Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 210996 times)

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1329
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3960 on: September 24, 2023, 11:42:15 AM »
Why can I not buy a Drehobl popsicle?
I have no idea if this is the answer but maybe because of Dan's Rig? That shape was ghost along with all the other DLX shapes early in the pandemic but when production ramped back up, they put out two different graphics maybe a season or two apart. All of a sudden there was a glut of them and they seemed to have sat. If that shape has been sitting on the shelves for over a year, maybe that's skewed demand for Drehobl product? No shade on that shape either, it's pretty great.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #3961 on: September 24, 2023, 12:37:51 PM »
To whoever asked about noticing the difference in mm on deck sizes.  Yes and no, for me.

I've been on a steady diet of BBS 8.5s for years now (Polar, Black Label, Heroin, Primitive, Antihero, Real, Krooked, etc.) and strayed to 8.38 and 8.6 a couple times here and there. I notice it because I'm so adjusted to 8.5 shapes that the slight mm in width or WB feels different thsn what I'm already used to.

8.25 legitimately feels cramped to me after riding 20+ 8.5 decks over the years. 8.0 and below would feel like a fucking tech deck under my feet.

That said, 8.25 is the absolute smallest I could go and still adjust somewhat comfortably for all the skating I do. I skate transition, flat ground, manual, ledge, some drops/gaps, etc. and something smaller (even 0.25 of an inch) than my current setup would feel off in any of these areas. At least until I adjust if it's not too much of an impediment to my existing muscle memory

Super Champion Fun Zone

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #3962 on: September 24, 2023, 01:06:52 PM »
What are the differences between Powell Flight Decks and Santa Cruz VX Decks? Any advantages to Flight Decks over VX?

I know some heavier send skaters who ONLY skate like 9"+ VX Decks because they are unable to break them. they retail for about $120 here in Canada.

Powell Flight Decks are more like $150-160 CAD for a team popsicle (more for an Andy Anderson shape...) and I don't really see any major advantage here because a VX deck already seems pretty indestructible + light. 

I could see there being differences in the way that the boards age and the way the nose / tail wears down, how steep it stays, maintains pop, spring etc. but seems to me like not worth the extra $30-40.

Where do you find giant VX decks?
The widest ones I’ve seen are the Creature Gardner and Santa Cruz Winkowski popsicle. They’re wide enough, but lacking in WB, kicks and length.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3963 on: September 24, 2023, 03:16:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have no idea if this is the answer but maybe because of Dan's Rig? That shape was ghost along with all the other DLX shapes early in the pandemic but when production ramped back up, they put out two different graphics maybe a season or two apart. All of a sudden there was a glut of them and they seemed to have sat. If that shape has been sitting on the shelves for over a year, maybe that's skewed demand for Drehobl product? No shade on that shape either, it's pretty great.

I was thinking that there hasn't been a Drehobl board in over a year anyway, mainly because there are a lot of other rad new up and comers on the team and the older dudes often just fade away, or get an easy retirement, so to speak.  DLX look after their guys and don't just kick them off, but they don't get their name on a board anymore if they are not really doing much, or their presence is not really relevant anymore, eg Drehobl sort of fades away but Cardiel still sells out every board they do.

I have a few popsicle Drehobl boards from a while ago, still stoked on him and his skating, but I think due to injuries and other things, he hasn't skated much in quite a while and is doing more woodworking than anything else - food display / cutting boards and the like.

The last Drehobl board in a popsicle shape was the short 8.5 from the Spring 2020 drop, named "Gibson".

https://krookedskateboarding.com/spring-2020/

Then as said a couple of his shaped board in 2022, like the Spring drop "Cresant" board being the last one maybe?

https://krookedskateboarding.com/spring-2022/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #3964 on: September 25, 2023, 09:48:57 AM »

I love the dude, but let's be realistic about the type of skater who is actively seeking out a Drehobl deck in late 2023.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3965 on: September 25, 2023, 10:16:23 AM »
A 37 year old Dad that only skates curbs, ledges, and manual pads of course!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3966 on: September 25, 2023, 06:51:14 PM »
What is the use case for smaller softer wheels?

