Author Topic: bikes  (Read 308455 times)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
Re: bikes
« Reply #1800 on: October 01, 2020, 07:12:57 PM »
I just received 2 knock-off Rapha jerseys that I ordered off of wish.com as an experiment - they're great! At 12 dollars a piece, they fit fine enough. A little loose in the sleeves but they feel (and more or less fit) like some other higher end jerseys that I own from Craft or Sportful. Just throwing this out here for those who don't feel like spending an absurd amount of money of a one-dimensional clothing item.

I just scooped some castelli thermal bib shorts, pear izumi thermal bib pants and pearl izumi thermal long sleeve jersey for the winter at Sierra trading. It wasn’t quite as cheap as as what you paid but it was still damn cheap.

Also intrigued by the RaphaXPalace but only if they remove the other branding.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Fongstarr.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1801 on: October 01, 2020, 08:40:51 PM »
I need a bottle cage upgrade, been looking at xlab gorilla range only because I run the bottle triathlon style behind the saddle and my current cage just keeps dropping bottles

I just got one and it’s solid as hell. It’s not the most expensive single bottle but the one below it. It kind of amazes me how much it is for something to just hold a water bottle but I didn’t have a lot of options on my single speed.

And that Rapha collab is nuts. Is it dumb to wear that and not have a Canondale bike? Or do people not really give a shit about that?
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1802 on: October 01, 2020, 10:18:09 PM »
Good info Fongstarr appreciate it, its not the cost that’s worrying me, I’ve replaced more than a few lost bottles in the last 6 months.

I’ve got some eBay credit I may just splash out

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #1803 on: October 01, 2020, 10:51:18 PM »

image1 by LivingMinimal, on Flickr

So jealous of that Stinner. Having spent a large chunk of my life living in Santa Barbara, it’s always been on the dream bike list. Great quiver of bikes all around.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1804 on: October 02, 2020, 05:32:21 AM »
How do you like the SB130?  I am looking at the ARC but can't decide if I should keep my dually for the mountains and have a hardtail for where I live or just have one all around bike that I ride everywhere.  I have a Transition Smuggler now that has been really good for both places but I do like the idea of two bikes.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #1805 on: October 02, 2020, 05:49:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So jealous of that Stinner. Having spent a large chunk of my life living in Santa Barbara, it’s always been on the dream bike list. Great quiver of bikes all around.

Thanks. It's actually my fourth. Ive had two road bikes break, and one that I sold. They're good bikes, when they done break at the BB junction.
ok thanks

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1806 on: October 02, 2020, 10:49:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Picked up a Surly Steamroller the other day on FB marketplace. Been looking to get my hands on one for a while. It rides so smooth.  :D
[close]

Yeah yeah, post a pic of your set up. The Steamroller is my daily ride. I've been commuting on one since 2006. Its been a high-geared skinny tire, brakeless fixed but is currently a lower-geared two-braked single speed with knobby 33s and wide riser bars. Love it.

Here's my steamroller. I got it for a great price on facebook mp. I think it's either from 2000 or 2001. I've been meaning to get a lockring so I can go fixed on it, but I must admit the single speed is nice for beer runs and what not. 

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
« Reply #1807 on: October 02, 2020, 12:29:01 PM »
Not sure if there are other Tom Segura Fans on here but when I see this thread title I always hear it in a specific voice.

Da fuck you took?!?

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Kel Varnsen

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1808 on: October 02, 2020, 10:44:08 PM »
Any recommendations for indoor trainers (rollers v magnetic v fluid)? Trying to plan ahead for winter months when it snows.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #1809 on: October 03, 2020, 05:24:56 AM »
How do you like the SB130?  I am looking at the ARC but can't decide if I should keep my dually for the mountains and have a hardtail for where I live or just have one all around bike that I ride everywhere.  I have a Transition Smuggler now that has been really good for both places but I do like the idea of two bikes.

I think the hard thing about MTB is the setups are as insane and can drive OCD and idiosyncrasies the way skateboards can. I swear shock clearance and wheel base are brothers from a different mother. It's all so dependent on the kind of riding you want to do.

