Author Topic: What's your DIY hobby outside of skateboarding?  (Read 3868 times)

coneklr

Re: What's your DIY hobby outside of skateboarding?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 11:58:07 AM »
Minty, where do you live?  Check out these guys ... I've wanted to go to one of their courses for a bit now but haven't had the time ...

https://www.instagram.com/hardgoodsco/

straight

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2016, 12:13:25 PM »
Yo minty aren't you in PHX? If so I have s spot you need to use your skills

MintySandwhich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2016, 01:12:24 PM »

Minty, where do you live?  Check out these guys ... I've wanted to go to one of their courses for a bit now but haven't had the time ...
https://www.instagram.com/hardgoodsco/

Yeah, that looks rad, I'll have to try and sign up one of these days

Yo minty aren't you in PHX? If so I have s spot you need to use your skills

Yeah! I wouldn't say I'm the best at DIY'ing though, wouldn't want to let anyone down lol

Frosty178

• Rep: 6
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2016, 02:09:09 PM »
I like restoring antique furniture. Mostly pine. I keep original paint where I can.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2016, 07:14:59 PM »
I build modular synthesizers. My most recent was the TTSH, which is an ARP 2600 clone.

whoa, how long did it take you? 

i wanted to learn to solder just to build this, but then reality set in.  wouldn't mind building some DIY stuff, but i need to start really small.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 09:50:56 PM »
Awesome thread! I'm a huge diy fan with wayyy too many projects. I would love to see pictures of other posters projects!

I love working on vintage guitars (mostly basses), modifying instruments, making instruments and amplifiers, and diy photography equipment, like modifying old flashes, diy lighting, macro rails, etc.

Here's the last amp I made. I wanted something better than a pignose for outdoor jams. Wanted it to be full featured with different tone options, loud, and work on a 9v battery. Also wanted it to be able to open my beers.

Here's an acoustic bass I made from the body of an old eko guitar:

I'm a huge Jefferson Airplane fan and Jack Casady is my favorite bass player ever. Here's one of my latest projects, inspired by Jack Casady's Guild Starfire bass that he used in the late 60's with Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna.

PC500

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2016, 11:23:56 PM »
Awesome thread! I'm a huge diy fan with wayyy too many projects. I would love to see pictures of other posters projects!

I love working on vintage guitars (mostly basses), modifying instruments, making instruments and amplifiers, and diy photography equipment, like modifying old flashes, diy lighting, macro rails, etc.

Here's the last amp I made. I wanted something better than a pignose for outdoor jams. Wanted it to be full featured with different tone options, loud, and work on a 9v battery. Also wanted it to be able to open my beers.

This is fucking cool. Would love to have a crack at something like this.

zephyrpatio

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 09:25:20 AM »
Expand Quote
I build modular synthesizers. My most recent was the TTSH, which is an ARP 2600 clone.
[close]

whoa, how long did it take you? 

i wanted to learn to solder just to build this, but then reality set in.  wouldn't mind building some DIY stuff, but i need to start really small.

It's actually going into a year now - I have it fully completed except for the ring mod, which I'm going to debug this weekend. I usually only work on it for about 2-3 hours a week on top of around 50 hrs / week of work. I went into it having a lot of experience building smaller modular synths, but with this, it was a whole other level, especially the first time through. One suggestion I would make - do lots of other projects first, learn how to read schematics, and learn how to test diodes/transistors/resistors with a multimeter.

My insta is @crsynths if you wanted to take a look at some of my work. If you have any questions about starting out/diy stuff feel free to PM me.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i agree. great job winecarb. you should do a demo video to show what it sounds like.

PC500

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 10:12:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i agree. great job winecarb. you should do a demo video to show what it sounds like.

Great idea. Demo video please. Preferably shredding Purple Rain just to tie it all together.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 10:28:59 AM »
Thanks, I'll post a demo when I get a chance.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2016, 02:26:36 PM »
Hey Winecrab, what's up with that massive PCB attached to your Jack Casady bass? Built in effects rig?

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2016, 06:19:34 PM »
Music and making a bunch of crap art and crafts

https://www.instagram.com/glitch.fungus/
even the steven

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »
I smoke weed

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever

Rayduil

• Rep: -2
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2022, 11:54:23 AM »
I paint. Whether it is actual painting or clothes or vases, I love to paint. I know it might sound strange, but I do it the best while I'm camping. My parents and I go camping at least once a month. We already have a list of spots inspired by the reviews on https://www.brightcamping.com. We try to visit as many as the time allows us. During quarantine, it was impossible to camp. It was a rough time for me since being in the middle of nature makes me happy and wild. My imagination has no limits while I'm there.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2022, 12:31:31 PM »
Cooking and baking, I make a pretty decent Focaccia bread.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2022, 06:25:42 PM »
dirtbikes

I always wanted an early 80's RM125...  i found one for 2000 yen at a junk shop (it was/is junk) so I bought it.... (maybe not the best decision ever.... but it had lots of usable parts worth more than what I paid so that is how I justified my purchase)

I spent the last year finding lots of NOS parts to complete the engine, which I finally got done last week (i know it is supposed to be burnt bronze... but its my bike and I think the 84 colour... gloss black... looks better)

I got another parts bike last week so I complete the rest of it (i am going to aim for sooner rather than later to get this done... but I have another bike to finish first so we will see

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2022, 11:41:12 PM »
In 2010 I tried to build a shack for my wife‘s guinea pigs. It became a shabby death trap with nails protruding  and the wife refused to let the guinea pigs use it. That‘s my DIY curriculum.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2022, 06:49:33 PM »
I make custom bikes/parts and build cars when time allows.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2022, 07:58:12 PM »
I build tube amp’s, tiny computers,  make chip tune sids.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1425
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2022, 08:12:12 PM »
the past 6 months I've been learning all about 1.9 L Volkswagen water boxer engines. Repairing and keeping up with a 36year old engine that came with unknown mileage and no repair history is not for the faint of heart. ha ha ha ha

all I do in the spare time is skate and mess with the van
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2022, 08:00:57 AM »
dirtbikes

I always wanted an early 80's RM125...  i found one for 2000 yen at a junk shop (it was/is junk) so I bought it.... (maybe not the best decision ever.... but it had lots of usable parts worth more than what I paid so that is how I justified my purchase)

I spent the last year finding lots of NOS parts to complete the engine, which I finally got done last week (i know it is supposed to be burnt bronze... but its my bike and I think the 84 colour... gloss black... looks better)

I got another parts bike last week so I complete the rest of it (i am going to aim for sooner rather than later to get this done... but I have another bike to finish first so we will see

Nice rebuild! Agreed that black looks better.

Dirt bikes is also my other hobby. I do my engine work myself but sadly I don't put a lot of effort into keeping things pretty b/c I am quite hard on my bikes and they don't stay nice very long.

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2022, 07:22:54 PM »
Fly tying (many of which go to friends) and I started trying out woodblock prints which I thought was going to be easy but my first two have been really basic with a steep learning curve (the negative space idea was messing with my head).
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Banned from the room

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2022, 09:31:36 AM »

Here's an acoustic bass I made from the body of an old eko guitar:

I'm a huge Jefferson Airplane fan and Jack Casady is my favorite bass player ever. Here's one of my latest projects, inspired by Jack Casady's Guild Starfire bass that he used in the late 60's with Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna.

Beautiful bass.

I think I’ve seen you playing online before? Do you play zeppelin?