Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 129756 times)

OHJEEZZZUUSSS and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

IpathCats

Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #990 on: February 20, 2023, 03:05:32 PM »
I think my biggest takeaway from this was the use of marble/granite in skateparks in Japan. Very nice.

The whole riding around in the kei truck with your homie vibe looked cool too.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #991 on: February 20, 2023, 03:53:37 PM »
I watched a bit of it on auto translate, seemed to work ok, but I lost interest......

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #992 on: February 20, 2023, 04:54:08 PM »
I think my biggest takeaway from this was the use of marble/granite in skateparks in Japan. Very nice.

The whole riding around in the kei truck with your homie vibe looked cool too.

Amazing. Buy the most carvy trucks possible and not bother turning on them.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #993 on: February 20, 2023, 05:24:17 PM »
Haha. Damn bushings are too firm.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #994 on: February 21, 2023, 01:22:25 AM »
According to NHS skate direct site Q&A:
Stage 4s have approximately .23” shorter wheelbase than Stage 11.

Sounds pretty damn short, if I'm not mistaken, shorter than aces

IpathCats

« Reply #995 on: February 21, 2023, 03:17:34 AM »
According to NHS skate direct site Q&A:
Stage 4s have approximately .23” shorter wheelbase than Stage 11.

Sounds pretty damn short, if I'm not mistaken, shorter than aces

It's cool they're obliging us truck nerds with stats like that.

Someone earlier had them setup on a board with the same WB as another deck with aces and they looked the same.

Though bushings compressing could play a role

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #996 on: February 21, 2023, 04:18:56 AM »
I wouldn’t trust any measurements from any skate company. They’re so often wrong in so many ways. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Stage 4 measurements are off too.

IpathCats

« Reply #997 on: February 21, 2023, 04:38:50 AM »
I wouldn’t trust any measurements from any skate company. They’re so often wrong in so many ways. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Stage 4 measurements are off too.

Has Indy burned us in the past with bad stats?

I've only seen this from Ace

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #998 on: February 21, 2023, 04:46:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I always read people don't know the Stats.

ACE Classics 52mm

ACE AF1 53.5mm

ACE STAGE IV 55mm

Stop reading the specs from Zumiez and Tactics bros.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 05:05:30 AM by Diamond_Dallas_Pudge »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #999 on: February 21, 2023, 05:19:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not sure. I’ve also seen it from Venture & Thunder at least. For deck brands pretty much all of them. Stage 4 would be 2.77” then compared to 2.75”(?) for Ace Classics? Aren't Ace AF1s the same as Indy Stage 11 (3.00”)? Not that it really matters much. Might tell something about the turn or might not.  :)

IpathCats

« Reply #1000 on: February 21, 2023, 05:24:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not sure. I’ve also seen it from Venture & Thunder at least. For deck brands pretty much all of them. Stage 4 would be 2.77” then compared to 2.75”(?) for Ace Classics? Aren't Ace AF1s the same as Indy Stage 11 (3.00”)? Not that it really matters much. Might tell something about the turn or might not.  :)

shorter WB would def imply a tighter turning radius

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #1001 on: February 21, 2023, 07:43:10 AM »
Ok, I feel like NOW I can give a proper assessment of the stage 4 after skating then last night for about 2 hours on a nice curb session.

my first initial thought after popping a few tricks is, these are HEAVY. I don’t have a scale, but I would venture to say these are definitely the heaviest Indy’s I’ve ever skated.

However, what they lack in lightness, they certainly make up for in all other areas.

The turn on these trucks is unmatched. The first 30 minutes was very rough because the bushings hadn’t firmed up yet, and the wheel bite was crazy, I weigh MAYBE 120lbs and I was wheelbiting everywhere. but eventually they firmed up a bit and started to break in nice. I’ve never been very good at transition, but i feel like these stage 4’s paired with the 55 radials I have on the board, are gonna make it a lot easier and more enjoyable to learn some ramp tricks.

