Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 211064 times)

cosmicgypsies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 628
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1140 on: June 06, 2022, 12:50:18 AM »
Why did Ace have such weird sizing for their trucks above 8" until they released the AF1? In a strange way it kinda makes sense with an 8.35 axle being a sort of middle ground between 8.25 and 8.5, and I do recall the time period prior to 148/144's where Thunder/Indy only had an 8 and an 8.5, but why did Ace opt to do just an 8.35?

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1141 on: June 06, 2022, 01:03:16 AM »
Why did Ace have such weird sizing for their trucks above 8" until they released the AF1? In a strange way it kinda makes sense with an 8.35 axle being a sort of middle ground between 8.25 and 8.5, and I do recall the time period prior to 148/144's where Thunder/Indy only had an 8 and an 8.5, but why did Ace opt to do just an 8.35?

Yeah, I wonder if its something to stand out OR if its to cut down the amount of truck sizes they have to produce in regards to the most common board sizes. It makes it a more versatile truck for skaters in that regard too which is a selling point many of us are on board with.

I'm sure the logic is: Why make a truck that can only really cover ONE "common" deck size at a time when you can cover TWO very well?

SO many 8.25 decks and 8.5 decks are out there. By comparison (if they were to make a 8.25 truck), there are not as many decks that are 8.15 and 8.35. Less valuable to cover that range since it only covers one common deck size (8.25).

The only thing that confuses me is why haven't they produced a 8.63 yet? The 8.35 -> 9 chasm is sort of absurd. Are there really that many more people skating ~6.5 and ~7.0 width boards to produce those two models over ones that cover 8.5 and 8.75 decks?

With how popular wide decks are right now, I'm really shocked they haven't made an 8.63 Classic yet.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1142 on: June 06, 2022, 01:44:34 AM »
The gap between 8.35 and 9 was resolved with the AF1 line, it seems. Good point, though! Such a large gap forever with Ace.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1143 on: June 06, 2022, 02:21:42 AM »
The gap between 8.35 and 9 was resolved with the AF1 line, it seems. Good point, though! Such a large gap forever with Ace.

And only a few months ago with the introduction of the AF1 60s (8.75”). The gap from 8.5” to 9” was still a bit much for about a year with the AF1s albeit not quite as big as from 8.35” to 9” with the Classics. Having a 8,675“ Ace 50 Classic would be awesome but I doubt they’ll ever introduce new sizes for the Classics.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #1144 on: June 06, 2022, 06:59:39 AM »
The problem is people only looking at the axle width instead of the thing that actually matters: hanger width.
The 44 classic (and 55 Af1) is 146mm without an inner speed ring. It's a great 8.25 truck. If you only use a single inner speed ring on each side, you're at about 148mm, that's an 8.5 truck. The 55 classic (and 66 AF1) hanger is 159mm without speed rings, which is basically a 8.75 truck. Make it a 9" with speed rings.
It all makes sense but people kept bitching about needing an 8.5 and 8.75 truck even though it was always there. (The new 155mm 60 is still a great size.)
8.25 up to 9.0 perfectly covered and the only mistake ace made is expecting customers to be smart
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 07:08:21 AM by goodatmeth »

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
« Reply #1145 on: June 06, 2022, 08:00:26 AM »
Who else skated to beach house besides mark suciu in away days? For the life of me I can't remember.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1146 on: June 06, 2022, 08:14:28 AM »
Who else skated to beach house besides mark suciu in away days? For the life of me I can't remember.

They use Space Song in this video

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
« Reply #1147 on: June 06, 2022, 08:36:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They use Space Song in this video
Thanks!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1148 on: June 06, 2022, 08:52:21 AM »
The problem is people only looking at the axle width instead of the thing that actually matters: hanger width.
The 44 classic (and 55 Af1) is 146mm without an inner speed ring. It's a great 8.25 truck. If you only use a single inner speed ring on each side, you're at about 148mm, that's an 8.5 truck. The 55 classic (and 66 AF1) hanger is 159mm without speed rings, which is basically a 8.75 truck. Make it a 9" with speed rings.
It all makes sense but people kept bitching about needing an 8.5 and 8.75 truck even though it was always there. (The new 155mm 60 is still a great size.)
8.25 up to 9.0 perfectly covered and the only mistake ace made is expecting customers to be smart

Not quite. The Classic 55s are closer to 162 Hanger width (when you actually measure the little coned ends to the hanger. There is enough difference between the 60s 9 (about 154mm hangers)  and 66s to make the additional size worth it. The 60s are only a couple of mm narrower than a traditional 159 Indy or Thunder.

While axle is not as important as hanger width on performance it certainly a measurement people use to line up their decks with. I think the Af1 sizes are spot on and a welcome addition.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 09:00:28 AM by Frank and Fred »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1149 on: June 06, 2022, 09:19:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not quite. The Classic 55s are closer to 162 Hanger width (when you actually measure the little coned ends to the hanger. There is enough difference between the 60s 9 (about 154mm hangers)  and 66s to make the additional size worth it. The 60s are only a couple of mm narrower than a traditional 159 Indy or Thunder.

