Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 210962 times)

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #450 on: March 12, 2022, 06:00:33 PM »
Someone ordered me the Tom Knox reissue deck that Santa Cruz just put out for my birthday.  I thought the shape looked cool - kind of between a Dane 1 and a Krooked sweatpants shape. 

Serious question - are these reissue decks meant to be skated or are they supposed to be wallhangers? For the price I doubt they’re that rare or exclusive in terms of the quantity being produced but I don’t want to ignorantly destroy a collectible item in two weeks with my mediocre-ly executed nose and tailslides

Frank and Fred

« Reply #451 on: March 12, 2022, 07:00:08 PM »
Skate it. Those re-issues can be fun. The Knox is a great shape with double drilled wheelbase

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #452 on: March 12, 2022, 08:03:12 PM »
Someone ordered me the Tom Knox reissue deck that Santa Cruz just put out for my birthday.  I thought the shape looked cool - kind of between a Dane 1 and a Krooked sweatpants shape. 

Serious question - are these reissue decks meant to be skated or are they supposed to be wallhangers? For the price I doubt they’re that rare or exclusive in terms of the quantity being produced but I don’t want to ignorantly destroy a collectible item in two weeks with my mediocre-ly executed nose and tailslides

Skate it. Those re-issues can be fun. The Knox is a great shape with double drilled wheelbase

Totally agree.  Skate it and don't worry about anything else.

There are enough of those reissues coming out that they are not really collectable in the sense of the price going up, limited editions or much else, in the same way any OG board will soar in value if still mint in shrink does.

For the most part they are all made on the same presses with the same wood as any other normal board in today's market, but I do know some people that had the full painted Santa Cruz boards, often called dipped boards, which tend to use cheaper wood, more so than the stained boards, who said they got soggy faster than other boards they have had.

All up for a normal skateboard that is going to be skated, it should hold up just fine though.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #453 on: March 12, 2022, 08:11:25 PM »
Favorite canvas shoe? Why canvas? I just like they way they feel. Currently skating suede eras, usually skate 1010s, or Jordan’s. So I’m all over the place. I like to switch it up.
My favorites, so far, have been canvas slip ons, and then the blue Julien vans shoe from several years back.
Please and thanks

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #454 on: March 12, 2022, 08:50:42 PM »
Favorite canvas shoe? Why canvas? I just like they way they feel. Currently skating suede eras, usually skate 1010s, or Jordan’s. So I’m all over the place. I like to switch it up.
My favorites, so far, have been canvas slip ons, and then the blue Julien vans shoe from several years back.
Please and thanks
last resort canvas is pretty good. chuck 70s are also great :)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #455 on: March 12, 2022, 09:54:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Please and thanks
[close]
last resort canvas is pretty good. chuck 70s are also great :)

Thanks!!

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #456 on: March 12, 2022, 10:08:01 PM »

If it's available to order online for retail then it's not that collectible and you should skate it regardless.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 988
  • the moon rules
« Reply #457 on: March 12, 2022, 11:21:41 PM »
Expand Quote

Quite the trip down memory lane, I rode a Darkstar Armor Light deck and stomped a few FS 180s dead center, cracking the top and bottom plys but no the middle reinforced layer.
[close]

Those things were virtually unbreakable.

We had one come back that the guy skated to death and his mates just could not break and we ended up cutting it apart just to look at the insides of it.

The thing is with all these technologies, at some point they stopped doing them, which makes me think either they didn't quite hold up to how they were supposed to work, or the cost involved in production outweighed the performance.

I know one other guy said they made them too good so either had to sell them for a lot more or just stop making them, so maybe that is what happened.

The helium boards didn't last though - one came back after one session in pieces.
I think it was a combination of price point mixed with people just not wanting to skate them. Can’t sell them if no one wants to buy them

I’ve tried a few though. The Popwar tear decks were pretty great. I cracked the top layers ollieing a shoulder high gap, but the board felt like nothing was wrong afterwards. It held up for a few days until I got a new board. The Expedition One Inter-Lock boards had a problem with the bolts rattling themselves loose while skating. I think mine was a Ronson Lambert and the tail broke off in an almost perfectly straight line. The New Wave boards were my personal favorite though. I attribute learning tailslides to that deck technology. I was also 12 and probably couldn’t tell if the ridges actually helped or not either way. They did chip real easily though
fuck you bama

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #458 on: March 13, 2022, 12:53:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Quite the trip down memory lane, I rode a Darkstar Armor Light deck and stomped a few FS 180s dead center, cracking the top and bottom plys but no the middle reinforced layer.
[close]

Those things were virtually unbreakable.

We had one come back that the guy skated to death and his mates just could not break and we ended up cutting it apart just to look at the insides of it.

The thing is with all these technologies, at some point they stopped doing them, which makes me think either they didn't quite hold up to how they were supposed to work, or the cost involved in production outweighed the performance.

I know one other guy said they made them too good so either had to sell them for a lot more or just stop making them, so maybe that is what happened.

