Author Topic: Jamie Griffin missing since the batb..  (Read 15454 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
Re: Jamie Griffin missing since the batb..
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2024, 03:27:53 AM »
Expand Quote
I think many have noticed but Jamie Griffin has been completely inactive on the networks since his victory during the batb.. What is really going on ? Demotivation by being too much in the competitive spirit ? Too much waiting ? I heard that he was in a depression or something.. If anyone has any info.

Sad to see such a talented guy who seemed to be madly in love disappear like that from the skateboarding world.. I hope the negative comments haven't broken him psychologically..
[close]

Winter in Ireland

Could well be it. Irish winters are shite
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Crust

• Rep: 45
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2024, 03:30:48 AM »
Expand Quote
I think many have noticed but Jamie Griffin has been completely inactive on the networks since his victory during the batb.. What is really going on ? Demotivation by being too much in the competitive spirit ? Too much waiting ? I heard that he was in a depression or something.. If anyone has any info.

Sad to see such a talented guy who seemed to be madly in love disappear like that from the skateboarding world.. I hope the negative comments haven't broken him psychologically..
[close]

Winter in Ireland

Winter in Ireland sucks, but it didn't really stop him this much before. He could still skate his garage or an indoor carpark.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2024, 03:38:25 AM »
Some of his clips are really out of this world like the shit he did at macba was insane. I know hardflip late flip kinda goofy trick but fine the Danny Brady set was pretty well executed. He reminds me kind of like Rodney Mullen questionable era he’s starting to really put together street with his freestyle ability. It’s very difficult to mess these two things together as both take a lifetime to master

bohemian

• Rep: -324
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2024, 03:44:42 AM »
how about everybody here goes to fuck themselves?

seeing this dudes skateboarding real life is mind altering. noone here can even comprehend, and dont give me the style is whack bullshit. noone cares. you dance however you like.

D10S

• Rep: -56
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2024, 05:17:03 AM »
I was not a fan of Jamie b/c I figured he was a && type character with circus tricks.

But the way he played his BATB finals, the way he managed the Cariuma orcs thrown at him throughout the qualifiers and his gentleman-y demeanor overall won me over. 

Hope he is doing well and I can't wait to see him three-peat!

Pine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2024, 06:45:22 AM »
I skated with Jamie a few days after his BATB win and the day before he left to go home. He definitely seemed a bit off for someone who just won a contest, although it be BATB its still a pretty notable achievement. Times I've skated with him in the past he seemed like a pretty cheerful, happy go lucky dude who just loves skating. This most recent time he didn't seem to show many emotions. I was asking him some things that I had wondered about this years BATB and none of them were good. For example, those boards being sold with the finalists faces on them, none of those skaters got a penny from that. Also, anyone who had to travel for their match had to pay for their own airline tickets and hotels where in the past I believe that stuff was taken care of. Seemed like the whole thing wasnt worth it to him and I dont blame him for feeling that way. Whatever he's going through I wish him the best.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 733
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2024, 06:50:09 AM »
Seeing some responses full of hate is disgusting.. how can you attack a skate because you don't like his style..

That skate you attack because you don’t like his style? It can do a hamstand

Ed: I do hope guy is okay. Mental health ain’t no joke and he genuinely doesn’t deserve the hate lobbed his way. He’s not my favorite skater (very few are) but I will say I genuinely felt gross after watching GH review his part. It just felt like bullying.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -93
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2024, 06:57:03 AM »
I skated with Jamie a few days after his BATB win and the day before he left to go home. He definitely seemed a bit off for someone who just won a contest, although it be BATB its still a pretty notable achievement. Times I've skated with him in the past he seemed like a pretty cheerful, happy go lucky dude who just loves skating. This most recent time he didn't seem to show many emotions. I was asking him some things that I had wondered about this years BATB and none of them were good. For example, those boards being sold with the finalists faces on them, none of those skaters got a penny from that. Also, anyone who had to travel for their match had to pay for their own airline tickets and hotels where in the past I believe that stuff was taken care of. Seemed like the whole thing wasnt worth it to him and I dont blame him for feeling that way. Whatever he's going through I wish him the best.

Shocked nobody called them out on that shit. Are dudes in the industry really that afraid of Borra/Scientology ruining their rep like that? That's your fuckin name on a board. Makes sense that last year PROD made up that Covid excuse to not have to fly out from CPH

Don

• Rep: -31
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2024, 07:23:14 AM »
My guy just wants to be on Limosine but he cant..

