Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 211004 times)

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2022, 05:20:07 PM »
Expand Quote
How would you measure the radius of an existing ramp to copy it?
[close]

It depends how big it is, but for now let's say it is NOT over head height, which makes everything a whole lot easier.

Most ramps will have a set radius between 6 to 9 feet depending on how big they are, eg my small ramp is quite tight at about 5 ft radius, cut off at 2 ft, but the main half pipe everyone loves to skate is 8 ft radius cut off about 6 feet. in height.

Smaller ramps I have used something like a cardboard box from a fridge to hold beside to trace the side of the transition, but a sheet of ply would also be good to take a radius line on.

Other ramps I have used a measuring tape and marked out a scale drawing on paper, taking measurements at 10 or 20 cm intervals along the base and then tracing out the transition, to then work out the radius.

The most common way to get a good transition is have a fixed point, run a string line or solid piece of something from that point and mark out on the pieces of wood which you then cut and use as a template for all other transitions.

Sorry if you already knew all that.

If it is some ramp or bowl that you cannot easily measure the side radius, measure the depth / height of the thing from flat to coping, then from the eye level of coping, measure from the start of the flat to the coping, which should give you a rough guide and try mapping that out with rough radius lengths.

I have made quite a few ramps over the years, but a lot were a little too tight and a couple too mellow, so getting the transition exactly right is key to having something that works.

imagehost

I’ve done the plywood method for mine. Wanted the steep 1/4 from our local and the barrier from our other.

@Mbrimson88 that little one a 2’er? Looks like my old shop 1/4 before I recut it to a 4’ radius.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2022, 07:31:58 PM »
Expand Quote
As usual, Mbrimson88's post is excellent.  Don't forget to allow for ply layers if you're trying to match the existing ramp exactly.
[close]

Yeah, sometimes I read back over it and think, I might have made that a bit more confusing than it should be.

Also good point on the ply layers.  Most of mine are minimum of 3 layers of 7 mm ply (21+ mm thickness) but I know some bigger / more mellow ramps use three layers of even thicker stuff, so it can end up with almost 30mm surface thickness.

Thin surface layers flex more easily to shape to the transition but the last thing you want is to have someone go through it, but that is another thing entirely.
plz gnar @Mbrinson88 for me

Here’s my shiddy micro ramp. 13” tall x 36 chambers wide x 42.0” radius transition, surface is 2 layers of 1/4” plywood, 1” PVC coping should last about 69 tail slaps, made from scraps and the shottiest lumber at the reclaimed building material center. 38.88 lbs and goes up and down stairs easily one handed. Hyped

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2022, 07:43:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
As usual, Mbrimson88's post is excellent.  Don't forget to allow for ply layers if you're trying to match the existing ramp exactly.
[close]

Yeah, sometimes I read back over it and think, I might have made that a bit more confusing than it should be.

Also good point on the ply layers.  Most of mine are minimum of 3 layers of 7 mm ply (21+ mm thickness) but I know some bigger / more mellow ramps use three layers of even thicker stuff, so it can end up with almost 30mm surface thickness.

Thin surface layers flex more easily to shape to the transition but the last thing you want is to have someone go through it, but that is another thing entirely.
[close]
plz gnar @Mbrinson88 for me

Here’s my shiddy micro ramp. 13” tall x 36 chambers wide x 42.0” radius transition, surface is 2 layers of 1/4” plywood, 1” PVC coping should last about 69 tail slaps, made from scraps and the shottiest lumber at the reclaimed building material center. 38.88 lbs and goes up and down stairs easily one handed. Hyped

very sick, i had forgotten about hitting a reclaimed material place for stuff so thanks for that

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2022, 10:35:34 PM »
late, but slappys help break in bushings for me
hasnt failed me yet
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

kelbywest

• Rep: 0
« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2022, 05:20:43 AM »
Anyone know of any US stockists for Jenny Skateboard? I dig some of their shit but I've only found Canada websites selling their gear.

biaherl

• Rep: 268
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2022, 02:10:37 PM »
Anyone know of any US stockists for Jenny Skateboard? I dig some of their shit but I've only found Canada websites selling their gear.

