Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 210995 times)

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4110 on: October 28, 2023, 10:12:09 PM »
who has skated the palace boards, specifically those with the longer wb? i love short tails. i don’t like longer boards. these seem fun, but i always tease others about buying off of dimensions, and yet, here i am
My ex got me one for my bday few yrs ago, I hated that thing as I like 14-14.25” wb… It was ok to skate our indoor bowl with vert wall but fliptricks were pain in the ass, I gave it away after few sessions.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4111 on: October 29, 2023, 06:15:39 PM »
Anyone ever ordered the DGK ghetto box with the 3 mystery decks and 3 grip for $100....$125 shipped? Anyone got a dgk discount code to bring the price down any by chance? Is it worth it? How is their wood....not familiar with who they use but maybe ps stix?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1329
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4112 on: October 29, 2023, 07:45:24 PM »
Anyone ever ordered the DGK ghetto box with the 3 mystery decks and 3 grip for $100....$125 shipped? Anyone got a dgk discount code to bring the price down any by chance? Is it worth it? How is their wood....not familiar with who they use but maybe ps stix?
I seem to remember people ordering those around the end of the year/X-mas sales out of the US sale thread so maybe search DGK in there. According to Kalis (and others but he straight up came on here once to defend their wood) they use BBS and so they should be as good as the next brand that uses them. As far as shapes go, I would have no idea but they have pretty standard dims if I recall correctly.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4113 on: October 29, 2023, 08:21:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I seem to remember people ordering those around the end of the year/X-mas sales out of the US sale thread so maybe search DGK in there. According to Kalis (and others but he straight up came on here once to defend their wood) they use BBS and so they should be as good as the next brand that uses them. As far as shapes go, I would have no idea but they have pretty standard dims if I recall correctly.

Yes BBS and fairly normal shapes, but they were doing China wood for a minute (maybe more so the lenticular series), so they could be those ones they are getting rid of / clearing out.  I guess that is the unfortunate thing with any "Mystery" box hey?!?

What shape in particular, or you getting a few / have options?

I have seen / had 8, 8.1, 8.25, 8.38 and 8.5 which are all pretty much the same as Baker shapes and wood if you needed a comparison there.

https://dgk.com/en-au/products/100-dgk-skate-ghetto-box

They have dimensions listed on some or all of their boards too:

https://dgk.com/en-au/collections/pro-decks/products/mr-boo-8-06-skateboard-deck

Board Size: 8.06” / Length: 31.85” / Wheelbase: 14.31” / Nose: 6.75” / Tail: 6.54”

https://dgk.com/en-au/collections/pro-decks/products/grillz-quise-8-1-skateboard-deck

Board Size: 8.1” / Length: 31.85” / Wheelbase: 14.31” / Nose: 6.75” / Tail: 6.54”

https://dgk.com/en-au/collections/pro-decks/products/santa-de-oro-fagundes-8-25-skateboard-deck

Board Size: 8.25” / Length: 31.85” / Wheelbase: 14.31” / Nose: 6.75” / Tail: 6.56”

https://dgk.com/en-au/collections/pro-decks/products/midnight-club-bilyeu-8-38-skateboard-deck

Board Size: 8.38” / Length: 32.22” / Wheelbase: 14.5” / Nose: 6.98” / Tail: 6.48”

They all look about right, from what I can recall.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jsettle

« Reply #4114 on: October 30, 2023, 03:59:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yes BBS and fairly normal shapes, but they were doing China wood for a minute (maybe more so the lenticular series), so they could be those ones they are getting rid of / clearing out.  I guess that is the unfortunate thing with any "Mystery" box hey?!?

What shape in particular, or you getting a few / have options?