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -227
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2024, 07:41:14 AM »
how about everybody here goes to fuck themselves?

seeing this dudes skateboarding real life is mind altering. noone here can even comprehend, and dont give me the style is whack bullshit. noone cares. you dance however you like.

you CAN dance however you like... doesn't mean people want to watch it

Kaezan

• Rep: -4
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2024, 08:03:57 AM »
Hope everything is alright with him.

Honestly, he should retire from BATB and focus on making parts. He's a really talented skater, and I feel like the BATB bullshit gets him a lot of hate.

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 46
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2024, 08:28:28 AM »
Maybe he's just looking for a chill girl.

Anyway I hope he's doing well, i love flatground skating so he's pretty up there in my book. Alas, the irish are no stranger to the grip of melancholy. That perpetual wetness leaves a stained soul.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2024, 08:46:34 AM »
what I'd really like to know is what is his technique with 360 flips? they flip almost completely vertically. like the impossible flip but without the impossible...

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2024, 08:52:19 AM »

Thank you for this answer which clarifies a lot of things ! Would he have felt the fact of having done all this without really any help and support then ? Sometimes it can happen when you get too deep into the industry that you become jaded and disgusted. You lose your enjoyment of it. I think it's a combination of everything morally that he had to endure. Maybe a little “too full” of everything..

Expand Quote
Seeing some responses full of hate is disgusting.. how can you attack a skate because you don't like his style..
[close]

That skate you attack because you don’t like his style? It can do a hamstand

Ed: I do hope guy is okay. Mental health ain’t no joke and he genuinely doesn’t deserve the hate lobbed his way. He’s not my favorite skater (very few are) but I will say I genuinely felt gross after watching GH review his part. It just felt like bullying.

His part is just incredible.. Criticize him because the tricks are technical and go in all directions.. It reminds me of my beginnings, I was a fan of Rodney Mullen and the local skaters hated him and made fun of me because I loved it.. No matter the style, every pro skater is talented because god knows how hard skating is.. I can just as enjoy watching Jamie Griffin and other guys with weird tricks, and watching the baker guys skating.. Besides my favorite skaters remain the whole Baker / Deathwish team, and as I said, I love Jamie Griffin because this guy impresses me with his talent and his total control.. He's a bit of a Rodney Mullen of our generation !

what I'd really like to know is what is his technique with 360 flips? they flip almost completely vertically. like the impossible flip but without the impossible...

I find them so unique.. I love their 360 flips !
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 09:00:10 AM by FrenchSkater »

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -489
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2024, 09:08:47 AM »
Haters hate cause they’re weak ass bitches. They just haven’t realized that yet. Always been that way. Griffin is more genuine than 10 artificial socal skaters who try to repeat what’s already been done. And GH is one of them. GH stick was fun for like 3 vids. Now he’s just a miserable dude who becomes what he hates. A lame narcissistic influencer.

That said, I guess something has not been ok with griffin before he got famous. To get that consistent with these tricks you have to go harder than a normal person would. Same way Goggins has demons to go that far and never stop. It’s not healthy human behaviour. It’s something sinister that drives these kind of people. And when they get it all, they fall into an empty abyss cause they realise that it’s never enough.

Anyway, hope he’s ok or getting better if it’s true that he’s not ok right now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 09:24:49 AM by Sick_McCrank_ »
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2024, 09:16:13 AM »
He cut onion?
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2024, 09:26:20 AM »
I think i posted this elsewhere before but from speaking to people who know him, the London party lifestyle was just starting to fuel a bit of a mental health spiral, and he decided to head back to Ireland to chill and get his head right, which is fair enough.

The mixed attention off the back of BATB must have been a lot to deal with, and he's clearly someone who took certain comments about his skating to heart, as seen through the titles of his edits, the conscious effort to include different skating in them to appease critics. Must be a headfuck trying to make it and having to choose a direction to go in based on what everyone wants you to do, rather than what you necessarily enjoy.

As far as I know, the parting of ways with Hop King was amicable, i guess at the time it was quite a bit of pressure on top of all the BATB shite. He's getting product flowed/sponsored by an EU shop called Skatepro, so at least he's sorted for bloards.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -519
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2024, 10:10:38 AM »

Wonder why some people participated in the deck thing if some did not, assuming you didn’t get paid either way.

Anytime money is involved with the berrics, you assume it’s bad, yet it’s always worse than you imagined.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 125
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2024, 11:05:20 AM »
As far as I know, the parting of ways with Hop King was amicable, i guess at the time it was quite a bit of pressure on top of all the BATB shite. He's getting product flowed/sponsored by an EU shop called Skatepro, so at least he's sorted for bloards.

