Author Topic: Do It or Don't Do It?  (Read 13458 times)

syn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Do It or Don't Do It?
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2006, 10:03:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Support what you like, but don't kid yourself Nike or Adidas as a whole doesn't care about skateboarding, a select few employees do and when their "team" doesn't make sales projections anymore them and the team will be on the unemployment line.
I like Adidas and have two pairs, I also like I Path but have heard from many good sources that the owner is a greedy lawyer only out for the money, is that true I don't know. Vox is rad, but I was told they have backing from a Koren business is this true? I don't know. Vans, any one remember the crap they where putting out in the mid 90's? I have also heard that DVS, Etnies, Osiris, Globe, DC all pay their non skate riders(wake boarders, motocross, surf etc..)more then the skaters who made their names for them, is it true?

But there is still a lot of small skate companies to support, and I do agree with Birdo about the large sport stores getting a huge discount on products while real skate shops don't I think that is wrong and should be stopped.
[close]

Ipath is ran by a very greedy owner - which is why adio passed on the offer when ipath was up for sale a few months back. now ipath is up for sale again - this time Volcom ( who has been looking to get into the $shoe market$ for quite some time ) is at the table and will most likely purchase them for a slighty inflated price - and when i say inflated price - is because Ipath hasnt been doing so well bizness wise in the past year if you havent noticed. The company backing VOX is a korean bizness man - who just happens to own a vulcanized factory which is why most VOX shoes are vulcanized buttt the guy does, or did skate but never went pro - not that he even tried. ...   so he went into bizness doing whatever and that lead to owning a firm who owns a vulcanized factory ( plus other non-shoe factories for clothing-backpacks etc.. ) VOX can pretty much run at a loss for 2 years and still be just fine. last i heard was that they are most likely turning a profit by the end of the fiscal year -- which is pretty dam good.

I'm not trying to attack you or call you a liar, but how do you know all this? Messageboard information is always slightly suspect, even though I am inclined to believe you......
Skateboarding has already been bought, sold, packaged and sailed down the river. We were just too busy being cool to notice - Vibetek

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2006, 10:26:51 AM »
Did it.

thumbhead

• Rep: 14
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2006, 04:59:41 PM »
you can't skate barefoot. all i need are some tasty waves, cool buzz, and i'm fine.

Cliche Guevara

« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2006, 06:03:48 PM »
you can't skate barefoot. all i need are some tasty waves, cool buzz, and i'm fine.

It's "cool buds", dude.

Edward Penishands

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2006, 06:10:59 PM »
I wonder if Birdo will ever attack Vans for being owned by Lee/Wrangler. I'd love to see the reaction to that... especially since Vans is like a holy brand to so many "purists."

lets be realistic, vans or nike?  cmon now.

LouDiamondPhillips

« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2006, 08:31:45 PM »

I'm not trying to attack you or call you a liar, but how do you know all this? Messageboard information is always slightly suspect, even though I am inclined to believe you......

because ken block's cousin's sisters boyfriend came into taco bell out on palomar while i was on the fryer and i heard him say something about DC/Subaru/pastrana signature driving shoes for Spring 07. so after him and his crew sat down to eat i went over to pretend like i was cleaning tables so i could hear the gossip. word.

Edward Penishands

« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2006, 08:39:05 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

because ken block's cousin's sisters boyfriend came into taco bell out on palomar while i was on the fryer and i heard him say something about DC/Subaru/pastrana signature driving shoes for Spring 07. so after him and his crew sat down to eat i went over to pretend like i was cleaning tables so i could hear the gossip. word.

interesting...............i dont recall taco bell having a fryer, your story just doesnt add up.

thumbhead

• Rep: 14
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2006, 09:57:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's "cool buds", dude.
i think you need to watch it again...it's buzz, though it does sound like it could be 'buds' if you didn't know better. 

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2006, 10:19:20 PM »
sup ma

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2006, 02:16:02 AM »
DO whatever you want. Birdo has a point and Nike does a lot for skateboarding (and other youth activities) in the Pacific Northwest. When you get too critical you will only become jaded. Stay positive, have fun, and skate with your friends. Make educated choices but understand the skateboarding industry is just that an industry. No one is in it to lose money.

Side note I mostly wear Vans solely (pun intended) because of the waffle grip.

obeygiant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2006, 09:46:25 AM »

mikefork

« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2006, 09:47:47 AM »
more with tampa
http://www.theskateboardindustry.com/tsi/article.aspx?ID=173
“For one, we’ll be able to set the purse where we’ve always wanted it to be"

bobjohn

« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2006, 01:39:07 PM »
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/StreetPatrol/NikesGotItsSwooshBack.aspx

Here is an excerpt of "Nike gets its swoosh back" posted on MSN Money:

"Nike said future orders climbed by 6%, far better than the 3% to 4% gain most analysts expected. The jump suggests that consumers still want Nike’s products. (Sales in Asia jumped 13% last quarter.) It also suggests that Nike’s high end performance and sport culture products are holding up better than expected.