I like to do control tests with different setups to see the vast difference in turning. I popped a few back 180’s on my board with venture high’s and then a few on the stage 4’s. it felt amazing being able to turn out on an angle that I would’ve had to kinda power slide out of on ventures. These trucks are most definitely more geared towards transition/bowl skaters, but they can be skated like a normal street trucks too.

the most positive feature of these new trucks though, is the GRIND!! we all know Indy are the best grinding truck already, but the stage 4 grinds even better than Indy stage 11’s.

Another feature I like is that they dont really bind that bad as far as washer to hanger contact is concerned. IDK if it’s the washers they use in the stage 4’s (they use the same washers that come with Indy aftermarket bushings) or the shape of the bushings, but you can see where they would normally bind on any other trucks, and there is little to no nicks.
idk why, but that’s always been a big annoyance of mine, but I also don’t like the way those flat bones washers look on trucks.

so yea, overall, I really really like these trucks. I do hope they eventually come out with stage 4’s that have all the lightweight bells and whistles, but until then, I’ll definitely enjoy these.

I just bought a new set of Indy S11 TI’s so those will go on my everyday board. and I think these will eventually go on a setup I’m gonna make just for ramps. Probably put them on a 8.18-8.25, with the 55’s.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

IpathCats

« Reply #1002 on: February 21, 2023, 07:56:40 AM »
Ok, I feel like NOW I can give a proper assessment of the stage 4 after skating then last night for about 2 hours on a nice curb session.

my first initial thought after popping a few tricks is, these are HEAVY. I don’t have a scale, but I would venture to say these are definitely the heaviest Indy’s I’ve ever skated.

However, what they lack in lightness, they certainly make up for in all other areas.

The turn on these trucks is unmatched. The first 30 minutes was very rough because the bushings hadn’t firmed up yet, and the wheel bite was crazy, I weigh MAYBE 120lbs and I was wheelbiting everywhere. but eventually they firmed up a bit and started to break in nice. I’ve never been very good at transition, but i feel like these stage 4’s paired with the 55 radials I have on the board, are gonna make it a lot easier and more enjoyable to learn some ramp tricks.

I like to do control tests with different setups to see the vast difference in turning. I popped a few back 180’s on my board with venture high’s and then a few on the stage 4’s. it felt amazing being able to turn out on an angle that I would’ve had to kinda power slide out of on ventures. These trucks are most definitely more geared towards transition/bowl skaters, but they can be skated like a normal street trucks too.

the most positive feature of these new trucks though, is the GRIND!! we all know Indy are the best grinding truck already, but the stage 4 grinds even better than Indy stage 11’s.

Another feature I like is that they dont really bind that bad as far as washer to hanger contact is concerned. IDK if it’s the washers they use in the stage 4’s (they use the same washers that come with Indy aftermarket bushings) or the shape of the bushings, but you can see where they would normally bind on any other trucks, and there is little to no nicks.
idk why, but that’s always been a big annoyance of mine, but I also don’t like the way those flat bones washers look on trucks.

so yea, overall, I really really like these trucks. I do hope they eventually come out with stage 4’s that have all the lightweight bells and whistles, but until then, I’ll definitely enjoy these.

I just bought a new set of Indy S11 TI’s so those will go on my everyday board. and I think these will eventually go on a setup I’m gonna make just for ramps. Probably put them on a 8.18-8.25, with the 55’s.

Thanks for the feedback man.

wonder what makes the grind different? just the shape or are these using a different alloy than stage 11?

when you say its "better" what exactly do you mean? did you grind further than before? did things take less effort to grind? did you feel more locked in/in control?

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #1003 on: February 21, 2023, 09:05:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

wonder what makes the grind different? just the shape or are these using a different alloy than stage 11?

when you say its "better" what exactly do you mean? did you grind further than before? did things take less effort to grind? did you feel more locked in/in control?

