Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 211036 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4050 on: October 12, 2023, 02:54:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dunno if I should ask this in sale gear but does anyone have a line on some cheap but not shitty completes for kids? Thinking of picking a couple up for the toys 4 tots box at work.
[close]
I know you said cheap, but don't miss this opportunity to flex on the other parents by dropping off a couple Quasi completes. https://quasiskateboards.com/collections/frontpage/products/euro-phade-complete-8
[close]

Tempting, but I want to get like 3-4 so price does matter somewhat. I was hoping dwindle would be having a fire sale and they kind of are, but TYS shut down checkout until they finish moving to their new location. Tactics has some decent prices ones so I might just do that, but I figured I'd ask around first.

Not sure about in other places besides Australia, such as the US now (as I haven't looked) but the Element completes that came down to AU$20 here (RRP AU$100+) that I picked up a number of to pass around / have for kids to use have actually been really good and held up well.  If Element products are still on ridiculous cheap sales, this might be an option too.

Dwindle completes were decent too, but they were still twice the price of those other completes and don't seem to be on clearance anything like some of the other Dwindle products.

I think the market for budget completes has really come a long way, with most brands now having a decent board, good trucks with soft bushings, slightly softer wheels and quite reasonable parts now, but checking some of their own sites for certain brands as well as known clearance shops, you might find some interesting things.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4051 on: October 12, 2023, 06:39:21 PM »
@Sativa Lung - bless your heart

Element ones are pretty cheap, you can sign up for their mailing list and they give you a 1st purchase discount code but I'm not sure if it still stacks on sale items.

SWH's Daily Dose can get pretty low if you check in daily, they have site wide sales which stack with their clearance items, check during holidays and are likely going to have one during Halloween.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 08:08:28 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2215
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 12:06:16 AM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #4053 on: October 15, 2023, 03:19:19 AM »
Accel Slim vs 1010 Tiago experiences?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4054 on: October 15, 2023, 04:00:58 AM »
You're comparing a shoe that pretty much everybody says sucks vs a shoe that pretty much everybody loves.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #4055 on: October 15, 2023, 04:13:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You're comparing a shoe that pretty much everybody says sucks vs a shoe that pretty much everybody loves.

The 1010 is hated, really? Why is that?

I was just watching some reviews (YouTube) and they all were good.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4056 on: October 15, 2023, 04:14:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

You got it all backwards
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #4057 on: October 15, 2023, 05:29:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
You got it all backwards

Haha the accel is hated?! I thought it’s the skate shoe everyone agrees on?!?

I‘m so confused!

Why is it not good?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #4058 on: October 15, 2023, 05:37:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
You got it all backwards
[close]

I‘m so confused!

Why is it not good?

People LOVE the idea of the Accel, specifically how it was 2010 and before (likely even earlier than that for a rough cut off line) due to its popularity early on for being a solid shoe.

Tiago - speaks for himself and the shoe is no different.

Accel Slim that Es created in 2014/15 when they rejoined the market is widely seen as a cheap, flimsy version of the OG Accel. And the Accel OG has its own issues in its current mold/fit since 2014

Again, people love the nostalgia of ÉS and Accel, but the quality of models they make right now is all over the place: some things done well, others done poorly. Ironically, their modern flagship staple (Accel Slim) is a half baked design that even Vans Skate vulcs can outlast, and that's saying something because Vans have never been durable
Super Champion Fun Zone

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4059 on: October 15, 2023, 07:24:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
You got it all backwards
[close]

I‘m so confused!

Why is it not good?
[close]

People LOVE the idea of the Accel, specifically how it was 2010 and before (likely even earlier than that for a rough cut off line) due to its popularity early on for being a solid shoe.

Tiago - speaks for himself and the shoe is no different.

