Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 211029 times)

HugeBodBoyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1410 on: July 23, 2022, 11:31:14 AM »
Probably been asked and answered a million times...

who makes the best Dunk clone? DC? Lakai? Ipath?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1411 on: July 23, 2022, 01:05:55 PM »
Why do people tend to only hold the razor blade when gripping a deck? It's so much easier to get a good job just using a utility knife with a handle.

bolts the snowman

• Rep: -37
    • follow @nycskatedaily on instagram! avatar image
« Reply #1412 on: July 23, 2022, 01:46:32 PM »
“what’s the best wheelbase?”

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1413 on: July 23, 2022, 02:02:36 PM »
Why do people tend to only hold the razor blade when gripping a deck? It's so much easier to get a good job just using a utility knife with a handle.

I’ve always wondered this too. I figured that maybe ppl don’t have knifes around that much in the US or something.

I’ve used an old Victorinox Swiss army type folding hunting knife with a lockable blade to grip boards since I was a teenager cuz that’s what I had around at that time. I think I’ve sharpened it only a few times and works beautifully. I’ve gripped probably 100+ boards with it.

I don’t think I’ve ever even had a razor blade in my hands. I guess some ppl still use them for shaving and suicides or whatever but they’re not that widely available in Finland I think.

Curbfiend

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1414 on: July 23, 2022, 02:18:22 PM »

Agreed. I like using a utility knife with the snap off blades.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1130
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1415 on: July 23, 2022, 03:39:47 PM »

I tend to feel like I can’t maneuver/get the angle I want with a utility knife. Of course I’ve tried it maybe on time and I’m Sure I could with practice. For me, it’s just easier with just the razor blade, and I always have a couple in my kit. Plus, part of it just feels/looks cool (obviously not a good reason, but still true).

I know people do their grip with pocket knives and shit, I just can’t ever keep a blade sharp enough and I hate rough grip around the edges. Razor blade just works.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1416 on: July 23, 2022, 10:15:26 PM »

I ask this question more than once a month.
I’m skating some dunks currently, and I’d rather stick with these buuuuuuut
Air Jordan 1s are good, maybe even better tbh, but too expensive.
Tiago’s have a lot more going on, the fit isn’t as good for me, but the materials and value seem better than a dunk.
The Tyshawn’s were really good, but then I went on a big vans jag and cannot remember how they fit. But I remember them being supportive, and the flick was nice (narrower in the toe, flick not as good as a dunk).

So…yeah no good answers.
I’ve wanted to try the Manteca’s as a dunk alike, and maybe club c’s? Dunno
There was that nb dunk looking shoe posted somewhere

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #1417 on: July 24, 2022, 10:28:15 AM »
What makes a setup sound bad, rattle or be extremely loud?

I'm riding a girl couch, af1 66, 57mm oski radials f4 99a. No deck rails, no bearing spacers, everything is tight, trucks have about half a thread showing. Just riding around it's so loud and annoying it fully throws me off. Other people confirmed it sounds weirdly loud.

I rode the trucks and bearings before without problems. The wheels do feel kinda extra hard for 99a f4s, but that shouldn't make a rattling sound, right? Can a deck sound that bad?

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1418 on: July 24, 2022, 11:17:26 AM »

I'm riding a girl couch, af1 66, 57mm oski radials f4 99a. No deck rails, no bearing spacers, everything is tight, trucks have about half a thread showing. Just riding around it's so loud and annoying it fully throws me off. Other people confirmed it sounds weirdly loud.

I rode the trucks and bearings before without problems. The wheels do feel kinda extra hard for 99a f4s, but that shouldn't make a rattling sound, right? Can a deck sound that bad?
Maybe one of your bearings ?
I once broke a bearing while putting it in a new wheel.
The lill ring inside broke and it made weird noises. I fixed it with super glue and it still works for 3 months now .
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
« Reply #1419 on: July 24, 2022, 12:27:25 PM »

one of the worst and most annoying sounds is from a loose pivot cup, which does produce a rattling, clacking sound.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1420 on: July 24, 2022, 06:09:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve always wondered this too. I figured that maybe ppl don’t have knifes around that much in the US or something.

I’ve used an old Victorinox Swiss army type folding hunting knife with a lockable blade to grip boards since I was a teenager cuz that’s what I had around at that time. I think I’ve sharpened it only a few times and works beautifully. I’ve gripped probably 100+ boards with it.

I don’t think I’ve ever even had a razor blade in my hands. I guess some ppl still use them for shaving and suicides or whatever but they’re not that widely available in Finland I think.

Agreed. I like using a utility knife with the snap off blades.

