Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 211075 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #540 on: March 20, 2022, 07:10:43 PM »
Are the new AVE’s considered a cup sole? I’ve worn original busenitz for years but the ave looks kinda similar, thought of trying it out. Don’t know anything about shoes

The AVE’s are a cup. And I very much recommend them. Great shoe.

Thanks to all for the vulc recs!
I got some chuck 70s, and 92 halfcabs. The 92s will have to wait…they are from uprise a few years back, and this sounds dumb, but they are all white the black tongue and look too good for me to just fuck them up sucking at some slow flatground.
I’m looking at trying some Kalis vulcs.
My whole vulcanized shoe trip is wanting something that helps the flick, sure, but I also noticed that I tend to skate on the balls of my feet, not try and slam my tricks down, and I also skate for a shorter amount of time which helps me feel less jacked the next day. Blah blah.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #541 on: March 20, 2022, 07:14:59 PM »
how do yall deal with scratchy jeans?
down with the look but my inner thighs are on fire
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

in love w/ fs shuvs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #542 on: March 20, 2022, 08:09:03 PM »

i avoid em

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #543 on: March 20, 2022, 09:05:38 PM »
They are cup, and they're absolutely fucking amazing to skate.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #544 on: March 21, 2022, 07:45:57 AM »
Expand Quote
is there a good tool that can reach mounting bolts on venture lows without taking the entire hangar off
[close]

There are a number of skate tools that have a thin shaft, which all work well, brands include Modus, Spitfire, Ace, Independent, Bronson, along with some of those more high tech options which have the ratchet part too, such as Skatepro, Silver, and a couple of brands I cannot find right now just from a "skate tool" google search.

This sort of look:

This is one that I have that really fits into every gap (including Venture Low hangers on some boards I recently set up), having the thinnest shaft of all, but as it is a pull apart tool, sometimes that can be annoying.  I got a number of them from an ebay seller a long time ago for really cheap and they hold up pretty well, being all metal.  I did glue the two main parts together just so I didn't have them coming apart while using though.

Is the hex on the end of said skinny shaft KP size?

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #545 on: March 21, 2022, 07:59:14 AM »

If by scratchy, you mean no stretch, stiff-assed unwashed denim, I been wearing that shit since I got outta diapers and my skin is now so tough I wear them out from the inside.

Real answer: they break in. I did declare on day 3 of my last pair of stiff new dungarees “THEY’RE TEARING ME APART!”

biaherl

• Rep: 268
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #546 on: March 21, 2022, 10:53:26 AM »

That's what I was wondering. Looks like it. Why else would they have a hole on the socket end, looks like it fits the screwdriver for a t-handle

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #547 on: March 22, 2022, 01:36:50 AM »
I had a few pairs of suede Busenitz which were dope but now I have a pair of beige leather ones which look great but are extremely stiff/sturdy so much that they make my flick foot hurt. I thought they‘d break in but they won‘t. Anyone else got that problem with the leather ones or is it that particular colorway?

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #548 on: March 22, 2022, 02:52:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's what I was wondering. Looks like it. Why else would they have a hole on the socket end, looks like it fits the screwdriver for a t-handle

The skinny handle fits into the kingpin socket of the handle. the screwdriver / allen key thing inserts through the handle to hold the skinny handle in place using a magnet (small button thing in the middle).

Same design as the AF1 tool

https://shop.acetrucks.com/products/ace-af1-skate-tool

Anyone know the size for a kingpin and axle rethreader? I went with a very solid (albiet clunky) re-threader, I'm looking for the AF1 size and just the nut that fits into the socket. Ideally something I can pick up from a hardware store.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #549 on: March 22, 2022, 04:04:06 AM »

I never thought of that, but I checked it today and it is not the same size.  The tool hex part is too big.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #550 on: March 22, 2022, 04:09:41 AM »

Anyone know the size for a kingpin and axle rethreader? I went with a very solid (albiet clunky) re-threader, I'm looking for the AF1 size and just the nut that fits into the socket. Ideally something I can pick up from a hardware store.

The kingpin rethreader is 3/8" NF24 and the axle rethreader is 5/16" NF24 both available from ebay for about $10 each.

Should have just copy and paste from these posts, but I found that the die works better than the nut for overall better performance, but the nut still works well enough for most solid kingpins, just not so well on hollow kingpins:

If anyone is interested, I can pass on exactly where I got them, or you can look them up yourself.

Kingpin 3/8" UNF 24
Truck axle 5/16" UNF 24

You can often leave off the U so just NF 24 too, for some listings, eg 3/8 NF 24 RETHREADER NUT.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
« Reply #551 on: March 22, 2022, 09:09:47 PM »
i almost feel embarrassed to ask this:
when wheels wear down, where does the material actually go? it can't get stuck on the ground, because unless they're really shitty wheels there isn't a trail of anything.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #552 on: March 22, 2022, 09:26:25 PM »
I think it does go on the ground but it's such a small amount at a time it's unnoticeable. How long does it take to wear down a mm of wheel? You probably lose 1/100 of a mm in an entire session spread of however far you've been skating.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 176
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #553 on: March 22, 2022, 09:47:01 PM »
All wheel dust goes to heaven

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #554 on: March 22, 2022, 10:56:55 PM »
When are you done with a set of wheels? Besides flatspots

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #555 on: March 23, 2022, 01:37:31 AM »
when wheels wear down, where does the material actually go? it can't get stuck on the ground, because unless they're really shitty wheels there isn't a trail of anything.
Microplastics, man  :'(

