Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4826193 times)

TheBoognish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #30930 on: April 23, 2022, 12:52:47 PM »
Expand Quote
First deluxe in awhile. Do they normally sound damped? Like water log like but it don’t feel soggy?
[close]

unpopular opinion = yes (to me anyway, it's why they are not my first choice; but I like stiffer boards anway like Dwindle/crail)

Are the bearings new/wheels too tight?

What were you riding prior? If it was something really crispy anything will feel logged afterward.

Deluxe just doesn’t have the stiffness it used to have it seems, and I rode nothing but Real’s for close to 5 years.

Maybe because i’ve been using South Central exclusively for about 3 years now, but I remember them being stiffer.

SC has a damn good crack when you pop it right, sounds like a gunshot.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #30931 on: April 23, 2022, 01:26:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
First deluxe in awhile. Do they normally sound damped? Like water log like but it don’t feel soggy?
[close]

unpopular opinion = yes (to me anyway, it's why they are not my first choice; but I like stiffer boards anway like Dwindle/crail)

What were you riding prior? If it was something really crispy anything will feel logged afterward.
[close]

Deluxe just doesn’t have the stiffness it used to have it seems, and I rode nothing but Real’s for close to 5 years.

Maybe because i’ve been using South Central exclusively for about 3 years now, but I remember them being stiffer.

I had a crail/chocolate before…was skating a hockey deck further back. I do have 3 washers in on all wheels and have a slight wiggle room. Wheels/Bearings have been broken in for a couple of weeks now, also both being brand new altogether from the last deck. I really do believe it’s the wood. It just feels off it’s like messing with my tempo for tricks. Does this go away for the life remainder of the deck? I also notice that only the top fly was colored and the rest are all wood grain.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 791
« Reply #30932 on: April 23, 2022, 01:52:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I had a crail/chocolate before…was skating a hockey deck further back. I do have 3 washers in on all wheels and have a slight wiggle room. Wheels/Bearings have been broken in for a couple of weeks now, also both being brand new altogether from the last deck. I really do believe it’s the wood. It just feels off it’s like messing with my tempo for tricks. Does this go away for the life remainder of the deck? I also notice that only the top fly was colored and the rest are all wood grain.

i thought that green eagle is 32.25 long, at least that’s what the sticker says, and usually they have the bottom ply colored too. only the top colored ply is something deluxe does with their price point decks but they have different graphics on them, and they definitely feel a little less snappy than the regular dlx decks.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #30933 on: April 23, 2022, 01:59:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i thought that green eagle is 32.25 long, at least that’s what the sticker says, and usually they have the bottom ply colored too. only the top colored ply is something deluxe does with their price point decks but they have different graphics on them, and they definitely feel a little less snappy than the regular dlx decks.

I was gonna ask if it was a price point deck too. I've only skated anti hero once and had a couple of real full SE and they were pretty snappy tbh. Nowadays I mostly skate shop decks though (my decks end up chipped to hell within a week most times anyways) with the occasionnal pro deck once in a while. Pro decks are so expensive now that I feel so dumb when I either chip my board on the first couple of sesh or if I end up just not liking the deck that much.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
« Reply #30934 on: April 23, 2022, 03:55:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had a Real deck last summer and it was absolutely the worst skateboard I've had in a long time. Even my flimsy Chapman decks were better, they just broke too quick.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #30935 on: April 23, 2022, 05:48:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was gonna ask if it was a price point deck too. I've only skated anti hero once and had a couple of real full SE and they were pretty snappy tbh. Nowadays I mostly skate shop decks though (my decks end up chipped to hell within a week most times anyways) with the occasionnal pro deck once in a while. Pro decks are so expensive now that I feel so dumb when I either chip my board on the first couple of sesh or if I end up just not liking the deck that much.

You definitely have me very curious about the board now, as that totally sounds like pricepoint wood, which would also explain the not so crisy feeling too.

Can you take a pic of the side layers?

Also just checking what number was stamped into the deck over the front bolts and did it have the usual red and white warning sticker with Made in Mexico on it?

Thanks.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #30936 on: April 23, 2022, 06:47:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I had a Real deck last summer and it was absolutely the worst skateboard I've had in a long time. Even my flimsy Chapman decks were better, they just broke too quick.