I like to go fast down hills, but I am not a DH rider and I am not interested in drops etc. I am fairly cautious, as I am 44 with kids at home and I wanna go to work the next day in one piece (not to mention surf/snow/skate) I only went to the bike park once this summer. At heart, I am an XC style rider. I want to throttle myself on climbs, tech single track, and grindy double track. The SB130 made a lot of sense to me based where I live - there are a TON of trails here that have a combination of both, great climbing and fantastic trail/DH stuff in California, but we dont have that colorado or east coast style XC riding and for a lot of our terrain, a gravel bike would be stupid/suicide. I am not a fan of underbiking. The shop talked me out of the SB110 (a year ago that was the other option, the 115 hadnt dropped yet) and I am so glad they did.

So the SB130 brings a really good balance. It climbs great, descends and handles SUPER good with this modern geo. It's just so so so fun. I personally would not get a hard tail again. While I love XC, I dont plan to race, and I have not found a situation climbing on the SB130 where I was kicking myself for loss of climbing efficiency. Im gonna go knock out an hour this morning on an XC course that is about 11 miles and 1,000 feet of climbing on a rocky fire road and this thing will man handle it and make it a joy.
ok thanks

dunc

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1810 on: October 05, 2020, 12:15:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
edit: also weird question but any recs for good cycling content on instagram, etc.?
[close]

Look up Terry Barensten

Don’t know if it’s spelt that way
[close]

That’s a good one. I also enjoy Dustin Klein’s channel, he’s more in the woods on trails. Depends on what kinda riding you like.

I like this guys vids. The Path Less Pedaled. Seems to know his stuff rather well and pushes the relaxed cycling vibes.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1811 on: October 05, 2020, 06:32:22 AM »
Palace went crazy on the Rapha collab. A lot of pieces I didn’t expect.

https://hypebeast.com/2020/10/palace-rapha-collaboration-giro-d-italia-release-details
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1812 on: October 05, 2020, 06:37:04 AM »

https://hypebeast.com/2020/10/palace-rapha-collaboration-giro-d-italia-release-details

Not that I need more gear but I might try and grab a jersey and bib if they come in non rider graphics.

Skateboarding has ruined me for mixing brands.
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1813 on: October 05, 2020, 07:44:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
edit: also weird question but any recs for good cycling content on instagram, etc.?
[close]

Look up Terry Barensten

[close]

That’s a good one. I also enjoy Dustin Klein’s channel, he’s more in the woods on trails. Depends on what kinda riding you like.
[close]

I like this guys vids. The Path Less Pedaled. Seems to know his stuff rather well and pushes the relaxed cycling vibes.

Tbh I don't really understand the gravel bike thing. It seems to me that there is not much a bike like that can do that a XC hardtail couldn't do, and there's a whole lot that would be nicer on the mountain bike. Is it just about weight savings? Bike does look sick though.

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #1814 on: October 05, 2020, 09:27:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks. It's actually my fourth. Ive had two road bikes break, and one that I sold. They're good bikes, when they done break at the BB junction.

sup with the Pegoretti?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1815 on: October 05, 2020, 09:46:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not that I need more gear but I might try and grab a jersey and bib if they come in non rider graphics.

I obviously don't know jack about Rapha but I looked up any Gortex jackets and the one they had which seemed a little mellow was $395. So that means the one Palace is selling is like $500? Fuck that.

I might just gun for the shirt which I am sure will be hard as hell to get. This jersey isn't that bad though considering their are less logos on it.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1816 on: October 05, 2020, 09:49:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Picked up a Surly Steamroller the other day on FB marketplace. Been looking to get my hands on one for a while. It rides so smooth.  :D
[close]

Yeah yeah, post a pic of your set up. The Steamroller is my daily ride. I've been commuting on one since 2006. Its been a high-geared skinny tire, brakeless fixed but is currently a lower-geared two-braked single speed with knobby 33s and wide riser bars. Love it.
[close]

Here's my steamroller. I got it for a great price on facebook mp. I think it's either from 2000 or 2001. I've been meaning to get a lockring so I can go fixed on it, but I must admit the single speed is nice for beer runs and what not. 

Classic poo brown. I have the same one. You can do a lot with that frame. Have fun.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1817 on: October 05, 2020, 12:43:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I obviously don't know jack about Rapha but I looked up any Gortex jackets and the one they had which seemed a little mellow was $395. So that means the one Palace is selling is like $500? Fuck that.

I might just gun for the shirt which I am sure will be hard as hell to get. This jersey isn't that bad though considering their are less logos on it.

I like that one, hope they have a bib with out the other logos. Honestly I need to buy more winter gear and don't need this at all but we'll see.

