Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 211080 times)

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #720 on: April 18, 2022, 01:48:06 PM »
Anybody knows what those super technical flat YouTube guys ride for setups specially board width?

Griffin and Giger

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #721 on: April 18, 2022, 03:13:36 PM »
Expand Quote
i have a pet theory i wanna ask about in here instead of making a new thread. Yknow how wide trucks feel looser than skinnier trucks at the same tightness because of leverage? Is it possible that its easier to skate loose trucks with smaller feet? I know people say it has to do with weight, which makes sense, but i see dudes my size riding much looser trucks than i do, but also their feet are smaller than mine (us 13).

not really making excuses because i prefer medium loose anyways, but i wonder if people who manage to ride looser trucks also have smaller feet because they dont have as much leverage from the top of the deck…..

Also if you like actually know physics please just correct me and tell me to stfu  ;D
[close]

Damnnnnn, that might be true and make a very slight difference. I'm also size 13 and I skate a solid medium, sometimes loose leaning especially if you adjust for weight but wouldn't consider myself a loose trucks skater by any means.

Something unrelated, but kind of on a similar note to this is that I notice it takes a little less effort to break into powerslides if the trucks are a bit skinnier. Like if you have an 8.5 board with 8.25 trucks, it takes less force to break into a powerslide than if you had the same 8.5 board with 8.75 trucks. Probably due to the position of your heel/toe relative to where the wheel is sitting, and the ratio of downward vs sideways force applied. Shit maybe foot size could apply to this too.

Well shit. Huh.
I thought skinnier trucks felt looser, and I’ve always felt this way. Skinnier trucks turn quicker as well. The farther the wheels are apart, the more stability, no? Like look at a slalom setup. And then a mega ramp setup. I am a moron, and as such, should not be trusted, buuuuut in my mind the bigger lever was the board, not the truck. The wider trucks turn slower, like a 129 vs a 159, 129 has that tighter turning radius. I think that’s why a lot of bowl skaters ran 149s, at most. Wasn’t it Lance who was occasionally on the 139s even?
Maybe that’s not what you all are mentioning.

I have been thinking about shoe size and truck width. But I’m not good at thinking.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #722 on: April 18, 2022, 08:39:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i have a pet theory i wanna ask about in here instead of making a new thread. Yknow how wide trucks feel looser than skinnier trucks at the same tightness because of leverage? Is it possible that its easier to skate loose trucks with smaller feet? I know people say it has to do with weight, which makes sense, but i see dudes my size riding much looser trucks than i do, but also their feet are smaller than mine (us 13).

not really making excuses because i prefer medium loose anyways, but i wonder if people who manage to ride looser trucks also have smaller feet because they dont have as much leverage from the top of the deck…..

Also if you like actually know physics please just correct me and tell me to stfu  ;D
[close]

Damnnnnn, that might be true and make a very slight difference. I'm also size 13 and I skate a solid medium, sometimes loose leaning especially if you adjust for weight but wouldn't consider myself a loose trucks skater by any means.

Something unrelated, but kind of on a similar note to this is that I notice it takes a little less effort to break into powerslides if the trucks are a bit skinnier. Like if you have an 8.5 board with 8.25 trucks, it takes less force to break into a powerslide than if you had the same 8.5 board with 8.75 trucks. Probably due to the position of your heel/toe relative to where the wheel is sitting, and the ratio of downward vs sideways force applied. Shit maybe foot size could apply to this too.
[close]

Well shit. Huh.
I thought skinnier trucks felt looser, and I’ve always felt this way. Skinnier trucks turn quicker as well. The farther the wheels are apart, the more stability, no? Like look at a slalom setup. And then a mega ramp setup. I am a moron, and as such, should not be trusted, buuuuut in my mind the bigger lever was the board, not the truck. The wider trucks turn slower, like a 129 vs a 159, 129 has that tighter turning radius. I think that’s why a lot of bowl skaters ran 149s, at most. Wasn’t it Lance who was occasionally on the 139s even?
Maybe that’s not what you all are mentioning.