I really hope he's still sponsored by Fritz. The have a melon lemonade which is so good. Sadly they don't produce the cola caramel coffee drink anymore.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2024, 11:15:39 AM »
 He gost banchy

MrDuckey

• Rep: -80
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2024, 11:57:21 AM »
I could see him on April, shame they can't see it too.
Judging by Shane O'Neill's games against Mike Mo and Cody Cepeda, he has a deep hatred of flatground tryhards

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2024, 12:10:18 PM »
I think i posted this elsewhere before but from speaking to people who know him, the London party lifestyle was just starting to fuel a bit of a mental health spiral, and he decided to head back to Ireland to chill and get his head right, which is fair enough.

The mixed attention off the back of BATB must have been a lot to deal with, and he's clearly someone who took certain comments about his skating to heart, as seen through the titles of his edits, the conscious effort to include different skating in them to appease critics. Must be a headfuck trying to make it and having to choose a direction to go in based on what everyone wants you to do, rather than what you necessarily enjoy.

Damn so he was hittin that pink meow meow!? Griffin gets down!

Crust

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2024, 02:45:12 PM »

Ah sucks to hear he appeared dejected after such an amazing performance.

Disgraceful shit by the Berrics selling boards with people's names and faces on them and not giving any percentage!

Glad to hear it likely went amicable with Hop King, perhaps the door is open if Jamie would like to go back.

Great point about the title of his edits. Sucks to hear the criticisms may have weighed on him, he's only human, no one's skating is perfect.

I wish him all the best, hope to see him back soon.

On the off-chance he happens to read this, so many people in Ireland were hyped to see you blow-up, and win the Berrics twice. No of us would have imagined someone coming from a rural town, of an already rural County, in Ireland, could have foreseen it. Keep doing you Jamie, and don't let the critics get to you. Legend!

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 598
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2024, 02:49:49 PM »
He cut onion?

He fanny broke.

He’s probably in the garage feverishly working on Craic Skateboards.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2024, 03:13:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Disgraceful shit by the Berrics selling boards with people's names and faces on them and not giving any percentage!

Expand Quote

[close]

Glad to hear it likely went amicable with Hop King, perhaps the door is open if Jamie would like to go back.

Great point about the title of his edits. Sucks to hear the criticisms may have weighed on him, he's only human, no one's skating is perfect.

On the off-chance he happens to read this, so many people in Ireland were hyped to see you blow-up, and win the Berrics twice. No of us would have imagined someone coming from a rural town, of an already rural County, in Ireland, could have foreseen it. Keep doing you Jamie, and don't let the critics get to you. Legend!

What county is he from ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Crust

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2024, 03:18:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What county is he from ?

Donegal

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2024, 08:31:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

He would've had to have been really searching to find such negative comments in the sea of praises he gets on Instagram/YouTube.

On the other hand, if he was banking on gaining some more serious sponsors in London/LA and got told something along of the lines of his style of skating wouldn't cut it, especially if by someone he looks up to, then I could see it wounding him pretty deep.

Perhaps he really did just party too hard, in any case I'm sure he'll have a story to tell for his absence.
[close]

I hope everything works out for him, seeing a guy so in love with skateboarding and above all talented like that sink.. It's scary. Once again I don't understand the relentlessness on his style.. on the contrary, for a skater who is technical, like him, he really has a fluid and clean style I think.. and above all, the regularity in his technical tricks is amazing.

But also, I don't know you noticed, but surprising that he didn't say a single word and no publication on his victory at batb, Maybe something happened that we don't know…

I should have worded that better, but I was more alluding to his trick selection rather than his style pulling them off. It is difficult to make a lot of those complicated flip tricks look good on film let alone photogenic regardless of who you are, even when top tier pros occasionally throw out some complicated flip trick they will sometimes get shit for it depending on what it was (or even who did it), for example Shane's sw double tre at the Santa Monica triple set gets a bit of criticism here.
Those complicated flip tricks however are essentially what sets Griffin apart from other skaters, he certainly isn't pushing the envelope in any other area of skating although he definitely has some potential with his ledge game that being said.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2024, 10:56:48 PM »
Hope he’s doing alright. Shame on the borracs for doing him dirty but I can’t say I’m surprised.

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -126
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2024, 12:28:20 AM »
Hey there I live in Ireland and he’s doing great. He was on the Late Late Show with Patrick Kielty after he won and he did a lot of radio in the weeks after. He’s been doing the pub and club circuit doing live appearances and meet and greets at schools and Sunday markets.

There’s a Jamie Griffin film coming out next year which also features Conhuir Lynn and Dave Murphy from Cork.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2024, 12:30:07 AM »
Happy to read he's fine
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.