Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 210995 times)

backside_frontside

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -300
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3930 on: September 11, 2023, 11:14:01 AM »
Anyone order from warehouseskateboards?
I remember from the Sale Gear thread that some people had their cc info compromised after ordering from there. I haven’t ordered from there in a few years but I never had any issues when I did. YMMV

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #3931 on: September 11, 2023, 11:16:38 AM »

Yes, I bought some bearings from them during a sale earlier this year. Everything was legitimate.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #3932 on: September 11, 2023, 09:50:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I remember from the Sale Gear thread that some people had their cc info compromised after ordering from there. I haven’t ordered from there in a few years but I never had any issues when I did. YMMV

I think you're remember Skate Warehouse that had the CC info breach. I don't recall Warehouse Skateboards having that issue
Super Champion Fun Zone

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -300
« Reply #3933 on: September 12, 2023, 05:29:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I think you're remember Skate Warehouse that had the CC info breach. I don't recall Warehouse Skateboards having that issue
Oh yeah you’re right, my mistake. Thanks for the correction

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3934 on: September 13, 2023, 12:28:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

No problem! They have similar names
Super Champion Fun Zone

Bill Salt

« Reply #3935 on: September 13, 2023, 11:12:35 PM »
this one

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3936 on: September 14, 2023, 06:45:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I ordered from warehouse earlier this year when I found they had some hats and other products mispriced and it actually shipped.

They definitely don't advertise or do sales as much as a tactic or SW. Not many deals to be found, but if you are looking for something from an established brand, willing to pay retail price, and on the East Coast, then it's good.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3937 on: September 15, 2023, 06:31:05 AM »
What are the differences between Powell Flight Decks and Santa Cruz VX Decks? Any advantages to Flight Decks over VX?

I know some heavier send skaters who ONLY skate like 9"+ VX Decks because they are unable to break them. they retail for about $120 here in Canada.

Powell Flight Decks are more like $150-160 CAD for a team popsicle (more for an Andy Anderson shape...) and I don't really see any major advantage here because a VX deck already seems pretty indestructible + light. 

I could see there being differences in the way that the boards age and the way the nose / tail wears down, how steep it stays, maintains pop, spring etc. but seems to me like not worth the extra $30-40.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3938 on: September 15, 2023, 07:13:54 AM »
What are the differences between Powell Flight Decks and Santa Cruz VX Decks? Any advantages to Flight Decks over VX?

I know some heavier send skaters who ONLY skate like 9"+ VX Decks because they are unable to break them. they retail for about $120 here in Canada.

Powell Flight Decks are more like $150-160 CAD for a team popsicle (more for an Andy Anderson shape...) and I don't really see any major advantage here because a VX deck already seems pretty indestructible + light. 

I could see there being differences in the way that the boards age and the way the nose / tail wears down, how steep it stays, maintains pop, spring etc. but seems to me like not worth the extra $30-40.

Only rode the Flight in 8.25 and VX in 8.5 so I'll comment on the shapes more than the durability since I don't huck anymore. Flight decks are mellower especially around the kicks, pretty medium across the middle. VX have a very pronounced concave especially on the nose and tail, you get that signature wave when looking at the side profile.

In terms of stiffness VX beats out the Flight decks, pretty unforgiving but not as bad as a fresh DSM Impact deck which are painfully stiff for a few sessions.

My biggest complaint with both is they razor tail faster than an average 7-ply, but still remain stiff and snappy despite that.

Given the choice I'd go with VX over Flight decks, because they are readily available and you can snag some on discount from 303 or TGM, I've almost never seen Flight decks on discount online.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #3939 on: September 15, 2023, 07:23:58 AM »
not surprised. I had a feeling you are paying more for the name of powell rather than an increase in performance / technology.

My one friend is like 6'4" / 240 lbs and I feel like the VX would be a great board for him because he is even breaking 9.5"+ Krooked Shape boards on flat ground tricks.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #3940 on: September 15, 2023, 08:17:27 AM »
I liked my flight deck but it razor’d as fast, arguably quicker than any other board so not worth it.  If you’re a board breaker, they are a good option….

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3941 on: September 15, 2023, 09:02:49 AM »
I liked my flight deck but it razor’d as fast, arguably quicker than any other board so not worth it.  If you’re a board breaker, they are a good option….