I have been thinking about shoe size and truck width. But I’m not good at thinking.
I'm also I size 13s guy and have ridden everything from 7.5-10 inch boards with tight to dumb loose trucks. I'm going to agree with the original big feet make trucks looser theory. For somebody with smaller feet setup a really wide board on the smallest trucks you can find. And see how much it changes the leverage. I'm also tall and kinda heavy so I feel like if I lean out and have my body not even over the board I'm getting so much more leverage than the average person.

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #723 on: April 19, 2022, 02:41:56 AM »
I was just wondering this for a while. Nut flush trucks are just unskatable for me. I'm (skinny) 6' 4 and wear 12.5.

hotdogsweatpants

• Rep: 67
« Reply #724 on: April 19, 2022, 03:26:36 AM »
Absolutely novice wheel question here:

Which wheels will revert better on crusty concrete transitions?  Bones SPF or Bones STF?

Background:

I've been skating Bones SPF for coming up on two years.  I skate transition and skate indoor wooden mini ramps/bowls a lot.
Now that the weather is improving, I'm going to start skating outside more again.  My style involves a lot of reverts and I'm wondering if Bones SPF are the best choice for this on old, haggard, British concrete.
The pant situation is out of control at this point

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #725 on: April 19, 2022, 05:34:07 AM »
Absolutely novice wheel question here:

Which wheels will revert better on crusty concrete transitions?  Bones SPF or Bones STF?

Background:

I've been skating Bones SPF for coming up on two years.  I skate transition and skate indoor wooden mini ramps/bowls a lot.
Now that the weather is improving, I'm going to start skating outside more again.  My style involves a lot of reverts and I'm wondering if Bones SPF are the best choice for this on old, haggard, British concrete.

Both will revert really well, you're more likely to slip out with stf and will have more control with spf I'd say.
I've never tried the 81 spf though, only the 84b spf and 99a and 103a stf.
I'd consider 99a stf in a wide shape similar to the 84b spf in terms of control, but the spf are way faster.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #726 on: April 19, 2022, 06:17:30 AM »
Anybody knows what those super technical flat YouTube guys ride for setups specially board width?

Griffin and Giger
Gigers main setup is a 8 inch revive board with Ace 33 
(not sure if classics or af1)
and the hard Bones bushings.
A friend told me this..
But it seems that this guy has arround 7 setups in his car so..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #727 on: April 19, 2022, 06:22:28 AM »
Expand Quote

Griffin and Giger
[close]
A friend told me this..

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #728 on: April 19, 2022, 06:32:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Griffin and Giger
[close]
A friend told me this..
[close]

There you go.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #729 on: April 19, 2022, 06:57:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Griffin and Giger
[close]
A friend told me this..
[close]

Who I’ve never heard of this dude but he looks like he should be a Mario Brothers character/kind of like a weird alt Walker Ryan

LebowskisRug

« Reply #730 on: April 19, 2022, 06:59:06 AM »
Are Spitfire 99 fine for smooth parks? I’m moving and my local park will be Linda Vista in SD. I don’t anticipate caring about skating the bigger transition, but don’t wanna stockpile more Classic Full if they will suck. I’ve been on 52 for forever but have 54 as well.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #731 on: April 19, 2022, 07:05:45 AM »
Htf is Andy Anderson the biggest skater on earth? Everyone who doesn’t skate knows that dude and Tony hawk and Rodney. That shit is trippy.

I got no issues with the guy but correct me if I’m wrong he can’t switch flip at all
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #732 on: April 19, 2022, 07:07:15 AM »
Are Spitfire 99 fine for smooth parks? I’m moving and my local park will be Linda Vista in SD. I don’t anticipate caring about skating the bigger transition, but don’t wanna stockpile more Classic Full if they will suck. I’ve been on 52 for forever but have 54 as well.

that's what I'm running pal 54mm f4 99 classics.