Blue Tile ships to 'merica

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2022, 02:18:35 PM »
pros and cons of square tails, always wondered beyond "more foot space" and the "contact points are different" or something like that?

user18081971

« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2022, 04:11:00 PM »
Cons: heavier, maybe less power in the pop since it’s dispersed over a larger surface area?
Pros: more consistent pop maybe? Probably more leverage for flips since more material hangs over the trucks. For certain weird tricks like a tail block or rocket air, I would guess would be a lot easier. Impossibles feel easier personally.
These are probably extremely marginal, I’ve only skated one square shape deck, skated better than normal on it but I prefer the look of something super tapered.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2022, 07:34:37 PM »

@Mbrimson88 that little one a 2’er? Looks like my old shop 1/4 before I recut it to a 4’ radius.

Yes it is about that now.

It started out as a direct copy of an amazing little ramp that was built for a special show, which was taller and way steeper (even more so than the cardboard cutout I had as a template behind the ply piece, but for the space I had it in, I realised I needed it a bit lower, then when I moved I recut the transition to be a little more mellow too.

Funny how more than ten years ago I was skating much steeper things and wanted a challenge, but now I wanted a more mellow cruisy type of half pipe, which works so well in the equivalent of a two car garage space - 6 x 6 m square.

Anything I made has to at least be steep enough that I can do rock to smith combos, otherwise I am not really that keen, eg some beginner ramps are almost banks with coping on them, which are fun for a minute, but not long term for me.

I made additional taller parts to go on either side when I moved too, so it is built to squeeze nicely into that area, more so than anything else.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2022, 08:22:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It started out as a direct copy of an amazing little ramp that was built for a special show, which was taller and way steeper (even more so than the cardboard cutout I had as a template behind the ply piece, but for the space I had it in, I realised I needed it a bit lower, then when I moved I recut the transition to be a little more mellow too.

Funny how more than ten years ago I was skating much steeper things and wanted a challenge, but now I wanted a more mellow cruisy type of half pipe, which works so well in the equivalent of a two car garage space - 6 x 6 m square.

Anything I made has to at least be steep enough that I can do rock to smith combos, otherwise I am not really that keen, eg some beginner ramps are almost banks with coping on them, which are fun for a minute, but not long term for me.

I made additional taller parts to go on either side when I moved too, so it is built to squeeze nicely into that area, more so than anything else.

That looks like so much fucking fun

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2022, 03:34:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That looks like so much fucking fun

Yes it really is such a fun ramp - the culmination of so much work and effort getting it just right, but ironic how many tricks I have lost in recent years too.  That said I still get out and skate it when I am feeling up to it and always grateful I have it there.

I think the only thing I do wish is that I had more time and space way back when I would have been able to skate it a lot more, but as per these things in life, who knows what might have happened back then.

Make the most of what you have got while you still have got it.  :)

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #191 on: February 04, 2022, 02:35:05 PM »
Will Tensor bushings fit Thunder’s?
Not the size, but the interlocking part through the kingpin hole on the hanger.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2022, 04:19:59 PM »
will smaller wheels be more likely to have bearings blow out?
my friend has reached the bearing condom stage on his wheels and he has it happen all the time, while its never happened to me
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

realbasedgod112

« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2022, 04:23:37 PM »
my friend has reached the bearing condom stage on his wheels and he has it happen all the time, while its never happened to me

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2022, 04:25:51 PM »

Unless something has changed, I would say no.

Most other trucks don't have a large enough gap through the middle of the yoke area to fit interlocking bushings, from when I saw them and tried them in other boards.

Others might have a different story though, but those Tensor trucks really did have a much wider hole than everything else.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #195 on: February 04, 2022, 05:39:15 PM »

I would say that there is no correlation between small wheels and blowing bearings.

There might be something in the use of the skateboard, or how much things are looked after, more so than anything else, eg someone who goes super hard, doesn't clean or maintain anything, rides wheels to death might also ride bearings to death too.