I would say all three aspects you brought up they were improved in. But the one thing I noticed more than anything was how it took less effort to grind. Felt like I was grinding on marble but I was grinding on crusty yellow curbs
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

IpathCats

« Reply #1004 on: February 21, 2023, 10:16:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I would say all three aspects you brought up they were improved in. But the one thing I noticed more than anything was how it took less effort to grind. Felt like I was grinding on marble but I was grinding on crusty yellow curbs

interesting. I've been trying not to buy these since i simply dont need them, but im not sure how much longer thats gonna last.

Curiosity is about to kill the (ipath) cat

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
« Reply #1005 on: February 21, 2023, 10:22:48 AM »
My guess is softer….like ace classics….not like ventures….

IpathCats

« Reply #1006 on: February 21, 2023, 10:24:45 AM »
My guess is softer….like ace classics….not like ventures….

imo ace classics grind slower (but more controlled) because of the softer alloy.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #1007 on: February 21, 2023, 10:47:34 AM »
Wild guess: it is the rod-shaped hangar coupled with the fact that it is pushed inwards a bit so your weight is more directly over it than it is pushing at an angle (like having the axle further out would). They alloy is probably the same as regular Indy, but the fact that your weight is center over it more than on a standard helps it grind faster.

Or something. I am a big dummy who is just guessing. I want to try these even though I have standard 149s, 159s, and a drawer full of Ace 44 classic parts.

IpathCats

« Reply #1008 on: February 21, 2023, 11:01:34 AM »
Wild guess: it is the rod-shaped hangar coupled with the fact that it is pushed inwards a bit so your weight is more directly over it than it is pushing at an angle (like having the axle further out would). They alloy is probably the same as regular Indy, but the fact that your weight is center over it more than on a standard helps it grind faster.

Or something. I am a big dummy who is just guessing. I want to try these even though I have standard 149s, 159s, and a drawer full of Ace 44 classic parts.

interesting thought here. could have an impact.

heavier trucks also tend to plow through shit easier since they have more momentum? velocity? idk which.

Theyre heavier, so theyre harder to stop once they start moving.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #1009 on: February 21, 2023, 11:05:26 AM »
Also the hangers are so damn chunky. So perhaps they way a wide wheel will barge over crust these chunky hangers will smash through grinds easier. IPathCats you should just tame you curiosity and check them out. I give you permission.

Mongo Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 172
« Reply #1010 on: February 21, 2023, 11:07:16 AM »
I won’t be able to skate mine today (rain/snow), but first impression upon seeing them is that the hanger isn’t as slim as it appears in photos online. It sort of reminds me of a beefier thunder team truck hanger.

It goes without saying that Ace and Lurpiv both have a “slimmer” look.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

IpathCats

« Reply #1011 on: February 21, 2023, 11:43:14 AM »
Also the hangers are so damn chunky. So perhaps they way a wide wheel will barge over crust these chunky hangers will smash through grinds easier. IPathCats you should just tame you curiosity and check them out. I give you permission.

lol thanks man, we'll see. I have no desire to skate them on my regular setup, so they would be a strictly cruiser truck for me. ill see if any shops near me have them online. feel free to link any legit skate shops that have the 151s for sale online.

I won’t be able to skate mine today (rain/snow), but first impression upon seeing them is that the hanger isn’t as slim as it appears in photos online. It sort of reminds me of a beefier thunder team truck hanger.

It goes without saying that Ace and Lurpiv both have a “slimmer” look.

I've noticed that too from seeing the different angles of them in posts. sort of a deceptive shape. Probably to prevent bending the hanger if i had to guess.

which would be a huge upgrade over ace.