My local is glass like smooth compared too the rough British concrete we have when on the streets over here but on either surface they grip fine, roll fast and slide when I want them too. best all round wheel imo.
(just my opinion though but I'm sure they'll be others out there that will agree and disagree with that.)
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #733 on: April 19, 2022, 07:11:18 AM »
Expand Quote

Griffin and Giger
[close]
A friend told me this..

Interesting, thanks!

Opinions on the forged titanium indys anyone?
I need a track that I don’t have to worry with what wheelbase or tail lenght is the right one for it. And it should be light.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #734 on: April 19, 2022, 07:12:59 AM »
Well they’re light for sure but I didn’t like them as much as other Indy’s. Felt a bit too floaty and the board didn’t suck up to my feet as well or pop as strong. I prefer normal forged hollow to them but currently ride standard hollows and like them the most.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #735 on: April 19, 2022, 07:14:07 AM »
Htf is Andy Anderson the biggest skater on earth? Everyone who doesn’t skate knows that dude and Tony hawk and Rodney. That shit is trippy.

I got no issues with the guy but correct me if I’m wrong he can’t switch flip at all

He’s got a couple, but not many from what I’ve seen.

Not the prettiest kickflip either (ignore his melon grabs), but fuck me he can do them anywhere he wants, like Gravette.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CLuon42hFwK/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #736 on: April 19, 2022, 07:20:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not the prettiest kickflip either, but fuck me he can do them anywhere he wants, like Gravette.

I’m hating a little bit.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #737 on: April 19, 2022, 07:24:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Not the prettiest kickflip either, but fuck me he can do them anywhere he wants, like Gravette.
[close]

I’m hating a little bit.

Nah, his stuff is gross.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #738 on: April 19, 2022, 07:30:34 AM »
Well they’re light for sure but I didn’t like them as much as other Indy’s. Felt a bit too floaty and the board didn’t suck up to my feet as well or pop as strong. I prefer normal forged hollow to them but currently ride standard hollows and like them the most.

What do you mean with too floaty?

Can I get those venture out the box tight with their standard bushings or do I need harder bushings ?

And last question : are wider trucks better for manuals ?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 08:24:02 AM by SlapMcKracken »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #739 on: April 19, 2022, 08:21:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m hating a little bit.
[close]

Nah, his stuff is gross.
Is he the biggest skater on earth tho? Maybe if he gets in whatever the next Tony hawk video game is otherwise I don't believe it.

biaherl

• Rep: 268
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #740 on: April 19, 2022, 09:20:03 AM »

I used to think my manuals were easier on wider wheels until I lost them and got them back on a different setup with skinny wheels

Manuals are about leverage, fulcrum and finding your sweet spot. You can develop some serious board madness to truly understand your sweet spot. Or, or you can have fun and not pursue this route.

I just tell people to put their mind on their truck and balance. Works for me

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #741 on: April 19, 2022, 06:59:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m hating a little bit.
[close]

Nah, his stuff is gross.

Right? I don’t get the && love. Like I’m sure he’s a nice guy but I just don’t get what’s interesting about him? He looks like he would be on revive. And every 40 year old that starts skating again always buys his weird shape board. I’m 36 so I ain’t hating on old dudes getting back into it but why is loving && and getting his custom shape the midlife crisis start skating move?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #742 on: April 19, 2022, 10:36:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m hating a little bit.
[close]

Nah, his stuff is gross.
[close]

Right? I don’t get the && love. Like I’m sure he’s a nice guy but I just don’t get what’s interesting about him? He looks like he would be on revive. And every 40 year old that starts skating again always buys his weird shape board. I’m 36 so I ain’t hating on old dudes getting back into it but why is loving && and getting his custom shape the midlife crisis start skating move?

