Author Topic: books to read  (Read 435824 times)

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 386
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: books to read
« Reply #3360 on: November 11, 2020, 04:05:21 AM »
As bad as it sounds, "mein kampf" is an interesting read because you get understand little bits and pieces of A.H. thoughts, which in the end influenced a whole lot on this flat earth.

I read about 100 pages of it about 10 years ago.  I'd say maybe my reading comprehension was bad then, but I'll go with the book being utter trash.  His writing style was terrible and it felt like he just kept repeating himself.  2/10, I don't fuck with it, not even to get a glimpse into his twisted mind.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #3361 on: November 11, 2020, 12:22:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Reading this self-help book for gay men to try and get over early life trauma/ shame, but a lot of it is written in such a self-congratulatory way that I'm really struggling to make any progress in it. A lot of it is very relatable but the author writes it as if every gay man is a workaholic fashionista who goes from dinner party to dinner party. Bro I'm broke and out of shape, I just don't wanna hate myself.

[close]

Was it written in the mid-00s?  That’s like peak-that stereotype with Queer Eye, SaTC, and women being like “I need a gay BFF to pick out my outfits”.   I feel like Kimmy Schmitt is one of the rare shows to feature gay people (mostly Mikey) who aren’t Bravo caricatures

Originally published 2005. You called it.

botefdunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #3362 on: November 11, 2020, 07:14:21 PM »
Never read Mein Guy Kampfen, but I did just read Don Delillo White Noise and its main character is the head of a department of Hitler studies. Pretty good book and very prescient in its meditations on tabloid culture.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way
« Reply #3363 on: November 11, 2020, 09:53:04 PM »
Never read Mein Guy Kampfen, but I did just read Don Delillo White Noise and its main character is the head of a department of Hitler studies. Pretty good book and very prescient in its meditations on tabloid culture.

I always felt so bad for Heinrich and Orest.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #3364 on: November 15, 2020, 10:53:17 AM »
I love White Noise. The "airborne toxic event" section feels weirdly relevant too, with Covid going on right now.

I think I'm finally gonna read DeLillo's book Libra, his historical-fiction novel about Lee Harvey Oswald, since the anniversary of the JFK assassination is coming up next week.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #3365 on: November 16, 2020, 10:39:04 AM »
I love White Noise. The "airborne toxic event" section feels weirdly relevant too, with Covid going on right now.

I think I'm finally gonna read DeLillo's book Libra, his historical-fiction novel about Lee Harvey Oswald, since the anniversary of the JFK assassination is coming up next week.

You won't regret it! V good.
I'm still about a month out from doing any free-reading, but I plan to revisit some classic American shit when I finish the semester's work:

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3366 on: November 16, 2020, 07:34:16 PM »
for any french pals or pals who parlee-vu, I'm working on this and its great. I guess it's what you'd call historical fiction, lots of neat old words and worlds, and an acerbic wit (Voltaire is an easy comparison).

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3367 on: November 22, 2020, 02:32:52 PM »
Books to read on the anniversary of the JFK assassination:

Don DeLillo - Libra
https://b-ok.cc/book/1064174/bed905
Only like a quarter of the way through this, really enjoying it so far though.

Lamar Waldron & Thom Hartmann - Legacy of Secrecy
https://b-ok.cc/book/769384/83d83f
Haven't read this yet, but based off reviews it sounds like one of the best non-fiction books on the JFK assassination/conspiracy.

Stephen King - 11.22.63
https://b-ok.cc/book/1180605/a674f6
Probably a couple hundred pages longer than it needed to be, and gets repetitive in parts, but is still one of the best recent Stephen King books. The miniseries on Hulu with James Franco is pretty solid too.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #3368 on: November 22, 2020, 04:29:17 PM »
I’m a huge sucker for high strangeness and the occult so I’m reading The Secret Cypher of the UFOnauts.

