Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 133396 times)

Jogging José and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #600 on: January 09, 2023, 12:22:56 PM »
I think 139 is a good size….Indy’s are inherently beefy and on an 8” or 8.125 is still a nimble set up but stable enough to land on.  More truck helps grinding, but that’s about it. 

IpathCats

« Reply #601 on: January 09, 2023, 12:33:19 PM »
I think 139 is a good size….Indy’s are inherently beefy and on an 8” or 8.125 is still a nimble set up but stable enough to land on.  More truck helps grinding, but that’s about it.

Wider trucks are more stable as well, wider/slower turn. Some would argue this is a con, but i feel much more confident on 149s than even 144s.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #602 on: January 09, 2023, 01:15:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Here's my take on indy IKP plates and new "stage 4" 215s.
I've replaced stock baseplate with new IKP and set up "short" top bushing (old aftermarket indy mid bushing).
Kingpin clearence now is HUGE.

PS
Have some troubles before with stock baseplate on a curbs - stucking on kingpin and always have a nut loosening.
Picture with before/after.

[close]

nice picture diagram man!

have a gnar

People used to have to grind their KP after swapping to shorter top bushings for more clearance, the IKP baseplate saves you that step.

We're evolving.
[close]

Amazing results. Question: Is the IKP baseplate the same as an Inverted Mid baseplate/same KP clearance? Do either affect overall truck/axel height?
[close]

I believe all Indy baseplates are compatible whether they’re IKP or traditional. The Mid hanger works fine on traditional kingpin baseplates (Standard Hollow for me) and vice versa, including the 215/Stage IV design.
[close]

Pretty sure this is correct.
[close]

What I meant to ask was: Are the IKP and Inverted Mid baseplates one-in-the-same? Will I achieve the same result using either? Do they share the same KP clearance(since they share a similarly low-profile inverted kingpin)?
[close]

They are the same. The mid height comes from the hanger, not the IKP baseplate set.

I like the IKP baseplate set but personally I couldn't get my truck tightness to stay the same, after a bit of time my trucks would always feel looser than what I set them to. I used stock Indy 90a, aftermarket Indy 92a, and Bones Mediums which all resulted in this effect.

Did you have the IKP in to full lock, or somewhere in between?

I found that when it was full lock it stayed put, but when not all the way in, it moved.

The only down side is the trucks are at a set bushing point, which is fine if you skate them like that, but if you needed them tighter, there is no where to go, or looser, then they would move somewhat as you said.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 777
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #603 on: January 09, 2023, 01:55:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Here's my take on indy IKP plates and new "stage 4" 215s.
I've replaced stock baseplate with new IKP and set up "short" top bushing (old aftermarket indy mid bushing).
Kingpin clearence now is HUGE.

PS
Have some troubles before with stock baseplate on a curbs - stucking on kingpin and always have a nut loosening.
Picture with before/after.

[close]

nice picture diagram man!

have a gnar

People used to have to grind their KP after swapping to shorter top bushings for more clearance, the IKP baseplate saves you that step.

We're evolving.
[close]

Amazing results. Question: Is the IKP baseplate the same as an Inverted Mid baseplate/same KP clearance? Do either affect overall truck/axel height?
[close]

I believe all Indy baseplates are compatible whether they’re IKP or traditional. The Mid hanger works fine on traditional kingpin baseplates (Standard Hollow for me) and vice versa, including the 215/Stage IV design.
[close]

Pretty sure this is correct.
[close]

What I meant to ask was: Are the IKP and Inverted Mid baseplates one-in-the-same? Will I achieve the same result using either? Do they share the same KP clearance(since they share a similarly low-profile inverted kingpin)?
[close]

They are the same. The mid height comes from the hanger, not the IKP baseplate set.

I like the IKP baseplate set but personally I couldn't get my truck tightness to stay the same, after a bit of time my trucks would always feel looser than what I set them to. I used stock Indy 90a, aftermarket Indy 92a, and Bones Mediums which all resulted in this effect.
[close]

Did you have the IKP in to full lock, or somewhere in between?

I found that when it was full lock it stayed put, but when not all the way in, it moved.

The only down side is the trucks are at a set bushing point, which is fine if you skate them like that, but if you needed them tighter, there is no where to go, or looser, then they would move somewhat as you said.

I think somewhere in between on the tighter side. Haven't used them in a while so I don't quite remember.

IpathCats

« Reply #604 on: January 09, 2023, 02:26:43 PM »
Damn, I thought Indy solved that ikp issue.

I'm not sure I'll ever try them if they can't figure out how to prevent that.

I'm way too particular about my truck tightness. I'm the type of dude to go back and forth between slight adjustments in the range of half a turn or less.

manysnakes

« Reply #605 on: January 09, 2023, 02:26:52 PM »

Reynolds still skates 139s.

IpathCats

« Reply #606 on: January 09, 2023, 02:34:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Does he really? Even after the 144s came out.

Him and Ishod both on the magic carpet.