Well said. I dunno.
My guess is we live in this odd time, where ‘viral’ content is flown in front of our faces, and that dudes stuff is very quirky/gimmicky. His skating looks like it was made by Reddit. There is also an element that seems dorky and …it’s not as intimidating as seeing some youth do shit that every old person knows they have no chance of doing (I know most can’t do the Andy stuff either, but to me, his stuff seems easier than watching say ‘skater pat’ nonchalantly switch flip a set of stairs that I’d get winded wobbling up).
When I see his board at the park, I know we in a no ollie zone

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #743 on: April 20, 2022, 06:32:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m hating a little bit.
[close]

Nah, his stuff is gross.
[close]

[close]

Well said. I dunno.
My guess is we live in this odd time, where ‘viral’ content is flown in front of our faces, and that dudes stuff is very quirky/gimmicky. His skating looks like it was made by Reddit. There is also an element that seems dorky and …it’s not as intimidating as seeing some youth do shit that every old person knows they have no chance of doing (I know most can’t do the Andy stuff either, but to me, his stuff seems easier than watching say ‘skater pat’ nonchalantly switch flip a set of stairs that I’d get winded wobbling up).

Ok, as someone over 40 who likes Andy and yes, bought the board (not a fan of the graphics, and modified the shape), I will let you in on why he’s popular.

Because I started skating around 85, Grade 4, I think.  It was booming and was cool. I was not. I was perhaps the most unpopular kid at the school.

I thought skating would make me cool.

But as I got into it, read the magazines, I realized that it was a sport for outsiders. You could do it by yourself (which was perfect, as I had no friends until Jr High school). It wouldn’t make me cool, but it allowed me to do a sport with no rules.Make my own fun, and my own tricks.  This is pre-popsicle, beford skating became heavily uniform. All of a sudden, it had lots of rules. Cool tricks (that took a million tries to accomplish, rather than the poetry of a boneless over a curb, which was much more accessible and democratic). Cool clothes, and what became a very rigid mindset that I still see in people who grew up in that era.

If I’m going to generalize, the thrust of the  80’s was about fun (and how creative you could be in its pursuit). The 90’s was about adherence to a form, mastery of tricks. Kind of a polar shift in focus. Video filler in the 80’s shows skaters being weirdos, and having fun. Videos thereafter tended to focus on skaters getting drunk or stoned. Or violent.

Andy for us, reminds us of that more innocent, free time. Before rules and cool guy shit. Gonz is the only one that transitioned and didn’t lose his sense of discovery. Which is why he’s rightly regarded as Skate royalty.

Andy is a nerd, an outcast (because to skate in the 80’s you WERE an outcast, and sometimes beat up for it). We relate to that. Especially an outcast in a sport that used to love outcasts. Now we love people who are increadibly talented, but adhere to ‘cool’ tricks and norms (Ishod, Yuto, most any cookie cutter Street League fare).

Andy consciously knows that is what would get him noticed (he can obviously hang with the best of them in Street and Transition, and could master the tricks) IF HE WANTED. ( Case and point: his 29-stair smith on a rail THAT HADN’T EVEN DRIED OUT FROM THE RAIN. He can be Anti Hero levels if gnar is he wanted to).

But he forgoes all that in pursuit of his own personal fun, and his bizarrely creative approach to it.

He is a spirit animal to us aging skaters whose ideals were forged in the 80’s. And that’s why we love him, despite his horrendous bs airs and helmet. Or maybe because he proudly does it, and doesn’t give a shit about optics.

Which caused the tastemakers of skating to basically blacklist him. You can’t get into Thrasher skating street if you have a helmet. So the only avenue left to him was to film with people who looked past his weirdness. For better or worse, it was YouTube skaters who put him on. If you don’t like that, tough shit. Andy had a pro board coming out and the mags wouldn’t let him in. So he found another way, and is arguably more popular because of it.