I have seen / had 8, 8.1, 8.25, 8.38 and 8.5 which are all pretty much the same as Baker shapes and wood if you needed a comparison there.

https://dgk.com/en-au/products/100-dgk-skate-ghetto-box

They have dimensions listed on some or all of their boards too:

https://dgk.com/en-au/collections/pro-decks/products/mr-boo-8-06-skateboard-deck

Board Size: 8.06” / Length: 31.85” / Wheelbase: 14.31” / Nose: 6.75” / Tail: 6.54”

https://dgk.com/en-au/collections/pro-decks/products/grillz-quise-8-1-skateboard-deck

Board Size: 8.1” / Length: 31.85” / Wheelbase: 14.31” / Nose: 6.75” / Tail: 6.54”

https://dgk.com/en-au/collections/pro-decks/products/santa-de-oro-fagundes-8-25-skateboard-deck

Board Size: 8.25” / Length: 31.85” / Wheelbase: 14.31” / Nose: 6.75” / Tail: 6.56”

https://dgk.com/en-au/collections/pro-decks/products/midnight-club-bilyeu-8-38-skateboard-deck

Board Size: 8.38” / Length: 32.22” / Wheelbase: 14.5” / Nose: 6.98” / Tail: 6.48”

They all look about right, from what I can recall.

Yo! Thanks for providing all those dimensions of their shapes. Appreciate all the info!

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4115 on: October 30, 2023, 07:10:00 AM »

can anyone confirm the location of this hubba in clip 3 ? i always heard it was "in bryan herman's backyard" but overthinkingskatevideos says it was actually the owner of Pharmacy skateshop's house which kinda makes more sense. I imagine it was just really close to where Bryan was living or something and thats where that rumour got started. always loved seeing clips of that thing!

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4116 on: October 31, 2023, 05:10:33 AM »
in the comments:
Donny [Donovan] owned the house, but rented it to Herman at one point, it originally had a warehouse in the backyard to hold pharmacy’s online store inventory

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #4117 on: November 01, 2023, 09:09:59 AM »
Are the etnies joslins ok for running? I want to try running and I'm not gonna get super expensive shoes when I might only do it a few times.
Alternatively, all I have are vans rowans and half cabs.

*And is there some skate/run hybrid shoe that's good for both? That would be a better investment for me. Maybe some thick NB# shoe like the tiago?

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #4118 on: November 01, 2023, 09:12:28 AM »

can anyone confirm the location of this hubba in clip 3 ? i always heard it was "in bryan herman's backyard" but overthinkingskatevideos says it was actually the owner of Pharmacy skateshop's house which kinda makes more sense. I imagine it was just really close to where Bryan was living or something and thats where that rumour got started. always loved seeing clips of that thing!

Definitely the Pharmacy guys house... but yeah Herman and all those dudes that rode for Pharmacy grew up near there, that's kinda why they rode for the shop

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4119 on: November 01, 2023, 09:35:25 AM »
Are the etnies joslins ok for running? I want to try running and I'm not gonna get super expensive shoes when I might only do it a few times.

*And is there some skate/run hybrid shoe that's good for both? That would be a better investment for me. Maybe some thick NB# shoe like the tiago?
Dude go to a Nike outlet and get proper running shoes. Running in a skate shoes is as dumb as skating on running shoes.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #4120 on: November 01, 2023, 10:00:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Dude go to a Nike outlet and get proper running shoes. Running in a skate shoes is as dumb as skating on running shoes.
It's about trying out, not going all in. Buying running should would be pretty stupid at this point.
Skating in their running shoes wouldn't be dumb either for someone trying out skating for the first time. (Rolling around)

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #4121 on: November 01, 2023, 10:18:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
It's about trying out, not going all in. Buying running should would be pretty stupid at this point.
Skating in their running shoes wouldn't be dumb either for someone trying out skating for the first time. (Rolling around)

I don't think skating in running shoes is dangerous for your feet in the way running in skate shoes could be, though

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4122 on: November 01, 2023, 10:42:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

I don't think skating in running shoes is dangerous for your feet in the way running in skate shoes could be, though

i think running is great. running shoes of course are better, but you can run in whatever.
i’ve run in timberlands. not ideal. running, regularly, in improper footwear is asking for injury.
now walking on the other hand….a brisk 1 hour will accomplish much of what you seek. you can walk in whatever. regular walks>running for me, for weight loss, mental health, less impact (which helps me be able to skate), and arguably walking can be better for heart health, vo2 max, and some other stuff. but i’m not a trainer.
this reminds me to walk more, and post here less

skate shoes that i’ve run, purposefully in, just the ave pros, and i recommend.

