Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 43121 times)

SHAQUEEFA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2250 on: April 25, 2024, 07:30:15 AM »
Imperium was better as a four man group, it just looked more imposing and Wolfe was a bigger guy so he looked better than the other two. I was actually kinda bummed when they came back without him.

Love Kaiser though, his cadence and delivery on promos is great.

Holy shit I guess it was only a matter of time before Tony started booking himself in angles. Dynamite was kinda wild.

I wasn't feeling the gauntlet match at first but man it was a cool concept. I just needed to wrap my head around what was actually happening.

I watched NXT for the first time in a long long time and holy shit how did I not know about Lola Vice. I actaully want to watch this underground match with natalya even though she pretty much sucks these days.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #2251 on: April 25, 2024, 11:02:42 AM »
Imperium was better as a four man group, it just looked more imposing and Wolfe was a bigger guy so he looked better than the other two. I was actually kinda bummed when they came back without him.

Love Kaiser though, his cadence and delivery on promos is great.

Holy shit I guess it was only a matter of time before Tony started booking himself in angles. Dynamite was kinda wild.

I wasn't feeling the gauntlet match at first but man it was a cool concept. I just needed to wrap my head around what was actually happening.

I watched NXT for the first time in a long long time and holy shit how did I not know about Lola Vice. I actaully want to watch this underground match with natalya even though she pretty much sucks these days.

I hear he’s keeping kayfabe for the NFL draft, so maybe he’s learning from the Montreal Screwjob and leaning into press about him to boost his wrestling show.   God knows in retrospect that VKM becoming “Mr MacMahon” was probably the most important creative decision in that company

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #2252 on: April 26, 2024, 06:02:38 AM »
Pretty silly Swerve wrestled against Fletcher. Why? It made zero sense. A ripper, yes; but after he just won? When Samoa won, we had a suited villain come out & talk about how he was calling the shots. Loved it. I guess it was more important to get Khan ready for a bad punch by Jungle Kiddo & a weird high dive front flip tombstone….. Which was practically a botch.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 09:35:59 AM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2253 on: April 26, 2024, 06:47:46 AM »
Pretty silly Swerve wrestled against Fletcher. Why? It made zero sense. A ripper, yes; but after he just won? When Samos won, we had a suited villain come out & talk about how he was calling the shots. Loved it. I guess it was more important to get Khan ready for a bad punch by Jungle Kiddo & a weird high dive front flip tombstone….. Which was practically a botch.

I can’t tell if you’re kidding or not.   The meltzer driver is their finisher.  They probably use it a little less these days as compared to the BTE trigger, but they still use it a lot

They’ve announced swerve is talking on the weekend shows.   I don’t see the problem with him facing an up and coming ripper.   AEW just likes to have good matches

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2254 on: April 26, 2024, 09:37:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Pretty silly Swerve wrestled against Fletcher. Why? It made zero sense. A ripper, yes; but after he just won? When Samos won, we had a suited villain come out & talk about how he was calling the shots. Loved it. I guess it was more important to get Khan ready for a bad punch by Jungle Kiddo & a weird high dive front flip tombstone….. Which was practically a botch.
[close]

I can’t tell if you’re kidding or not.   The meltzer driver is their finisher.  They probably use it a little less these days as compared to the BTE trigger, but they still use it a lot

They’ve announced swerve is talking on the weekend shows.   I don’t see the problem with him facing an up and coming ripper.   AEW just likes to have good matches

Got it. Didn’t know that but again, it looked sketchy & not well done. I’m saying Swerve should’ve came out & then we see a new challenger step up….

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2255 on: April 26, 2024, 10:13:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Got it. Didn’t know that but again, it looked sketchy & not well done. I’m saying Swerve should’ve came out & then we see a new challenger step up….

Pat McAfee was keeping kayfabe and naming the move when he saw Tony in the neckbrace on the draft which i was pleasantly surprised about

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2256 on: April 26, 2024, 02:05:58 PM »
WWE is the Harvey Weinstein of pro wrestling-Tony Khan.

Geez. And AEW is the Pepsi of wrestling? Is this a cry for CM Punk?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2257 on: April 26, 2024, 02:21:34 PM »
Apparently the reason they delayed the Swerve 1st promo for the weekend was because the NBA would give them more eyes as a lead in

Makes sense - do the angle for the draft bc it’s more timely, then save Swerve for the eyes, but I get the optics
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 05:14:08 PM by Atiba Applebum »

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #2258 on: April 26, 2024, 04:40:04 PM »
Love keeping kayfabe going at the draft.

Saw the new Darby figure on ringside has a board in it with his name in baker font. Interesting…

https://www.ringsidecollectibles.com/aew-wrestling-figures-darby-brody-king-aewrex-026.html
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2259 on: April 26, 2024, 05:12:57 PM »
Love keeping kayfabe going at the draft.