I had the anti hero graphic with the moose sex on it…graphic sucked, but the wood sucked worse. ‘Undercooked’ was the feel at the time. I just chalked it up to Covid shit, them pumping boards out as fast as they could.
That being said, to me, bbs isn’t what it once was. For context, I really like ps stix boards, so some of this is just personal preference. I think I really became aware of bbs/generator around the time of kayo, so early 2000s. The quality was very good. I think ps was lacking at the time, and even as a huge stix fan, I’ll note the obvious which is to say that consistency isn’t their strong suit. Across any era.
Anyways, bbs was the shit for quite awhile. To this day, if a pro is in between boards co’s, anti-hero or Krooked is the go to, partly due to their reps as companies, I think they are also generous with product, and also the quality (on a long enough timeline it all seems to distill to vans/indy/dlx boards/spitfires/Swiss).
To me, bbs boards started lacking some 3-4 years ago. I also don’t favor the concave as much.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #30937 on: April 24, 2022, 09:18:55 PM »
Mistakenly left my 7.5” setup at Newark park Friday before last. Not as tragic as it could have been if I were in high school or college, I only hope someone who needs a board got it. It bums me out to have to break new trucks in but other than that I’ve been enjoying this one so far. I’ve spent the last week skating my 8.5” instead so it’s kind of weird having to readjust to a skinny board again.

Girl Howard reissue 7.5”
Venture 5.0 los standard, not hollow or forged or anything like that
Nfg teardrop 52mm old formula
Reds
Jessup

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #30938 on: April 25, 2022, 12:48:16 AM »
https://ibb.co/GW9HtGd

Primitive Desarmo 8.38
Venture 5.8 v light
Spitfire f4's 54mm 99's
Modus hardware
Bronson bearings
Jessup grip

(this shape feels great on forged ventures with a mellow tail and 14.18 wheelbase.)

so ive just slapped on this primitive over the weekend, thought it was going to be bbs wood but when it came it had  a 'made in china' label on.

me and my friend were comparing his chocolate to it at the skatepark and they look very similar, as in coloured bottom, middle and top plies aswell as a few other similarities. shape, feel etc.

anyone else reckon these are pressed at Dailan Huahong same as the crail boards?

"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #30939 on: April 25, 2022, 01:22:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You definitely have me very curious about the board now, as that totally sounds like pricepoint wood, which would also explain the not so crisy feeling too.

Also just checking what number was stamped into the deck over the front bolts and did it have the usual red and white warning sticker with Made in Mexico on it?

Thanks.

For the dude that asked if I sanded the edges to show the wood grain on the bottom ply, well it came like that.

I totally forgot to take a look at the dimension sticker for length as I was only looking for width x wheelbase. Hence why I took the dimension specs from Tactics. Just took the measurement length and it is indeed 32.25”. Funny thing is that I got the board for free from a dlx rep that distributes for all the shops in my state. Anyhow i remember it had the “II” stamped, no warning sticker.

Here’s the wood ply layer pics.

Skated again today and it still has that dampening sound. It’s so weird and irritating. The crail board previously did not do this even tho the wheels were on tightly(w/ 3 washers in) at the beggining of that Christmas complete.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #30940 on: April 25, 2022, 06:46:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks.
[close]
Here’s the wood ply layer pics.

looks like pricepoint wood to me

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #30941 on: April 25, 2022, 07:11:19 AM »
Especially that middle ply. Maybe a “renewal “ ply was added to the middle by mistake instead of the dyed ply that’s usually there? Probably why the rep had some to give away. As in, these didn’t pass quality control so hand em out to folks who need a board.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #30942 on: April 25, 2022, 07:17:24 AM »
Looking at my current stack of assorted Eagles, none of them have colored middle plies. They’re all colored bottom and two colored plies on the top.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #30943 on: April 25, 2022, 07:25:48 AM »
That looks like all the price point decks I saw at DLX last week. Aren’t Eagles normally price points? Anyways it looks like the Real $40 decks so that might explain it.

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #30944 on: April 25, 2022, 07:34:51 AM »
Looking at my current stack of assorted Eagles, none of them have colored middle plies. They’re all colored bottom and two colored plies on the top.

the last 5 deluxe boards I skated had two top coloured plys and one on the bottom, there was no coloured ply in the middle.

opposite of the desarmo primitive I'm on now - the top, bottom and middle ply's are coloured looks very similar to the crail decks. the primitive label said 'made in china' but not sure if it Dalian Huagong or not.
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
« Reply #30945 on: April 25, 2022, 08:24:30 AM »
That looks like all the price point decks I saw at DLX last week. Aren’t Eagles normally price points? Anyways it looks like the Real $40 decks so that might explain it.