The helium boards didn't last though - one came back after one session in pieces.
[close]
I think it was a combination of price point mixed with people just not wanting to skate them. Can’t sell them if no one wants to buy them

I’ve tried a few though. The Popwar tear decks were pretty great. I cracked the top layers ollieing a shoulder high gap, but the board felt like nothing was wrong afterwards. It held up for a few days until I got a new board. The Expedition One Inter-Lock boards had a problem with the bolts rattling themselves loose while skating. I think mine was a Ronson Lambert and the tail broke off in an almost perfectly straight line. The New Wave boards were my personal favorite though. I attribute learning tailslides to that deck technology. I was also 12 and probably couldn’t tell if the ridges actually helped or not either way. They did chip real easily though

Pricepoint - also Darkstar, I've bought a few Darkstar decks on discount for the R7 but could never bring myself to ride them, ended up passing them on to homies at cost.

Popwar - Rode 2 of the TechDrop ones, long steep nose for a 7.5" deck. Only good things to say about the wood, team, graphics and the 1 video they released.

P2 - they were great while they were in circulation, really stiff despite the razor tail

Fibertech Lite - seen on Folklore and a couple of other brands, maybe it's nostalgia talking but I really loved the 1 8.0 I rode on this, kept its pop for way longer than expected.

Ronson Lambert - shudders
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #459 on: March 13, 2022, 05:20:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Totally agree.  Skate it and don't worry about anything else.

There are enough of those reissues coming out that they are not really collectable in the sense of the price going up, limited editions or much else, in the same way any OG board will soar in value if still mint in shrink does.

For the most part they are all made on the same presses with the same wood as any other normal board in today's market, but I do know some people that had the full painted Santa Cruz boards, often called dipped boards, which tend to use cheaper wood, more so than the stained boards, who said they got soggy faster than other boards they have had.

All up for a normal skateboard that is going to be skated, it should hold up just fine though.

Sounds like the consensus is definitely skate it.  I like it.  Thanks everyone!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #460 on: March 13, 2022, 10:51:12 AM »
How do I get out of slappy crooks? I can lock into them but I don‘t know how to get out.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #461 on: March 13, 2022, 03:38:04 PM »
How do I get out of slappy crooks? I can lock into them but I don‘t know how to get out.

FS or BS?

Either way, thing that always helps me is having my toes on the tail, just above the heel side pocket for fs and just above the toe side pickest for bs. Unweight from the nose and push back on the tail, but also be sure you are turning your shoulders from the curb...they should be doing the majority of the work.

Sorry if that's inarticulate. I'm better at FS and always find that pointing my front index finger away from the curb helps a lot.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 03:47:01 PM by Ronnie Rodriguez »

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #462 on: March 13, 2022, 03:59:34 PM »
I don't do slappies, but when you're in, I assume a crooked is a crooked, so...

I think the more natural and the easiest way to get out of a crooked (or a noseslide) is a pivot in order to fakie out. I feel the 'normal' way really harder.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #463 on: March 13, 2022, 04:01:16 PM »

Nollie fs 180 is always easier out of a crook than comin out to regular

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #464 on: March 13, 2022, 05:30:58 PM »

If you learn or can do very minimal nollie shifty type tricks on flat, they translate really well to getting out of crooks.

It is not the popping up high to get out, but the pushing forward and transfer of movement to the side even a little bit that gets you off the crooked grind position and back to beside the curb or ledge or whatever it is you are doing it on.

Try them on flat rolling with one push a bit first just to see, but the weight position is mostly over your front foot and back heel to pivot out if you cannot get the whole board to pop sideways under you.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1130
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #465 on: March 13, 2022, 07:26:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you learn or can do very minimal nollie shifty type tricks on flat, they translate really well to getting out of crooks.

It is not the popping up high to get out, but the pushing forward and transfer of movement to the side even a little bit that gets you off the crooked grind position and back to beside the curb or ledge or whatever it is you are doing it on.

Try them on flat rolling with one push a bit first just to see, but the weight position is mostly over your front foot and back heel to pivot out if you cannot get the whole board to pop sideways under you.

This is a better explanation of what I came to say, which is to sort of push forward and shift out onto your back truck. Thinking of it as a mini nollie shifty totally makes sense

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #466 on: March 13, 2022, 11:32:37 PM »
Wow thanks guys.

I was talking about backside and I actually got two where I got out to fakie, my question was about coming out to regular. I should have been more clear, sorry.

I have the back foot on bolts so that might be an issue, I‘ll try to move it further back. I will also try nollie shifty stuff.

I need to get these, the grind feels so dope.

Thanks again to all, it‘s nice to ask a question and to wake up and find many competent answers  8)
why come?

Solex

« Reply #467 on: March 14, 2022, 02:32:34 AM »
Dumb question : has anyone ever weighted different kind of grip tapes? I'd be really curious to know the difference between Jessup vs Mob for example.