Darkroom did 50 and 52mm 90a and 52mm 95a, which doesn't fit the needs of technical skating, cruising or ATV. 52mm 95a kinda makes sense but anything smaller doesn't since tiny wheels are terrible at maintaining speed.

Powell Dragons are their own thing since their formula is good enough to justify 52mm 93a in a skinny wheel profile.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

breezy_again

• Rep: 50
  • Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation
« Reply #3967 on: September 25, 2023, 06:59:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I was thinking that there hasn't been a Drehobl board in over a year anyway, mainly because there are a lot of other rad new up and comers on the team and the older dudes often just fade away, or get an easy retirement, so to speak.  DLX look after their guys and don't just kick them off, but they don't get their name on a board anymore if they are not really doing much, or their presence is not really relevant anymore, eg Drehobl sort of fades away but Cardiel still sells out every board they do.

I have a few popsicle Drehobl boards from a while ago, still stoked on him and his skating, but I think due to injuries and other things, he hasn't skated much in quite a while and is doing more woodworking than anything else - food display / cutting boards and the like.

The last Drehobl board in a popsicle shape was the short 8.5 from the Spring 2020 drop, named "Gibson".

Then as said a couple of his shaped board in 2022, like the Spring drop "Cresant" board being the last one maybe?

there's this one named two face

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #3968 on: September 25, 2023, 07:55:50 PM »
For those that skated the 808, how did you guys break in the shoe. I have been walking in them for about a week and they still feel stiff?

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #3969 on: September 25, 2023, 08:52:55 PM »
For those that skated the 808, how did you guys break in the shoe. I have been walking in them for about a week and they still feel stiff?

You no break in 808, 808 break you.

They won't stop feeling stiff

« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 11:31:05 PM by Fartknocker415 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3970 on: September 25, 2023, 09:47:51 PM »
What is the use case for smaller softer wheels?

Darkroom did 50 and 52mm 90a and 52mm 95a, which doesn't fit the needs of technical skating, cruising or ATV. 52mm 95a kinda makes sense but anything smaller doesn't since tiny wheels are terrible at maintaining speed.

Powell Dragons are their own thing since their formula is good enough to justify 52mm 93a in a skinny wheel profile.

I know some people put them on a cruiser type setup like a Zip Zinger for just lazy rolls, not really needing to get anywhere fast, but not having normal harder wheels and they didn't want big cruiser wheels on there either.

Some of the tech type boards also benefit from softer wheels on crusty ground where people don't want to slide, eg just skating flat in a carpark or road, where bigger wheels don't allow for flat ground flip type tricks as well.

Overall I tend to agree, softer and smaller wheels are not such a good combination, but I have quite a few of them on setups for beginners / kids, as well as the completes that come with those softer wheels, which help them learn and don't slip out on much at all, so they are a little safer in slippery indoor parks and ramps, as well as give them a bit less drama as they tend not to stop on anything like harder wheels do, eg sticks, rocks, or anything else.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3971 on: September 25, 2023, 11:22:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

?
Pretty much this 👆
I'd say a solid month of everyday use and you'll feel a little breaking in
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3972 on: September 26, 2023, 07:41:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

?
[close]
Pretty much this 👆

I felt the same way about the 1010. I initially thought that I hated them, but after wearing them for a month or so as "chillers", they turned into one of the best shoes I ever skated.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3973 on: September 26, 2023, 08:05:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

?
[close]
Pretty much this 👆
[close]

I felt the same way about the 1010. I initially thought that I hated them, but after wearing them for a month or so as "chillers", they turned into one of the best shoes I ever skated.
After skating 808 for almost a year I feel 1010 like Authentics. Love both shoes, can't wait to try 480 and my curiosity is only getting bigger regarding 600
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

pops

• Rep: 244
« Reply #3974 on: September 26, 2023, 11:15:43 AM »
Anyone tried the "new" Dane 1 yet? I think they extended the wheelbase slightly and made the board a hair shorter. Curious because I love the og Dane 1 and will definitely another one but not sure if it feels the same anymore.  :(

