9 (12.2%)
john rattray
18 (24.3%)
matt mumford
2 (2.7%)
jon allie
14 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: ZERO army forum  (Read 4762 times)

benboardbreaker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
Re: ZERO army forum
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2023, 11:50:05 AM »
One time I emailed Zero because they were using a photo of mine without permission on Instagram. It couldn't have been 10 minutes later that I got a phone call from Jamie himself, incensed that I had emailed them about this and was immediately on offensive, saying 'WHAT DO YOU WANT? WHAT DO YOU WANT?'

I was just a young 20-something wanting to talk to someone at Zero about asking for permission first, never mind asking for money, but before I could get there he told me that I should actually pay Zero for the exposure, because they had so many followers and I'll get a lot of followers because of the post.

He texted me 20 minutes after the call, saying he was an asshole and sorry, and that he'll Paypal me $150. My biggest regret in this entire happening was not screen shotting that text, because it was gold.

Hahaha what a great story. Thank you for posting this. I had a laugh, since you explained it so well that I could really picture it. JT is a hero in my book due to welcome to hell, even though he sounds like top management from hell if you are his employee.

231st Street

• Rep: -201
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2023, 04:07:47 PM »
Expand Quote
One time I emailed Zero because they were using a photo of mine without permission on Instagram. It couldn't have been 10 minutes later that I got a phone call from Jamie himself, incensed that I had emailed them about this and was immediately on offensive, saying 'WHAT DO YOU WANT? WHAT DO YOU WANT?'

I was just a young 20-something wanting to talk to someone at Zero about asking for permission first, never mind asking for money, but before I could get there he told me that I should actually pay Zero for the exposure, because they had so many followers and I'll get a lot of followers because of the post.

He texted me 20 minutes after the call, saying he was an asshole and sorry, and that he'll Paypal me $150. My biggest regret in this entire happening was not screen shotting that text, because it was gold.
[close]

Hahaha what a great story. Thank you for posting this. I had a laugh, since you explained it so well that I could really picture it. JT is a hero in my book due to welcome to hell, even though he sounds like top management from hell if you are his employee.

Lol did he send you 150?  That is honestly a stand up thing to reassess reaction and try to make amends with reasonable payment (not having any idea of context it made me laugh).  Obviously an absurd initial reaction if as described

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 112
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2023, 04:10:29 PM »
Has it ever been discussed why Sheldon Meleshinski's new blood part was pulled from the video, and he only had 1 trick in the intro ?

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 64
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2023, 01:48:57 AM »
Has it ever been discussed why Sheldon Meleshinski's new blood part was pulled from the video, and he only had 1 trick in the intro ?

I’ll do a little digging to see if I’m right, but I think the timeline was he only “got on” Zero properly around the time of New Blood’s release or it was shortly after it. Because wasn’t his Teenage Hypochondriac part on the New Blood special edition extras or the next promo video or something? Because it was definitely not on the regular DVD release.

What was his trick in the intro?

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 7
  • fresh
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2023, 05:51:05 AM »
i have new blood on dvd so i can check around when i get back home.
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2023, 07:11:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Wasn't it just the original version (that some people at the time called "zero or die" because it was a plain black case with that written on the front) didn't have the Sheldon part and then they re-released it with some bonus etc and the Sheldon part now in the edit

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 729
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2023, 08:22:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think he back 5-0’s a hubba in the intro

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Wasn't it just the original version (that some people at the time called "zero or die" because it was a plain black case with that written on the front) didn't have the Sheldon part and then they re-released it with some bonus etc and the Sheldon part now in the edit

It was always a stand alone edit in the bonus features of the deluxe edition or whatever
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 79
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2023, 08:36:07 AM »
not sure he ever fully got on but he was at least flow before he went to $lave so my vote is Pat Burke

Pooh Drunx

• Rep: -61
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2023, 10:23:34 AM »
Rattray is the answer. Hes like the rick mccrank of zero

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2252
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2023, 10:41:06 AM »
Back in 97 when I heard a Zero video was coming out (Thrill Of It All of course), this was before the internet as we know it and definitely before ordering things from company websites. I just called up Tum Yeto to ask when it was coming out. They told me in a couple weeks so I called a couple weeks later and they had just gotten it in. I asked if I could order it and they said yes so I placed an order for it on the phone right there and it shipped and arrived to me in Canada before any of the shops even got it.

