Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 211051 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #270 on: February 22, 2022, 08:58:03 AM »
i usually see sz 13 but rarely 12.5 (my actual size)
maybe they are just selling out early?
I don't think a skate shoe has ever been made in a 12.5. I've only seen it in certain runners or basketball shoes. Usually higher end.
Yeah see that's what you'd think the logical reason is but it's just never available. You look the second the shoes come out and 13 is already greyed out or you look at shoes that are months old same thing. Now also there's the fact a lot of shops don't bother with most shoes over size 12 but they will have the really big sizes. And I'm looking on the official sites and they don't even have them

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1130
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #271 on: February 22, 2022, 09:13:15 AM »
Expand Quote
what the fuck is the point of those 'full' antihero decks that are just rectangles? surely there is NO way that anyone can skate with them, right?

right?
[close]

Antihero pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable as well as taking the piss out of the rest of the skateboard industry over their "full shaped" decks.

There is a video of all of them skating them and they seem to be going ok on them, but I do wonder how many will just go on a wall, or even be perfect to reshape into something else, even slightly round off the kicks...

Any which way they all sold out fairly quickly, from all the places I saw anyway.

I wanted a true full so bad, went shop to shop trying to cop one. Now I have ebay alerts for true fulls and night hammers...

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #272 on: February 22, 2022, 09:51:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
what the fuck is the point of those 'full' antihero decks that are just rectangles? surely there is NO way that anyone can skate with them, right?

right?
[close]

Antihero pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable as well as taking the piss out of the rest of the skateboard industry over their "full shaped" decks.

There is a video of all of them skating them and they seem to be going ok on them, but I do wonder how many will just go on a wall, or even be perfect to reshape into something else, even slightly round off the kicks...

Any which way they all sold out fairly quickly, from all the places I saw anyway.

[close]

I wanted a true full so bad, went shop to shop trying to cop one. Now I have ebay alerts for true fulls and night hammers...

They didn’t send many out to shops. I wanted one bad enough to order blanks and make a bootleg. It rules!

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #273 on: February 22, 2022, 09:58:43 AM »
What the heck is going on with shoe companies and not making size 13 shoes? Nike and Adidas are the worst but sometimes nb and vans too. New shoe comes out and every site has every size but not 13 but they often have 14,15,16. Are they superstitious? I've noticed often size 4 is also greyed out. There's a certain type of people who don't like the number 4 who are pretty important to sports brands.

I'm buying all of them, probably.

But really it's just economics. There's less people with size 13 feet, so they make less than they would size 8-12, but there are still enough of us for them to sell through rather quickly. Meanwhile, sizes 14-16 are VERY uncommon so they're less likely to sell through, even in small quantities.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #274 on: February 22, 2022, 10:08:53 AM »
Expand Quote
What the heck is going on with shoe companies and not making size 13 shoes? Nike and Adidas are the worst but sometimes nb and vans too. New shoe comes out and every site has every size but not 13 but they often have 14,15,16. Are they superstitious? I've noticed often size 4 is also greyed out. There's a certain type of people who don't like the number 4 who are pretty important to sports brands.
[close]

I'm buying all of them, probably.

But really it's just economics. There's less people with size 13 feet, so they make less than they would size 8-12, but there are still enough of us for them to sell through rather quickly. Meanwhile, sizes 14-16 are VERY uncommon so they're less likely to sell through, even in small quantities.
Yeah those are all the logical reasons (things ive realised and dealt with for about 20 years) and I don't really believe there's some conspiracy.
 I responded to off already but it's literally every single site no matter if you check the minute the shoe comes out, months later or its a staple shoe that's pretty much always been around. It's fine tho it's just a sign I should only wear classic vans

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #275 on: February 22, 2022, 10:20:29 AM »
How long do blazer mids take to break in?

I usually skate jordan 1s, new balance 440s. Had a few pairs of blazers for chillin but tried skating some yesterday. Jesus christ they're grippy on the flick, was struggling. Probably not as ideal as jordans for me overall but can see them being nice when they get a little less aggressively grippy.

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #276 on: February 22, 2022, 10:29:16 AM »

I usually skate jordan 1s, new balance 440s. Had a few pairs of blazers for chillin but tried skating some yesterday. Jesus christ they're grippy on the flick, was struggling. Probably not as ideal as jordans for me overall but can see them being nice when they get a little less aggressively grippy.

The gum on shoes like the blazers is much less dense as what you would see on a #440, you either got to get used to the gummy/grippy flick as its different material than what you are used to or basically wear them down far enough where there is simply less gum on the toe.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #277 on: February 22, 2022, 10:31:26 AM »

Jordan 1s are some of my faves, all time.
These days I remain real committed to nb 1010s (thicker than aj1s for sure).
It’s been so long since I’ve skated blazers. They look good/great. I remember them being a thicker vulc, which would be a huge plus for me as most vulcanized shoes hurt my feet. A lot.
The super grip on flick isn’t all that helpful for me. I usually jam my board into my shins for a few days trying to do kickflips and, best case scenario, succeed in doing these half flips were the board sticks to my foot, goes twice as high, and ends up way in front of me. I then compensate and dial it back too far, which results in some really shabby looking ‘mobbed’ kickflip attempts. Tbh I’m not sure what the vulcs really help with. But the blazers look cool as hell. Just very smart with a pair of regular jeans.
Are they tts?
How comfortable are they in relation to Jordan’s/dunks?