Also because I’ve been working in Kentucky and Tennessee a lot lately and I’m trying to see some fucking goblins.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3369 on: November 22, 2020, 08:05:47 PM »
Working my way through this bad boy

It's good, but it's also written entirely in a thick glaswegian accent, so proceed with caution.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #3370 on: November 23, 2020, 09:09:18 PM »

It's good, but it's also written entirely in a thick glaswegian accent, so proceed with caution.
Meant to read this, but never got around to it. Do remember quite liking this one though:

Got a friend who won't shut up about Wyndham Lewis (despite his perhaps bad politics), so I picked up this book of short stories, and plan to pick one or two off before bedtime

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #3371 on: November 24, 2020, 09:53:40 AM »
The great game, by Peter hopkirk.
It's pretty much a text book,, but very well written and gives a interesting history of the "middle east" as far as western occupation goes.
Whoa. Danger.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #3372 on: November 24, 2020, 10:20:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Meant to read this, but never got around to it. Do remember quite liking this one though:

Got a friend who won't shut up about Wyndham Lewis (despite his perhaps bad politics), so I picked up this book of short stories, and plan to pick one or two off before bedtime

i know this encompasses more than just literature, but it's crazy how much creativity and brilliance there is to be found amongst the early modernists, and also how many awful political perspectives and actions. right off of the bat, i always think of F.T.Marinetti and the Italian Futurists, a number of which were thugs for Mussolini at points. also, i was bummed to discover that Louis-Ferdinand Celine was pro-fascism and anti-semitic at points, because Journey to the End of the Night and Death on the Installment Plan are two of my absolute favorite novels. i have no idea how someone could end up espousing those ideals who had previously written this about his experience in WWI:

"I'd never felt so useless as I did amid all those bullets in the sunlight...

...A vast and universal mockery....That colonel, I could see, was a monster. Now I knew it for sure, he was worse than a dog, he couldn't conceive of his own death. At the same time I realized that there must be plenty of brave men like him in our army, and just as many no doubt in the army facing us. How many I wondered. One or two million, say several millions in all? The thought turned my fear to panic. With such people this infernal lunacy could go on for ever...

...Could I, I thought, be the last coward on earth?

How terrifying!...All alone with two million stark raving heroic madmen, armed to the eyeballs?...With and without helmets, without horses, on motorcycles, bellowing, in cars, screeching, shooting, plotting, flying, kneeling, digging, taking cover, bounding over trails, sputtering, shut up on earth as if it were a loony bin, ready to demolish everything on it, Germany, France, whole continents, everything that breathes, destroy, destroy, madder than mad dogs, worshipping their madness (which dogs don’t), a hundred, a thousand times madder than a thousand dogs, and a lot more vicious!

...Men are the thing to be afraid of, always, men and nothing else."

i know this post is long, but i also stopped in to mention that i am once again tussling with John Updike's Rabbit Tetralogy, specifically, Rabbit Redux and Rabbit is Rich (actually, Delillo may be playing a part as well). i'm researching and writing the third chapter of my dissertation, which is looking at how "working-class conservatism" amongst whites is tied to the "local," and how the local is tied to access to the single-family house and lot, and those two novels are my primary texts for this chapter. i know Updike isn't everyone's cup o' tea, but i'm enjoying the reading again...

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3373 on: November 24, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »
It's pretty much a text book,, but very well written and gives a interesting history of the "middle east" as far as western occupation goes.
Cool, thanks for the rec, just downloaded this. Definitely seems extensive, but looks good.

I recently read this book detailing the formation of ISIS, and the factors that contributed to its growth & spread:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Flags:_The_Rise_of_ISIS
and have been wanting to do more reading on similar topics.

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
« Reply #3374 on: November 24, 2020, 10:42:39 AM »
Yall read some sus books

Sluggloaph

« Reply #3375 on: November 24, 2020, 11:14:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Cool, thanks for the rec, just downloaded this. Definitely seems extensive, but looks good.

I recently read this book detailing the formation of ISIS, and the factors that contributed to its growth & spread:

Word. Yeah looks sick. I'm pretty interested in the totality of the situation there. If you ever saw or read charlie wilsons war, there's a lot there. Will def read this jawn...plus this boul went to temple?! Doap. Thanks pal!
Whoa. Danger.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3376 on: November 24, 2020, 06:23:57 PM »
Yall read some sus books

hahaha, what a way to introduce yourself to the thread.