Accel Slim that Es created in 2014/15 when they rejoined the market is widely seen as a cheap, flimsy version of the OG Accel. And the Accel OG has its own issues in its current mold/fit since 2014

Again, people love the nostalgia of ÉS and Accel, but the quality of models they make right now is all over the place: some things done well, others done poorly. Ironically, their modern flagship staple (Accel Slim) is a half baked design that even Vans Skate vulcs can outlast, and that's saying something because Vans have never been durable

i really wish wade didn’t make the accel slim look so decent.

the shocking thing about the slim for me is how they felt less padded than most vulc shoes. very minimal protection.
hole the first day in the upper. skated ok tho.

1010 is one of the nicest shoes i’ve skated.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4060 on: October 15, 2023, 08:59:20 AM »
If you have to go with an eS shoe go for the Swift 1.5

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 97
« Reply #4061 on: October 15, 2023, 11:12:44 AM »
Anybody ever try these Straye slip-on/slippers? I need a house slipper with more support than what they usually offer and I saw these

https://straye.com/collections/ventura-mule

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #4062 on: October 15, 2023, 11:31:17 AM »
anyone know a good way to get rid of the dumb little embroidered patch that’s always on the back of Butter goods pants/shorts? I have a pair of green carpenter shorts from them that I hardly wear because of the silly butt patch and id like to remove it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4063 on: October 15, 2023, 02:33:21 PM »
anyone know a good way to get rid of the dumb little embroidered patch that’s always on the back of Butter goods pants/shorts? I have a pair of green carpenter shorts from them that I hardly wear because of the silly butt patch and id like to remove it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
id gently go at it with a sharp xacto knife
or a seam ripper tool
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #4064 on: October 15, 2023, 02:36:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
id gently go at it with a sharp xacto knife
or a seam ripper tool
that’s kind of what i figured. thank you! they always manage to have some kind of dumb little design on a perfectly good pair of denim. :/

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #4065 on: October 15, 2023, 02:59:55 PM »
I bought the es accel slim for really cheap. Skated them today the first time and think they skate really good. Not sure how durable they are.

Also ordered the 1010‘s. I heard from a friend they are too hard to skate (for him).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4066 on: October 15, 2023, 05:28:18 PM »
I bought the es accel slim for really cheap. Skated them today the first time and think they skate really good. Not sure how durable they are.

Also ordered the 1010‘s. I heard from a friend they are too hard to skate (for him).

I feel like personal experience with shoes is very different from one to another, as well as one very well worn in pair of shoes on its last legs compared to even a brand new pair of the same shoes straight out of the box.

Most shoes that hold up and last longer will often feel too stiff or tough from the start, with the shoes that are often perfect straight out of the box often not holding up half as long overall, but this is just a generalization too - every shoe can be different for the individual.

I like the feel of soft thin vulc shoes, so trying on even some of the old worn in cup soles I have, they feel too stiff and solid for me.  Others try on a brand new pair of the shoes I usually skate and ask how are my feet not completely ruined or how am I still able to walk after wearing the shoes I do for as long as I have.

That is just the different experiences with what could be the same comparisions of shoes, so see how you go on those ones and then adjust or change out the insole if needed, or try the other ones when they arrive for comparison.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Aquatic Dinosaur

« Reply #4067 on: October 15, 2023, 08:09:34 PM »
I bought some accel slims, I think after one of those TJ VX parts, and they were the puffiest shoe I’ve seen first hand in a while.  Disappointed but I was hyped on TJ and es at the time so it’s whatever

Trail

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4068 on: October 16, 2023, 11:25:55 AM »
Any of the last resort shoes run on the wider side?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #4069 on: October 16, 2023, 11:30:41 AM »
I'll add to my above post: I skated at least 4-5 accel slims and owned and wore (but didn't skate) almost 10 at least over the years.  Early on, I liked the shoe and swapped in a good insole to make hem more protective/comfortable. That's how they worked for me until one day they didn't provide enough support/fit comfortably and I needed to main something like a Marana or a Joslin.

I didn't find the Accel Slim particularly durable, and it was quite thin of a sole, but for some people that works. They want quality of skating well for a shorter time (Accel Slim) rather than breaking in a stiffer shoe and skating okay to well over longer (Tiago 1010). Which, is totally valid. The build quality is not world class on many es models nowadays, but still gets the job done. So, if it works for ya, more power to ya!