Ellington too

LebowskisRug

« Reply #607 on: January 09, 2023, 02:46:54 PM »
Yup, he's said it multiple times too- just can't do wide trucks. In my very non-rigorous recollection of setup videos and shit, far more pros magic carpet than Hot Rod and even some hot rodders like Foy are coming back to being even with deck width.

I have noticed in his IG stories Reynolds is off the mids too

manysnakes

« Reply #608 on: January 09, 2023, 03:15:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Does he really? Even after the 144s came out.

Him and Ishod both on the magic carpet.

Ellington too

I think he's on an 8", right? So fits perfectly.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #609 on: January 09, 2023, 03:53:20 PM »
Reynolds rides the 8.25 and 8.475 mostly and sometimes goes down to 8.125. I found some post of him filming a manual on something insanely tall and in the comments someone asked him and he says he goes smaller for popping up or over huge things because "it's less to get up".

As for the Indy IKP self-loosening, my replacement plates from Indy still had that problem which is why I gave up on them. Maybe it's better now. I really wanted to like the mids

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #610 on: January 09, 2023, 04:57:34 PM »
In the comments of one of his more recent IG posts Reynolds said he keeps switching between 139 and 144 now.

**edit
His post on December 14
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 05:06:06 PM by brownjenkin »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #611 on: January 09, 2023, 09:09:28 PM »
Oh damn, interesting. It's been many months since I have invested much time in pro setup madness but good to see he might be losing his somewhat compared to what it was.

IpathCats

« Reply #612 on: January 10, 2023, 04:52:27 AM »
Are IKPs just an unsolvable mystery of the universe or something?

elegant_fox

« Reply #613 on: January 10, 2023, 04:56:11 AM »
I have found that for mitigating the 139s tipiness, swapping the indy bushings for bones mediums helps them not be as stiff since they have more give but retain a decent return to center feel. Still not as planted feeling as larger trucks, but at least they carve and turn more naturally with that bushing swap, to me at least.

IpathCats

« Reply #614 on: January 10, 2023, 05:17:39 AM »
I have found that for mitigating the 139s tipiness, swapping the indy bushings for bones mediums helps them not be as stiff since they have more give but retain a decent return to center feel. Still not as planted feeling as larger trucks, but at least they carve and turn more naturally with that bushing swap, to me at least.

Whatever works for you man!

I'd stock up on bones mediums if you like them though. Most people tend to blow through those fairly quick.

manysnakes

« Reply #615 on: January 10, 2023, 06:48:38 AM »
Are IKPs just an unsolvable mystery of the universe or something?

I don't know what the force would be, but I imagine that there might be something fundamental about the way that the hanger of a truck moves which causes an IKP to wriggle loose.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #616 on: January 10, 2023, 06:52:20 AM »
I wonder if somehow there was a shorter nut with a split washer between it and the plate if that would help? It's just weird that there are parts on cars that move a lot with massive forces on them that have no issues. But those are also torqued more.

Roger__Kook

• Rep: 5
« Reply #617 on: January 10, 2023, 07:21:10 AM »
Just stick some blue loctite on the kingpin and you'll be fine.

manysnakes

« Reply #618 on: January 10, 2023, 07:23:00 AM »
I wonder if somehow there was a shorter nut with a split washer between it and the plate if that would help? It's just weird that there are parts on cars that move a lot with massive forces on them that have no issues. But those are also torqued more.

Hard to say. I don't think split washers work, but there are some other knurled options which might be effective. Maybe replacing the generic Nyloc nut on the bottom all together with a hexlock flex-top Nyloc (or something else like they use in aircraft) might be more effective. The problem there is that those are all patented and proprietary AFAIK, so Independent would be buying a $5 nut to use in every single truck. Another problem is that a lot of those are only made in metric, and of course I have no idea if this would actually work.

These are the cheapest 3/8"-24tpi flex nuts I could find.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295410211179?hash=item44c7d2196b:g:X~IAAOSwX79jlqWd&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoIP8U68Ikq5PPHym8Jspj%2BRxHzLPlWiTMGDPukul%2BHcya0h%2FS%2BUWZ%2BcEuGsFr0sZ8IHd%2FzC5%2FkTIELTQSCxKnvKCswRqNvuk3DC%2FiSb%2BVm%2BQ0jy3t3IAxmDZYAAzezhITWdX833jUYCEQt0A2lCUATXjvzPn3gZUJ09kBw6pCS2XWa6v1magdF9X5TL001EfUv9KoRe7qA7w7jIuRb%2BBefw%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7CJ0cSzYQ

manysnakes

« Reply #619 on: January 10, 2023, 07:34:47 AM »
It also occurs to me that installing a palnut prior to a conventional Nyloc might offer a chance for improvement. Do any of the inverted trucks do something like that?

IpathCats

« Reply #620 on: January 10, 2023, 08:38:16 AM »
Just stick some blue loctite on the kingpin and you'll be fine.