Go ahead and surprise me, love to hear what you are reading? A little R.L. Stine perhaps?

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3377 on: November 24, 2020, 08:45:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Yall read some sus books
[close]

Go ahead and surprise me, love to hear what you are reading? A little R.L. Stine perhaps?
R.L. Stine is a king; I do not appreciate the tone of this post.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3378 on: November 24, 2020, 10:45:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i know this encompasses more than just literature, but it's crazy how much creativity and brilliance there is to be found amongst the early modernists, and also how many awful political perspectives and actions. right off of the bat, i always think of F.T.Marinetti and the Italian Futurists, a number of which were thugs for Mussolini at points. also, i was bummed to discover that Louis-Ferdinand Celine was pro-fascism and anti-semitic at points, because Journey to the End of the Night and Death on the Installment Plan are two of my absolute favorite novels. i have no idea how someone could end up espousing those ideals who had previously written this about his experience in WWI:

"I'd never felt so useless as I did amid all those bullets in the sunlight...

...A vast and universal mockery....That colonel, I could see, was a monster. Now I knew it for sure, he was worse than a dog, he couldn't conceive of his own death. At the same time I realized that there must be plenty of brave men like him in our army, and just as many no doubt in the army facing us. How many I wondered. One or two million, say several millions in all? The thought turned my fear to panic. With such people this infernal lunacy could go on for ever...

...Could I, I thought, be the last coward on earth?

How terrifying!...All alone with two million stark raving heroic madmen, armed to the eyeballs?...With and without helmets, without horses, on motorcycles, bellowing, in cars, screeching, shooting, plotting, flying, kneeling, digging, taking cover, bounding over trails, sputtering, shut up on earth as if it were a loony bin, ready to demolish everything on it, Germany, France, whole continents, everything that breathes, destroy, destroy, madder than mad dogs, worshipping their madness (which dogs don’t), a hundred, a thousand times madder than a thousand dogs, and a lot more vicious!

...Men are the thing to be afraid of, always, men and nothing else."

i know this post is long, but i also stopped in to mention that i am once again tussling with John Updike's Rabbit Tetralogy, specifically, Rabbit Redux and Rabbit is Rich (actually, Delillo may be playing a part as well). i'm researching and writing the third chapter of my dissertation, which is looking at how "working-class conservatism" amongst whites is tied to the "local," and how the local is tied to access to the single-family house and lot, and those two novels are my primary texts for this chapter. i know Updike isn't everyone's cup o' tea, but i'm enjoying the reading again...

It's not 100% fair. Lewis did renounce his far-right views eventually while Marinetti is an interesting case. In an introduction to Marinetti's Critical Writings, either Doug Thompson (translator) or Gunter Berhaus (editor) [I can't remember off the top of my head and my copy isn't with me right now] explains that the Futurists aligned themselves with Italian Fascism / Mussolini when it was still in an odd third position between left and right especially as he wrestled with WW1 and its impacts and the reason was because of Italian Fascism's revolutionary rhetoric. Marinetti and other members personally believed awful things in certain spheres (mostly misogynistic things), but their attraction to Italian Fascism was because they thought it was a revolutionary political perspective that would compel Italy past its Roman roots, forcing it to stop relying on its past for its identity, and into modernity. As the traditional / mythological roots of fascism (Italian and global) took hold, Marinetti was actually a vocal critic of Mussolini up until it became a death sentence to do so. Then, he kissed Mussolini's ass to try to make Futurism the state sanctioned art (to protect himself and his friends) and when it became clear that that would never be the case and in fact, that Futurism was actively subversive to Italian Fascism, he basically shut up so he and his friends wouldn't get killed.