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #556 on: March 23, 2022, 04:39:59 AM »
When riding gets too hard. Finland is rough so can't be riding these streets with 50mm wheels.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1130
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #557 on: March 23, 2022, 07:52:12 AM »

If the edges of the wheel get really chunky after slappies, I’ll switch em out

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1181
« Reply #558 on: March 23, 2022, 08:00:20 AM »
I had a few pairs of suede Busenitz which were dope but now I have a pair of beige leather ones which look great but are extremely stiff/sturdy so much that they make my flick foot hurt. I thought they‘d break in but they won‘t. Anyone else got that problem with the leather ones or is it that particular colorway?

in my experience, leather differs for each colorway/model.  sometimes the leather is sooooo soft and comfy, and then sometimes, yea, it's stiffer than suede.  it's always a gamble. 
hardly art, hardly starving

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #559 on: March 23, 2022, 12:12:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

in my experience, leather differs for each colorway/model.  sometimes the leather is sooooo soft and comfy, and then sometimes, yea, it's stiffer than suede.  it's always a gamble.

Yeah it‘s a pity, they looked so nice. Now that I have skated them for a few sessions they don‘t look nice anymore but I had to retire them prematurely and get suede ones. They‘re like slippers compared to the leather ones.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
« Reply #560 on: March 23, 2022, 03:29:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Microplastics, man  :'(
better make the switch back to steel
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #561 on: March 23, 2022, 03:35:34 PM »
Am I insane for wanting $30 titanium bolts for inverted kingpin when grade-8 steel is $3 at the hardware store

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Lite-Titanium-Seat-Bolt-3-8-24-Thread-x-2-Inch,34338.html

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
« Reply #562 on: March 23, 2022, 03:48:05 PM »
Am I insane for wanting $30 titanium bolts for inverted kingpin when grade-8 steel is $3 at the hardware store

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Lite-Titanium-Seat-Bolt-3-8-24-Thread-x-2-Inch,34338.html

Nah, I have these same ones. They're light, low, and last forever.  ;)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

milk.razor

• Rep: 11
« Reply #563 on: March 23, 2022, 05:13:16 PM »
Does anyone have experience going from Busenitz to the AVE? I’ve been skating the former so long it kinda feels like cheating on a spouse. Plus ive been skating more this spring and got a lot of tricks back, dont wanna mess up a good thing… probably overthinking it
No fun allowed. Also get your phone out and film this for my insta edit. Also don’t breath too loud. Bitch.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #564 on: March 23, 2022, 06:15:45 PM »
Does anyone have experience going from Busenitz to the AVE? I’ve been skating the former so long it kinda feels like cheating on a spouse. Plus ive been skating more this spring and got a lot of tricks back, dont wanna mess up a good thing… probably overthinking it

It’s been a really long time since I’ve had the Busenitz. The AVE, for me, is superior in every way, save looks. The AVE is one of my favorite shoes to skate, so take that with a heaping pile of salt. Seems to be a bit divisive, for some the shoe just doesn’t work/blows out really quick. For me, it’s an incredibly stable shoe, that is as ‘high performance’ as I would want, light, good board feel, etc. I don’t ‘love’ the look.
I played soccer forever, the Busenitz appeals to me, visually, a lot. However, there is a significant amount of heel drop, and the forefoot is not padded enough for me. It’s been way too long for me to recall, years and years, but I just remember feeling like the balls of my feet were getting hot from slapping the ground/board. The AVE is very neutral, far less heel drop (again, opinion, I haven’t measured/haven’t read that this is true, just my ‘feeling’), and just felt good, in lots of situations: I walked lots miles in them, ended up going on some jogs/sprints wearing them, bikes, etc. Just all around good shoe, good ventilation too. Just don’t love the look. Im so repetitive.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 07:08:10 PM by Ok »

milk.razor

• Rep: 11
« Reply #565 on: March 23, 2022, 06:32:03 PM »
Thanks a lot for that. I don’t love the look either, thinking about the butternut colorway.. Def feel you about the balls of the feet heatin up on the busenitz. Thats exactly where my last few pairs have worn down before anywhere else.
No fun allowed. Also get your phone out and film this for my insta edit. Also don’t breath too loud. Bitch.

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #566 on: March 23, 2022, 06:44:38 PM »
Thanks a lot for that. I don’t love the look either, thinking about the butternut colorway.. Def feel you about the balls of the feet heatin up on the busenitz. Thats exactly where my last few pairs have worn down before anywhere else.

I had like 4 pairs of busenitz a couple years ago. Loved how they skated just found the stitching in the Ollie area ripped super fast. I’d shoegoo that seam while they were still new

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #567 on: March 23, 2022, 07:06:14 PM »
I’ve been on some vulc kick lately, and blast thru shoes/or more realistically the shoes begin to feel so sloppy that they are painful to wear. I’ve been wanting to try the busenitz vulc (as well as the Shane’s…which I would only admit, with the anonymous nature of this board). Few years late to that party. The Busenitz vulc looks more stable, as someone with Bambi ankles, stability is a big deal. I’d rather murder the bottoms of my feet, than stack insoles that make the whole shit tippy. With AVE’s, I felt very in the shoe, not on top. Which was nice.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1377
« Reply #568 on: March 24, 2022, 07:06:36 AM »
How long can a deck sit for until it starts to warp? Or, related to that - how can you avoid warping? Is warping inevitable?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #569 on: March 24, 2022, 07:39:32 AM »
Do all of you people riding IKP realllllly do that many smiths and feebles to necessitate it? My experience with them ended up so poorly I can’t imagine why anyone would use em.