Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 210948 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #660 on: April 08, 2022, 09:21:03 PM »
Why doesn't Adidas put out more Forums... with suede too. They could get in on some of that dunk money at least if they did it better.
This is kinda the question for every shoe company. They all have enough designs for whatever the next tends is I guess it's just not that quick to make shoes. Vans could start doing a ton of wacky colour halfcabs and bring back the dr ts.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #661 on: April 08, 2022, 10:38:31 PM »
Nice thread...

Is there any value in using FP Gamechangers in cupsole shoes that already have a decent midsole? Skip them or go with the thinner FP in the cup for best of both worlds?

I have had good experiences with them in cupsoles since they seem to last longer than most stock insoles.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #662 on: April 09, 2022, 02:32:32 AM »
Is there any difference between the OJ Hot Juice and the Super Juice? Durometer and size seems the same

I was hesitating for a long time but between the Nick boserio and Pea Franks this week, I'm sold

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #663 on: April 09, 2022, 02:52:46 AM »
Is there any difference between the OJ Hot Juice and the Super Juice? Durometer and size seems the same

I was hesitating for a long time but between the Nick boserio and Pea Franks this week, I'm sold
i think the only difference is that hot juice are more squared/sharper lip. going to be grippier but also chunk a lot easier

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #664 on: April 09, 2022, 05:32:10 AM »
Any idea with trucks simon bannerot skates on the loveseat? Looks like indys in some clips.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 133
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #665 on: April 09, 2022, 05:34:27 AM »
Any idea with trucks simon bannerot skates on the loveseat? Looks like indys in some clips.
either 149s or 159s either will work, I have film 6.0 on mine!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #666 on: April 09, 2022, 05:36:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thanks! if 159s work, I'm hoping it will feel fine with ace AF1 66s, which have a 9" axle but only a 159mm hanger for some reason.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #667 on: April 09, 2022, 06:06:12 AM »

They both ride the same, but Super Juices are more durable as it's an updated version of the Hot Juices. There's no reason to get Hot Juices unless you're trying to recreate a 70s style board.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 133
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #668 on: April 09, 2022, 06:08:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Thanks! if 159s work, I'm hoping it will feel fine with ace AF1 66s, which have a 9" axle but only a 159mm hanger for some reason.
will depend how you like your setup and what wheels you ride, I don’t feel like the love seat tapers too much personally, maybe a little at the tail but the nose is much more fuller than say Chico’s model.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #669 on: April 09, 2022, 06:52:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
will depend how you like your setup and what wheels you ride, I don’t feel like the love seat tapers too much personally, maybe a little at the tail but the nose is much more fuller than say Chico’s model.

Almost positive Simon uses 159s.
I asked this one very talented local what he was using truck wise on his and he said he preferred 8.5” trucks (5.8s), but that it was also in part because that’s the trucks he normally rides.
All to say seems like there are a lot of options with that board.

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #670 on: April 09, 2022, 12:51:35 PM »
They both ride the same, but Super Juices are more durable as it's an updated version of the Hot Juices. There's no reason to get Hot Juices unless you're trying to recreate a 70s style board.
i think the only difference is that hot juice are more squared/sharper lip. going to be grippier but also chunk a lot easier

Cool, thanks for the info! I remembered about the Hot Juice chunking issue from an old thread, good to know it got better

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #671 on: April 09, 2022, 10:10:17 PM »
Why do shoe companies or the pros kinda pretend that pros have had less pro shoes than they've had? Koston had like 9 shoes on Nike SB and p-rod like 16. Reynolds had like 12 emerica's, Rowleys had 20 vans. TNT has had 8 vans shoes (maybe more) even having two completely different shoes called the TNT 3 and the Trujillo 3

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #672 on: April 10, 2022, 06:02:55 AM »

I’m pretty sure he’s sponsored by pal 144p’s shop. You could hit him up for details.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #673 on: April 10, 2022, 05:05:11 PM »
Why did board companies always have a random vert skater? Like what was the value add for Girl to have Colin McKay? I never saw his board in a normal shop and I never recall ever meeting anyone that was super into him or vert. Obviously he’s kind of a legend so it’s not to diminish him but there were a lot of teams back then with just 1 vert dude AWS being another example.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #674 on: April 10, 2022, 05:28:09 PM »
Why did board companies always have a random vert skater? Like what was the value add for Girl to have Colin McKay? I never saw his board in a normal shop and I never recall ever meeting anyone that was super into him or vert. Obviously he’s kind of a legend so it’s not to diminish him but there were a lot of teams back then with just 1 vert dude AWS being another example.

To cover all aspects of modern skating and trying to be relevant to everyone - that is my guess.

Danny Way and Colin McKay were pretty out there street skaters in their time too, but I guess they will more often be known for their vert or mega ramp skating.

As for most teams having a vert dude or two, for many it was at least a simple way of helping what seemed like the "almost out of a job vert pro" to still get a bit of coverage in an era almost completely dominated by street and tech flat terrain skating, after coming from an almost completely transition based 80s team line up.

There were still a lot more vert skaters than people would like to think of, and people who ride vert generally are not so into riding street pros' decks, mainly for the smaller size boards, but if they can get a board from a company they like in a bigger size, it didn't often matter if it had a vert pro name on it or not.

That was my take on it anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #675 on: April 10, 2022, 06:42:12 PM »
Contests still meant something….people who excelled at them were still big name guys ie. Koston, and vert was part of the events. The mags still covered vert and the owners still valued that form of skating….

It wasn’t about board sizes back then….they’d produce a 7.5 Colin McKay and he’d skate an 8…..Rick just liked Colin and he was placing top ten in stuff like Europe contests or Slam City Jam which were a big deal….

