Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 133302 times)

theloniousmonk and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #900 on: February 13, 2023, 08:07:17 AM »
The white 78A bushings are mad soft. Very twitchy. Not stable at all. Can be fun though if you like that but they do make skating much more difficult.

I wouldn't suggest the 78a whites for anyone over 100lbs...even then maybe cap at 60lbs. They are, indeed, mad soft.

Nothing bounces back to center and turns as good as Ace standard duro bushings, imo. Indy aftermarket bushings are good for sure, they just don't feel as lively.

While I agree as I run ACE dual duro classics (low tops) in just about everything that comes stock with a barrel bottom, you can get the same effect using Dual Duro indy setups. 96a (yellow) top, stock orange bottom.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 777
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #901 on: February 13, 2023, 08:19:52 AM »

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 859
« Reply #902 on: February 13, 2023, 08:21:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Saw some Stage IV in person this weekend and the KP clearance is not good. The dude had a shaped board and I rode it briefly, but can't compare to Ace since I haven't ridden those in 4 years and to me they just felt like an Indy, which I haven't really ridden consistently since last July.
[close]

Yea, it looks pretty bad.

I dont even need/want them that badly, i just want to know what theyre like out of curiosity about indys old designs. really dont have much use/need for them.

I am assuming they are going to be heavy also.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #903 on: February 13, 2023, 08:23:29 AM »
So the Stage IV is suppose to have a faster more direct turn? I was going to buy them for a cruiser setup, but now im not so sure. I prefer a more stable slow turn of the 11's then...

IpathCats

« Reply #904 on: February 13, 2023, 09:02:51 AM »
Expand Quote
The white 78A bushings are mad soft. Very twitchy. Not stable at all. Can be fun though if you like that but they do make skating much more difficult.
[close]

I wouldn't suggest the 78a whites for anyone over 100lbs...even then maybe cap at 60lbs. They are, indeed, mad soft.

I have a set of the hardest and the softest indy bushings from my bout with bushing madness. I've considered putting the soft whites on my polarizer. not sure if the hard yellows will ever get used. maybe the tops for a dual duro setup on something.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #905 on: February 13, 2023, 09:09:55 AM »
I use whites on both my cruisers in older 149s and my 215s and I love them for that use - they’re reliably squishy

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #906 on: February 13, 2023, 09:56:42 AM »
So the Stage IV is suppose to have a faster more direct turn? I was going to buy them for a cruiser setup, but now im not so sure. I prefer a more stable slow turn of the 11's then...

Quicker and deeper.

IpathCats

« Reply #907 on: February 13, 2023, 10:29:03 AM »
I use whites on both my cruisers in older 149s and my 215s and I love them for that use - they’re reliably squishy

I can see that making sense, i ollie too much on my cruisers for that though. you're really making me want to swap them on my polarizer now, but god damn i hate fucking with those trucks.

INDY! MAKE A DAMN POLARIZER TRUCK!

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 777
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #908 on: February 13, 2023, 10:44:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I can see that making sense, i ollie too much on my cruisers for that though. you're really making me want to swap them on my polarizer now, but god damn i hate fucking with those trucks.

DIY time

IpathCats

« Reply #909 on: February 13, 2023, 10:59:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

DIY time

WOA! this is sick. gnar'd

dude in the comments said they used a lathe to shorten the hanger and just cut/rethreaded the axels.

that's awesome

IpathCats

« Reply #910 on: February 16, 2023, 07:42:58 AM »
is anyone planning to pick these up from a shop on saturday?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #911 on: February 16, 2023, 08:13:11 AM »

The stage 4s? Yes. My local is saving me some 151s and 166s. Might surf Saturday so won't be able to pick them up until Sunday but I do plan on setting them up as soon as I get them.

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 18
« Reply #912 on: February 16, 2023, 08:13:17 AM »
it's only available in US shops sadly

IpathCats

« Reply #913 on: February 16, 2023, 11:09:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The stage 4s? Yes. My local is saving me some 151s and 166s. Might surf Saturday so won't be able to pick them up until Sunday but I do plan on setting them up as soon as I get them.

Please report back with the juicy deets! SLAP is counting on you

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #914 on: February 16, 2023, 11:12:35 AM »
I'm definitely going to try to scoop some up on Saturday. I love the way Indys grind and am satisfied with the way Stage 11s turn, but sometimes get a case of the wandering eye when I carve around on a friend's setup with Aces. Hoping these Stage IVs will check both boxes while also being the solution to all my life's problems. We'll just have to see about that suspect kingpin clearance. I manage to mash in the kingpin nut before setting a groove on new trucks as it is.

