Author Topic: Edmonton/Calgary  (Read 3282 times)

cant stop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • It's all about tricks.
Edmonton/Calgary
« on: October 16, 2016, 03:51:14 AM »
Im from Sweden, but would like to take a year off and move to Edmonton. Calgary will do to.

Any tips and tricks?
You know what sucks? I always rip my pants when Im having a good time! - The Gonz

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Edmonton/Calgary
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 09:59:32 AM »
edmonton has something like 9 parks within the city limits, its a pretty spread out city and i'm less familiar with the transit system. but i feel like driving is a must.

i've lived in calgary my whole life, good scene for skating. big central park downtown, good downtown skating. we've had 5 newer parks built within the last 3 years, most are transit friendly. still a big-ish city but trying to find a place downtown would be ideal.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 05:58:39 PM »
Since you're making the trek to Canada to live in the first place I have to ask, what is it about Edmonton and/or Calgary that's drawing you in?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 06:37:06 PM »
Both different scenes, prefer Calgary.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 05:28:22 PM »
Definitely would choose calgary over edmonton. I live about 2 hours south of cowtown, its a nice place to skate!

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 11:16:05 PM »
In Calgary you have the ultra tacky stampede every year, in Edmonton you have -40c every year. No brainer.

Why Calgary or Edmonton? Why not Montreal or Vancouver?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 12:03:35 AM »
In Calgary you have the ultra tacky stampede every year, in Edmonton you have -40c every year. No brainer.

Why Calgary or Edmonton? Why not Montreal or Vancouver?
edmonton has klondike days, a half-assed ultra tacky attempt at stampede.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 08:10:05 PM »
When I think of Calgary I think of that recent infamous sextape from the Stampede and it turns me off the whole city. Obviously three people don't represent a whole city, just something about the tape creeped me out. I think it's akin to the Kentucky Derby and how I hate all these hedonistic bullshit gatherings where people lie even more boldly than usual.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 735
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 11:50:22 AM »
Calgary, great street skating.

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 11:30:55 PM »
When I think of Calgary I think of that recent infamous sextape from the Stampede and it turns me off the whole city. Obviously three people don't represent a whole city, just something about the tape creeped me out. I think it's akin to the Kentucky Derby and how I hate all these hedonistic bullshit gatherings where people lie even more boldly than usual.

lol ur creeped out by a threesome.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 04:23:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

lol ur creeped out by a threesome.
Yeah, I know how it sounds. I'm not creeped out by threesomes in general. I'm sure Calgary is a great city, I've bussed through it and could immediately tell it's great for skating.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 04:26:52 AM by Adam Abbas »

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2024, 11:46:29 AM »
Anyone been to Calgary recently?

I'm out here for a bit. So far I'm surprised at how many decent skateparks are out here, but looking for any recommendations on spots, parks, and food.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2024, 04:52:16 PM »
i live here.
yorkville is our newest park but its super far south. southwood and huntington are two of my favorites, when its raining/snowing the compound is our only indoor.
what kind of food do you like? and what kind of spots?
ive lived here for 37 years, but not claiming i know everything about here.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2024, 08:43:15 PM »
Visited Yorkville and Southwood. They're pretty fun. Southwood was a little more challenging than I expected. The pyramid is pretty gnarly with the fake brick, which was an interesting choice.

Huntington looks awesome. I can't wait to try it out.

Okotoks was horrible. Seton was fun for a little neighborhood park. Mid-Sun is alright. It'd be an amazing little neighborhood if the Euro and pyramid hip was better designed.

So far my favorite park in eastern BC/Alberta has been the new Fernie, BC park. It is so so so fun. Sparwood, BC park is decent too. Lundbreck is almost alright for a tiny prop park in the middle of nowhere.

As for food, anything you think is worth trying. I hit up Class Clown the other night. They make a pretty good burger. I did Damascus tonight and holy shit it was amazing.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: Today at 11:25:05 AM »
sadly southwood shows its signs of being the second park built in the last 24 years.
millenium was built in 99, then we didn't have any new parks until 2015.

it went cke (almost the perfect small park), then southwood and huntington. all three were designed by a skatepark company, but built by general construction companies. the city has weird dealings on how the bids go out to the companies who could build couldn't be involved in the the design process.

then we got the second round of newer ones, midnapore/midsun (too small), new brighton (big but crammed), then genesis and rocky ridge which are both kind of bland. some communites are starting to build their own, bowness and carrington.

for food, shiki menya is great ramen, ship and anchor is great pub food and people watching.

hit me up and i can reccomend more.