While axle is not as important as hanger width on performance it certainly a measurement people use to line up their decks with. I think the Af1 sizes are spot on and a welcome addition.

My 55 classics and 66 AF1 are 159mm and 160mm with the coned ends but yeah they're supposed to be 162. My Af1 44s are also smaller than advertised. Only my 55 AF1 lows are spot on 146mm.
I agree the 60s are worthy, but people needing separate 8.25 and 8.5 was kinda stupid in my opinion

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
« Reply #1150 on: June 06, 2022, 11:41:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How on earth do you lock into crooks on a ledge. I can slappy them but I have no idea how to pop and lock into those.

Also how do you 5-0, I can get onto the ledge on the tail but inevitably lean forward after a few inches and continue 50/50.

Thanks in advance.
[close]

My recommendation for crook (assuming It's BS) on a ledge is focus on your pop and weight of your front foot. Most have issue with not popping high enough or putting enough pressure.

Be approaching the ledge at a 15 degree angle (almost straight on but not quite) and once you're close enough, pop straight up and let it hang for milliseconds longer than you think and then push all your weight of your front foot on to the nose at a slight angle to lock the front truck in. Aim to have your heel side wheel on your front truck to be on top of the ledge so you can pinch the hangar adjacent to it. Once you lock in, lean back a bit but leave the pressure on your front foot. It's important to put more pressure on your heel of your front foot rather than your toes.

For 5-0, are you leaning back enough? And are you going fast enough to maintain the balance? I find that I need more speed than I want to have to do 5-0s but it works when I suck it up and go faster while leaning back a little bit.

Hope that helps!

Here's a clip where I do a BS Crook to fakie on a box. You can see how I approach and where my weight is to grind it. If ya wanna check it out:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CVeYgALpOf4/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
[close]

Thanks bruh, nice clip!
[close]

Old tip someone told me for crooks that work like a champ: put your popping foot in the heel side pocket and front foot like you're about to do a FS 180. Look at the ledge and line your front shoulder up with where you want to end up. When you pop your board will rotate FS to line up with your shoulder and your truck and body will be at a good starting angle. I ride basically parallel to the ledge and at the last second arc maybe 10 degrees at most.

Once you're locked lean back and focus on keeping your back foot in contact with the board. When you pop out momentarily lighten the nose and lift the front foot and the board will level out perfectly.

Thanks again for the tipps, managed to get a bs crook on a small ledge today.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1151 on: June 06, 2022, 01:40:52 PM »
what was the height on indy lows when they made them? I can't seem to find this anywhere and for some reason I'm really curious.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1152 on: June 06, 2022, 02:16:59 PM »
what was the height on indy lows when they made them? I can't seem to find this anywhere and for some reason I'm really curious.

I think 48

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1153 on: June 06, 2022, 06:20:26 PM »

48.5mm
https://www.longboarderlabs.com/product/independent-trucks-low-stg-11-standard-129mm-silver/

I have a pair of Reynolds Hollows with a cast baseplate, doubt they ever did a forged version of these.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1154 on: June 06, 2022, 09:00:36 PM »
Yup, that's why most of the Indy dudes that rode them went to Thunder 147s since they're fairly close-ish.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1155 on: June 06, 2022, 10:59:27 PM »
Fuck yes!! @Easy Slider stoked for ya!
Super Champion Fun Zone

IpathCats

« Reply #1156 on: June 07, 2022, 06:36:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Should someone start a madness support thread?
[close]

Why start a thread for a condition that has no cure?

Would it be better to try and cure madness by forcing a single setup, or treat it by having like 10 setups?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1157 on: June 07, 2022, 06:40:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Would it be better to try and cure madness by forcing a single setup, or treat it by having like 10 setups?
I've gotten down to three setups. Seems to be a nice manageable number altho I think 5 or 6 could be ok too. Or maybe 7 perhaps 8.......

IpathCats

« Reply #1158 on: June 07, 2022, 06:56:26 AM »
Been considering getting some vulcs again, i used to wear sk8-his all the time but i havent tried them since they updated to the "skate" line. I've never owned a pair of half cabs. How do the "skate" Sk8-his compare to the "skate" halfcabs? I hate this new vans naming system haha.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1159 on: June 07, 2022, 06:57:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I've gotten down to three setups. Seems to be a nice manageable number altho I think 5 or 6 could be ok too. Or maybe 7 perhaps 8.......

Ha yeah, the madness is in having essentially the exact same setup over and over and over again, but all at the same time is something I have been dealing with ever since being able to afford more skate product with shop discounts / wholesale prices, but I like to make the setups different in little ways, eg wheel wear which results in different size, then re shape some, even duro from 92, 95, 97, 99 and 101 Spitfires, depending on what I am going to skate, but it would probably be a whole lot more simple to only have a few setups.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1160 on: June 07, 2022, 07:01:35 AM »
Been considering getting some vulcs again, i used to wear sk8-his all the time but i havent tried them since they updated to the "skate" line. I've never owned a pair of half cabs. How do the "skate" Sk8-his compare to the "skate" halfcabs? I hate this new vans naming system haha.