IpathCats

« Reply #915 on: February 16, 2023, 11:23:38 AM »
I'm definitely going to try to scoop some up on Saturday. I love the way Indys grind and am satisfied with the way Stage 11s turn, but sometimes get a case of the wandering eye when I carve around on a friend's setup with Aces. Hoping these Stage IVs will check both boxes while also being the solution to all my life's problems. We'll just have to see about that suspect kingpin clearance. I manage to mash in the kingpin nut before setting a groove on new trucks as it is.

Is that too much to ask from a pair of skateboard trucks?

I dont think so

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #916 on: February 16, 2023, 06:37:33 PM »
Spencer Nuzzi on the Stage 4

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #917 on: February 16, 2023, 07:31:31 PM »
OK, got my hands on some stage 4 151s. Here's my pre-skate assessment:

Pretty much the same size as Ace AF1 60s, both having  about a 153/ 154mm of hanger width.

The Indys are indeed taller and as we expected have less KP clearance.

They are also heavier. The AF1 60s I have came in at  406 grams (with just a little bit of wear) and the Indy 151s came in at 413 grams. Stage 11 159s are slightly wider and reportedly 402 gram, for comparison. So the Stage 4 reissue is certainly a  heavy truck but again this was expected.

Next the Stage 4s bring the wheelbase in, even further than Ace. I haven't done the measurements but it looks pretty substantial.

Quality looks great. There is no way anyone is bending these fuckers. There is a tonne of meat under the hanger. The bushings feel like  new Ace bushings. I'm sure they will firm up with use.

Based on what I am seeing so far, I bet they will turn as advertised but I might not get to actually skate them until Sunday so take all this with a grain of salt.

Edit* just went for a quick push around the block and holy shit these things turn fast... super quick and deep turn. Going to be very curious how they feel when actually skateboarding.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 09:29:54 PM by Frank and Fred »

IpathCats

« Reply #918 on: February 17, 2023, 05:42:55 AM »
thanks for the update.

my curiosity is kinda starting to eat at me now. might have to try these

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #919 on: February 17, 2023, 06:22:07 AM »
Sadly, the 136s intrigue me.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #920 on: February 17, 2023, 06:29:20 AM »
Don't say I didn't warn you about weight and kingpin clearance. The only reason to get these trucks is to experience the 'classic' geometry, which may or may not suit you. Will report more when I get some grinds in.

IpathCats

« Reply #921 on: February 17, 2023, 06:54:18 AM »
Don't say I didn't warn you about weight and kingpin clearance. The only reason to get these trucks is to experience the 'classic' geometry, which may or may not suit you. Will report more when I get some grinds in.

Yea, deff wouldnt get them for my regular board for those reasons.

But on my grimple football shape with dragon wheels....... sounds kinda fun

logjammin

• Rep: 355
« Reply #922 on: February 17, 2023, 07:46:33 AM »
What's it looking like under the baseplate? Will it hold a nut in there for inverted use or is it wider like stage 11's and require JB Weld?

IpathCats

« Reply #923 on: February 17, 2023, 10:58:52 AM »
Maybe im biased becuase i've spent more time on indys overall (still ride/love aces on my cruisers) but i think the stage 4s look better than aces now that ive looked at them more and seen them from every angle.

can someone post some pics of the bottom of the baseplate for our IKP-curious friend @logjammin over here?

IpathCats

« Reply #924 on: February 17, 2023, 11:26:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Maybe im biased becuase i've spent more time on indys overall (still ride/love aces on my cruisers) but i think the stage 4s look better than aces now that ive looked at them more and seen them from every angle.

can someone post some pics of the bottom of the baseplate for our IKP-curious friend @logjammin over here?
[close]

I like the look of them better than the AF1's as well for whatever reason. Skip to 1:38 on the Nuzzi video and he's holding it with the underside of the baseplate showing. The geo would be kind of messed up, but I saw Chuck Hults is running the 4 hangers on the IKP baseplates,  so if you're desperate for non-DIY clearance and just want the T-hanger aesthetic that'd be an option lol

good lookin out

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #925 on: February 17, 2023, 12:53:16 PM »
Stage X is my favourite.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #926 on: February 17, 2023, 01:01:44 PM »

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #927 on: February 17, 2023, 02:49:01 PM »
I have a soft spot for stage 10s since they were my first indys.

terrible kingpin clearance though.

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #928 on: February 17, 2023, 02:54:45 PM »
True, I ground down the original kingpins and I was having trouble with the threads so I hammered them out and put in some new ones. I wonder if I could do rkp with them, I've never tried.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 549
« Reply #929 on: February 17, 2023, 04:20:18 PM »
Stopped by my local to drop off some used decks and got to see the stage 4s in person. Didn’t seem heavier than comparable sized standards and kingpin clearance is the same as the new 215s(non cross baseplates). With the nut flush to the top of the threads it was sitting about dead center of the axle. Sorry, didn’t pay attention to see if they had the hex pins or the new style. Also know what’s in the black bags for 2/18 now.