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #278 on: February 22, 2022, 10:32:54 AM »
Is Drehobl done getting pro boards?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #279 on: February 22, 2022, 10:41:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s been so long since I’ve skated blazers. They look good/great. I remember them being a thicker vulc, which would be a huge plus for me as most vulcanized shoes hurt my feet. A lot.
The super grip on flick isn’t all that helpful for me. I usually jam my board into my shins for a few days trying to do kickflips and, best case scenario, succeed in doing these half flips were the board sticks to my foot, goes twice as high, and ends up way in front of me. I then compensate and dial it back too far, which results in some really shabby looking ‘mobbed’ kickflip attempts. Tbh I’m not sure what the vulcs really help with. But the blazers look cool as hell. Just very smart with a pair of regular jeans.
Are they tts?

Yeah I had a few pairs because I like the look a lot but didnt plan on skating them at all, thought I'd try a few times though.

Definitely feel you with the super grip not being helpful. My friends say it gets better as the rubber wears down a little. When it works my flip tricks are super high and proper but I have to flick so much harder.

They're true to size, a little less comfortable than jordans/dunks imo but the padded collar is very nice. Though they're noticeably narrower and thats a bit of a problem for me, feels like my ankle is a bit more prone to rolling over.

Not an issue right now but feel like they're going to get floppy and lose their structure a lot quicker than cupsoles, so probably don't want to skate them when they get to that point.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #280 on: February 22, 2022, 10:53:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Are they tts?
[close]

Yeah I had a few pairs because I like the look a lot but didnt plan on skating them at all, thought I'd try a few times though.

Definitely feel you with the super grip not being helpful. My friends say it gets better as the rubber wears down a little. When it works my flip tricks are super high and proper but I have to flick so much harder.

They're true to size, a little less comfortable than jordans/dunks imo but the padded collar is very nice. Though they're noticeably narrower and thats a bit of a problem for me, feels like my ankle is a bit more prone to rolling over.

Not an issue right now but feel like they're going to get floppy and lose their structure a lot quicker than cupsoles, so probably don't want to skate them when they get to that point.

Thanks!

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #281 on: February 22, 2022, 10:55:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Whats the best paint/laquer/varnish or whatever I can get in a spraycan that'll give an unfinished deck that factory fresh shine?
[close]

Is it called "Clear coat" or is that just the name that people give it?

That is what I have always thought it was, but there might be other brands that just list it as "clear" in the paint range.

As to specific brands, I don't really know about there in USA, but some of the higher end paint brands might give you a better product than the cheap $2 shop cans.

I recall anything with a matt finish doesn't slide as well as a gloss finish, but anything sprayed too thickly will also tend to not slide as well.

Sorry that pic is probably huge.

Acrylic stays clear, poly turns yellow.  Gloss looks more pro, but hides fewer flaws.  Satin's ok, matte is played out, imo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: February 22, 2022, 10:56:17 AM »

Very underrated skateboarder.
I wish they still made his wide (for the time), but short board shape from the beginning of Krooked.
Also, the graphics in the beginning of Krooked were really good. At the time I was just like ‘sick this sheffey gest board is my size’.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #283 on: February 22, 2022, 03:03:51 PM »
The beginning of Krooked also had Lutzka, hahaha

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #284 on: February 22, 2022, 03:27:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Very underrated skateboarder.
I wish they still made his wide (for the time), but short board shape from the beginning of Krooked.
Also, the graphics in the beginning of Krooked were really good. At the time I was just like ‘sick this sheffey gest board is my size’.

There is supposed to be another one in the next drop.

The 9.25 with double drilled wheelbase, same as his previous ones.

Not sure how many will be around though.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #285 on: February 22, 2022, 03:41:47 PM »
Dope, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #286 on: February 22, 2022, 05:53:27 PM »
What magic does it take to get an avatar? Tried but I guess I’m to stupid.

disclosed

• Rep: 176
« Reply #287 on: February 23, 2022, 08:38:06 AM »
only way that worked for me was through the URL option, and i think even then theres a size limit.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
« Reply #288 on: February 23, 2022, 08:47:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
only way that worked for me was through the URL option, and i think even then theres a size limit.

Yeah, same, hosted it on Imgur, otherwise, it doesn't work.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #289 on: February 23, 2022, 09:02:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah, same, hosted it on Imgur, otherwise, it doesn't work.