Palace has a Gore-Tex parka (not part of the collab) on their site for $628

Sidebar:

Rapha is dumb expensive. Palace is dumb expensive. Bike gear in general is dumb expensive. I have some $40 The Black Bibs, I have some $200+ Castelli. They are both really similar, the Castelli are for sure more comfortable and can definitely keep me on the saddle longer, but worth $160-200 more? Hard to say, I also have some $100 Cadence Collection bibs and I would put those against the $200+ Castelli all day. Once you find a chamois that works stick with it, just might be expensive to get to that point.

dunc

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1818 on: October 05, 2020, 03:33:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Look up Terry Barensten

[close]

[close]

[close]

Tbh I don't really understand the gravel bike thing. It seems to me that there is not much a bike like that can do that a XC hardtail couldn't do, and there's a whole lot that would be nicer on the mountain bike. Is it just about weight savings? Bike does look sick though.

Yeah you are right. I feel with the gravel bike you get a very versatile bike that can be made into anything. Lots of room for frame bags, good position for on road and fast on hill climbs. Lots of fun taking it to its limit and being fully aware of the terrain around you. Some modern mountain bikes just blitz over stuff a little too easily. There is a heap of cross over in this area and I think the bike industry reinvents the wheel (pun alert) to make cash. They can take my cash when I have some!
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

Bizarro Jerry

« Reply #1819 on: October 06, 2020, 05:47:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Classic poo brown. I have the same one. You can do a lot with that frame. Have fun.

Yeah I love the color on this, goes well with my contrasting lilac purple state. Ideally I want to throw on some gravel kings and get some bullmoose bars and make it like a gravel-y alley smasher.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #1820 on: October 07, 2020, 12:34:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

you don't ever really get new Gore-Tex jackets for cheap. raphas Gore-Tex products aren't overpriced compared to other Gore-Tex users. it's expensive fabric and follows strict guidelines for production.
worth it? sometimes...

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #1821 on: October 07, 2020, 02:46:46 AM »
Finally, after months of waiting for all parts to arrive I have my new commuter. Surly Straggler in the 650b version, sram rival x11, and the biggest tires I’ve ever ridden. Very happy with that one.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1822 on: October 07, 2020, 02:50:08 AM »
^

awesome :)

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1823 on: October 07, 2020, 04:05:17 AM »
Finally, after months of waiting for all parts to arrive I have my new commuter. Surly Straggler in the 650b version, sram rival x11, and the biggest tires I’ve ever ridden. Very happy with that one.

that thing is a tank, looks awesome, did you build it yourself or buy the parts and have it built by a shop/builder?

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1824 on: October 07, 2020, 05:17:15 AM »
The shop did everything. I sat down with the guys and we made a list together of all the parts that were needed. They do builds like these every week and nerd out about this stuff, so it's way better then I could ever do. I read about bike parts a lot, but it would probably end up like a polar deck, mob grip, formula 4 spitfires with swiss bones and kreper trucks put on backwards.

Bizarro Jerry

« Reply #1825 on: October 07, 2020, 07:31:21 AM »
wow, that straggler is beautiful! Lemme know how you like those bullmoose bars, I'm about to pull the trigger on some for my steamroller.

garthblader

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1826 on: October 07, 2020, 07:55:12 AM »
If thats a Brooks Saddle prepare to buy several pairs of jeans in short order.  My messenger friends here in Denver that use the Vegan Brooks go through pants like nothing.  Super sick build though! Surly bikes are so rad.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1827 on: October 07, 2020, 08:35:43 AM »
I would like the same setup but with drop bars. Nothing wrong with your setup, just personal preference.
Those surlys are tough as nails.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1828 on: October 07, 2020, 08:53:36 AM »
so nice Matze! i`m on team drop bars as well, but yeah, its preference. i hardly ever ride in the drops on my commuter, but i kinda prefer it visually.
still jealous of that build.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1829 on: October 07, 2020, 10:28:44 AM »
Thank’s guys, really appreciate your appreciation!

About the vegan brooks saddle ... it’s temporary. They put one on to let me try it for two weeks, afterwards I can chose if I like it. I really want to like it but the leather version is more comfy for my ass. I use my current one since 8 years and it’s still working perfectly for my ass. Good point with pants, that might save some money and awkward situations at work.

I really thought about drop bars but with the inner city traffic it’s dangerous - or better: not many people can handle it very well. The nitto bar looks great in my opinion and will be better for my back.