Regular Eagles are standard Antihero, "Copier Eagles" are the pricepoint decks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #30946 on: April 25, 2022, 10:29:32 AM »

Just rechecked mine and you’re correct two dyed top plies, one dyed bottom ply.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #30947 on: April 25, 2022, 06:40:36 PM »

Thanks for the pics and info.

I probably posted this before but this is the best set of pics with info about the pro boards compared to the pricepoint boards.

Given what you said, that would certainly be the middle board option (pricepoint) with the eagle graphic (usually pro wood) which I have never seen before, but as with anything, there could easily be changes happening, or just that one printed on the wrong board, etc.

Pro wood - currently two top and one bottom stained layers, as said by others and see here a couple of pics in

Pricepoint 1 - one top stained layer only and the rest natural

Pricepoint 2 - all natural layers only

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

biaherl

• Rep: 269
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #30948 on: April 25, 2022, 07:54:49 PM »
I've always understood it as the more expensive the board the more colored plys. Color dyed plys cost more and adds that certain Je ne sais quoi that makes us go back for more

Yo biaherl mate, it is thursday. What did your doctor say?
Any good news?

Thanks for asking mate @fs1/2cab I've been busy so I haven't been able to post lately just lurk real quick. Like most US healthcare providers they didn't know why I was there. Went to physical therapy and could tell the guy was just going off his textbook with stuff that I've already been doing. My symptoms are getting gradually better everyday

My mom suffers from Ménière’s disease, has for decades. It got bad enough that she just had her left eardrum removed in order to keep herself balanced. My brother suffers now from vertigo too, probably the same thing. In any event, one thing that they recommend that has really worked for her a for a friend’s father who also suffers is an extremely low sodium diet. It’s not even a permanent thing, just something to try during periods when the vertigo is acting up.

Best of luck. I know how bad this shit can be.

Thanks @manysnakes  I went on a low sodium diet right away and have been keeping it below 2000mg everyday which ain't easy

Had Vertigo a few years ago, insane...just thought it was low blood sugar/light headed. Woke the next day absolutely swimming - had to literally crawl otherwise I would instantly vomit from trying to stand. Worst non-drunken bedspins (eyes open or closed) ever. 3 weeks straight (video games kept me focused/tunnel vision) couldn't eat or sleep well at all, was worried it was the onset of Ménière’s. Went to urgent care, dude was clueless about vertigo "it should just go away" I had some swollen lymph nodes in my upper lip though so he removed them...come to find out later I probably had a viral infection that cause the nodes and my inner ear to get farked, potentially starting from the nodes. To this day I have no idea what the real cause was. Shit is no joke, hope you find balance soon!

Thanks almost there @Xen  Can't wait to see how much better I am at the park on Wednesday. Gotta get my old as back in the streets too. I hate it. My first experience with vertigo was kinda like yours but I'm dumb enough to get it again

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Now go skate you're the luckiest people alive

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #30949 on: April 25, 2022, 11:50:47 PM »
I've always understood it as the more expensive the board the more colored plys. Color dyed plys cost more and adds that certain Je ne sais quoi that makes us go back for more

Expand Quote
Yo biaherl mate, it is thursday. What did your doctor say?
Any good news?
[close]

Thanks for asking mate @fs1/2cab I've been busy so I haven't been able to post lately just lurk real quick. Like most US healthcare providers they didn't know why I was there. Went to physical therapy and could tell the guy was just going off his textbook with stuff that I've already been doing. My symptoms are getting gradually better everyday

Expand Quote
My mom suffers from Ménière’s disease, has for decades. It got bad enough that she just had her left eardrum removed in order to keep herself balanced. My brother suffers now from vertigo too, probably the same thing. In any event, one thing that they recommend that has really worked for her a for a friend’s father who also suffers is an extremely low sodium diet. It’s not even a permanent thing, just something to try during periods when the vertigo is acting up.