You normally don't need to clean bearings unless they get wet or seize up, but keeping them well lubed will mean they work how they were intended.  Running them loud, raw, no lube, no shields or whatever might be cool, but bearings are much more likely to blow out.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #196 on: February 04, 2022, 07:37:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn that’s nice!

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
« Reply #197 on: February 04, 2022, 08:06:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Most other trucks don't have a large enough gap through the middle of the yoke area to fit interlocking bushings, from when I saw them and tried them in other boards.

Others might have a different story though, but those Tensor trucks really did have a much wider hole than everything else.

I got them to fit. It was with the Tensor ATG bushings, I can't speak for the rest of the Tensor lineup. But the Thunder's yoke measures 1mm less than that of a Tensor ATG. So you're left with a hanger that slops around between the two bushings. You could throw in a thin washer or a 6006 bearing shield between the yoke and bushing. Might be more trouble than it's worth though.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: February 05, 2022, 06:24:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I got them to fit. It was with the Tensor ATG bushings, I can't speak for the rest of the Tensor lineup. But the Thunder's yoke measures 1mm less than that of a Tensor ATG. So you're left with a hanger that slops around between the two bushings. You could throw in a thin washer or a 6006 bearing shield between the yoke and bushing. Might be more trouble than it's worth though.

That's good info.

I remember someone wanting to keep their old bushings to use in their new trucks and they couldn't get the nut on, but I wasn't really paying attention to their setup after I had gripped the board and put things together for the new complete, dealing with other things, etc.  Then when I came back to help, I realised they had those Tensor bushings and they didn't fit in their new trucks, so I ended up cutting off the interlocking part - completely still worked as normal bushings anyway - but that was when I really looked into it and pulled apart a complete with Tensors and tested those bushings in all the other normal trucks in the shop at the time - nothing fit at all.

That was from a long time ago now, or so it seems, but not many people I know use Tensors and I rarely see them out and about besides on the completes they come on, more for the younger ages.

Maybe one other guy I know rides Tensors and he swapped out the bushings for Bones right away, but I am guessing many more people ride them in other places.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2022, 11:22:57 AM »
So on a set of stock indys, the *bottom bushing (on baseplate) is the barrel, and the top (against nut) is the conical. Is this how other people see it or am I absolutely wrong?
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 313
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2022, 12:03:19 PM »
So on a set of stock indys, the *bottom bushing (on baseplate) is the barrel, and the top (against nut) is the conical. Is this how other people see it or am I absolutely wrong?
That's correct. Indys stock have the barrel bottom. Its up to you whether you want to switch it up since indy aftermarkets offer either conical or barrel bottom. The top bushing for any truck company should be 'conical' but whenever people mention bushing style, they're most likely referring to the bottom bushing. Ventures have a barrel bottom and Thunders have a conical bottom as stock. hope this helped clear up any confusion!

realbasedgod112

« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2022, 02:31:34 PM »
my wheelbase knowledge is pretty solid, but how does a longer/shorter nose or tail affect the way you skate?
a similar question, what's the appeal of twin tail boards? is there any significant difference that can be noticed skating them by an average person?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #202 on: February 07, 2022, 03:09:00 PM »
my wheelbase knowledge is pretty solid, but how does a longer/shorter nose or tail affect the way you skate?
a similar question, what's the appeal of twin tail boards? is there any significant difference that can be noticed skating them by an average person?

I guess I am so used to how boards feel that when I skate something that is not a normal board, eg approximately 7 inch nose and 6.6 inch tail things can often feel off for me, even though I prefer to do things like pop shov variations off the nose rather than the tail (mainly growing up trying to make the board last longer, but also a good way to start runs, first trick pop shov and then going forwards on a board the right way).  Too long or too short can mess up that muscle memory of how I usually skate, but oddly enough on some cruisers that I know have a shorter nose, or one with a significantly longer nose as I drilled the wheelbase back, I got used to it easily enough.

