Author Topic: Clashing Brands (Do You Believe In?)  (Read 6959 times)

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
Clashing Brands (Do You Believe In?)
« on: November 18, 2021, 06:28:25 AM »
Do you have feelings about the mixing of certain brands?

I'm not talking about a brand that is inherently abominable to you no matter what it was on.

I'm asking if there is such a thing as two legit brands that you can't mix, like  "you can't have ______ trucks on _______ boards," etc.

Is that a thing to you?

Was that a thing when you were alive?

(not asking about grip tape)

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1213
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Clashing Brands (Do You Believe In?)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 06:43:41 AM »
Adidas track pants and Nike/Vans shoes is a stupid look that I see a lot.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

somefucker

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 06:52:12 AM »
Tensors or Ventures on p much anything.

Bones wheels need to go just in general.

Clashing brands in general are a personal nah. (i.e. Emerica shirt while wearing Converse, Ricta beanie with Spitfire wheels etc.)

Only thing I could get down with (maybe) is stuff from the same distribution.

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 06:54:59 AM »

this is about the only one I can think of, but when theyre rocking adidas pants and jacket or hat but not adidas shoes, I kinda like it. it's a middle finger type of outfit

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 06:55:37 AM »

Nike x Adidas in general is disgusting and deserves to be clowned tbh. We used to call that "Cross Contamination".

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 07:23:31 AM »
I take it to an extreme point…I could never skate an NHS deck with Ventures or any DLX deck without Spitfires.

Clashing shoe company logos are a no-no as well, even if you’re Cristiano Ronaldo playing in Nike boots with and Adidas logo on your Man U jersey (the big Chevy logo is terrible too).
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 07:32:00 AM »
Weirdly always had a shitty experience when riding a dlx board with thunders even tho you'd think they'd always go together well.

To me its less about brands but more the actual items not going together. Probably an age thing but jeans and runners/tech shoes don't go together for me.

Frontside Slappy

• Rep: 92
  • Somewhere in a parking garage
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 07:35:31 AM »
Clashing brands with clothes and shoes is a definite no-no for myself, but as far as clashing brands on a board I can't be bothered to take it that deep.
"That was a clean one." -Werner Herzog

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 07:40:06 AM »
I take it to an extreme point…I could never skate an NHS deck with Ventures or any DLX deck without Spitfires.

Clashing shoe company logos are a no-no as well, even if you’re Cristiano Ronaldo playing in Nike boots with and Adidas logo on your Man U jersey (the big Chevy logo is terrible too).

See, this is what I'm asking about. 

Are there distribution lines?

And for that matter were / are there lines drawn based on coasts? 

user18081971

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 07:44:53 AM »
You are all brainwashed

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 07:54:33 AM »

I was actually going to basically say the same thing here.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1256
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 08:08:06 AM »
Tensors or Ventures on p much anything.

Bones wheels need to go just in general.

Clashing brands in general are a personal nah. (i.e. Emerica shirt while wearing Converse, Ricta beanie with Spitfire wheels etc.)

Only thing I could get down with (maybe) is stuff from the same distribution.
imagine wearing a ricta beanie

vktrvghn

• Rep: 34
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 08:29:32 AM »
i feel the hate for mixing nike and addias, it just looks off, but i've never really got people who're bother by mixing dickies and carhatt, unless you're sponsored i don't see why'd you'd give a fuck.

x trucks on x board or anything like that doesn't bother me, i just get whatever my local shop has in that fits what i want. stickers on the other hand i'm really anal about, i never put footwear stickers on my deck incase i change shoes while skating the deck.

biaherl

• Rep: 268
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 08:37:47 AM »
For a lot of us who are lucky enough to have amazing friends that we support sometimes you get caught mixing brands

somefucker

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2021, 08:39:48 AM »

imagine buying wheels from NHS and you don't pick OJ or SB

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2021, 09:05:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@PatrickSkateman bring up and interesting one because that is literally the one thing in regards to hardgoods...like you cannot picture someone on a Creature with Ventures unless its like a little kid confused first setup.

That being said, you know that when Seek ended and Flo and Alex got on Santa Cruz, they were skating Venture Lows. I know Venture was at Streetcorner then, but still...