For board breakers I'd recommend the Impact decks, painfully stiff for a start but they razor at the rate of a regular 7-ply. Since Almost / Madness / Enjoi went under you can find them on clearance if you don't mind questionable graphics.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

theblandest

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3942 on: September 15, 2023, 03:38:34 PM »

A buddy of mine took a flight deck to the lower shin on a hardflip and it fractured his bone. Take that how you will

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #3943 on: September 15, 2023, 09:04:31 PM »
Please berate me if this has already been discussed in detail, but anyone have experience with strangelove? Very curious about their shapes and i really like a few guys on the team.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #3944 on: September 16, 2023, 06:01:41 AM »
Please berate me if this has already been discussed in detail, but anyone have experience with strangelove? Very curious about their shapes and i really like a few guys on the team.

my last has been years ago, i’ve kept it because i adore the graphic. wish i had bought more when i could have.
they used ps stix. some shapes were deliberately funky, almost early welcome levels of different. the popsicle i have, is shaped exactly how i’d like a skateboard to be: flat, mellow, some taper from front to back.
did i mention the graphics are the best?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3945 on: September 16, 2023, 03:50:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

my last has been years ago, i’ve kept it because i adore the graphic. wish i had bought more when i could have.
they used ps stix. some shapes were deliberately funky, almost early welcome levels of different. the popsicle i have, is shaped exactly how i’d like a skateboard to be: flat, mellow, some taper from front to back.

Sounds about right from seeing them around.

@Sativa Lung can tell you all about them too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3946 on: September 16, 2023, 11:01:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sounds about right from seeing them around.

@Sativa Lung can tell you all about them too.

Since StrangeLove use PS Stix some of their sizes (8.5 for example) may use that WKND shape that's super blunted nose and short square-ish tail. Not sure how many of their sizes use that type of mold, but I do recall StrangeLove offering quite a few decks similar to the FA/WKND style that some love and others loathe.

Definitely check the specs or see if IRL photos of the board can be found if you're not in a shop
Super Champion Fun Zone

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 842
« Reply #3947 on: September 17, 2023, 01:08:49 AM »

Wutchu wanna know bud?

I've had about 10-12 of them. Got really into them right before they got popular and the hypebeast kids temporarily turned them into the dunks of skateboard decks. They use PS and cliver is very involved in the shaping and dimensions they use, it's not just off the shelf shit in most cases. My favorite is the short 8.25 they run with a stubby little tail, but the 8.12 and 8.5 are both nice too. The dims and stuff should be listed on the site but just beware that they list length with concave like PS so the tip to tip will be shorter.

Also if you send cliver a SASE with $2 in it he'll send it back absolutely stuffed with stickers and a handwritten thank you note. After all these years, still one of the best and most creative dudes in skating and I wholeheartedly encourage you and anyone else who reads this to support them.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 07:30:38 PM by Sativa Lung »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #3948 on: September 17, 2023, 04:08:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For board breakers I'd recommend the Impact decks, painfully stiff for a start but they razor at the rate of a regular 7-ply. Since Almost / Madness / Enjoi went under you can find them on clearance if you don't mind questionable graphics.

i wonder jacuzzi will offer something similar because it is the same woodshop?

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
« Reply #3949 on: September 21, 2023, 12:14:31 AM »
Has anyone successfully fixed axle slip? I've tried the old-school solution of putting Bones spacers into my Bones wheels and cranking them down tight. I went for a quick morning push around town and now the board feels sluggish (because there's way too much preload). Probably because the spacers aren't wide enough? I also miss the wiggly-wiggly feeling and bark of loose wheels on the axle.

A man on YouTube alleges to fix his slipping Ventures with a propane torch and hammer. It's obviously really nice of him to put the video up to help others, but I don't really see how it's a permanent solution:

Does anyone happen to remember those Titan Ti-Lites with the little screw in the center of the axle? Think it would be worth the effort to replicate it? I don't have access to a drill press, just a drill, so it makes me apprehensive to ruin a bunch of bits trying to drill through a titanium axle. Has anyone done this before?

i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

vxbrandon

• Rep: -6
« Reply #3950 on: September 21, 2023, 12:35:56 AM »
Do you guys really care about your board being a couple mm off?
Like skating 8.5 Instead of your usual 8.38. or an 8.125 instead of an 8.25.
Found this board on sale cheaper than my usual. The shape/size is a tad bit off.
Would you go for the board with the good deal and say fuck it? Or spend $20 more for ol trusty.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #3951 on: September 21, 2023, 12:38:47 AM »
Found this board on sale cheaper than my usual. The shape/size is a tad bit off.
Would you go for the board with the good deal and say fuck it? Or spend $20 more for ol trusty.