I tend to feel like I can’t maneuver/get the angle I want with a utility knife. Of course I’ve tried it maybe on time and I’m Sure I could with practice. For me, it’s just easier with just the razor blade, and I always have a couple in my kit. Plus, part of it just feels/looks cool (obviously not a good reason, but still true).

I know people do their grip with pocket knives and shit, I just can’t ever keep a blade sharp enough and I hate rough grip around the edges. Razor blade just works.

From a shop perspective, as well as just having them around, the variation on a box cutter and other knife type blades always kept going missing, but it seemed like no one would ever take a single razor blade I had in plain sight, so that is what I ended up getting more used to using.  Also I can get a packet of razor blades for very cheap, compared to a knife that cost more, was highly visible and went missing every time I turned my back.

Just another perspective anyway, but before I got used to a small blade, it was a bit awkward and not so safe to use.  Now it is just second nature and I can whip around a board grip job in no time with better results too, but I have gripped a lot of boards over the years now.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #1421 on: July 24, 2022, 06:11:35 PM »

The knife body, being metal, also makes a great surface to run around the outside of the grip.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1422 on: July 24, 2022, 06:56:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

one of the worst and most annoying sounds is from a loose pivot cup, which does produce a rattling, clacking sound.

This, riding around without a pivot cup or a destroyed on is very distinctive and kills your baseplate quickly.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1423 on: July 24, 2022, 10:02:40 PM »

Quote from: off on July 21, 2022, 07:37:19 PM
how do the 480s skate? if truly a dunk alternative, im in

I got lucky and an NB homie sent me a couple pair of 480s. They skate really good. The sole is thinner than it looks in photos. I would say probably similar in thickness to a Dunk sole. The upper is much less padded. Decent padding around the collar, but the tongue is basically not padded. Myself, I much prefer tongues like that. A huge thing I don't like about Dunk SBs is the tongue and where they have the straps. If you do the laces all the way to the second hole then they look all weird like you're sucking them in, and if you do them one hole down the tongue sticks up too high like you're trying to puff them out.

TLDR 480 is kind of a perfect cupsole to skate. Great boardfeel, not too thick, not too thin. If you're looking for a Dunk substitute, the sole is, the upper isn't as padded. Crazy glue the seams and you'll be good. 9/10 Watty fucks wit it. IF they make a Numeric version, it will be amazing.

Here's the pair I skated. (There was a smaller N on top of this one that I popped off.)

In answer to your other question, switching insoles on 1010s is unnecessary. I swapped insoles in the 480, but no need in 1010s at all.

I probably linked this in dumbest way possible, but this conversation was relevant omnthe dunk substitute

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1424 on: July 25, 2022, 11:52:50 AM »

If you are unsure, try a 14.25 wheelbase.

Too narrow = wider wheelbase
Too wide = narrower wheelbase

I thought I was all about 14 wb, but then I tried a 14.38 and settled for a 14.25 (for now).
IG: @flowterspace

biaherl

• Rep: 268
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #1425 on: July 25, 2022, 05:14:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This, riding around without a pivot cup or a destroyed on is very distinctive and kills your baseplate quickly.

Pivot cups are for kitty cats

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1426 on: July 25, 2022, 06:49:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you are unsure, try a 14.25 wheelbase.

Too narrow = wider wheelbase
Too wide = narrower wheelbase

I thought I was all about 14 wb, but then I tried a 14.38 and settled for a 14.25 (for now).

There's good reason why 14.25 is the most common WB among all manufacturers.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 776
« Reply #1427 on: July 26, 2022, 06:34:46 AM »

what are those shoes? is this the infamous pat duffy recs shoe? it kinda looks like chrome spray paint on the sides but it's perfectly aligned with the sole
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1304
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1428 on: July 26, 2022, 08:29:21 AM »
Recently switched back to Indy standards and the baseplate is thicker than I remembered. My 7/8 hardware is barely hanging on and I don't want to crank into the wood. Do you guys use 1 inch with standard indy plates? How much does it stick out?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1429 on: July 26, 2022, 09:38:38 AM »
Recently switched back to Indy standards and the baseplate is thicker than I remembered. My 7/8 hardware is barely hanging on and I don't want to crank into the wood. Do you guys use 1 inch with standard indy plates? How much does it stick out?
Did it for years. Barely sticks out at all maybe one and a half threads. 7/8th = 22.225mm 1'= 25.4 mm

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1430 on: July 26, 2022, 09:41:54 AM »
I use 7/8" Shorty's and Lawn Chair just fine. When you grip the board use a razor to get the grip out of the bolt holes that makes it easier for the bolt to catch. If you can tighten them like 3/4 of the way then wait a bit and do the rest I feel the wood sorta softens up at the bolt head during that time and makes it easier to crank the rest without getting weird grip pimples

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #1431 on: July 26, 2022, 11:03:03 AM »

The last thread is usually just long enough to engage the Nylock. I use this combination all the time and it has never caused problems.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1432 on: July 26, 2022, 11:29:06 AM »
Why don't people like sinking their bolts in?
I've only really seen it with older people (say 35+)and now younger people. (say 24 and under) who I assume are sort of mimicking the older people. Back when i watched 9club Crob would mention it sometimes. Personally I like them way sunken in I even turn a screwdriver in the hole a little bit first to take the edge off the wood. Having bolts sticking up may as well go back to the old dome style ones

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1304
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1433 on: July 26, 2022, 12:19:05 PM »
I've only really seen it with older people (say 35+)and now younger people. (say 24 and under) who I assume are sort of mimicking the older people. Back when i watched 9club Crob would mention it sometimes. Personally I like them way sunken in I even turn a screwdriver in the hole a little bit first to take the edge off the wood. Having bolts sticking up may as well go back to the old dome style ones
I like it even. Sinking in makes me think I'm making the board more brittle or something. I base this off nothing but my imagination but I've been doing it for too long.

Thank you, @manysnakes and @LebowskisRug  for the info

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #1434 on: July 26, 2022, 05:23:09 PM »
I think twisting your grip has something to do with it. 

I often semi tighten them, then over the days following I lock it down tighter. 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1435 on: July 26, 2022, 06:52:26 PM »

I used to use 1" for everything, but then when I got hold of Shortys 7/8" which have the slim nuts, I use those now, as well as tracking down the slim nuts from hardware suppliers so I never really have to worry again.

Nyloc thin hex nut  3/16 UNF  boxes on ebay for not a whole lot.

It really depends on the bolts too, some with smaller heads just work way more easily for me, but others with really big heads on the deck bolts are often difficult to get into the board and I see a lot more people with them sticking up a lot, which bugs me to no end as I prefer to have the bolts at the same as or just ever so slightly under the grip level with Shortys or similar brands that have smaller heads.

I do see boards that people have used normal nuts on small head 7/8" bolts and buried the deck bolts into the board a bit, but that also works well enough, no stress cracks or other issues with the wood.  As long as the deck bolt is through enough of the nyloc, it shouldn't come loose.

Other people I know only use the bigger head bolts as they don't want them digging into the wood at all and find they tighten down the smaller ones too easily, but I guess it is down to getting used to where to get them to.

I always have a big thick handled phillips screwdriver handy when setting up boards, to do the gripping line on the board, then pushing into and twisting in each deck hole to get rid of excess grip tape and then finally using the big rounded handle end to press the grip around the deck bolts once they are in, which also helps to make sure bolts are where I want them.

Even just using the deck nut end on a skate tool around each bolt on the grip can be a help too, just push down, don't twist or anything.  I only ever hold the deck bolt still from the grip side and do up the nut from the truck side to prevent any grip tape movement on top of the board too, which definitely helps.

At the end of the day, setting up a board is down to personal preference, but I don't like to feel my bolts at all when on the board, so choice of deck bolt based on the size of the heads is more important than the brand of bolt or anything else to me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1436 on: July 26, 2022, 08:11:13 PM »
When I started skating in the late 90's boards seemed to pressure crack a hell of a lot more than they do now. It was super common to see a bunch of pressure cracks around your truck and I saw a lot of decks snap along the cracks. That's also why people rode softer risers for a really long time. I'm guessing that woodshed quality and consistency improved. It was worse with Ventures, which had more angular baseplate points near the bottom.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1437 on: July 26, 2022, 10:47:57 PM »
I feel like I am struggling more with heelflips since I have Indy 149s with stock bushings, which are surfier than the Lurpivs I had before that. Do you think tightening the trucks is a solution?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1438 on: July 26, 2022, 10:58:53 PM »
I feel like I am struggling more with heelflips since I have Indy 149s with stock bushings, which are surfier than the Lurpivs I had before that. Do you think tightening the trucks is a solution?

No harm, it's the easiest fix to try rather than going down the gear madness rabbit hole. Tightening up my trucks has done wonders for improving my straight flip trick consistency for the most part, 180 flip tricks not so much.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1439 on: July 26, 2022, 11:59:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No harm, it's the easiest fix to try rather than going down the gear madness rabbit hole. Tightening up my trucks has done wonders for improving my straight flip trick consistency for the most part, 180 flip tricks not so much.

I always think trying harder bushings is a better solution than tightening trucks. Even if it is just a harder top bushing. My homie is on super loose Ace Trucks, which are really fun for surfing around but they definitely mess with the pop.
IG: @flowterspace