Early 20th century politics and arts, particularly post-WW1, are really interesting because there was so much upheaval that so many artists threw themselves into that a lot ended up on the wrong side of history. While it is important to not just forgive people for being "part of their time," it is important to remember that for many years (in Europe especially), it wasn't clear where a lot of these waves would end up. Obviously, there are people like Hitler who made their genocidal tendencies known early on and those people shouldn't be given leeway. But there are people like Nietzsche whose work was misinterpreted and weaponized by many groups including anti-Semites and the Nazis and it is somewhat important to keep some historical context in place, even if a lot of these people were shitty in other areas.

All this to be said that there's no reason to provide any sympathy or understanding to fascists or the far right today. We already know what they want and where it leads.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #3379 on: November 25, 2020, 11:35:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yall read some sus books
[close]

[close]
R.L. Stine is a king; I do not appreciate the tone of this post.

Arf Arf
Arf Arf Arf

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3380 on: November 29, 2020, 06:39:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Word. Yeah looks sick. I'm pretty interested in the totality of the situation there. If you ever saw or read charlie wilsons war, there's a lot there. Will def read this jawn...plus this boul went to temple?! Doap. Thanks pal!
I'm a Temple alumni too! My dad was a professor there as well, until he retired like a year ago.

Brandon Novak - Dreamseller Book Report:

I read Brandon Novak’s memoir all the way through yesterday. It’s decently short (288 pages), and drug stories are always entertaining, so it was a pretty quick read.

Some of the writing itself is actually better than expected, and he gains some style points for constructing the book in a non-chronological & un-linear format (like Pulp Fiction or something), but overall it's mostly mediocre, and follows a pretty generic and un-insightful addict-to rehab-to sobriety arc. Pretty much just as good (or bad) as you’d expect the autobiography of someone from the CKY videos to be.

Like I said, drug stories are great, but some of Novak's definitely seem like BS. There’s a section in the book where he talks about a period of his life where he was smuggling cash for a heroin dealer, taping $100,000+ to his body and flying across the country, while he was still an underage teenager riding for Powell. The way it's written definitely doesn’t seem credible.

For me, the highlights of the book are the sections where you get to read about some behind the scene details on the filming of CKY3 and Haggard. Unsurprisingly, Brandon was smacked out for all of this.

It was also interesting to get a better understanding of the inter-personal dynamics within the CKY crew. I guess I always assumed that they were all bros, but the way that Novak writes it, he and Ryan Dunn really weren’t close at all, and it often sounds like Dunn actually actively hated him really.

Overall Score: 6.1/10

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1406
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3381 on: November 29, 2020, 12:49:24 PM »
 I was getting into the habit of looking at my screen on the commode and that's no good so over the past month I've been starting the day with something from a stack of non-fiction beside the can.

Writing on the Wall: Selected Prison Writings of Mumia Abu-Jamal
Contains selecting writings from the start of incarceration until 2014. Reading this during the final run up to the most recent US election provided some astute commentary to think on and reminders of the not so distant past.

The Billionaire's Vinegar: The Mystery of the World's Most Expensive Bottle of Wine/b]
this was a bit more light hearted than Mumia, but still showcasing the gross privilege and idiocy of the so-called 1% without providing any such commentary but by highlighting attempts at gaining status.

Gifts of the Crow-How Perception, Emotion, and Thought Allow Smart Birds to Behave Like Humans
I've tried to read this one on 2 other occasions and am just now locking in. So far, it provides really interesting and relatable insight on corvid species.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Sluggloaph

« Reply #3382 on: November 29, 2020, 02:38:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
I'm a Temple alumni too! My dad was a professor there as well, until he retired like a year ago.

Brandon Novak - Dreamseller Book Report:

I read Brandon Novak’s memoir all the way through yesterday. It’s decently short (288 pages), and drug stories are always entertaining, so it was a pretty quick read.

Some of the writing itself is actually better than expected, and he gains some style points for constructing the book in a non-chronological & un-linear format (like Pulp Fiction or something), but overall it's mostly mediocre, and follows a pretty generic and un-insightful addict-to rehab-to sobriety arc. Pretty much just as good (or bad) as you’d expect the autobiography of someone from the CKY videos to be.