Yea but that means you have to know exactly how tight you want your trucks (without even being able to use the kp threads for reference) before you even skate them. And you would have to re loc tite after your bushings compressed and broke in.

all that extra hassle for a little extra clearance doesn't seem worth it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 10:59:23 AM by IpathCats »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #621 on: January 10, 2023, 11:27:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hard to say. I don't think split washers work, but there are some other knurled options which might be effective. Maybe replacing the generic Nyloc nut on the bottom all together with a hexlock flex-top Nyloc (or something else like they use in aircraft) might be more effective. The problem there is that those are all patented and proprietary AFAIK, so Independent would be buying a $5 nut to use in every single truck. Another problem is that a lot of those are only made in metric, and of course I have no idea if this would actually work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295410211179?hash=item44c7d2196b:g:X~IAAOSwX79jlqWd&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoIP8U68Ikq5PPHym8Jspj%2BRxHzLPlWiTMGDPukul%2BHcya0h%2FS%2BUWZ%2BcEuGsFr0sZ8IHd%2FzC5%2FkTIELTQSCxKnvKCswRqNvuk3DC%2FiSb%2BVm%2BQ0jy3t3IAxmDZYAAzezhITWdX833jUYCEQt0A2lCUATXjvzPn3gZUJ09kBw6pCS2XWa6v1magdF9X5TL001EfUv9KoRe7qA7w7jIuRb%2BBefw%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7CJ0cSzYQ

A normal internally flanged lock washer is pretty thin. I have an external cell antenna on my van that uses them in place of loctite and it is directly in the wind and hasn't loosened at all. Very thin too once cranked down, but not infinitely reusable and won't work with the Indy IKP sleeved plates. For DIY options it could be good.

logjammin

• Rep: 355
« Reply #622 on: January 10, 2023, 11:56:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Never seen or heard of these before so thanks for sharing. These offer a better loosening resistance if I were to swap out the regular nylock nut inside my stage 7 plates? Also, if you think I'd be able to find these at the hardware store regardless of price, lemme know cause I will definitely try them.

manysnakes

« Reply #623 on: January 10, 2023, 12:14:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Never seen or heard of these before so thanks for sharing. These offer a better loosening resistance if I were to swap out the regular nylock nut inside my stage 7 plates? Also, if you think I'd be able to find these at the hardware store regardless of price, lemme know cause I will definitely try them.

Supposedly they do, but I've not used them and I've never came across except when working with CNC equipment. I think that they're intended primarily for airline use. They're certainly not something I've seen even at the neighborhood Tacoma Screw (though feel free to look for yourself).

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #624 on: January 10, 2023, 03:11:49 PM »
About a pair of Independent Skateboard Trucks; Anodized Deep Purple 139 Std. Purchased 12/04/2013. Almost 10 years old. They still have the best turn out of any of my trucks I reckon. Especially noticable when powering out of a fs carve in transition. I also learned Fakie kickflip on a bank with these trucks riding a 8.5 Blind rasta deck, Bones blue clears 58mm (worn down) and bones ceramics (shields removed). It helped having more room to land, and a fast spin because of truck size ratio. They felt stable even on a wider deck.

Thanks for looking friends.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

manysnakes

« Reply #625 on: January 10, 2023, 07:24:49 PM »
I found a pair of those purple 139s at a thrift store. Honestly I thought they absolutely sucked compared to the Stage 11 and I sold them on eBay.

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #626 on: January 10, 2023, 07:37:10 PM »
They are great to me but I never ran the stock bushings. They were a clear purple.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

LebowskisRug

« Reply #627 on: January 10, 2023, 08:47:23 PM »
I had the opposite experience because I'm a weirdo. I had a ton more wheelbite with Thunder 149 than 148.

IpathCats

« Reply #628 on: January 11, 2023, 05:41:44 AM »
I had the opposite experience because I'm a weirdo. I had a ton more wheelbite with Thunder 149 than 148.

Makes sense with their geometry.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Wider trucks are more stable as well, wider/slower turn. Some would argue this is a con, but i feel much more confident on 149s than even 144s.
[close]

I feel this. After skating 139s for a couple of months, I definitely feel more confident on 144s.

I'm not skating Indys (Royals), but the madness of deciding between 139 and 144 has returned. My old madness was 139 vs 149 when 144s weren't an option.

Even now with 144s I'm again curious if 139s will still work better overall. They used to when I didn't know any better. It's got to a point where I've got two setups, one with 139s on 8s and the other with 144s on 8.125s. I really like the stability of 144 and how comfy grinds are, but I wanted 139s for flipping my board. I really can't be bothered with extra washers. Hollow 144 is probably what I need to settle on.

Titanium 144's

manysnakes

« Reply #629 on: January 11, 2023, 07:54:25 AM »
They are great to me but I never ran the stock bushings. They were a clear purple.

That might be it. They had Bones hard bushings in them, and when I swapped for regular Indy bushings, they not only looked really silly but also didn't appear to even fit properly. But I bought them on a waterlogged skateboard for $5 and sold them on eBay for $60 so I cannot complain.