Also regarding NHS deck riders on non-NHS trucks.: I have had a suspicion that Santa Cruz stopped promoting Tom Remillard because he was on Ace. I realized there are MANY other factors at play, but to me it seems like he broke an unspoken taboo and got shelved for it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 09:29:32 AM by Macho Taildrop »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2021, 09:18:22 AM »
depends on how much said brands are paying me
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2021, 09:34:09 AM »
yoshi riding for stereo and fallen is a sign of the apocalypse

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1378
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2021, 09:35:39 AM »
Clashing brands with clothes and shoes is a definite no-no for myself, but as far as clashing brands on a board I can't be bothered to take it that deep.

Yeah, exactly haha. Not once have I chastised myself for mixing distributions on a setup. Like, "What the hell is wrong with me, mixing NHS with DLX!?"

I'll rock a 151 board with Gullwing trucks and Dial Tone wheels, I don't give a fuck as long as it skates well haha.

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 91
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2021, 09:39:22 AM »
i feel the hate for mixing nike and addias, it just looks off, but i've never really got people who're bother by mixing dickies and carhatt, unless you're sponsored i don't see why'd you'd give a fuck.

I mix Dickies & Carhartt all the time, haha, pretty hard not to mix anything with Dickies as they take up 50% of my wardrobe. Always been a big Dickies guy, even when I didn't skate.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2230
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2021, 09:40:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

imagine buying wheels from NHS and you don't pick OJ or SB
One big no-no combo for me personally is pairing Ricta wheels with anything at all.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2021, 09:46:59 AM »
What about Huf and Dickies?

I like both. Huf makes the nicer hoodies but Dickes makes the nicer pants.
IG: @flowterspace

somefucker

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2021, 09:52:03 AM »
One big no-no combo for me personally is pairing Ricta wheels with anything at all.

they have a lot of heavy hitters on their team that could easily ride for an objectively better wheel company.

i do miss the pj ladd ricta days.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2021, 09:53:08 AM »
For a lot of us who are lucky enough to have amazing friends that we support sometimes you get caught mixing brands

I know.  I ripped my drawers at the park the other day  and my friend ran to his car and hooked it up with to his car and hooked it with some slighty used POLO tightr whities. The homie.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 782
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2021, 09:53:40 AM »
i have this thing where if i ever wear a printed t-shirt it's a board company (don't care if it matches my deck)/shop shirt, i could do spitfire or ace (though i don't like their clothes) because that's the stuff i skate. even pros used to wear different board companies shirts while being pro for one of them. it's weird because i really want a venture awake tee but i can't get myself to buy one because i skate ace trucks lol. i would also never wear a shoe company t-shirt or anything with a logo or a spellout print of any clothing company (lil tags like carhartt, dickies or levis are ok but never a print). if you have board company wheels at least make it the same company as your deck but i don't see people skating those too often. minilogo is an exception because i don't treat it as a real "board brand", i look at it as a "affordable skateboard hardware that isn't complete shit" brand
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 805
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2021, 09:55:27 AM »
I noticed a few weeks ago I was wearing vans socks and dunks (calf high and shorts), I was in work and a bit hungover. I went straight home after work haha.

I can't put other deck brand stickers on a different brand deck. Like a real sticker on a polar deck. I always do a grip-less strip on the topside and stickers under the gap

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2021, 09:57:55 AM »
its kinda shilly to care too much about brands and branding idk

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2021, 10:01:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

@PatrickSkateman bring up and interesting one because that is literally the one thing in regards to hardgoods...like you cannot picture someone on a Creature with Ventures unless its like a little kid confused first setup.

That being said, you know that when Seek ended and Flo and Alex got on Santa Cruz, they were skating Venture Lows. I know Venture was at Streetcorner then, but still...

Also regarding NHS deck riders on non-NHS trucks.: I have had a suspicion that Santa Cruz stopped promoting Tom Remillard because he was on Ace. I realized there are MANY other factors at play, but to me it seems like he broke an unspoken taboo and got shelved for it.

Friend of mine used to ride zero boards with tensor lows(with the plastic bit) spitfire cores and speed demon bearings because that's what Chris Cole rode.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2021, 10:19:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Friend of mine used to ride zero boards with tensor lows(with the plastic bit) spitfire cores and speed demon bearings because that's what Chris Cole rode.

Hah, I know a guy that did that same setup. I vividly recall telling him that it looked "heinous"

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2021, 11:01:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hah, I know a guy that did that same setup. I vividly recall telling him that it looked "heinous"

Not sure how that relates to Ventures on a Creature or even is a clash of brands since one of Zero's flagship riders did it at their peak popularity. It is gross, though, so I will give you that.