Best of luck. I know how bad this shit can be.
[close]

Thanks @manysnakes  I went on a low sodium diet right away and have been keeping it below 2000mg everyday which ain't easy

Expand Quote
Had Vertigo a few years ago, insane...just thought it was low blood sugar/light headed. Woke the next day absolutely swimming - had to literally crawl otherwise I would instantly vomit from trying to stand. Worst non-drunken bedspins (eyes open or closed) ever. 3 weeks straight (video games kept me focused/tunnel vision) couldn't eat or sleep well at all, was worried it was the onset of Ménière’s. Went to urgent care, dude was clueless about vertigo "it should just go away" I had some swollen lymph nodes in my upper lip though so he removed them...come to find out later I probably had a viral infection that cause the nodes and my inner ear to get farked, potentially starting from the nodes. To this day I have no idea what the real cause was. Shit is no joke, hope you find balance soon!
[close]

Thanks almost there @Xen  Can't wait to see how much better I am at the park on Wednesday. Gotta get my old as back in the streets too. I hate it. My first experience with vertigo was kinda like yours but I'm dumb enough to get it again

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Now go skate you're the luckiest people alive

Yo, that's nice, that your symptoms are getting better now. Take it easy and maybe stretch your head and shoulders before you skate, that's what helped me.
IG: @flowterspace

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #30950 on: April 26, 2022, 12:40:57 PM »

Krooked 8.38x32.25x14.5
Thunder hollow light 149
Free worn down Spitfire radials 53 to 51/50

First set of Thunders and lowest lightest board I’ve had after all Indy’s on 56 for ever

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30951 on: April 26, 2022, 01:01:32 PM »

Krooked 8.38x32.25x14.5
Thunder hollow light 149

First set of Thunders and lowest lightest board I’ve had after all Indy’s on 56 for ever

Looks dope, nice graphic and setup.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #30952 on: April 26, 2022, 03:02:43 PM »

Krooked 8.38x32.25x14.5
Thunder hollow light 149

I love this shape on thunders. Thought the WB would be too long but I had a blast on the last 8.38 eagle I setup. Nice one!

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #30953 on: April 26, 2022, 03:53:53 PM »

First session on this was fun. Didn’t get too long because it rained but still fun shape. Mostly did slappies and 50-50s but I think I’ll enjoy this. Hoping to learn some more flat ground on it.

Edit: totally forgot to add what everything is

Chocolate 8.5 x 31.95 14.5 wb G057 Carl Aikens pro debut (and shape)
Venture 5.8 standard cast Lucien Clarke doom logo
F4 52 mm classics
Cheap shots bearings I think? I always cheap out on bearings
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 06:06:09 PM by hobochimp »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30954 on: April 26, 2022, 04:01:22 PM »

First session on this was fun. Didn’t get too long because it rained but still fun shape. Mostly did slappies and 50-50s but I think I’ll enjoy this. Hoping to learn some more flat ground on it.

This looks dope

oliknight

« Reply #30955 on: April 27, 2022, 11:58:33 AM »

Trying out the new Breanna Geering 55mm spitfires.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #30956 on: April 27, 2022, 06:24:50 PM »
Well its in parts but here ya go. Will set it up tonight.
Magenta Plant 8.8
Ace AF1 66 blue/orange base plate
Ace Hard Bushings - I am a bigger guy and I wanna run a little bit tighter on this setup.
Dialtone 53mm wide conicals (Del Negro wheel)
Hopps 1" hardware (I have some magenta 7/8 coming in a separate order but not sure I can wait)
Dialtone bearings
Pepper grip! firsttimer here.

I wanted a slightly smaller (I usually ride the 9" CODA shape) and slower bearings (weird yes) and wider wheel setup for skating my mini and street.

ok thanks

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #30957 on: April 27, 2022, 08:24:52 PM »
Well its in parts but here ya go. Will set it up tonight.
Magenta Plant 8.8
Ace AF1 66 blue/orange base plate
Ace Hard Bushings - I am a bigger guy and I wanna run a little bit tighter on this setup.
Dialtone 53mm wide conicals (Del Negro wheel)
Hopps 1" hardware (I have some magenta 7/8 coming in a separate order but not sure I can wait)
Dialtone bearings
Pepper grip! firsttimer here.

I wanted a slightly smaller (I usually ride the 9" CODA shape) and slower bearings (weird yes) and wider wheel setup for skating my mini and street.

seeing pepper around a lot lately, someone enlighten me pls

LebowskisRug

« Reply #30958 on: April 27, 2022, 08:43:52 PM »
It's the same price as other griptapes and feels like a mayyyybe slightly grittier Jessup that has perforations so it's marginally easier to apply and it seems to not trap dust as easily maybe. So, its griptape and a no risk thing to try.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #30959 on: April 27, 2022, 08:48:24 PM »
It's the same price as other griptapes and feels like a mayyyybe slightly grittier Jessup that has perforations so it's marginally easier to apply and it seems to not trap dust as easily maybe. So, its griptape and a no risk thing to try.

love it, ty. i'll give it a shot next time i see it