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3975 on: September 26, 2023, 02:13:27 PM »
Anyone tried the "new" Dane 1 yet? I think they extended the wheelbase slightly and made the board a hair shorter. Curious because I love the og Dane 1 and will definitely another one but not sure if it feels the same anymore.  :(
The Oski Dane1 from this season is probably 14.38. I haven't seen it in person and I see it listed as the old wb mostly with a few places showing the 14.38. I'm guessing those are the places that measure every time or knew about the change and checked the newest drop. I bought a couple of them from last season recently and that's probably it for me for the Dane. There are plenty of other shaped decks with that kinda wheelbase with better noses out there.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3976 on: September 26, 2023, 02:51:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Nice!

I didn't look too hard, but what drop was this one in?

Still looks fairly current, in stock in quite a few places, but I just don't see a mention of it in the catalogs that I did bring up.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3977 on: September 26, 2023, 03:07:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice!

I didn't look too hard, but what drop was this one in?

Still looks fairly current, in stock in quite a few places, but I just don't see a mention of it in the catalogs that I did bring up.
It's from Fall 22 drop 2 just FYI

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3978 on: September 26, 2023, 03:16:24 PM »

It's from Fall 22 drop 2 just FYI

https://krookedskateboarding.com/fall-2022/

That's maybe the only one that didn't come up before, but of course there it is.

Thanks!!

:)

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 313
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3979 on: September 27, 2023, 09:53:31 AM »
why are fs disasters scary as hell/harder to do once learning bs disasters? anyone experience this? lol
my transition skills are limited btw but i had fs disasters for a while now. recently unlocked bs disasters and loving them, but can't for the life of me do a single fs one in a sesh

#post666 #hellride

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3980 on: September 27, 2023, 10:13:03 AM »
why are fs disasters scary as hell/harder to do once learning bs disasters? anyone experience this? lol
my transition skills are limited btw but i had fs disasters for a while now. recently unlocked bs disasters and loving them, but can't for the life of me do a single fs one in a sesh

#post666 #hellride

Opposite for me, FS are my go-to safety trick. The key is hang a bit more toe off for the front 180 and twist once you leave the coping.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #3981 on: September 27, 2023, 10:29:17 AM »
Expand Quote

#post666 #hellride
[close]

Opposite for me, FS are my go-to safety trick. The key is hang a bit more toe off for the front 180 and twist once you leave the coping.

Samesies. I feel most in control on FS disasters. I can do them backside too, but I have to work up to them literally every session, they never stick. No idea why, once I get one I can replicate them and even think to myself "oh yeah, this is how to do them", but for some reason I can't keep them from session to session.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3982 on: September 28, 2023, 04:18:28 AM »

Not a question but this makes me sad.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3983 on: September 28, 2023, 06:42:56 AM »
"You're a legend and all, but only Tom gets a pro model. Best we can do is a colorway."
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Barack Hussein

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3984 on: September 28, 2023, 11:41:08 AM »
This might be super dumb - but can you just take an insole from a shoe that you already skated and switch it into a brand new shoe to skip some of the break in? Any disadvantages to taking that route?

I'm not sure if insoles really like 'wear out' like the rest of a shoe or if they pretty much just stay good.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3985 on: September 28, 2023, 12:09:43 PM »
This might be super dumb - but can you just take an insole from a shoe that you already skated and switch it into a brand new shoe to skip some of the break in? Any disadvantages to taking that route?

I'm not sure if insoles really like 'wear out' like the rest of a shoe or if they pretty much just stay good.

I do it all the time. The downside would be that the insole is potentially worn out, but on the other hand, it could be perfectly "broken in" for your needs.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3986 on: September 28, 2023, 03:40:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I do it all the time. The downside would be that the insole is potentially worn out, but on the other hand, it could be perfectly "broken in" for your needs.