Super Champion Fun Zone

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
« Reply #4070 on: October 17, 2023, 09:11:59 PM »
I´m an old ass guy and out of the loop in the real skate world. Watching skatevideos I get the feeling that NB numeric has surpassed Nike SB as the most popular skate shoe brand. I personally like NB better even though I don´t mind skating nike at all. Since my skating nowadays consists of empty solo park sessions I don´t know if NBs following really is bigger now. Probably also depends where you live. Any thoughts?
nike is probably more popular overall (due to streetwear guys, sneakerheads etc.) but from what i've seen NB and nike SB are about equal popularity with skaters
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4071 on: October 17, 2023, 10:17:12 PM »
my question:

which current pro, skates the smallest setup

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #4072 on: October 18, 2023, 03:09:40 AM »
Bashinsky's been on 7.5 since forever.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4073 on: October 18, 2023, 05:26:35 AM »
Aleka Lang skates a board that looks fucking miniature, even next to size 12 DC’s and bigger than big boy pants

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 842
« Reply #4074 on: October 18, 2023, 05:30:10 AM »

I've only worn vm001 but they're not too skinny and they're suede vulcs so they stretch out a little. The leather ones took a few weeks to loosen up and were pretty uncomfortable until then, but I was mostly wearing them as dress shoes rather than skating them.

I found a couple heart supply and element completes on eBay for the toy bin. Thanks guys.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 776
« Reply #4075 on: October 18, 2023, 05:46:54 AM »

vm003s feel wider than vm001s in the same size. more space in the vm003s, but not enough to go half size down imo
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #4076 on: October 18, 2023, 07:07:26 AM »
my question:

Is Louie Barletta current? He skates a 7.5", but also he's somewhere between 48-60 years old, depending on the day.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #4077 on: October 18, 2023, 07:09:12 AM »
Expand Quote
I´m an old ass guy and out of the loop in the real skate world. Watching skatevideos I get the feeling that NB numeric has surpassed Nike SB as the most popular skate shoe brand. I personally like NB better even though I don´t mind skating nike at all. Since my skating nowadays consists of empty solo park sessions I don´t know if NBs following really is bigger now. Probably also depends where you live. Any thoughts?
[close]
nike is probably more popular overall (due to streetwear guys, sneakerheads etc.) but from what i've seen NB and nike SB are about equal popularity with skaters

I feel like I usually see a good mix, but that Nike is still probably a plurality of the skate shoes I see locally. It probably helps that the local shop is one of the big Nike dealers and that they regularly stock Dunks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4078 on: October 18, 2023, 07:10:59 AM »
Accel Slim MSRP @ $120 vs. Tiago 1010 MSRP $145 (Canadian $)
Creager shoe $170!! wow! hahaha im sorry that is just wildly expensive for what you are getting there! cant believe people are paying that!

I have skated the recent builds of Es and lots of NB# and its like clear as day the construction and materials on NB# is superior
theres just no way sole tech has the same sort of producing power that those giant companies do and you can see and feel it in the quality of the shoes.

The Es Accell OG has a very durable sole, but it has like zero board feel, so when you go over to a slim it makes more sense - it definintely feels like a more current shoe. I would only consider buying Accel Slim @ $60 and still I could find Nike SB, Vans, Cons, probably even some NB for that price range on sale. i think you would have a better time finding a less expensive NB# model or just look for a 1010 on sale.

The board feel (in my opinon) is way better on NB# soles but they are not mega long lasting by any means. i have never had a problem blowing sides or laces out.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4079 on: October 18, 2023, 07:44:36 AM »
Expand Quote
my question:

[close]

Is Louie Barletta current? He skates a 7.5", but also he's somewhere between 48-60 years old, depending on the day.

i mean bachinsky isn’t current either.
 maybe rodrigo? everyone else has sized up to at least 8 i think.