Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 133378 times)

dirtjers and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

IpathCats

Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #510 on: January 03, 2023, 12:12:01 PM »
I'm one of those sickos that skates 159s with kreper kingpin. I'm addicted to 2003 skate gimmicks

isnt the kreeper pin technically the lowest profile IKP option? like it gives you more clearance than any other?

I havent fucked with IKP much, but i thought this was the case after reading on here some

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #511 on: January 03, 2023, 01:35:35 PM »
I think the Kreper and OG Krux pink label are both equal in terms of max clearance, but the kreper is heavier and has way more threads (better).

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #512 on: January 03, 2023, 02:12:53 PM »
Me to skate shop: ‘yes….I need the number two grit sheet of mob….I’ll be back quarterly….PS… can I have a sticker’?

Wasn’t the sheet number debunked as it being relative to grit ratio?

Indy yellow are hard as fuck, on par with bones hards. I mixed yellow tops and orange bottoms, was a tough Break in period and the yellows never felt like they gave at all.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #513 on: January 03, 2023, 03:52:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Me to skate shop: ‘yes….I need the number two grit sheet of mob….I’ll be back quarterly….PS… can I have a sticker’?
[close]

Indy yellow are hard as fuck, on par with bones hards. I mixed yellow tops and orange bottoms, was a tough Break in period and the yellows never felt like they gave at all.

Re Mob grip tape number - yes I think someone said it was which line it came from, as in they have half a dozen lines of production, line 1, line 2, line 3, etc.

The fifty sheets in the last box I got from a distro all had different numbers but were all identical in grit.

Maybe once it was something else, but now it is not.

Normal Mob or that Ultra or whatever it is, just like Jessup, normal and then rip you to shreds rough.

As for the Indy 96 yellow bushings, when they are broken in, they are not that hard and felt more like a stiff older stock bushing (as per some I got from a guy who destroys bushings on the regular), but from new they are ridiculous (as you said) and not anything I find comfortable.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IpathCats

« Reply #514 on: January 04, 2023, 06:19:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Re Mob grip tape number - yes I think someone said it was which line it came from, as in they have half a dozen lines of production, line 1, line 2, line 3, etc.

The fifty sheets in the last box I got from a distro all had different numbers but were all identical in grit.

Normal Mob or that Ultra or whatever it is, just like Jessup, normal and then rip you to shreds rough.

As for the Indy 96 yellow bushings, when they are broken in, they are not that hard and felt more like a stiff older stock bushing (as per some I got from a guy who destroys bushings on the regular), but from new they are ridiculous (as you said) and not anything I find comfortable.

Old stocks were harder than they are now?

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #515 on: January 04, 2023, 07:35:33 AM »

They are referring to aftermarket bushings not the stock ones. The Indy gold bushings are 90a

IpathCats

« Reply #516 on: January 04, 2023, 08:15:58 AM »

They are referring to aftermarket bushings not the stock ones. The Indy gold bushings are 90a

Sounded like @Mbrimson88 was comparing the yellow ones you just pictured to "older stiff stock" bushings

LebowskisRug

« Reply #517 on: January 04, 2023, 08:21:57 AM »
Expand Quote
I think your average customer has done a bit of research and to have a shop employee who isn’t fully in tune with bushing hardness may not get a pass from me…..but probably a pass….

Indy’s/Swiss/Spits/DLX, set it up, let er rip is 90% correct….
[close]

Generally a safe bet

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Stock orange are really good now, but slightly harder than the aftermarket orange. I found my kingpin setting to be the same with stock orange and aftermarket blue, whereas aftermarket orange I had to crank another 1/2-1 turn.

Reds were always weird for me. They felt as hard as blacks and my trucks would stay turning. I was at a shop a few months back and asked about hard bushings for Aces and the employee, who has no knowledge of numbers or math, took the reds out and said they were probably the hardest thing the shop had.
[close]

That's sad. Skate shops and their employees need to be able to provide that kind of info and service if they want a snowballs chance in hell of surviving these days.
[close]

I don't think this is the case at all.
[close]

I mean unless you can provide a superior experience IDK how you can compete with the big guys. Because you certainly can't do it on price and hope to keep the doors open.

I'm not saying every shop employee should know the entire indy bushing duro/color chart.

But they should understand that higher duro means harder and lower means softer.

Should at least be able to vaguely describe how most components will affect your setup.