That day I went to our summer skatepark that the city ran in a hockey arena and told everyone I got the Zero video before it hit the stores. Damn I was the most popular dude that day. Everyone wanted to come over and watch it after.

When Ellington slams on that kinked rails one of the dudes who came over to watch it said "How bad could that possibly hurt? It's fucking grass."

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2023, 10:41:48 AM »

My vote as well... the most all-terrain, long tenure, fit with the team but had his own original style

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2023, 12:20:47 PM »
Holy shit, that is the best description of Rattray I’ve ever heard.

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 244
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2023, 12:28:49 PM »

35:44 :)

Badavis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2023, 12:38:21 PM »
Wade Burkitt FTW!!!! Not gonna lie when I was little  I always thought Wade's clips were JT.

Wade get my vote, his part in thrill of it all is one of my favorite parts ever. Short and simple, hauling ass the whole time

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 112
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2023, 01:27:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ll do a little digging to see if I’m right, but I think the timeline was he only “got on” Zero properly around the time of New Blood’s release or it was shortly after it. Because wasn’t his Teenage Hypochondriac part on the New Blood special edition extras or the next promo video or something? Because it was definitely not on the regular DVD release.

What was his trick in the intro?

Yeah was a bs 5-0 on the hubba, he was also in the New Blood article in Transworld leading up to the release so always wondered why he had the trick in the intro but no part

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1332
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2023, 01:51:33 PM »
Damn, their team is pretty bloated. Need to get rid of Vinny and a couple of ams (not Brandon Burleigh).

It's crazy that Forrest Edwards never blew up. He got tons of attention from the industry after OIAM and everyone knew he skated better than most pros. He had his heart set on toy machine but they never put him on. He never got to put out a defining part and now he's past his prime I think. I'm still hoping to see a full part in an upcoming zero video. Dude should've been on primitive or plan b getting paid. Shout out to Jamie for being willing to work with him. James brockman is the shit too.

This part is so fucked up and just didn't hit. It came out in mid December 2020 so late SOTY season and I think by that time is was so clearly Mason's year that Forrest's part just got lost. I had forgotten it until the thread jogged my memory.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2023, 02:03:20 PM »
Thanks for posting that, that was sick. I don't remember seeing this when it came out.

IamCircus

• Rep: -2
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2023, 08:29:22 PM »
I grew up in San Diego and remember the first video I ever saw was “misled youth.” The year it came out we were running around the Adams Ave Street Fair and they had a ramp set up. I just remember the team throwing out stickers and that’s my first memory of skateboarding outside my banana yellow bash board I got from my cousin.

I have love for zero and always will. Matter of fact, I’ve bought more of their product in the last year than I had for a long time. Not much but I’ve grabbed some stuff.

I’ll always be a fan.

As for the kookiness of JT…he’s always been cool when I ran into him and over social media. I spoke with someone that interviewed him once and he said he was awesome. I just go with that.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1942
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2023, 11:26:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Damn, their team is pretty bloated. Need to get rid of Vinny and a couple of ams (not Brandon Burleigh).

It's crazy that Forrest Edwards never blew up. He got tons of attention from the industry after OIAM and everyone knew he skated better than most pros. He had his heart set on toy machine but they never put him on. He never got to put out a defining part and now he's past his prime I think. I'm still hoping to see a full part in an upcoming zero video. Dude should've been on primitive or plan b getting paid. Shout out to Jamie for being willing to work with him. James brockman is the shit too.
[close]

This part is so fucked up and just didn't hit. It came out in mid December 2020 so late SOTY season and I think by that time is was so clearly Mason's year that Forrest's part just got lost. I had forgotten it until the thread jogged my memory.

Holy shit that was good, Zero's filming and editing looks stale by modern standards, but I'll take that over the camera panning and zooming wildly.

What happened with Forrest Edwards on Slap / Zero in the late 2000s? Something about him getting kicked off or offending JT, one of those things.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

theextrabanana

• Rep: -134
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2023, 05:27:25 AM »
Forrest was sick. That sw tre was insane

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -300
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2023, 06:55:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Holy shit that was good, Zero's filming and editing looks stale by modern standards, but I'll take that over the camera panning and zooming wildly.

What happened with Forrest Edwards on Slap / Zero in the late 2000s? Something about him getting kicked off or offending JT, one of those things.
Forrest's Unhinged part will always be his "career" defining part IMO. Switch flip back lip a handrail, tre flip 5-0 clipper.

Wait yo turn