Do Rails make your board last longer?

Yes
7 (21.2%)
No
14 (42.4%)
Fred Gall
12 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Do rails make your deck last longer?  (Read 452 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
Do rails make your deck last longer?
« on: April 27, 2023, 10:28:15 AM »
Settle an argument: In my mind, rails prolong the life of my board, especially for the skating I do (mostly low impact/curbs/skatepark). They protect the graphic/bottom ply of my deck and I think they provide additional strength. That being said, I'm a HUGE idiot and this is mostly based on *~*ViBeS*~*

Some of my friends disagree. I also know that some people think drilling the screws into the board will weaken it. I'm mostly wondering what other peoples thoughts are.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
Re: Do rails make your deck last longer?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 10:31:35 AM »
The strength of the skateboard comes primarily from 7 cross-laminated plies of wood. Adding two plastic braces at the outermost edge of the skateboard is not significantly contributing to the strength or longevity of a skateboard, just as the eight small holes at the edge are not in any meaningful way weakening the deck.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

streetmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 10:38:10 AM »
long time rail guy here. no.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 10:40:02 AM »
Definitely not. It can hold your bloard together after a break but screwing stuff into your bloard will always make the chances of getting that initial break higher I believe.

I wish I had some rails too. I just can't ever remember that when I have money. Also buying the plastic kinda makes me feel badly.

I should ask some of the younger homies if anyone has an old set. I'd def skate some old tummy sticks or whatever. I love orange rails. I'd trade them something cool for um if needed but I've given product to locals so I know they would not charge me probably if they got
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Streebo

• Rep: -31
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 11:15:58 AM »
No but the graphic yes

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 11:30:21 PM »
rails give me that extra mental support

Bigfoot is real

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 01:54:13 AM »
As a relatively light, pj ladd/ kalis inspired skater, the wheelbase of the board has rarely if ever been the reason I retire a deck.
Razor tail and or chipped nose and tail account for 99% while 1% is just when the board is too old and has no rebound/pop left and feels unreactive - typically after skating perfect ground indoor parks or whatever garages for 5-7 months of the winter.

then again my option is invalid since I have never skated rails and never plan to, since it falls outside the realm of WWKD.