The Nike Skate business, which includes sales of shoes for skateboarding, was strong. Wall Street worried that skateboard culture would rebel against the world’s top shoe retailer but the 250% jump in sales showed that plenty of people are open to the brand. That’s very good news for Nike considering the long-term potential of the fragmented market."

I just wonder if guys like Childress or Gino are getting their proportionate compensation for bringing a multinational multibillion-dollar corporation back into black.

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2006, 03:11:11 PM »
i didnt know we were a fragmented market, i mean skateboarding has its highs and lows like anyother, but fragmented is a little harsh.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

Sheep

• Rep: -10
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2006, 04:50:16 PM »
i didnt know we were a fragmented market, i mean skateboarding has its highs and lows like anyother, but fragmented is a little harsh.
I don't know how you can be a member of this MB and have it not be painfully obvious how truly "fragmented" we are as a group. Divide and Conquer as Nike's strategy...except without the divide part: we're already divided. So...just Conquer.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2006, 05:38:32 PM »
i think we've basically come together on the fact that Consolidated blows......so what's the problem? 
hardly art, hardly starving

Bender

• Rep: -6
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2006, 03:44:32 PM »
So I've always been down for Consolidated, but yesterday I went to Sports Chalet and what do I see on the wall but more than a few Consolidated decks? Somewhat hypocritical, I think, especially with the change in direction from "Fuck Nike" to "Support Your Local Skateshop"

Boo.

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2006, 04:29:28 PM »
So I've always been down for Consolidated, but yesterday I went to Sports Chalet and what do I see on the wall but more than a few Consolidated decks? Somewhat hypocritical, I think, especially with the change in direction from "Fuck Nike" to "Support Your Local Skateshop"

Boo.
Too funny.  I can't picture Consolidated decks at Sports Chalet.  Wait... what the hell were you doing at Sports Chalet?  Picking up a new baseball bat?  JK.

jared...

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2006, 05:13:40 PM »
DON'T DO IT!
女の子は女の子とセックスすると、「lezzing out」です。 例えば、トニコクスホクスと友&

Bender

• Rep: -6
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2006, 08:11:57 PM »
Expand Quote

Boo.
[close]
Too funny.  I can't picture Consolidated decks at Sports Chalet.  Wait... what the hell were you doing at Sports Chalet?  Picking up a new baseball bat?  JK.

I had to get a speedo to shower in, because the other guys in the locker room always point, and try to touch my butt after practice. 

I bet that Sports Chalet buys from a distributor, I can't imagine Consolidated dealing with them on a direct basis. 

Jackers

• Rep: 11
  • Thanks GRL
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2006, 10:56:08 PM »
Smells like a smear campaign's smear campaign.
Idle

jared...

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2006, 11:03:42 PM »
nike's are too expensive.
女の子は女の子とセックスすると、「lezzing out」です。 例えば、トニコクスホクスと友&

Hastings

• Rep: 37
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2006, 11:22:58 AM »
DO IT

LouDiamondPhillips

« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2006, 12:29:13 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

interesting...............i dont recall taco bell having a fryer, your story just doesnt add up.

how do you think they make those tasty chalupa shells?

dogman1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2006, 07:42:37 AM »
that dude is just pissed because one of his riders told him i will take nike over your measly ass   check and he didnt like that!!!!!ask chet childress who takes good care of him nike who always puts them in a hotel  and  makes sure they have what they need or enuff money to get it or some small board company who throws them a tent on tour and 5$perdium between 6 riders a day to splitin one tiny mini van.ive skated since i was 12 im 32 now and its time that we make some money or at least a small living off of being pro?anyone agree?other pro athleats make millions why should our team not make a living .the guy that rode for consolidated said one months check from nike beat the whole years salary from mr dont do it!things that make you go hmmm.

Mizzark

« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2006, 09:19:31 AM »
that dude is just pissed because one of his riders told him i will take nike over your measly ass   check and he didnt like that!!!!!ask chet childress who takes good care of him nike who always puts them in a hotel  and  makes sure they have what they need or enuff money to get it or some small board company who throws them a tent on tour and 5$perdium between 6 riders a day to splitin one tiny mini van.ive skated since i was 12 im 32 now and its time that we make some money or at least a small living off of being pro?anyone agree?other pro athleats make millions why should our team not make a living .the guy that rode for consolidated said one months check from nike beat the whole years salary from mr dont do it!things that make you go hmmm.

ghosh maybe it has something to to with nike being a billion dollar corporation