Again, not on the level of Paul Schmitt and his fucking protractor/caliper defined setups, but you should def be able to expect an employee to point you in the right direction and give you a basic description of the goods they are selling.

If you carry enough relevant brands and don't have lots of dead inventory it's not that hard. Lots of shops I've been to have employees that basically only know about what they ride and what's trendy and that's fine. They also had some brand limitations but moved everything they sold.

The particular shop I mentioned above also has a large screen printing operation. They sell an insane amount of their shop decks and screen for other shops. Mostly carry relevant brands other locals don't have and their inventory is pretty alright and covers all spectrums of riders. The stuff sells itself as long as it exists. The employees are nice, just not as big of nerds as we are.

And the kid was right in my experience the reds are pretty tough. The shop also has stock of Ace dual euro prototype bushings.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1391
« Reply #518 on: January 04, 2023, 09:08:58 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm one of those sickos that skates 159s with kreper kingpin. I'm addicted to 2003 skate gimmicks
[close]

isnt the kreeper pin technically the lowest profile IKP option? like it gives you more clearance than any other?

I havent fucked with IKP much, but i thought this was the case after reading on here some

Yeah it's very low profile. I personally love it as someone who does a lot of disasters and feebles

IpathCats

« Reply #519 on: January 04, 2023, 10:31:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah it's very low profile. I personally love it as someone who does a lot of disasters and feebles

I tried the krux ikp on some older aces a while back. After the jb weld around the nut broke the second time i just threw them out and was over it. Even as someone who fucks with their setup a lot it just frustrated me.

Might give the indy ikps a shot next time i need new trucks though. As long as they're still being made and dont end up having any huge issues.

lildonut92

• Rep: 12
« Reply #520 on: January 04, 2023, 10:32:00 AM »
As someone who is trying to get back into skating after years off of the board, I’m looking for some advice. What do you feel is the best all around truck? I used to either ride Indy hollows or venture lows. The ventures felt too low though.

I’m looking for something light but not feather light. I would mostly be skating curbs, small ledges and banks. Maybe some transition. I like a solid and snappy pop feel. Stability is crucial since I’ll be trying to relearn everything. Thanks in advance.

IpathCats

« Reply #521 on: January 04, 2023, 10:37:05 AM »
As someone who is trying to get back into skating after years off of the board, I’m looking for some advice. What do you feel is the best all around truck? I used to either ride Indy hollows or venture lows. The ventures felt too low though.

I’m looking for something light but not feather light. I would mostly be skating curbs, small ledges and banks. Maybe some transition. I like a solid and snappy pop feel. Stability is crucial since I’ll be trying to relearn everything. Thanks in advance.

Indy hollows or indy forged hollows.

The forged will be SLIGHTLY lower (53.5mm vs 55mm) and lighter than the standard hollows. but still no where near a venture low.

id get an 8.25 or 8.5 deck, whichever feels most comfortable and just get the the same width trucks. 144s for 8.25 and 149s for 8.5

some 54mm wheels

and you have a super standard "all around" setup

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #522 on: January 04, 2023, 10:55:52 AM »

I'd go 149 Indy Hollow Forged.  Forged are a little lower - and you can always run a small riser to get them back up to standards height.  The pop with the forged baseplate is a bit more snappy.  The hollow forged are a good middle-weight.  Lots of aftermarket bushing durometers to adjust the stability - don't be scared to mix durometers for top and bottom bushings.

Or, Thunder Team Hollows.  A little more snappy than Indy, a little lighter, a little lower.  Not as surfy and they don't grind curbs quite as well (less surface area front to back - there is just less metal there, which is why they are lighter), but still a completely solid truck.

Either truck on an 8.38-8.5 with a 14.25-14.38 wheelbase and 54mm wheels would be a solid all rounder. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 11:03:57 AM by backinaction »

IpathCats

« Reply #523 on: January 04, 2023, 11:04:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'd go 149 Indy Hollow Forged.  Forged are a little lower - and you can always run a small riser to get them back up to standards height.  The pop with the forged baseplate is a bit more snappy.  The hollow forged are a good middle-weight.  Lots of aftermarket bushing durometers to adjust the stability - don't be scared to mix durometers for top and bottom bushings.

Or, Thunder Team Hollows.  A little more snappy than Indy, a little lighter, a little lower.  Not as surfy and they don't grind curbs quite as well (less surface area front to back - there is just less metal there, which is why they are lighter), but still a completely solid truck.