The modern tight-ass ‘rules and regulations’ skate scene drove Andy to YouTube. That mentality caused this. Not Andy, who just wants to be his weird, soft self.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 06:47:55 AM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #744 on: April 20, 2022, 06:41:51 AM »

Andy Anderson has a type of skating that is bound to be much more interesting for the general public than watching another kid in SoCal do another variation on a rail that's been skated a million times. And I guarantee you that kid can do a switch flip as well and as big as most pros (obviously not Tiago, or other skaters famous for their switch flips), in fact I'd wager my life savings that he's got a better switch game than someone like Milton.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 06:52:25 AM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #745 on: April 20, 2022, 06:49:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m hating a little bit.
[close]

Nah, his stuff is gross.
[close]

[close]

Well said. I dunno.
[close]

Ok, as someone over 40 who likes Andy and yes, bought the board (not a fan of the graphics, and modified the shape), I will let you in on why he’s popular.

Because I started skating around 85, Grade 4, I think.  It was booming and was cool. I was not. I was perhaps the most unpopular kid at the school.

But as I got into it, read the magazines, I realized that it was a sport for outsiders. You could do it by yourself (which was perfect, as I had no friends until Jr High school). It wouldn’t make me cool, but it allowed me to do a sport with no rules.Make my own fun, and my own tricks.  This is pre-popsicle, beford skating became heavily uniform. All of a sudden, it had lots of rules. Cool tricks (that took a million tries to accomplish, rather than the poetry of a boneless over a curb, which was much more accessible and democratic). Cool clothes, and what became a very rigid mindset that I still see in people who grew up in that era.

If I’m going to generalize, the thrust of the  80’s was about fun (and how creative you could be in its pursuit). The 90’s was about adherence to a form, mastery of tricks. Kind of a polar shift in focus. Video filler in the 80’s shows skaters being weirdos, and having fun. Videos thereafter tended to focus on skaters getting drunk or stoned. Or violent.

Andy for us, reminds us of that more innocent, free time. Before rules and cool guy shit. Gonz is the only one that transitioned and didn’t lose his sense of discovery. Which is why he’s rightly regarded as Skate royalty.

Andy is a nerd, an outcast (because to skate in the 80’s you WERE an outcast, and sometimes beat up for it). We relate to that. Especially an outcast in a sport that used to love outcasts. Now we love people who are increadibly talented, but adhere to ‘cool’ tricks and norms (Ishod, Yuto, most any cookie cutter Street League fare).

Andy consciously knows that is what would get him noticed (he can obviously hang with the best of them in Street and Transition, and could master the tricks) IF HE WANTED.

But he forgoes all that in pursuit of his own personal fun, and his bizarrely creative approach to it.

He is a spirit animal to us aging skaters whose ideals were forged in the 80’s. And that’s why we love him, despite his horrendous bs airs and helmet. Or maybe because he proudly does it, and doesn’t give a shit about optics.

Which caused the tastemakers of skating to basically blacklist him. You can’t get into Thrasher skating street if you have a helmet. So the only avenue left to him was to film with people who looked past his weirdness. For better or worse, it was YouTube skaters who put him on. If you don’t like that, tough shit. Andy had a pro board coming out and the mags wouldn’t let him in. So he found another way, and is arguably more popular because of it.

The modern tight-ass ‘rules and regulations’ skate scene drove Andy to YouTube. That mentality caused this. Not Andy, who just wants to be his weird, soft self.

It skipped a generation or two, but Andy Anderson is the true heir to the 1980s Powell & Bones Brigade era. That's why he's so popular with that crowd, because he feels like maybe what skateboarding would have been if Powell had continued to dominate the skateboard industry into the 90s.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #746 on: April 20, 2022, 07:33:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What do you mean with too floaty?

Can I get those venture out the box tight with their standard bushings or do I need harder bushings ?

Watch some Ben Degros videos about light trucks he describes it better but generally the pop can feel too light and the board doesn’t suck up against the feet as well. Kinda feels like it doesn’t stick. I find certain things easier with a heavy board.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #747 on: April 20, 2022, 07:37:58 AM »
I find Andy does way too many of the same tricks over and over and over to remain interesting. Like he does every discipline and I don’t watch him a lot but I know if he skates transition he will do a varial heel grab for example.