rikki

• Rep: 290
« Reply #4123 on: November 01, 2023, 10:43:10 AM »
I used to play tennis in skate shoes and shit was alright.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4124 on: November 01, 2023, 01:34:38 PM »
You can absolutely run in skate shoes to see if it's for you. The importance of footwear and its impact on injury risk, or rather mitigation, is wildly overstated when it comes to running. Just make sure whatever shoes you wear are laced up tightly but still feel comfortable — and don't overdo it on your first run. Chances are your stamina is going to be ok if you skate regularly, but your musculoskeletal system won't be used to running and might be overstressed rather quickly. Err on the safe side and cut a run a bit short rather than overexert yourself. Other than that, it's just running. If you're not in it for athletic performance purposes, there's not too much you could do terribly wrong, despite various cottage industries trying to tell you differently.

jsettle

« Reply #4125 on: November 03, 2023, 10:00:38 AM »
Anyone currently or recently rode mini logo blanks? They have some on their site for 24 bucks right now. Are they any good? Are the painted ones better than the natural wood grain? Any positive and negatives to them from people who ride or have rode them? I hear they use the same exact wood they use for the non flight powell decks too which i cant speak for either. But with powells legacy in skating i figure they would be some what decent quality...or i could be wrong

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #4126 on: November 04, 2023, 03:46:21 AM »
Anyone currently or recently rode mini logo blanks? They have some on their site for 24 bucks right now. Are they any good? Are the painted ones better than the natural wood grain? Any positive and negatives to them from people who ride or have rode them? I hear they use the same exact wood they use for the non flight powell decks too which i cant speak for either. But with powells legacy in skating i figure they would be some what decent quality...or i could be wrong
They good if you like flat boards

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4127 on: November 04, 2023, 04:00:19 AM »

nope
minilogo blanks are made of birch
they just suck if you're not a beginner

jsettle

« Reply #4128 on: November 04, 2023, 06:27:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

nope

Thanks for that info! I guess that explains why i haven't seen one in the wild in 10+ years lol. Ill stay away from it.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4129 on: November 04, 2023, 07:54:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

nope
[close]

Thanks for that info! I guess that explains why i haven't seen one in the wild in 10+ years lol. Ill stay away from it.

i’m not sure this is true, that they suck. some folks that REALLY care about boards enjoy mini logo, the most common reason being that they are flat. which i like.
i haven’t tried a mini logo.
most people seem to judge the quality of a board, by how long it lasts, or maybe that’s just what i hear about. that is not my main concern, or really even in the list. i grew up skating in a time period where concave and manufacturing practices could have a board last 30 minutes of skating. and oh how do i miss stomping thru world decks and learning tricks. and the pop. lovely. now, the current industry fave, bbs, churns out these very concaved swoopy shapes, that i wish would break. but don’t. and then i’ve got some everlasting board that’s not fun. sick. love it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4130 on: November 04, 2023, 08:28:03 AM »
The birch ones are appropriately titled : 'mini logo birch skateboard'......

The search feature on this board works pretty well see:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113648.msg4058693#msg4058693

From the ones i've seen, I'd say they are about 70% as good as a BBS board, this is super subjective but if you like the dimensions and they fit you, and the price, it might be ok for you. 

The woodshop thread is also another good thread to read because you can see who makes what and then hunt around for some deals. 

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #4132 on: November 04, 2023, 09:33:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

nope

Nah, you are wrong.

Mini Logos boards are the same as Powell's wood boards.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4133 on: November 04, 2023, 09:36:06 AM »
https://youtu.be/jmB8NwrVD54?si=_VozbLo-RJ12WwY2

exactly. and i value that persons opinions. significantly.

haven’t gotten one yet.

jsettle

« Reply #4134 on: November 04, 2023, 09:55:44 AM »

exactly. and i value that persons opinions. significantly.

haven’t gotten one yet.