Either truck on an 8.38-8.5 with a 14.25-14.38 wheelbase would be a solid all rounder.

Yea, was going to say that i personally prefer 149s on 8.25 - 8.5 but i know a lot of people just want the same width trucks/decks

lildonut92

« Reply #524 on: January 04, 2023, 11:11:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Either truck on an 8.38-8.5 with a 14.25-14.38 wheelbase would be a solid all rounder.
[close]

Yea, was going to say that i personally prefer 149s on 8.25 - 8.5 but i know a lot of people just want the same width trucks/decks

I’m a shrimp, so I wasn’t thinking about going any bigger than an 8. An 8.25 to me feels like what a 8.75 would feel to others haha. I appreciate the helpful info. I think going with faithful Indy’s might be the ticket.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #525 on: January 04, 2023, 11:16:28 AM »
I’m a shrimp, so I wasn’t thinking about going any bigger than an 8. An 8.25 to me feels like what a 8.75 would feel to others haha. I appreciate the helpful info. I think going with faithful Indy’s might be the ticket.

Then I would do the forged baseplate.  Others may disagree, but I find that the 55mm tall standards are good on 149s and up and can go either way on 144s - but 139s feel too tall for me with the cast.    And I'd scale the wheels down to a 52/53 on an 8. 

lildonut92

« Reply #526 on: January 04, 2023, 11:19:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Then I would do the forged baseplate.  Others may disagree, but I find that the 55mm tall standards are good on 149s and up and can go either way on 144s - but 139s feel too tall for me with the cast.    And I'd scale the wheels down to a 52/53 on an 8.

8inch x 14.25 wheelbase, forged hollow 139's. 53 inch conicals. I think that's gonna suit me the best.

IpathCats

« Reply #527 on: January 04, 2023, 11:52:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Shoe size? Height?

lildonut92

« Reply #528 on: January 04, 2023, 12:14:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Shoe size? Height?

5'5 on a good day. Shoes: 7

IpathCats

« Reply #529 on: January 04, 2023, 12:25:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Shoe size? Height?
[close]

5'5 on a good day. Shoes: 7

Ah ok that makes sense. I'd still recommend the 144's even on an 8. 139's are so narrow and squirrely.

They make 8.18 width decks as well if you wanted to venture over 8 inch, but i def wouldnt go ANY smaller than 8.

lildonut92

« Reply #530 on: January 04, 2023, 02:11:15 PM »
Yeah, a part of me wants to flip my board and the other part of me wants to embrace aging and do slappys. 8 seems like a happy medium, haha.

I do remember 139's feeling squirrely as all hell several years ago. Boards with longer wheelbases helped it feel more stable though.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #531 on: January 04, 2023, 02:34:57 PM »
Yeah, a part of me wants to flip my board and the other part of me wants to embrace aging and do slappys. 8 seems like a happy medium, haha.

I do remember 139's feeling squirrely as all hell several years ago. Boards with longer wheelbases helped it feel more stable though.

Don't let equipment madness stop you from aging gracefully, doing slappies AND flip tricks. It is very fucking possible You got this.

lildonut92

« Reply #532 on: January 04, 2023, 02:41:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Don't let equipment madness stop you from aging gracefully, doing slappies AND flip tricks. It is very fucking possible You got this.

Very well said

LebowskisRug

« Reply #533 on: January 04, 2023, 04:26:28 PM »

Most 8's have the same WB as a lot of 8.25s with only slightly smaller kicks so you may not notice the difference too much. As an old dude that got back into skating I started on an 8 and have gone as large as 8.5 at times. I think you'll find that 8-8.25 start to really feel very similar in terms of width and you will like the extra room and stability of 144s. I have ridden standard and forged 139s and didn't really notice a difference going to 144. You could also just stack 3 washers on the inside of 139s and have an 8.125 wheel width truck.

My first setup back was an 8.5 Polar on 149s and I fucking hated it. I went to the shop and grabbed a Polar 8 w/ 14.25 and some forged hollow 149's with 52 Classics and rode that and it was night/day. I actually rode 8-8.125 mostly until the pandemic and now I can't go back to something that small, but it will give you a good foundation to pursue the kind of skating that gets you stoked in your older age.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #534 on: January 04, 2023, 04:50:14 PM »
boards nowadays commonly have longer wheel bases than probably what you skated back then, so sticking with 8" trucks would still work well.  I just sent up 144 mindy's on an 8.25 and I'm sure i'll skate it ok but it feels like a beast. 