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #676 on: April 10, 2022, 07:38:57 PM »
Skating a vert ramp on an 8" sounds terrifying now, but i fully remember that being the norm back then. Wild

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #677 on: April 10, 2022, 08:34:44 PM »
If you could find one…..

The pros were no dummies, at the time they willingly asked for a 7.5 because they would sell….8”’s sat on the shelf.   

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #678 on: April 10, 2022, 09:12:08 PM »
So why the whole only 7.5-7.75 from 99 to 08. Sure it's what kids/normies bought but they only bought it because it's what was for sale and what they were led to believe it's what the pros were riding.
Save some money on shipping due to weight?
I assume the blank plys of wood were always the same but save material making skinnier trucks and griptape.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #679 on: April 11, 2022, 12:29:58 AM »
whats the best way to ensure that the holes are straight and lined up when redrilling a deck. putting roller skate trucks on so assume that there are no existing holes.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #680 on: April 11, 2022, 06:38:39 AM »
whats the best way to ensure that the holes are straight and lined up when redrilling a deck. putting roller skate trucks on so assume that there are no existing holes.

Wheelbase jig a lá Prof. Schmitt. Other wise: you need a measuring device and preferably a straight edge as long as the outside wheelbase length. The straightedge can be improvised. Find the centerline - find the center in the area where each truck will be. Use a straightedge to make a centerline. Layout your holes, preferably using a square. Use your straightedge to make sure the front and back holes line up. Drill. Alternatively, take the hangers off so you have just the baseplates, lay them out and measure so they’re centered and a straightedge to make sure they’re lined up.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #681 on: April 11, 2022, 07:45:19 AM »
Did The Killing Floor go under? Their site has no decks, IG changed to an archive, and their decks are on sale basically everywhere.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #682 on: April 11, 2022, 07:50:23 AM »
I always had a theory that the vert dudes didn’t rely as much on board royalties back then but were an easy way to add a deck to a lineup and just sell more. Like if the last Girl in the shop was a McKay and even if you didn’t skate vert but liked him and the brand you’d buy it over something else.

As for deck sizes I do remember seeing BA at the Vans park and he was skating 8.25-8.75 back then. I asked to skate his huge board and he let me for a pretty long time. I thought it was sick and wanted to get the blue fists deck and couldn’t find one that size anywhere so the biggest I could get was I think an 8.25. I loved it but couldn’t nollie heel consistently on it so I was convinced it wasn’t tech enough and went back down to 7.5 and that setup sat in our attic until I went to college. That was 2004 and I skated that thing most of my freshman year at like 2AM to wear off the Adderall and finally someone stole it from my dorm room when I left the door open to do laundry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #683 on: April 11, 2022, 07:53:33 AM »
Did The Killing Floor go under? Their site has no decks, IG changed to an archive, and their decks are on sale basically everywhere.

Hopefully

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1089
« Reply #684 on: April 11, 2022, 09:27:14 AM »

Two things:
1) I noticed the lack of decks the other day when my tax return came and I was gonna take advantage of their 3-for-$33/each deal and stock up

2) I know multiple women who have that Killing Floor “Grow a Garden” hat, none of whom skate or have any ties to skating
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #685 on: April 11, 2022, 09:51:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hopefully

Sorry, but can you elaborate on why you find the company distasteful?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #686 on: April 11, 2022, 10:20:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Hopefully
[close]

To my understanding, it’s basically a graphic designer selling boards.
The graphics are often very striking, well done, but seem to be heavy on the imagery of black musicians of yore, whilst also exhorting to end racism.
And some other stuff.
I’d rather buy, say an alltimers board, with an inside joke spelled in mac n cheese, from a skate clique several generations younger and across the continent, than support some one man band.
But all of that, is based off of my very limited understanding.
Opinions man. I got em.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #687 on: April 11, 2022, 10:27:07 AM »
They had a team and often did guest boards with fairly revered skaters. It's one man as much as Quasi is.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1089
« Reply #688 on: April 11, 2022, 10:36:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Hopefully
[close]

[close]

To my understanding, it’s basically a graphic designer selling boards.
The graphics are often very striking, well done, but seem to be heavy on the imagery of black musicians of yore, whilst also exhorting to end racism.
And some other stuff.
I’d rather buy, say an alltimers board, with an inside joke spelled in mac n cheese, from a skate clique several generations younger and across the continent, than support some one man band.
But all of that, is based off of my very limited understanding.
Opinions man. I got em.

You’re describing basically every modern skate brand.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #689 on: April 11, 2022, 10:51:32 AM »
I think there is a pretty gnarly chasm between quasi, supporting/giving boards to/giving a platform to, the quasi team. And doing a few guest boards. My opinion, is that mr tkf is less of the culture, and more attempting to give hisself a job that he enjoys. Free country as they say.
Little passion projects are great, it’s sick when someone loves something so much they want to make stuff (instead of just criticizing online/whining about what to buy, like me). I think sometimes, it comes off as a little more self serving. And that was the vibe I got from this ‘company’.
The economics of skateboarding do not make sense to me, I also do not understand the economics of really anything, but this entity seemed very comfortable at advocating for self, in a whiny way. That’s enough of that.
There are reasons why companies can spring up and takeover, passion, a collective, a scene, a group/community…Polar changed the scape, I wouldn’t call them a one man band. I don’t buy their stuff as often, sheer ubiquity and wanting to try different stuff, but it’s easy to see why it’s successful. Welcome is probably successful, but kinda gross, to me, so I don’t buy their stuff.
I’m all over the place with it, and it’s not that deep, please continue to stock up on cheap boards, and wear the nice hats.