Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 210954 times)

Notyourmom and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

notinternetfamous

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 313
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #690 on: April 11, 2022, 11:04:20 AM »
Did The Killing Floor go under? Their site has no decks, IG changed to an archive, and their decks are on sale basically everywhere.
https://www.instagram.com/thekillingfloor/?hl=en

there's 2 ig accounts (a main account which was active a day ago & an archive account). it seems the archives are just purely for art that was put on boards. As to why the site has no decks? not sure what happened to them unless people emptied out their shop as their 3/$100 deal went way longer than I expected. I checked like 2-3 weeks ago and the cart was still applying the deal but I didn't pull the trigger as I have 3 boards already on ice (2 of them being tkf's). They also have a Spring '22 drop on the way

LebowskisRug

« Reply #691 on: April 11, 2022, 05:17:42 PM »
Fuck, disregard I am an idiot then.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #692 on: April 11, 2022, 05:20:38 PM »
I think there is a pretty gnarly chasm between quasi, supporting/giving boards to/giving a platform to, the quasi team. And doing a few guest boards. My opinion, is that mr tkf is less of the culture, and more attempting to give hisself a job that he enjoys. Free country as they say.
Little passion projects are great, it’s sick when someone loves something so much they want to make stuff (instead of just criticizing online/whining about what to buy, like me). I think sometimes, it comes off as a little more self serving. And that was the vibe I got from this ‘company’.
The economics of skateboarding do not make sense to me, I also do not understand the economics of really anything, but this entity seemed very comfortable at advocating for self, in a whiny way. That’s enough of that.
There are reasons why companies can spring up and takeover, passion, a collective, a scene, a group/community…Polar changed the scape, I wouldn’t call them a one man band. I don’t buy their stuff as often, sheer ubiquity and wanting to try different stuff, but it’s easy to see why it’s successful. Welcome is probably successful, but kinda gross, to me, so I don’t buy their stuff.
I’m all over the place with it, and it’s not that deep, please continue to stock up on cheap boards, and wear the nice hats.

What in fuck's sake are you talking about? It is a skateboard company with a team, videos, and products. It's literally the exact same entity as Quasi just no big name riders and different focus on clothing. The brand is active in several communities and actually has somewhat of it's own design ethos unlike 75% of brands these days. Which, if the dude is a designer and has interest in specific kinds of art makes sense.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #693 on: April 11, 2022, 07:15:36 PM »
Expand Quote
I think there is a pretty gnarly chasm between quasi, supporting/giving boards to/giving a platform to, the quasi team. And doing a few guest boards. My opinion, is that mr tkf is less of the culture, and more attempting to give hisself a job that he enjoys. Free country as they say.
Little passion projects are great, it’s sick when someone loves something so much they want to make stuff (instead of just criticizing online/whining about what to buy, like me). I think sometimes, it comes off as a little more self serving. And that was the vibe I got from this ‘company’.
The economics of skateboarding do not make sense to me, I also do not understand the economics of really anything, but this entity seemed very comfortable at advocating for self, in a whiny way. That’s enough of that.
There are reasons why companies can spring up and takeover, passion, a collective, a scene, a group/community…Polar changed the scape, I wouldn’t call them a one man band. I don’t buy their stuff as often, sheer ubiquity and wanting to try different stuff, but it’s easy to see why it’s successful. Welcome is probably successful, but kinda gross, to me, so I don’t buy their stuff.
I’m all over the place with it, and it’s not that deep, please continue to stock up on cheap boards, and wear the nice hats.
[close]

What in fuck's sake are you talking about? It is a skateboard company with a team, videos, and products. It's literally the exact same entity as Quasi just no big name riders and different focus on clothing. The brand is active in several communities and actually has somewhat of it's own design ethos unlike 75% of brands these days. Which, if the dude is a designer and has interest in specific kinds of art makes sense.

Nah.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #694 on: April 11, 2022, 08:35:07 PM »
Would it be okay to drop off shoes at a skateshop?
I’ve dropped off boards and wheels. But would shoes cross a line?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #695 on: April 12, 2022, 06:51:03 AM »
Would it be okay to drop off shoes at a skateshop?
I’ve dropped off boards and wheels. But would shoes cross a line?