Like I said, drug stories are great, but some of Novak's definitely seem like BS. There’s a section in the book where he talks about a period of his life where he was smuggling cash for a heroin dealer, taping $100,000+ to his body and flying across the country, while he was still an underage teenager riding for Powell. The way it's written definitely doesn’t seem credible.

For me, the highlights of the book are the sections where you get to read about some behind the scene details on the filming of CKY3 and Haggard. Unsurprisingly, Brandon was smacked out for all of this.

It was also interesting to get a better understanding of the inter-personal dynamics within the CKY crew. I guess I always assumed that they were all bros, but the way that Novak writes it, he and Ryan Dunn really weren’t close at all, and it often sounds like Dunn actually actively hated him really.

Overall Score: 6.1/10
Oh I didn't go to college. I skated at temple and partied there. That's sick you went an yer da held it down there, what was he a prof of? If you don't mind me asking.
Novak is and has been a piece of work. I'll agree with drug stories being entertaining for sure. But him an dunn  seemed like they thought of the other as that other friend to bam bam. And I've been there with shithead/junkie friends and having reggie friends not be tight with it. Sounds lika a nice pulp-ish read tho.
Also what'd you major in? Again, if you don't mind me asking.
Whoa. Danger.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3383 on: November 30, 2020, 07:19:31 AM »
I was an anthropology major/ english minor, took all of the most useless classes (in terms of getting a job in that field post college). My dad taught business/finance type courses though.

Howard Zinn - A People's History of the United States
https://b-ok.cc/book/873319/cd8701

Possibly the only book approved of by both AJ Soprano, and Dan Drehobl.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1406
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3384 on: November 30, 2020, 09:52:32 AM »
I was an anthropology major/ english minor, took all of the most useless classes (in terms of getting a job in that field post college). My dad taught business/finance type courses though.

good looks on that Zlibrary link. I've got an open source android TTS app that I use for those PDFs. In fact, I did a peoples history for the 2nd time while driving across the states in September. big ups
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1066
« Reply #3385 on: December 01, 2020, 08:45:42 PM »
Talking to my dad on Thanksgiving he just finished a book called White Trash about the history of the underclass in America. It sounds really interesting. Anybody read it? It’s been out about 4 years or so. I am attaching a Google book’s preview in case anyone is interested.

https://books.google.com/books?id=kse3CgAAQBAJ&pg=PR5&source=kp_read_button

Sluggloaph

« Reply #3386 on: December 03, 2020, 11:47:24 AM »

Sick. My girl majored in anthro and minored in russian. Zinns good stuff, and if ol corpsey backs it so much the better.
Whoa. Danger.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #3387 on: December 03, 2020, 11:54:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Sick. My girl majored in anthro and minored in russian. Zinns good stuff, and if ol corpsey backs it so much the better.

What did Good Will Hunting say about it when he wrecked that Harvard guys shit?

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3388 on: December 04, 2020, 06:29:32 AM »
Something about apples? "What are your feelings about apples?!" is the line, I think
I kinda hate that movie actually, only watched it once cause Elliott Smith was on the soundtrack

I've been feeling bad for myself lately, so I'm rereading The Indifferent Stars Above (a book about the Donner party), to remind myself of how awful life can truly be. Like, yeah it sucks the girl I like got a boyfriend, but at least I'm not eating my dad's boiled bones or something.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #3389 on: December 12, 2020, 11:52:19 AM »
First post in this thread, didn’t know about it so kinda stoked.

I just finished 10:04 by Ben Lerner, I liked it although it was strange changing the narration back/forth. I’ve read leaving the atocha station which I really liked. Thinking of picking up Topeka School. Anyone read Lerner? What’s your take?

Just got Walker Ryan’s book Top of Mason and gonna give it a read today.

I’m looking for more novel suggestions, I was into Michael Connelly and Lee Child but want a change. I’m so bad at explaining what I like to read but anything with an interesting story and isn’t crazy “deep” or intellectual that the real meaning goes over my head. Open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.