Author Topic: How can I rip a DVD (vcd) onto my computer.  (Read 487 times)

beeda weeda

How can I rip a DVD (vcd) onto my computer.
« on: April 02, 2008, 06:29:21 AM »
My roomate just moved out, and while I was cleaning the house, I found a dvd with about 10 mins of raw footage that I had filmed in 2005. THe problem is, I am not so smart when it comes to computers.
-How do I rip this dvd to my hard drive?
- What types of software are required to do so?
-How can I do this for as cheap as possible?

Thank you very much for you help, I'll be stoked if I can get this shit ripped and post the video so you guys can tear me apart.
Beeda Weeda

(Doug Brown has a personal editor and filmer, Beeda bro cam'd one summer)

beeda weeda

Re: How can I rip a DVD (vcd) onto my computer.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 06:30:17 AM »
sorry for posting this in whatever, but nobody goes in the help section

The Bullet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 06:47:39 AM »
Well, here's what i do.  I do it on a Mac, so if you have a PC, sorry, but some of it apply's to both.

Ok, to straight rip if off the dvd, I use this program called HANDBRAKE, I think i got it off a torrent site, it wasn't hard to find.  It basically turns the whole video into one file.  You have pretty good control of the  size and compression and all that, but some if it might take some trial and error.

But if you want to log the footage so that you can edit it, like log it clip by clip, then what i do is hook my DVD player up to my video camera through the RCA cable, and then hook the camera up to the computer through firewire.  If you are using Final Cut Pro, then when you log the footage you have to make sure that it is set to 'non controlled device' or something like that.  I dunno, if you have PC, then I'm sure Adobe Premiere could probably do it as well.

The way i heard about HANDBRAKE was at Yahoo Answers.  I'm sure if you asked for PC help someone would give you some better advice then what I'm giving you.

beeda weeda

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 06:54:29 AM »
thaks man, b ut problem is, I have a pc
I really wanted to send this disc in so I could be in the pals video, but I could never find it, then I realized the stupid bitch had it mixed up with her grey's anotomy burnt dvd's, stupid bitch.

The Bullet

• SLAP Pal

beeda weeda

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 08:46:52 AM »
fuck, I have to buy shit.

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 10:03:39 AM »

You can get around buying anything through torrents usually.  There are a bunch of dvd rippers that you can download, but it wont be great quality.  I would suggest looking for good dvd ripping programs and download their free trial(if they have one), rip the dvd and you're set.

The Bullet

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 12:03:37 PM »
where did you find that picture??

beeda weeda

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You can get around buying anything through torrents usually.  There are a bunch of dvd rippers that you can download, but it wont be great quality.  I would suggest looking for good dvd ripping programs and download their free trial(if they have one), rip the dvd and you're set.
Thanks Nick, I will give that a try tonight, after wrok. I did download one last night, but when I saw it was a trial, I didn't give it a go. Maybe I'll buy the software and take it back when I am done with it.

BriDen

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 07:38:40 PM »
http://elliottback.com/wp/archives/2005/12/26/how-to-rip-a-dvd-a-tutorial/
That's a tutorial and has links to the software (free and full length) that you will need. It's what I use, and you can pick the quality/size of the file, so it can be perfect dvd quality if you want.

beeda weeda

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 07:51:20 PM »
http://elliottback.com/wp/archives/2005/12/26/how-to-rip-a-dvd-a-tutorial/
That's a tutorial and has links to the software (free and full length) that you will need. It's what I use, and you can pick the quality/size of the file, so it can be perfect dvd quality if you want.
thank you sir, I wil work on this, and try and get some footage post asap.