The "Skate" line really is an amazing upgrade and well worth it if you want a better performing vulc shoe.  Best to try them on in person though as sizing can be a bit funny (often a touch tight) from trying them on, but never got past that with the "Skate" range, including the ones I have bought.

I do have a lot of others to get through first.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1161 on: June 07, 2022, 07:04:11 AM »

Honestly the fit is pretty damn close, but since they're an actual high it really depends on how tight you lace them as they do have more ankle support. For me the Sk8 Hi and the Old School toebox feels a bit different than the Half Cab and Slip on/Authentic/Era. It's shorter and more rounded, but not massively different. One thing with the new line is the foxing tape is really thick and takes a while to break in for flip tricks.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1162 on: June 07, 2022, 07:06:29 AM »
What are y'all with multiple setups doing with them? I can't imagine needing more than one honestly as my abilities are directly tied to predicting how I do something and then doing it a ton of times.

With that said right now I have both my Baker 8.475 and 8.38 setup in an attempt to find the ultimate and it's not proving helpful. The only trick I can't do well on the 8.38 is fakie front nose and to a lesser extent back tails, but I can skate it faster and loft it higher. The 8.475 is better at those tricks, but less stable for 180s.

IpathCats

« Reply #1163 on: June 07, 2022, 07:09:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Honestly the fit is pretty damn close, but since they're an actual high it really depends on how tight you lace them as they do have more ankle support. For me the Sk8 Hi and the Old School toebox feels a bit different than the Half Cab and Slip on/Authentic/Era. It's shorter and more rounded, but not massively different. One thing with the new line is the foxing tape is really thick and takes a while to break in for flip tricks.

which would you say has a wider toe box? which would you say locks your heel in place better?

IpathCats

« Reply #1164 on: June 07, 2022, 07:14:20 AM »
What are y'all with multiple setups doing with them? I can't imagine needing more than one honestly as my abilities are directly tied to predicting how I do something and then doing it a ton of times.

With that said right now I have both my Baker 8.475 and 8.38 setup in an attempt to find the ultimate and it's not proving helpful. The only trick I can't do well on the 8.38 is fakie front nose and to a lesser extent back tails, but I can skate it faster and loft it higher. The 8.475 is better at those tricks, but less stable for 180s.

I have one board for "regular" skating, tricks and such. and then a couple cruiser/fun setups. If i was you, i would go with the 8.38 and just work on your technique for the tricks you're struggling on. 8.38 is easier to find, and if you can skate it faster and pop it higher, id say its worth just working out the kinks on your slide tricks.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1165 on: June 07, 2022, 07:16:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

My vote is for forcing a single setup, even if it's not super exciting. The best setup is the one you're used to, even if the pop/turn/grind/pinch isn't the absolute best it could possibly be.
I basically stopped progressing at all because I've switched gear around for a year. Then went back to what I've been riding before and started progressing again. The limbo of getting used to new gear is just terrible. You're better off only skating a setup you don't even like at all. Just get used to it ONCE and skate. You won't have to think about anything else anymore.

IpathCats

« Reply #1166 on: June 07, 2022, 07:20:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

My vote is for forcing a single setup, even if it's not super exciting. The best setup is the one you're used to, even if the pop/turn/grind/pinch isn't the absolute best it could possibly be.
I basically stopped progressing at all because I've switched gear around for a year. Then went back to what I've been riding before and started progressing again. The limbo of getting used to new gear is just terrible. You're better off only skating a setup you don't even like at all. Just get used to it ONCE and skate. You won't have to think about anything else anymore.

you're probably right......but something is up with these trucks i swear.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1167 on: June 07, 2022, 07:29:45 AM »

My three are a crooked zig zagger 8.6 with soft wheels= cruiser so going a to b (altho honestly this doesn't happen often at all anymore) just skatepark cruise around. Enjoi 7.75 so flatground Manny pads etc and a shaped zero 9 with 55mm wheels more of a skatepark board. I feel them all being so different makes having multiple setups ok. I could probably just setup an 8.25-8.6 normal board again to have just one but I already have all the other stuff so I use it.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #1168 on: June 07, 2022, 08:12:13 AM »
I have multiple setups because sometimes i get it in my head that I want build a certain board that I know I wont really ride, but I like having it. It's like an ever changing project car. I have one board that I skate every day, and then another that's constantly being changed, that I'll ride every once in a while

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1130
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1169 on: June 07, 2022, 09:03:23 AM »

My abilities feel fairly capped at this point, so having multiple set ups gives me different skate experiences and is a lot of fun. I have my main board which is a Polar Popsicle, but I also have a huffer on slightly bigger wheels thats more of a park/ditch board and a twin tail i just set up that's been surprisingly fun. Plus a cruiser I keep in the house for liquor store runs.

To some peoples points, it can throw me off for a session when switching between trucks, but my skating is pretty basic so for the most part I don't lose too much.