Back when boards went from ramp setups to street setups (89 to 93), drilling the wheelbase down to lengthen the nose was what everyone did (and then they came factory double drilled for a while) but that really upped the switch game of being able to do a lot of things from both ends, as well as all the nose slide variations that came later.

When I had a skate on a few twins, the main thing I noticed was I always felt like the board was too short and I was skating the board backwards when I went to do nose tricks - of course this is how it would feel, being twin tails, but others really like the fact that they can skate a board either way and not have to turn it around.  The twin nose board also felt weird for the fact that both noses were over 7" which threw out my timing on normal things.

Before twins, there was also the option as I did to use both ends differently, eg some tricks would be better off the nose, some off the tail, for both normal skating or switch skating, so with slightly different angles and lengths of kicks, it is funny to think how used to a normal board your body can get, as well as how weird a different board feels with a longer or shorter kick at either or both ends.

That said, most people can get used to it within a few sessions, as long as it is not so completely different to what you used to skate, same woodshop, concave, but just different shapes.

Totally different woodshops, way different concaves, angle of kicks and all of that is just too much all at once, for some boards I have skated, so either given them straight back to the owner, or taken them apart and either altered them or passed them on to others.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2022, 03:10:14 PM »
shorter nose = quicker flick
less distance for the front foot to travel
probably equal less control but that depends on the rider
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2022, 05:16:47 PM »
Long shot but…
Does anyone remember when airwalk NTS first dropped and their ad featured Jason Rogers (?) skating in one blue shoe and one yellow?
That actually happened right? Want to confirm my brain isn’t totally fried…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #205 on: February 07, 2022, 05:54:14 PM »
shorter nose = quicker flick
less distance for the front foot to travel
probably equal less control but that depends on the rider

A longer nose usually allows more leverage for a flick, the longer flick lets it be a higher and smoother flip due to the toe having more force

However a shorter nose makes the flick more snappy which is also appealing in different scenarios

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #206 on: February 07, 2022, 06:11:46 PM »
Really depends what "average" is. When I was a newbie I actually thought the big kick was the tail (I think I just assumed it was that way because of old 80s boards) and often rode boards backwards. Then my 4th board was a girl board and felt absolutely awful to ride that way. You can just feel when it's wrong. I think the appeal of twin tail is it feels right either way you ride it and you kinda get longer life out of the board. Altho possibly suffers for nollie stuff

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #207 on: February 07, 2022, 06:40:48 PM »
What's your go to for decks with a short WB, long and steep kicks? Getting way more pop than I can handle and I'm ghost popping all day.

Smaller wheels?
Lower trucks?
Trucks that extend / bring in WB?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2022, 04:48:13 AM »
Long shot but…
Does anyone remember when airwalk NTS first dropped and their ad featured Jason Rogers (?) skating in one blue shoe and one yellow?
That actually happened right? Want to confirm my brain isn’t totally fried…

I tried to find it, but only came up with various other pics and ads, but they definitely were marketed as a swap or mix and match shoe, as per this ad in Thrasher 1993:

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/imagesV2/Burnout/2013/Magazine_1993/April_1993/TH0493Apr1993p82-83_610w.jpg

And this pair for sale on some site:

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2022, 05:03:59 AM »
What's your go to for decks with a short WB, long and steep kicks? Getting way more pop than I can handle and I'm ghost popping all day.

Smaller wheels?
Lower trucks?
Trucks that extend / bring in WB?

I am probably not much help here as I would flatten the board more so than anything else, but if the board is how it is and cannot be changed, I found that the lower trucks and smaller wheels combo made it a lot easier to skate and connect to the ground way more easily, as per that 8.25" Creature deck with a set of Venture 5.2 low and 49mm wheels setup I sent you pics of that other time.

People still skate that board that I keep at the indoor park and think it is the best tech setup they have rolled on, compared to most of the other bigger and wider (not to mention more mellow) setups most people I know have going as their regular board.

Was that also the sort of setup Ben DeGros would do on a short steep deck?

I hadn't gone back over his videos to check, but I seem to recall something like that.