???

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 641
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 09:40:59 PM »
Damn dropping some hard ass tricks in here. I hate to see what counts as intermediate or advanced.

Quarter-pipe fly-out is the ultimate beginner trick. I remember feeling like I must have gotten like 6 feet of air even though I was probably getting like 2 inches above the deck.

My advanced beginner trick was to basically run into a curb going a decent speed, nose stall, grab indy and then pull the whole board up on to the curb. I thought I was some kind of tech-wizard.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 09:42:19 PM »
fs180s (transition excepted) are gauche as fuck. really not a good looking trick to me
what's even worse is fs5050 fs180 out, it's every new skater's cool trick but it looks Shit

I consider myself a decent ledge skater but goddamn I hate doing this trick, can never get the weight distribution right to pop a FS 180 out so I end up doing a Nollie FS 180 out.

FS No Comply - beginners don't need to have mastered an ollie to do
Fakie / Nollie Shove

Quarter-pipe fly-out is the ultimate beginner trick. I remember feeling like I must have gotten like 6 feet of air even though I was probably getting like 2 inches about the above.

They've exploded in popularity recently at my local park, got to watch out for kids going Mach speed and hucking themselves out of the bowls.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 10:11:37 PM »
Moving this over from the unpopular opinion thread: what are the funniest/best “beginner” tricks you’ve done or seen?

I used to do bs shuv it w/ an opposite way body varial on the neighbors driveway that I called “funny shuvs”, waiting for a pro to throw that one down something big….

Also, how about fakie rock n roll where you basically turn 360 degrees with a lil Rock in the middle. That’s a good one to impress the homies with on a 2’ quarterpipe.
Used to call that shove it with an opposite body varial "pop n swap" also would do a "pop n push" where you kinda do an ollie but push before you land and lastly "pop n hop" where you basically do the same thing but nosegrab and jump.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 10:33:20 PM »
Oh shit I almost forgot. is Fakie big spin the GOAT beginner trick???
most definitely

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 10:39:04 PM »
the one where you start with the board upside down with your toes underneath and then jump and do like half a heelflip. kids dig that. fakie bigspin is definitely the GOAT beginner stunt - i remember feeling like an absolute legend doing those the first few times.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Resident Jeff

• Rep: 20
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 10:52:48 PM »
Agreed on nollie shuvs & fakie bigspins.

I felt like a king the first time I landed those…
Reschs Refreshes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2022, 11:11:06 PM »
Strawberry Milkshake….

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2022, 11:25:48 PM »
No pop fakie shuvs are definitely up there

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1571
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2022, 11:40:31 PM »
There's a few tricks I like to show to the kids I see struggle on flatground ollies at the skatepark when they start looking so frustrated about the process their face reads 'I'm about to start hating skating', usually based on 'alternative' ways to get height when cruising around even with zero technical skill:

- early grabs (I like early mute/ideally japan, also because I never really did any other variation myself);
- beanplants;
- pop the nose into your leading hand/run/bomb drop back onto the board;
- kickback (the no-pop half kickflip Ben Kadow brought back);
- no-pop nose shuvs/powerslide shoves if I notice they can powerslide or revert, also one-footed reverts;
- step hop front shove;
- kick the board around so that it does like a 720 spin on the ground as you run next to it then catch it again;
- if there's a wall, approach backside then pop and kick the board up into a wallride but you stay on the ground and lead it into your hand to grab it, then run and bomb drop;
- bunch of classic Neil Blender fun moves;
- walk the dog;
- 'ollie main' or hand ollie, it's a normal ollie but your front foot instantly comes out like a one-foot and it's your leading hand that reaches down and does the motion the front foot normally would by rubbing against the grip tape (no grab so it's not a scarewalk; instead you 'karate chop');
- if they can do like frontside 180's and fakie shuvs or bigspins, I show them how to connect those tricks together and challenge them to do them in succession with no push and just flow, also introduce them to the idea of body varials or one-footed landings;
- I never expect them to try it, but 360 flip step hop seems especially fascinating to kids when they first see it;

I think it's just cool to show kids skating doesn't have to be linear and especially not boring, every single time I've done it all have appreciated it and sometimes I'll run into them years later and they've incorporated some of what I've showed them into their own style, always feels like a blessing and a win for skating as a communication tool.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 12:25:25 AM »
Rock fakie to fakie tail

To rock fakie

To fakie tail

To rock fakie

To…

scary

• Rep: -7
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2022, 12:28:45 AM »
No comply bump jumping up curbs.
Early grabbing, putting your Other hand down and rolling off a drop
Hands on the quarterpipe frontside rock (lame but fun)
Nose pivot disasters
Caveman 5050s (or sean pablo caveman krooks)

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2022, 12:49:31 AM »
Imagine a big crew of skaters pushing their ass down the street, one of them noticing a pretty girl walking down the sidewalk. He risks everything to get her attention among the multitude of his peers. Knowing full well he's unable to do the ollies, 180s and coveted kickflips of his comrades, he risks everything to lift his front wheels off of the ground. He's done it! He's doing the flatground manual! He flails his arms in attempt to keep it going as long as he can but, alas, he drags his tail  and shuffles around to keep his balance. He glances over to the girl, but she didn't notice. With a sigh of relief, he continues his maneuver into the sunset. Little did he know that she wasn't even aware of his presence to begin with. One question still remains, "when will the manual end?"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 12:57:07 AM by UselessAsshole »