For shoes that are a little too tight, stiff or otherwise would give you blisters, pain and misery from new, using an old worn in insole really helps there, so when the shoe is nicely worn in or even on its way out, putting in the new insole can help to give it a little more support and keep the shoe going a bit longer as well.

Obviously if the sole is worn out, it is game over, but quite a few people have done this in the past and it has worked well to break in new shoes and keep older shoes going.

Some insoles are good for many pairs of shoes over and over, but some are almost done before the shoe itself is through.  Depends on the brand and I guess what the insole is made of too.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #3987 on: September 29, 2023, 03:28:10 PM »
I love rotating insoles around to different shoes. Especially when I find brand X has a removable insole that I enjoy. I'll keep them until they're dust usually. My favorites are Etnies STI, State Footwear, and Emerica G6 insoles.

They allow you to break in new shoes quicker (fit and comfort is usually better) and squeeze a few drops out of some shoes that usually would be ready to trash like MBrimson said.

Here's a list of insoles I've used from brands that last long enough to move from shoe to shoe in no particular order:

Es: Energy Foam

Nike SB/Cons: React, Lunarlon, Zoom Air

Etnies: STI Pro Foam

Emerica: G6 (removable insole, only present on their G6 vulc models)

State Footwear: standard vulc insole

Vans: Ultracush, Popcush, Ultracush 3D

Alternatives I've either not tried or tried with less than stellar success

Lakai: DeluxLite/LuxLite

Hours is Yours: Goddess insoles (the newest ones)

Globe: Nitrolite, Lux Shockbed

Last Resort AB: Cloudy Cush (the new revised ones)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 03:36:30 PM by DarkPools »
Super Champion Fun Zone

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #3988 on: September 29, 2023, 10:33:52 PM »

#post666 #hellride

I'm fairly consistent at both directions, but doing BS disaster on bigger stuff takes more guts for me. Personally, I think my FS are kinda gross but I toss one on the biggest QP most sessions just to retain them.

What's tripping you up?
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3989 on: September 30, 2023, 04:05:10 PM »
I love rotating insoles around to different shoes. Especially when I find brand X has a removable insole that I enjoy. I'll keep them until they're dust usually. My favorites are Etnies STI, State Footwear, and Emerica G6 insoles.

They allow you to break in new shoes quicker (fit and comfort is usually better) and squeeze a few drops out of some shoes that usually would be ready to trash like MBrimson said.

Here's a list of insoles I've used from brands that last long enough to move from shoe to shoe in no particular order:

Es: Energy Foam

Nike SB/Cons: React, Lunarlon, Zoom Air

Etnies: STI Pro Foam

Emerica: G6 (removable insole, only present on their G6 vulc models)

State Footwear: standard vulc insole

Vans: Ultracush, Popcush, Ultracush 3D

Alternatives I've either not tried or tried with less than stellar success

Lakai: DeluxLite/LuxLite

Hours is Yours: Goddess insoles (the newest ones)

Globe: Nitrolite, Lux Shockbed

Last Resort AB: Cloudy Cush (the new revised ones)

It is funny with some shoes, at least trying on way too many shoes in skate shops or where I used to work, just to see what they are like, but I definitely could have used some of the insoles from various shoes over the years, way more than the shoes themselves.

What insoles were in the Koston shoes, cause they were amazingly thick and sponge like???  Maybe twice as thick as the other lunarlon insoles in Cons and Nike shoes, but in the same colour.

The G6 insoles are another one that come to mind, that were easily accessible with lots of shoes on clearance so it was almost cheaper just to buy the shoes for the insoles and give away the shoes with something else in them.

Both of those I never did go through with it, but it always interests me to pull out insoles and check / compare them.

Most recently the Last Resort looked pretty good, much like the Huf and Gravis insoles from way back when, but also the Habitat and Diamond shoes, which all resembled the first version of the Vans insoles, the thicker rubber feel material before popcush or ultracush or any of the ones out now.