No. People do it at my local, as long as they have life in them and aren't totally disgusting people will be psyched. Skate shoes are expensive.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #696 on: April 12, 2022, 11:17:39 AM »
People who have shipped boards - what does it cost at USPS?

djoekr

• Rep: 302
« Reply #697 on: April 13, 2022, 04:56:37 AM »
Looking to replace my worn Volcom backpack but I bought a 10 inch setup recently. The straps on the Volcom aren't big enough for the deck size and I was wondering if there are any backpacks that have bigger straps so I can carry all of my different sized decks.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1089
« Reply #698 on: April 13, 2022, 05:09:38 AM »

It really depends on whether or not you cross significant sections of the country. I can ship a deck across the west coast for like $12-15, but if I have to ship something to Florida is jumps to something ridiculous like $30.

You can always lie and ship Media Mail. A skateboard bike is shaped like a box a poster would come in.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #699 on: April 13, 2022, 06:54:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It really depends on whether or not you cross significant sections of the country. I can ship a deck across the west coast for like $12-15, but if I have to ship something to Florida is jumps to something ridiculous like $30.

You can always lie and ship Media Mail. A skateboard bike is shaped like a box a poster would come in.

I would not recommend doing that. It might be less likely now due to staffing issues, but I have had multiple (legitimate) media mail packages opened and inspected.

UPS is cheaper for shipping boards long distance than USPS. There are a few services that do it, but if you have a PayPal account you can use their shipping service to get a cost comparison and print labels if you'd like.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #700 on: April 16, 2022, 05:34:05 AM »
Curious if anyone else got into skating from offigawaftika? Lol...

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #701 on: April 16, 2022, 07:25:43 AM »
Anyone have a GoPro and tripod suggestion for a curb skater? Been setting up my phone at the end of the curb with a shoe assist, but my board has hit it multiple times and it’s time to fix that. Thanks Pals!

Jowiththeflow

• Rep: 18
« Reply #702 on: April 16, 2022, 08:49:32 AM »
Looking to replace my worn Volcom backpack but I bought a 10 inch setup recently. The straps on the Volcom aren't big enough for the deck size and I was wondering if there are any backpacks that have bigger straps so I can carry all of my different sized decks.

A Snowboard backpack will work for sure.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #703 on: April 17, 2022, 12:52:19 AM »
Anyone have a GoPro and tripod suggestion for a curb skater? Been setting up my phone at the end of the curb with a shoe assist, but my board has hit it multiple times and it’s time to fix that. Thanks Pals!

Buy a Tripod from Amazon or Walmart: Manfrotto is a good brand.
Super Champion Fun Zone

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1329
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #704 on: April 17, 2022, 01:20:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Buy a Tripod from Amazon or Walmart: Manfrotto is a good brand.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07837W5NX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought this to use as a general tripod/handle and it has a pocket remote too. Overall pretty plasticky but it didn't cost much and it works well. The mount for your phone is spring loaded so it'll fit whatever including a GoPro but those make footage look weird.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #705 on: April 17, 2022, 07:58:48 PM »
Are flatter decks more prone to snapping than steeper? I’ve snapped 3/5 of my last decks and it seems only the flatter ones snapped. 2 were DLX wood the other was a fairly old BBS.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #706 on: April 17, 2022, 08:26:26 PM »
Are flatter decks more prone to snapping than steeper? I’ve snapped 3/5 of my last decks and it seems only the flatter ones snapped. 2 were DLX wood the other was a fairly old BBS.

I think so, at least in terms of how deep the dish is.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #707 on: April 17, 2022, 09:38:18 PM »
Concave absolutely provides strength. I don’t know how, or why. Concaved boards always held their pop longer for me as well.

I wish I could break boards. I have several banged out, years old boards. Maybe I should stop only skating flatground.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #708 on: April 17, 2022, 09:42:43 PM »
I snapped them on flat. Today was a fakie ollie, one before that was a weird tre flip stomp on the nose, first one was a switch ollie.

Flatness I mean kick steepness sorry. They all have roughly similar concave, but the boards I didn’t break had slightly steeper kicks and less flat before them.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #709 on: April 17, 2022, 09:44:12 PM »
Also can't exactly say how or why concave increases strength but I think it reduces how much the board flexes up and down. Sort of like if you hold a sheet of paper by the end it will flop down and you can bend it whatever way but if you make it curved like a skateboards concave it stays rigid. Now of course a skateboard isn't as flexible as a sheet of paper so it only has to flex a little bit before it just cracks or snaps

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #710 on: April 17, 2022, 10:53:44 PM »
I believe this was the OG reason for concave…..added strength…namely in the 80’s jump ramp days….torsionally the board is stronger…..I actually don’t know what that means….