Saw the new Darby figure on ringside has a board in it with his name in baker font. Interesting…

https://www.ringsidecollectibles.com/aew-wrestling-figures-darby-brody-king-aewrex-026.html

Hah that’s rad.  He’s usually supporting the Deathwish side of things

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #2260 on: April 26, 2024, 06:40:37 PM »
It's always super interesting learning about past moments in wrestling. Here's a blurred line between kayfaybe and reality moment. A Canadian NCAA amateur wrestler, John Tenta, turned sumo competitor, then pro-wrestler was matched up against a former sumo athlete & hothead named Koji Kitao. Koji didn't want to sell and or cooperate as things got tense based on some kind of sumo pride/rivalry in Koji's head.

Apparently the Hulkster — ya know, the guy that was supposed to be in Metallica — claims Tenta covered for him that night, cause he knew Koji was gonna put him in some shit: https://youtu.be/AukVofRrSP8?t=1551

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2261 on: April 28, 2024, 07:41:00 AM »
It's always super interesting learning about past moments in wrestling. Here's a blurred line between kayfaybe and reality moment. A Canadian NCAA amateur wrestler, John Tenta, turned sumo competitor, then pro-wrestler was matched up against a former sumo athlete & hothead named Koji Kitao. Koji didn't want to sell and or cooperate as things got tense based on some kind of sumo pride/rivalry in Koji's head.

Apparently the Hulkster — ya know, the guy that was supposed to be in Metallica — claims Tenta covered for him that night, cause he knew Koji was gonna put him in some shit: https://youtu.be/AukVofRrSP8?t=1551

Tenta/Earthquake/Avalanche/the Shark was the sickest. Had he been a tad more agile i.e Bam Bam Bigelow, I think he would have been pushed more as he was main event status.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2262 on: April 29, 2024, 08:48:37 AM »
“AEW is like the Pepsi of pro wrestling; WWE is like the Harvey Weinstein of pro wrestling” is an incredible diss. I don’t know if he wrote that joke or someone wrote it for him but bravo.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2263 on: April 29, 2024, 11:16:49 AM »
“AEW is like the Pepsi of pro wrestling; WWE is like the Harvey Weinstein of pro wrestling” is an incredible diss. I don’t know if he wrote that joke or someone wrote it for him but bravo.

Yeah he killed it all draft.   

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2264 on: April 29, 2024, 05:38:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah he killed it all draft.

Hah, him calling on CM Punk was good. Meanwhile Jericho is the FTW champion & none of his allegations are apparently a concern. Yeah! Go Tony Khan!

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2265 on: April 29, 2024, 09:40:18 PM »
My man, I think you’re missing the joke. It’s probably because Tony Khan is not a great talker but that joke was great. The Pepsi reference has nothing to do with CM Punk. It’s a misdirect joke. It’s set up to sound like he’s about to say, “AEW is Pepsi and WWE is Coca-Cola,” talking about their competition of similar products. But instead of “Coca-Cola,” he says, “Harvey Weinstein,” which is, one, bold and unexpected on national god damn television, and two, not really wrong.

I too am weirded out by the Jericho accusations but sometimes you gotta sit back and appreciate a good diss. No need to pick sides as a wrestling fan when good (and bad) stuff is coming from every angle.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2266 on: April 30, 2024, 09:59:09 AM »
My man, I think you’re missing the joke. It’s probably because Tony Khan is not a great talker but that joke was great. The Pepsi reference has nothing to do with CM Punk. It’s a misdirect joke. It’s set up to sound like he’s about to say, “AEW is Pepsi and WWE is Coca-Cola,” talking about their competition of similar products. But instead of “Coca-Cola,” he says, “Harvey Weinstein,” which is, one, bold and unexpected on national god damn television, and two, not really wrong.

I too am weirded out by the Jericho accusations but sometimes you gotta sit back and appreciate a good diss. No need to pick sides as a wrestling fan when good (and bad) stuff is coming from every angle.

I certainly appreciate the gentleness in your explanation, but I completely understand. I just think it’s ironic because CM Punk is called Pepsi Phil. I understand what he’s doing. I’m just saying it really comes off as tasteless & desperate. And I’m just critiquing. I watch AEW every Wednesday. Rampage is very hard as it’s generally a waste of my time, but collision has proven to be pretty good.

Matter of fact, I just bought the new AEW/target Bryan Danielson figure. Love it.

I just think it’s a tad funny when people are defending some wrestling such as AEW where there’s a lack of storylines & the owner basically incorporate his actual mental breakdown into the storyline.

WPG

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2267 on: Today at 07:16:37 PM »
When Kenny sounded like he was retiring people around me were breaking down in tears, boyfriends consoling girlfriends, kids hugging their parents, felt like the end of an era
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks