Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 210943 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3900 on: August 30, 2023, 12:16:42 PM »
Expand Quote
So I fell on my hip 10 days ago doing a flatground fakie heel. Didn‘t think much of it but the hipbone got super swollen and now I have a large concussion. Hipbone is also still swollen / protruding. However, it only „hurts“ when I try to sleep on that side.

I can walk no problem and have skated a few times since but very carefully (mostly slappies) as I am afraid falling on it again.I have also walked/run a fair bit (approx. 10 km per day most days) which probably didn‘t help in the healing process, but didn‘t hurt.

I am a bit clueless if I should show it to a doctor or not, and if not, if I should really take a break from all activities or just keep on doing my thing (skate and walk/run) and it will pass anyway.

Any thoughts?
[close]
Is pretty obvious you should see a doctor

I agree. Only skeevy stoner hippies skip a chance to show a Dr your lower half
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

DERBY

• Rep: 259
« Reply #3901 on: August 30, 2023, 12:17:41 PM »
How puffy is the tyshawn low? I don’t really skate or like super puffy/bulky shoes. Biggest I’ve gone recently is like a half cab.

Trying take Advantage of a sale this weekend and wanna try some adidas. So I’m going between tyshawn and Nora. I assume tyshawn is the better show but Nora looks nicer to me being a slimmer profile.

not as puffy as half cabs. the padding shrunk and formed around my foot quickly. mind you it's a very narrow toed shoe

breezy_again

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 50
  • Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation
« Reply #3902 on: August 30, 2023, 06:03:24 PM »
It’s a very specific wheel question but does anyone happen to know what durometer Matt Reason’s Physics 63mm wheels were? I’ve always been curious if anyone on here had any experience with them. As a side note clearly they were made well before any F4 or Dragon formulas existed but are there any current wheels out there that have much the same or similar feel?
I’ve wondered if they would have been rock hard 101a or a bit more forgiving 97/98/99a. To me it would make sense if they had been poured a little softer for him but I know you can get away with 101a on rougher surfaces in the larger sizes.
Any help would be appreciated, cheers!

i mentioned this thread to my friend and took pics of his board from back in the day for yall. sadly no durometer info. he said maybe 97

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3903 on: August 30, 2023, 11:51:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just take them with me into the shower after skating, works really well for me. You just leave them drying in the shower and you'll have a fresh hat ready for the next session.
[close]

This is my method as well. 
[close]

yup, sometimes i'll lightly shampoo them, not the bill. i let them dry outside though my showers to damp.
I just throw them into the washing machine with the rest of my clothes, never had a problem (30⁰C)
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3904 on: August 31, 2023, 05:15:45 AM »
Wonder why Lakais has 2 different XLK soles
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #3905 on: August 31, 2023, 03:06:37 PM »

They actually have three out currently and my guess is something for everyone in the cupsole realm. From the most boardfeel to feeling most protected.  They've done prior versions in the past with the GuyMar, Fremont, and Griffin models but discontinued all of those versions

A) Lightweight cupsole: Brighton, Griffin Gass Telford, and Terrace (GG) - Thin & flexible

B) Middleweight cupsole: Telford XLK, Altantic (VA) [debuted this sole with Vincent Alvarez] - Medium thick but still flexible

C) Heavier cupsole: Fade, Evo XLK, Mod Cup, Trudger [debuted on Simon Bannerot' s shoe I think] - Thicker and more tech but still moderately flexible. Seems to be their thickest and techest sole out

Preview all 3 they offer:
Super Champion Fun Zone

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3906 on: September 01, 2023, 01:00:02 AM »
I really like the Lakai Atlantic with that XLK outsole. But something is weird with Lakai in Europe. For example the Telford Low costs 120€ which is way too much. And some Lakai models I never see here in Germany, not even on the internet. Even Skatedeluxe as a huge shop only has a few Lakai shoes and I feel there is generally a distribution problem in Germany with certain brands. Anyone on here might know, what is going on?

Anyway I am looking for alternatives.
IG: @flowterspace

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #3907 on: September 01, 2023, 01:50:37 AM »
I really like the Lakai Atlantic with that XLK outsole. But something is weird with Lakai in Europe. For example the Telford Low costs 120€ which is way too much. And some Lakai models I never see here in Germany, not even on the internet. Even Skatedeluxe as a huge shop only has a few Lakai shoes and I feel there is generally a distribution problem in Germany with certain brands. Anyone on here might know, what is going on?

Anyway I am looking for alternatives.

For some reason Zalando has a huge selection of Lakai shoes, my friend who's obsessed with Telfords buys a lot from them. I bought a pair of Telford lows for 35 euros before summer. Not the ideal place to buy skate shoes but the prices are really good.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #3908 on: September 01, 2023, 01:59:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They actually have three out currently and my guess is something for everyone in the cupsole realm. From the most boardfeel to feeling most protected.  They've done prior versions in the past with the GuyMar, Fremont, and Griffin models but discontinued all of those versions

A) Lightweight cupsole: Brighton, Griffin Gass Telford, and Terrace (GG) - Thin & flexible

B) Middleweight cupsole: Telford XLK, Altantic (VA) [debuted this sole with Vincent Alvarez] - Medium thick but still flexible

C) Heavier cupsole: Fade, Evo XLK, Mod Cup, Trudger [debuted on Simon Bannerot' s shoe I think] - Thicker and more tech but still moderately flexible. Seems to be their thickest and techest sole out

The thin soles (A)  is shit. It is like barefoot feeling and i don't like it for skating. I need to put two insoles otherwise it hurts. The sole also wears out super fast.
The (B) sole is better and i like it.
I have never seen models with the thickest (C) sole, but i guess they are gonna be the best for your feet.

As for the distro in Europe - there are plenty of Lakais in Bulgaria and Greece, don't know why they are not largle available in Germany.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3909 on: September 01, 2023, 05:12:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn, that was a proper answer. Gnarred.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3910 on: September 01, 2023, 03:38:22 PM »
Happy to offer a helpful answer @moonordie !!

I've personally tried the Telford with sole A and now sole B (latest runs) and the Atlantics with sole B. Night and day difference in feel and quality between the two soles.

That sole A is so floppy and thin @ El Freegano so I did the same with some Telfords I had. When I tried to skate them, they were so thin and mushy off the bat, I couldn't do it. Turned to chillers before I passed them on to someone else.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #3911 on: September 01, 2023, 04:56:25 PM »
Are the Asics aaron pros tts? considering getting some from atlas!

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 176
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #3912 on: September 01, 2023, 06:07:40 PM »
Expand Quote
It’s a very specific wheel question but does anyone happen to know what durometer Matt Reason’s Physics 63mm wheels were? I’ve always been curious if anyone on here had any experience with them. As a side note clearly they were made well before any F4 or Dragon formulas existed but are there any current wheels out there that have much the same or similar feel?
I’ve wondered if they would have been rock hard 101a or a bit more forgiving 97/98/99a. To me it would make sense if they had been poured a little softer for him but I know you can get away with 101a on rougher surfaces in the larger sizes.
[close]

i mentioned this thread to my friend and took pics of his board from back in the day for yall. sadly no durometer info. he said maybe 97

Send $1 for stickers and INFO to 3210 Production ave Suite B, Oceanside, CA 92054

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3913 on: September 02, 2023, 12:20:17 AM »
How's the sizing on fastbreaks?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3914 on: September 02, 2023, 06:57:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Send $1 for stickers and INFO to 3210 Production ave Suite B, Oceanside, CA 92054

Very nice picture upload, thank you breezy_again. That old set of Physics wheels look even better/more appealing all aged yellow and worn a bit :)

Ray C. Usery it would of been nice to have sent off for those stickers and promotional material back in the day. You never know, some of those bits might resurface again someday in the future.

All the best!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1089
« Reply #3915 on: September 02, 2023, 07:19:07 AM »

They run large. Several of us bought pairs when they were so cheap through PacSun and multiple people (myself included) ended up with shoes too large for their feet. I wear a 9.5 in Nike but apparently even the 9 was too big in Fastbreaks, I should have ordered an 8.5. I would say order down by at least a half-size.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3916 on: September 02, 2023, 01:56:52 PM »

I find them true to size and they don't run big like other Cons (CTAS, One Star, etc.). If you don't normally have to size down in any shoes that are usually TTS, then you should be fine with TTS in them

I'm personally surprised anyone sizes down, but everyone's feet are different. 
Super Champion Fun Zone

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 642
« Reply #3917 on: September 02, 2023, 03:30:37 PM »
I also run Fastbreaks true to size.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #3918 on: September 03, 2023, 07:35:54 AM »
As a fellow slightly on the taller side with some long legs, will skating ventures feel better than aces due to the diff way they effect wheelbase? Or does it not make that big of a diff?