If it fits the trucks I wanna run, +/- any less than .25in is fine wit me
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #3952 on: September 21, 2023, 07:42:58 AM »

I find I care less about the width than the WB and as long as its fatter than the trucks ( cant stand hot rods)
Like Primitive has a really good deal for the mystery boxes, and I really like their 8.38" size because it has a short wb at 14-1/8", while the 8.5" from them runs a 14.5" wb which i am not a huge fan of. i can hardly tell the difference in width, but the difference in wb feels very noticeable to me. so yeah since I could find a deal, I just found something that worked well for me out of what was available on sale :) good luck!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #3953 on: September 21, 2023, 08:10:53 AM »

Not really. When you start getting to the fractional measurements, everything is pretty squishy. I can move between 8 and 8.25" without any issues whatsoever.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:00:37 PM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2215
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #3954 on: September 21, 2023, 10:29:48 AM »
To echo what some of the others above have said, I've got a BBS/Deluxe 8.38 & an 8.5 right next to each other, and I'll be damned if I can feel a significant diff between them. One's got about .12 more wheel base, the other's got about .12 more width. Only noticeable variation my shoe-clad feet can detect is the very slight difference in the concave/kicks, as one is a II in the stack & the other is a IV. Even that feels pretty subtle to me, though.
I spent many a "therapy" hour cleansing myself of product madness and have come to believe that we all have our own ideal dims for how we typically ride, but most of us will still perform well within a half inch tolerance either way.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3955 on: September 21, 2023, 10:49:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
To echo what some of the others above have said, I've got a BBS/Deluxe 8.38 & an 8.5 right next to each other, and I'll be damned if I can feel a significant diff between them. One's got about .12 more wheel base, the other's got about .12 more width. Only noticeable variation my shoe-clad feet can detect is the very slight difference in the concave/kicks, as one is a II in the stack & the other is a IV. Even that feels pretty subtle to me, though.
I spent many a "therapy" hour cleansing myself of product madness and have come to believe that we all have our own ideal dims for how we typically ride, but most of us will still perform well within a half inch tolerance either way.

Those decks are noticeably different to me. The DLX deck is not only narrower, but has significantly more tapered kicks, a longer nose, and shorter tail. It skates smaller than it measures, flicks super fast thanks to the taper, and usually comes with mellower kicks.

The BBS version is more squared, with a slightly shorter nose, and longer tail. It definitely feels like a bigger board to me but not in a bad way, just different.

So, the dimensions do matter but I don't think about it in terms of difference in width, but how the overall dimensions make the board feel. It's mostly in hindsight of "hmm, maybe this thing kinda made it feel that way, which was cool", but I'm not sitting there blaming my lack of abilities on the dimensions.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #3956 on: September 21, 2023, 02:26:58 PM »
Does anyone happen to remember those Titan Ti-Lites with the little screw in the center of the axle? Think it would be worth the effort to replicate it? I don't have access to a drill press, just a drill, so it makes me apprehensive to ruin a bunch of bits trying to drill through a titanium axle. Has anyone done this before?

wasn't familiar with them so i had to look up those titan ti-lites and yeah it certainly seems like a way to fix axle slip as long as it goes all the way through like theirs seems to, otherwise i feel like someone might end up with a lurpiv kingpin situation. only thing i'm noticing about those vs venture is that it doesn't look like the axle is exposed at all on the backside/kingpin side? i'm only looking at one ebay listing so the photos might not be the best example though

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2215
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #3957 on: September 21, 2023, 03:01:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Those decks are noticeably different to me. The DLX deck is not only narrower, but has significantly more tapered kicks, a longer nose, and shorter tail. It skates smaller than it measures, flicks super fast thanks to the taper, and usually comes with mellower kicks.

The BBS version is more squared, with a slightly shorter nose, and longer tail. It definitely feels like a bigger board to me but not in a bad way, just different.

So, the dimensions do matter but I don't think about it in terms of difference in width, but how the overall dimensions make the board feel. It's mostly in hindsight of "hmm, maybe this thing kinda made it feel that way, which was cool", but I'm not sitting there blaming my lack of abilities on the dimensions.
My bad for the unintentional miscommunication, Ol' Ruggy.
What I meant to convey is that BOTH of the boards were DLX brands (1 krooked, 1 real) as made by BBS, as opposed to some sort of made in China "complete" scenario from either brand.
An apples to apples camparo, as it were.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3958 on: September 21, 2023, 03:38:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
My bad for the unintentional miscommunication, Ol' Ruggy.
What I meant to convey is that BOTH of the boards were DLX brands (1 krooked, 1 real) as made by BBS, as opposed to some sort of made in China "complete" scenario from either brand.
An apples to apples camparo, as it were.

To me, woodshop and concave come first above everything else, so a different woodshop with concave that I am not used to is going to be a definite NO from me.

Anything from BBS and especially anything DLX is going to be a whole lot closer to each other, but then skating a board with a 14.5 wb on the 8.38 compared to skating a board with a 14.25 wb on the 8.5 board, I can really feel the difference.

Others are often not quite so picky with anything, but trying a slightly different board can be a lot of fun too, just to see, so who knows - maybe you will like it a lot, maybe you will like it less, but then at least you know what you do want or what you don't want for future deck purchases.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3959 on: September 24, 2023, 10:26:48 AM »
Why can I not buy a Drehobl popsicle?