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #468 on: March 14, 2022, 06:42:26 AM »
Wow thanks guys.

I was talking about backside and I actually got two where I got out to fakie, my question was about coming out to regular. I should have been more clear, sorry.

I have the back foot on bolts so that might be an issue, I‘ll try to move it further back. I will also try nollie shifty stuff.

Thanks again to all, it‘s nice to ask a question and to wake up and find many competent answers  8)

Not saying to crank your front truck down, but a slightly tighter truck is easier to bounce out of a crook than a loose one. Its doable on both, but easier if you have some resistance there to give you some bounce out of the pinch.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1130
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #469 on: March 14, 2022, 07:47:46 AM »
Wow thanks guys.

Also, a rounder edge wheel like a spitfire classic will help you come out a bit easier compared to a conical with a square edge. Of course you also won’t lock in to your slappy crooks as well, but might be helpful until you get really comfortable with them.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1089
« Reply #470 on: March 14, 2022, 10:15:05 AM »

I know an old fart who skates the Knox reissues regularly and he rips them pretty hard.

With that said, you are right that it’s very similar the Dane 1, which is why I’d keep the Knox as a wall hanger (and honestly potential investment) and skate a cheaper and more common board of the same shape.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #471 on: March 14, 2022, 12:30:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Wow thanks guys.

[close]

Not saying to crank your front truck down, but a slightly tighter truck is easier to bounce out of a crook than a loose one. Its doable on both, but easier if you have some resistance there to give you some bounce out of the pinch.

Ok, I have thought about tightening my trucks a bit anyway.

Expand Quote
Wow thanks guys.

[close]

Also, a rounder edge wheel like a spitfire classic will help you come out a bit easier compared to a conical with a square edge. Of course you also won’t lock in to your slappy crooks as well, but might be helpful until you get really comfortable with them.

I got rounded edge wheels, they lock in fine tho.

Thanks again, have a round of gnars.
why come?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #472 on: March 15, 2022, 05:45:52 AM »
Anyone skate or know of skateparks that use recycled plastic obstacles?
You normally find benches made of it around parks and schools in Aus usually a blue/green colour. Pretty decent actually don't know how they'd compare to those la tables. There's some campaign in Aus to recycle your plastic rubbish (like food packaging) and schools get balance beams or something. Wonder how a recycled plastic balance beam would go as a flatbar.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #473 on: March 15, 2022, 08:17:40 AM »
You normally find benches made of it around parks and schools in Aus usually a blue/green colour. Pretty decent actually don't know how they'd compare to those la tables. There's some campaign in Aus to recycle your plastic rubbish (like food packaging) and schools get balance beams or something. Wonder how a recycled plastic balance beam would go as a flatbar.

Horribly - we have some parks here that used the material for ledges and while they lasted forever felt terrible to skate. Unpredictably slick and you couldn't feel the grind at all, nothing for the truck to grip on to.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #474 on: March 15, 2022, 09:36:22 AM »
OK, this has been on my mind quite a bit as of late:

During the era when Eastern Exposure 3 was being filmed, where was everyone in Philly getting big wheels from? The video came out in 1996, and I assume most of the footage was from 1994-1995. I remember it being nearly impossible to find big wheels in catalogs or the local shops until at least mid-1996, and I am guessing that video is what made them popular. I was also a little kid so maybe I am just misremembering, but I feel pretty sure of it.

Was everyone skating deadstock slimeballs or something?

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #475 on: March 15, 2022, 10:09:04 AM »
Maybe via Matt Reason? Could it be one guy setting up a whole bunch of people? 

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #476 on: March 15, 2022, 10:14:01 AM »
Matt Reason had 63mm wheels out during this time, I believe.

Thanks, and I know this is some dork shit, but that ad is from 1996 or 1997 after they blew up (I have the TWS issue that it first ran in). I'm talking about in the early days of that crew, before EE3 made big wheels a thing.

biaherl

• Rep: 268
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #477 on: March 15, 2022, 10:20:28 AM »

Butter bench or butter board. Mostly only seen in DIY efforts

If the table is blue or green then it is the same product that you speak of but if it is classic tan then it's made of fiberglass

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
« Reply #478 on: March 15, 2022, 04:46:01 PM »
what are the widest contact patch wheels with the least diameter? i love how my v6 stfs feel worn down from 56mm to 50mm, but i'm not too keen to experience the hellish wheelbite process to get them back to that perfect spot.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Solex

« Reply #479 on: March 15, 2022, 05:17:23 PM »
what are the widest contact patch wheels with the least diameter? i love how my v6 stfs feel worn down from 56mm to 50mm, but i'm not too keen to experience the hellish wheelbite process to get them back to that perfect spot.
No clue about other brands, but in regards to the Formula Four familly the Conical Full shape has the best riding surface/diameter ratio with 21mm for the 52mm one (the smallest diameter available in this shape)

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

But you should rather ask that in the dedicated wheels thread.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 05:24:37 PM by Solex »