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #3919 on: September 03, 2023, 01:16:25 PM »
Has any one skated the forum 84 adv? Some good sales right now but that midsole looks thicc.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #3920 on: September 03, 2023, 02:22:04 PM »
As a fellow slightly on the taller side with some long legs, will skating ventures feel better than aces due to the diff way they effect wheelbase? Or does it not make that big of a diff?

in my experience, trying to do some theoretical effective wheelbase +/-x truck brands, etc etc, didn’t work, for me. too many other variables, tail length, wheel size, fingers of flat, and on.
ventures are nice, i like them more than ace, i like ace too. i am a short person, and i prefer venture, by aways.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #3921 on: September 03, 2023, 02:55:29 PM »
Has any one skated the forum 84 adv? Some good sales right now but that midsole looks thicc.

I found them way too thick at first but after one or two good sesh they started feeling pretty good. Not any less stiff, but I got used to them. If you like stiffer shoes like I do, I'd say give them a go. If you prefer your shoes to be flexible and have good boardfeel then I'd stay clear tho.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3922 on: September 03, 2023, 04:02:08 PM »

Depends on the deck honestly and what pop feel you like. I prefer not having a super short deck so I tend to stick with trucks that allow me to ride 32" decks well and historically cast Venture haven't felt great on stuff that long but oddly forged ones have.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3923 on: September 03, 2023, 04:38:25 PM »
To me legs and wheelbase is much less important versus how the truck actually performs…..

It’s likely the correct answer is Indy….

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3924 on: September 03, 2023, 05:40:47 PM »

Pretty much the two opposite ends of the truck scale, going from Ace 55s to Venture, guessing either 5.8 or 6.1s for size comparison?

As you had said, you are on an 8.38 now, but 8.5 to 8.75 in the past so that also can be different board to truck size, feel, etc.

I just set up an 8.75 Polar board with 14.375 wb on the basic Venture 6.1 trucks and the thing actually feels way more fun than I would have thought.  Had the trucks on something else before that, which just wasn't doing it for me, but I thought I should mix it up and see how it goes.  All second hand / used parts, just figuring out what works and what doesn't work.

Other longer wb boards also feel ok with these trucks too, like the DLX 8.75 shape / white eagle which has 14.62 wb, but I prefer the more mellow / less steep kicks on anything I ride which might have helped it work for me.

Longer legs definitely help there for me, I am guessing, but it is also down to what you are used to more than anything.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3925 on: September 04, 2023, 04:33:05 AM »
So I fell on my hip 10 days ago doing a flatground fakie heel. Didn‘t think much of it but the hipbone got super swollen and now I have a large concussion. Hipbone is also still swollen / protruding. However, it only „hurts“ when I try to sleep on that side.

I can walk no problem and have skated a few times since but very carefully (mostly slappies) as I am afraid falling on it again.I have also walked/run a fair bit (approx. 10 km per day most days) which probably didn‘t help in the healing process, but didn‘t hurt.

I am a bit clueless if I should show it to a doctor or not, and if not, if I should really take a break from all activities or just keep on doing my thing (skate and walk/run) and it will pass anyway.

Any thoughts?

Following up on this because a few pals have kindly replied to my post. I went for an examination today and the swollen part sticking out is the bursa bag that filled up with liquid upon hitting the ground. I got some plasters but otherwise it should go away by itself. If not, it needs to be punctuated. I can do sports in the meantime. Thanks again.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3926 on: September 04, 2023, 05:00:48 AM »
Expand Quote

Any thoughts?
[close]

Following up on this because a few pals have kindly replied to my post. I went for an examination today and the swollen part sticking out is the bursa bag that filled up with liquid upon hitting the ground. I got some plasters but otherwise it should go away by itself. If not, it needs to be punctuated. I can do sports in the meantime. Thanks again.
Nice to see that you're good G
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3927 on: September 04, 2023, 05:49:09 AM »
Just started skating pair. Walked around few days to soften them up little and switched insoles to Superfeet. I like them, flick is good and while boardfeel is not the best the impact protection is. Only negative is a little bit of heel raise but other than that very solid shoe.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #3928 on: September 11, 2023, 10:39:38 AM »
Anyone order from warehouseskateboards?

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202