Yep. Same here. Went for the longest time sans avatar, but then finally got around to hosting/uploading one on Imgur.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #290 on: February 23, 2022, 11:13:50 AM »
The beginning of Krooked also had Lutzka, hahaha

Great point. Ha. Fuck.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #291 on: February 24, 2022, 02:58:58 PM »
When people refer to "support" and "stability" in a shoe, what exactly are they referring to?

When I say support, I'm usually talking about padding, and how protected my feet feel in the shoe in ways other than cushion/impact protection, as well as how structured the shoe feels (so not a super floppy vulc).

When I say stability, I'm usually talking about how secure my foot feels in the shoe, and how protected I feel from ankle rolls  as a result of a structured shoe with a wide base. But also how structured the shoe feels. If its really floppy, then usually its not too stable, though there may be exceptions.

Seems like these terms aren't really well defined and people refer to different things when mentioning support and stability.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #292 on: February 24, 2022, 03:31:59 PM »
When people refer to "support" and "stability" in a shoe, what exactly are they referring to?

When I say support, I'm usually talking about padding, and how protected my feet feel in the shoe in ways other than cushion/impact protection, as well as how structured the shoe feels (so not a super floppy vulc).

When I say stability, I'm usually talking about how secure my foot feels in the shoe, and how protected I feel from ankle rolls  as a result of a structured shoe with a wide base. But also how structured the shoe feels. If its really floppy, then usually its not too stable, though there may be exceptions.

Seems like these terms aren't really well defined and people refer to different things when mentioning support and stability.

I skate Last Resort AB now, so I don't know what either of those words mean anymore...

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #293 on: February 24, 2022, 07:46:34 PM »
Do lightweight models of trucks make more or less of a difference at greater widths? I found online that a 129 Indy Hollow weighs 334g while the Standard weighs 377g, so about 11% weight savings, but what about at the larger sizes? I haven't seen those weights available.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #294 on: February 24, 2022, 08:22:01 PM »
Do lightweight models of trucks make more or less of a difference at greater widths? I found online that a 129 Indy Hollow weighs 334g while the Standard weighs 377g, so about 11% weight savings, but what about at the larger sizes? I haven't seen those weights available.

I feel with larger sizes you notice the benefits more

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #295 on: February 25, 2022, 12:04:20 AM »

For me I'd say support =stiffness/tightness. Like your foot won't wiggle around inside the shoe and doesn't feel like there's an air pocket under the arch. And the sole feels stiff like if you land promo your foot won't just bend in half.

Stability= you feel kinda sunk in and if you turn your foot a bit it doesn't feel like the shoe will just flop over and break your ankle. Basically the opposite of a lot of cupsoles where your heel is up On-top of the sole. (Which kinda defeats the purpose of a cupsole) worst offenders all those foam midsole shoes that filled the shoe wall from 2002-2006. Sort of like a Cortez.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #296 on: February 25, 2022, 12:18:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
For me I'd say support =stiffness/tightness. Like your foot won't wiggle around inside the shoe and doesn't feel like there's an air pocket under the arch. And the sole feels stiff like if you land promo your foot won't just bend in half.

Stability= you feel kinda sunk in and if you turn your foot a bit it doesn't feel like the shoe will just flop over and break your ankle. Basically the opposite of a lot of cupsoles where your heel is up On-top of the sole. (Which kinda defeats the purpose of a cupsole) worst offenders all those foam midsole shoes that filled the shoe wall from 2002-2006. Sort of like a Cortez.

Nice, at least it seems the two of us are on the same page. Though I feel like shoes can be supportive even if they're not super stiff, at least like thin and flexible in the forefoot but structured in the mid/back section.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #297 on: February 25, 2022, 06:52:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel with larger sizes you notice the benefits more

Well, 11% of more is more, but the the question is whether it will make a perceptible difference in a setup? I’m gonna say since hardware weight - bearings, bolts, bushings, bearings -is fixed, the lightweights might bring a bigger setup into a more normal weight range. 

Rattus Localis

« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2022, 09:01:17 PM »
Anyone ever skated a "new" deck that's been lying around the house for years?

I've got a Polar that I bought as a wall hanger, five or maybe six years ago. It spent some time on my wall but now lives in a box for various reasons. Doesn't appear to show any signs of warping or anything.

Thinking about skating it because I have too much shit in my house.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #299 on: February 26, 2022, 10:17:21 PM »
Anyone ever skated a "new" deck that's been lying around the house for years?

I've got a Polar that I bought as a wall hanger, five or maybe six years ago. It spent some time on my wall but now lives in a box for various reasons. Doesn't appear to show any signs of warping or anything.

Thinking about skating it because I have too much shit in my house.

Yes and I had no issues at all with boards up to ten years old, some maybe even older, same BBS wood and all still feel great.

Give it a flex with your hands on the kicks and board over your knee and feel if when you stand on the back of it (graphic up, stand in the middle) if it holds your weight or bounces, it will still skate like new.

As long as it hasn't been in super hot conditions or as you said, not warped, then there should be no problems.