But this is shoes and gear not questions about skaters. I’ve never seen his deck in the wild or sold anywhere so maybe I’m missing it. I watched his Nine Club and he seemed nice enough.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #748 on: April 20, 2022, 07:44:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m hating a little bit.
[close]

Nah, his stuff is gross.
[close]

[close]

Well said. I dunno.
[close]

If I’m going to generalize, the thrust of the  80’s was about fun (and how creative you could be in its pursuit). The 90’s was about adherence to a form, mastery of tricks. Kind of a polar shift in focus. Which is why I never got on board with much of it.

Andy consciously knows that is what would get him noticed (he can obviously hang with the best of them in Street and Transition, and could master the tricks) IF HE WANTED.

Well reasoned cucktard

I think you and I are of very similar vintage, and got boards around the same time. I was too young, and not around enough other people to grasp some of the societal vibes when I was younger, skating was just cool: bones brigade, gleaming the cube, poweredge/thrasher, etc. It was until the early-mid 90s when I got back into it and that was for sure borne of wanting to be different than my peers, enjoying being an other, not wanting to be a ‘jock’, looking for something outside of ‘straight society’. Yes there was a time of inclusivity, and then we as skaters obviously got carried away with tribalism, rules. It went too far.
I love how collective skateboard culture rejects ‘progress’ at times, embraces it at others (meaning trick progression). If this rejection didn’t happen, and everyone went full Nyjah, it would have croaked long ago, like rollerblading or whatever.
It’s been correctly joked about/bitterly griped that skateboarding is just there to sell pants, it definitely sells a vibe. I can totally see how AA appeals, sells a vibe to the ‘misfits’, or something. To me, the deployment of the ‘weird, wacky, creative’ tricks is so constant with dude that the impact is lost, looks like a fucking juggling unicycler.
Now that skating is bigger than ever there is amazing instances of the rejection of ‘straight society’ within skating, and I feel very indebted to those that are keeping it weird, different, true to themselves. It’s rad that we are, collectively, living in a comparatively less toxic time, within skating, more differences are being embraced. Obviously a long long long long long ways to go. And it’s all real easy for me to blather about, I’m borne into a body that would be ‘in style’ within skating, at anytime in it’s history (although now I’m quite old, I am/identify as a cis/man/white/hetero, I’m not going to be prejudged too harshly at most sessions).
Criticism is a tricky one, I feel like that pressure to look for the cool things within skating, helped me. Again, those pressures were modeled by people that looked like me, so the way I felt the ‘pressure’  was with relatively harmless shit, like what pants were/are cool, and trying to get a better kickflip. I wasn’t threatened at the core of my being, so that was nice.
I feel like I’m from a time when it was almost as much about what you weren’t, as what you were, or something, and I love the inclusion that I perceive from the youths (to their peers), now. It will be interesting to watch how these inclusive vibes extend to the culture around skating. I’m not suggesting we are post criticism, but comparatively to ‘my time’, it feels like that. Which makes me feel a little sad/glad/old.
Anyways, it’s not deep, I od on ott shit in this. It’s too rambling and not thought out. It’s funny that a company that seems about as corporate as it gets, within skating, Powell, now sells an expensive board, to people that feel rejected by mainstream skating, and have found their hero/avatar in this person that looks like they really really revel in being the odd duck. ‘Look at me!! I’m on a dbl bike, twirling flames! Look at me, pogo sticking and hula hooping at the same time!’. Or something.
I don’t agree that AA would master modern skating if really he wanted too, his style is not nice, by modern skating standards, and that to me, is why he goes full circus. When Koston would dork, it was with the context that he could undork. AA?, nah

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #749 on: April 20, 2022, 08:25:33 AM »
You can tell what type of old guy skater you're dealing with by whether they love AA or &&.