144 raws on an 8.25 board will feel like a vert set up for you IMO.  I'd go 148 Thunders or on an 8.125 or 139's on an 8.125.  Ease into it......

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #535 on: January 04, 2023, 06:02:39 PM »
I'd second (3rd?) the 8.18/8.125 deck with 144/148 trucks. Not too small, not too big.

I just bumped to an 8.7 up from 8.5 (14.25"WB) with indy...not sure what's going on but everything feels too small and tight with a 14.25" WB with indys; 8.7 has a 14.5", big for me...not sure what to throw on it truckwise....(8.5" over trucks). Either Indy or Royal or Tensor ATGs...pretty sure I'd feel like manning a boat if I threw thunders on it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 06:12:42 PM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #536 on: January 04, 2023, 06:03:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Old stocks were harder than they are now?

Those new aftermarket yellow 96s seemed like they were still way harder than any Indy stock bushings (orange / gold or whatever colour comes in pro edition trucks - white, black, red, blue, green, etc), but not by much when compared to some of the various stock Indy bushings from earlier stages, or at least that is what I was trying to convey.

The direct comparison with old Indy stock bushings is often more difficult as they have been sitting in trucks for ten or twenty years too, when compared to the fairly new sets that have not cured over time like the old ones have, but I feel like other people may or may not have their own experiences to fall back on.

Either way Indy stock bushings would fall apart and crumble more than just crush down or bounce back, but the new ones are also a different formula now as well.  Even between the Stage 11 bushings, the new more translucent ones with the concentric circles on them are way more like true 90 duro and feel very similar to current stock Thunder and Venture bushings when you use a crush test (big pair of grips or pliers) but the older Stage 11 ones, that were a more bright solid orange colour, were firmer than the current bushings but still a lot softer than the previous stage bushings too, someone saying that the old Indy bushings used to be about 94 duro when measured with one of those true durometer machines (aka The Professor or someone I think).

The old ones were very stiff right from go, often felt way too hard and if you ever took a brand new truck apart, you could almost never get it back together without a lot of effort or putting in used bushings or leaving out a washer.  Had so many struggles with them, which is also the main reason so many people swapped them out right away and most people said they loved the trucks but hated the bushings in them, at least for the Stage 9 trucks that we had in the shop from 2003 or so.

Whatever the experience with them, some people still loved them and quite a few of the old sets I have with nicely broken in bushings still work well enough, but from new they were somewhat unbearable and took a while to wear in nicely.

Also the old aftermarket bushings from the Stage 9 era (2000s) used to come in red / soft 92, orange / medium 94 and black / hard 96 and all of those were a totally different urethane compound than stock bushings, also being way stiffer than anything else, which is why I used to get the red ones and cut them down, but then when they brought out the low heads, I found they worked great in the normal trucks, at least way better than the normal height bushings did, for how they could turn more easily but were still a bit stiffer than some other really soft bushings on the market at the time.

The current options for trucks, bushings and versatility are still better than anything we had in the past, but even the super hard bushings now don't seem half as hard as the older ones from the 2000s.

I don't doubt others may have had different experiences, so it is interesting to hear if anyone else recalls things differently to my own memories or views.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #537 on: January 04, 2023, 06:17:22 PM »
Any stock bushing, regardless of color, is 90a,

Aftermarket super hard yellows are very different.

WTF are indy gold bushings?

manysnakes

« Reply #538 on: January 04, 2023, 06:22:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Just get an ~8” and standard Indys 139 or 144 and you’ll be fine. They’re a great truck and I think they’ll feel familiar to anyone who has seriously skated before.

As others have said, I’d advise you not to spend too much time overthinking it. Pick something familiar and solid and practice with that as much as you can.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #539 on: January 04, 2023, 06:49:34 PM »
Any stock bushing, regardless of color, is 90a,

Aftermarket super hard yellows are very different.

WTF are indy gold bushings?

I think, more than anything people are just meaning / saying the stock ones, given on this last page some people say yellow, some say gold, but they mean the same thing.

Yes, the current stock bushings, regardless of colour are all 90 duro.

Stock bushings have become way softer over the years, eg Venture used to have 98 purple / red stock bushings too, whereas now they are 90, but that is another story / for another thread.