BL0B

• Rep: 417
« Reply #1012 on: February 21, 2023, 07:18:23 PM »
a forged hollow and stage 4 base plate, the riptides are leftover from years ago when indy 1st moved to china. bushing and pivot cups were shit then, the stage 4 cups and bushings look good enough. those are aftermarket conical bottoms (orange) and aftermarket barrel bottoms (blue). tops are aftermarkets. the red stock stage 4's are ever so slightly taller than the aftermarket orange conical bottoms, and quite a bit taller than the blue barrles, the red tops are a quite a bit taller than both aftermarket tops.

you can also see the anlge of the cups & kinpins might be different.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1013 on: February 21, 2023, 07:28:10 PM »
A few other relevant measurements and notes for those looking to Frankenstein the Stage 4 pieces for lower kingpins, curiosity, or both…

215 hanger on Stage 4 baseplate:

53.5mm avg. axle height
(Interestingly, I also got this measurement on the stock stage 4s even though the Indy marketing says 55mm.)

Wheelbase +2.6 in.
(I was an idiot and forgot to measure the wheelbase on the stock Stage 4s before I started tinkering with the different combos. Whoops.)

Stage 4 hanger on Standard Stage XI 6-hole plate:

55mm avg. axle height
(Another interesting sidebar, this combo and the 215s on the stock baseplate are the only Indys I have that actually measure 55mm tall. All the others, even the 169 Standards, are 53-54mm like the forged ones are supposed to be. Weird.)

Wheelbase +2.875 in.
(This one I measured on the setup. True wheelbase 17.375 in. minus 14.5 in.* AH Green Eagle wheelbase.)

EDIT: *Got fooled by my tape measure before. Green Eagle is indeed 14.5 wheelbase.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 08:15:46 PM by intendedreceivers »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1014 on: February 21, 2023, 07:41:13 PM »
If someone could get stats of indy 4 hangers on stage 11 forged plates that would be really good

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1015 on: February 21, 2023, 08:10:56 PM »
Dope so you can buy 2 trucks to make a single truck. Why would anyone want a heavier Stage XI hanger I don't get it. The bushing does make the KP worse on Stage IV, but it looks as if there is less meat on top of the axle too.

BL0B

« Reply #1016 on: February 21, 2023, 08:19:40 PM »
Dope so you can buy 2 trucks to make a single truck. Why would anyone want a heavier Stage XI hanger I don't get it. The bushing does make the KP worse on Stage IV, but it looks as if there is less meat on top of the axle too.

yeah, why would you want to do that?

having both trucks here in front of me, there's no way i'd swap any of the parts on them except for pivot cups.

doesn't mean people wont still frankentruck them.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1017 on: February 21, 2023, 08:22:12 PM »
a forged hollow and stage 4 base plate, the riptides are leftover from years ago when indy 1st moved to china. bushing and pivot cups were shit then, the stage 4 cups and bushings look good enough. those are aftermarket conical bottoms (orange) and aftermarket barrel bottoms (blue). tops are aftermarkets. the red stock stage 4's are ever so slightly taller than the aftermarket orange conical bottoms, and quite a bit taller than the blue barrles, the red tops are a quite a bit taller than both aftermarket tops.

Assuming IV is on the left the kingpin to pivot distance is much shorter. Wouldn't that suggest that while they sorta line up with Stage IV bushing/hanger angle that you're quite fucking with the geometry here?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1018 on: February 21, 2023, 08:27:48 PM »
If someone could get stats of indy 4 hangers on stage 11 forged plates that would be really good

I got 53.5mm height and the wheelbase was about the same +2.875 in., maybe a little closer to +2.9 in.

And you could run these very loose using stock Indy bushings, or you could firm it up a little by using the Stage 4 top bushings.

BL0B

« Reply #1019 on: February 21, 2023, 08:28:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Assuming IV is on the left the kingpin to pivot distance is much shorter. Wouldn't that suggest that while they sorta line up with Stage IV bushing/hanger angle that you're quite fucking with the geometry here?

they are so different, i didn't even bother trying or think about swapping, just wanted to show some differences, baseplate, bushings ect.... forged hollow, has the hollow kingpin and cross on the baseplate, those are 11's. the stage 4's have the solid kingpin, no cross.