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2022, 01:50:31 AM »
the one where you start with the board upside down with your toes underneath and then jump and do like half a heelflip. kids dig that. fakie bigspin is definitely the GOAT beginner stunt - i remember feeling like an absolute legend doing those the first few times.
That's the goat beginner trick. Then leveling up and doing a one and a half flip, feeling super proud of yourself that you did almost a DOUBLE flip when even the best kids in your group can only do a normal kickflip

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2022, 02:39:26 AM »
We used to call them poor mans ollies, you pop the tail, plant the back foot, slide the front and jump. It’s like a no comply with the back foot.

As far as what I see beginners doing: boneless where the tail doesn’t hit the ground and they just sort of lift up.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2022, 02:53:59 AM »
also i love it when someone's busting out like caveman acid drops, just jumpin' off shit and landing on your board.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2022, 03:53:58 AM »
There's a few tricks I like to show to the kids I see struggle on flatground ollies at the skatepark when they start looking so frustrated about the process their face reads 'I'm about to start hating skating', usually based on 'alternative' ways to get height when cruising around even with zero technical skill:

- early grabs (I like early mute/ideally japan, also because I never really did any other variation myself);
- beanplants;
- pop the nose into your leading hand/run/bomb drop back onto the board;
- kickback (the no-pop half kickflip Ben Kadow brought back);
- no-pop nose shuvs/powerslide shoves if I notice they can powerslide or revert, also one-footed reverts;
- step hop front shove;
- kick the board around so that it does like a 720 spin on the ground as you run next to it then catch it again;
- if there's a wall, approach backside then pop and kick the board up into a wallride but you stay on the ground and lead it into your hand to grab it, then run and bomb drop;
- bunch of classic Neil Blender fun moves;
- walk the dog;
- 'ollie main' or hand ollie, it's a normal ollie but your front foot instantly comes out like a one-foot and it's your leading hand that reaches down and does the motion the front foot normally would by rubbing against the grip tape (no grab so it's not a scarewalk; instead you 'karate chop');
- if they can do like frontside 180's and fakie shuvs or bigspins, I show them how to connect those tricks together and challenge them to do them in succession with no push and just flow, also introduce them to the idea of body varials or one-footed landings;
- I never expect them to try it, but 360 flip step hop seems especially fascinating to kids when they first see it;

I think it's just cool to show kids skating doesn't have to be linear and especially not boring, every single time I've done it all have appreciated it and sometimes I'll run into them years later and they've incorporated some of what I've showed them into their own style, always feels like a blessing and a win for skating as a communication tool.

You sound like a legendary old cunt to have at the skatepark. (no sarcasm)
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

IpathCats

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2022, 03:59:24 AM »
All sorts of boneless-esque shenanigans. Jumping onto walls and tables. Spinning, handflips, shuvs. Total violation.

disappointed

• Rep: 100
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2022, 04:01:04 AM »

This thread is basically my trick bag. And I’ve been skating (on and off) for 20yrs:P

somefucker

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2022, 04:05:30 AM »
No comply bump jumping up curbs.
Early grabbing, putting your Other hand down and rolling off a drop
Hands on the quarterpipe frontside rock (lame but fun)
Nose pivot disasters
Caveman 5050s (or sean pablo caveman krooks)

i would honestly love to see a beginner do this

decoi1

• Rep: 18
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2022, 04:29:21 AM »
Varial flip

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2022, 04:32:17 AM »
Kickflip body varials.

QixHexagon

• Rep: 29
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2022, 04:35:05 AM »
Nollie popless shuvit (180 or 360). I remember a guy on my street used to do these before I started skating. I thought they were quite difficult until I actually tried and learned them fast -- which proves how easy they were, since I always sucked.

IpathCats

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2022, 05:07:24 AM »
Flat ground nosegrabs.

Tbh I kinda missed the point of this thread, and just read "beginner tricks" and skipped the funny part.

Funniest, would have to be every kid (myself included) trying some primo shit after seeing mullen do it in the thps2 cutscenes. Just so blown away by riding on the side of his skateboard. I have retained the ability to do a little primo flip  off the edge of my nose from my youth. I'll bust it out for kids and parents from time to time, they always get a kick out of it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 05:14:25 AM by IpathCats »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1970
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2022, 05:22:12 AM »
I thought I was so gnar for doing nollie 360 shuvs as a kid.

A kid I knew growing up would always challenge people to games of SKATE on the park's mini quarterpipe and he would do the most silly combos that just involved standing on the coping. Axle stall to 5-0 to axle to smith to axle to feeble to axle to 5-0 to axle to tail kinda tricks.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2022, 05:31:28 AM »
Not so much beginner but some early missteps most take: shove tailgrab, benihana/any one foot grab, flyouts, nosemanny 360 shove, nosemanny shove Manny, 5050 to anything, nosemanny pivot to fakie Manny. Maybe not so funny themselves but the fact they come up so often is