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #711 on: April 18, 2022, 03:13:48 AM »
May I refer you guys to the pizza slice effect. Pizza is basically the same as a skateboard in terms of concave.
https://nanoscale.blogspot.com/2020/04/on-flexural-rigidity-of-slice-of-pizza.html

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #712 on: April 18, 2022, 05:24:34 AM »
Professor schmifft broke your boards with fingers of flat!

Makes sense that all the things being equal, boards would break there.

It used to feel pretty pretty good to step through a board occasionally.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #713 on: April 18, 2022, 08:54:16 AM »
Can flatspots be so tiny that they can’t be seen?
Was skating my bones stf for the third time in a super slick part (only skated there since having them) and they felt like having a small flatspot, but I couldn’t see anything.

I wondered, cause it’s really super slick there and it’s stf‘s.

But probably they will skate out after a while when that small, right ?

Second question:

Can indies be tightened up with its original bushings that they are venture out the box tight/lose ?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 09:32:44 AM by SlapMcKracken »

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #714 on: April 18, 2022, 09:34:01 AM »
Was skating my bones stf for the third time in a super slick part (only skated there since having them) and they felt like having a small flatspot, but I couldn’t see anything.

Yes and yes.

IMO only big flatspots are a thing to worry about since they don't even out all the way and you'll be stuck with the dreaded flatspot sound.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #715 on: April 18, 2022, 09:46:08 AM »

Second question:

Can indies be tightened up with its original bushings that they are venture out the box tight/lose ?

To me Ventures come loose off center out of the box and then the washer binds. Indy’s tip faster. You can likely get them close but they will never be the same.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #716 on: April 18, 2022, 10:30:46 AM »
Expand Quote

Second question:

[close]

To me Ventures come loose off center out of the box and then the washer binds. Indy’s tip faster. You can likely get them close but they will never be the same.

Yeah to me I’d say venture are pretty lose out the box, but some say they are still tight when they ride my deck.

So better get hard bushings to get similar feel?

oak leaf

• Rep: 52
« Reply #717 on: April 18, 2022, 11:59:58 AM »
i have a pet theory i wanna ask about in here instead of making a new thread. Yknow how wide trucks feel looser than skinnier trucks at the same tightness because of leverage? Is it possible that its easier to skate loose trucks with smaller feet? I know people say it has to do with weight, which makes sense, but i see dudes my size riding much looser trucks than i do, but also their feet are smaller than mine (us 13).

not really making excuses because i prefer medium loose anyways, but i wonder if people who manage to ride looser trucks also have smaller feet because they dont have as much leverage from the top of the deck…..

Also if you like actually know physics please just correct me and tell me to stfu  ;D

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #718 on: April 18, 2022, 12:04:05 PM »
i have a pet theory i wanna ask about in here instead of making a new thread. Yknow how wide trucks feel looser than skinnier trucks at the same tightness because of leverage? Is it possible that its easier to skate loose trucks with smaller feet? I know people say it has to do with weight, which makes sense, but i see dudes my size riding much looser trucks than i do, but also their feet are smaller than mine (us 13).

not really making excuses because i prefer medium loose anyways, but i wonder if people who manage to ride looser trucks also have smaller feet because they dont have as much leverage from the top of the deck…..

Also if you like actually know physics please just correct me and tell me to stfu  ;D

Damnnnnn, that might be true and make a very slight difference. I'm also size 13 and I skate a solid medium, sometimes loose leaning especially if you adjust for weight but wouldn't consider myself a loose trucks skater by any means.

Something unrelated, but kind of on a similar note to this is that I notice it takes a little less effort to break into powerslides if the trucks are a bit skinnier. Like if you have an 8.5 board with 8.25 trucks, it takes less force to break into a powerslide than if you had the same 8.5 board with 8.75 trucks. Probably due to the position of your heel/toe relative to where the wheel is sitting, and the ratio of downward vs sideways force applied. Shit maybe foot size could apply to this too.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #719 on: April 18, 2022, 01:33:03 PM »

I don't think it would necessarily make it easier to skate them loose.  I have small feet ( US 8 ) and I run medium-medium tight.  I cannot skate loose, I just don't get the appeal.

I do think that much like a larger truck feeling looser that someone with larger feet will make the same setup feel a little looser.  Same idea with the leverage being greater as their weight can be distributed out a little farther from the board.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 02:57:23 PM by Musicaldeath107 »