That is the guy who used to run DOA right? He seems to think highly of the decks which make me think they are pretty good. Also i looked on the site and they are all maple, not birch like said above. I normally only skate a deck no longer than 2 months, sometimes 3 just on weekends so im not too worried about a deck lasting "forever"

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #4135 on: November 04, 2023, 10:30:57 AM »
It seems a lot of us tend to keep a “beater” complete in the trunk, mainly for having a board to skate at anytime while keeping a main setup in the house to avoid things like warping, frozen or mushy bushings, peeling/ bubbling grip etc.
My question is this: How many of you feel like you skate better on the old beat up neglected setup?
For me if I’m having trouble landing something I’ve been trying for too long I grab the old setup out of the trunk and within a few tries I can usually handle what I’ve been working on and go home happy.

Also to add to the Minilogo discussion, quality was never the issue to me, it was the fact that the decks are just too thick. In hand they’ve always felt like some kind of 9 ply deck and I’ve been disappointed with the performance but not the durability. It’s too bad they no longer come with the SST (Super Slide Treatment) because that would be incredibly fun for skating curbs.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #4136 on: November 04, 2023, 11:40:46 AM »
Had a mini logo model 8.5 (shape# 279?)  back in 2015 and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It felt like a mix between DLX Full/Full SE & FA shovel nose shape = full, but not squared, concave but not too steep. Lasted me awhile and worked well.

I would guess newer molds have different shapes now, but their boards always seemed like maple and not birch based on their stickers/labeling. Friend of mine (RIP) used to get flowed Mini Logo gear (2015-2019 ish) and was a "Mini Logo Militant"  :-X
Flow program name is weird, but the decks always felt at pro quality level or one notch below. He'd pass excess/used decks around to us homies so we got a chance to try them out. Sometimes they felt cheap but most of their presses must have been standard wood and not cheap shit
Super Champion Fun Zone

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4137 on: November 04, 2023, 12:51:40 PM »
Gonz / Krooked seemed to be the first newer company that started putting out bigger boards and shape boards, I want to say that was around like 2004-2005. I feel like that is the time 8" was the most popular size.
I seem to remember a lot of Anti Hero skaters riding bigger boards back in like 2012 kinda like what Brimson was saying
T Funk was already skating a huge 9" looking board 7+ years ago, I feel like it was somewhere around there it started getting really popular to the point every brand offering up to 8.5" and it seemed like 8.25" became the most common size. and then the square noses came shortly after I think.

Flip dropped a DP board in like 1997 that was huge. I wanna say like over 9".

My homie went to Woodward it.

I guess everyone based on him all week. Only his counselor. I think it was Salman might've been Sal cuz I wasn't there it hard for me to remember. They treated him with the a measure of respect and he had fun.

Real recognizing Real obviously.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4138 on: November 04, 2023, 01:39:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Gonz / Krooked seemed to be the first newer company that started putting out bigger boards and shape boards, I want to say that was around like 2004-2005. I feel like that is the time 8" was the most popular size.
I seem to remember a lot of Anti Hero skaters riding bigger boards back in like 2012 kinda like what Brimson was saying
T Funk was already skating a huge 9" looking board 7+ years ago, I feel like it was somewhere around there it started getting really popular to the point every brand offering up to 8.5" and it seemed like 8.25" became the most common size. and then the square noses came shortly after I think.
[close]

Flip dropped a DP board in like 1997 that was huge. I wanna say like over 9".

My homie went to Woodward it.

I guess everyone based on him all week. Only his counselor. I think it was Salman might've been Sal cuz I wasn't there it hard for me to remember. They treated him with the a measure of respect and he had fun.

Real recognizing Real obviously.

yeah we teased our one dude, that we all love(d), because he’d ride 8s. he was/is soggy with it. now we all are. anyways, we gave him a hard time, good naturedly, and i think he liked the reputation.
as i’ve mentioned on here before, there was this one local ripper that was super good in our tiny hometown. he was kind of over skating, and would just come out here and there. he’d skate something that i think was closer to 8.5, i’m assuming 149s, and big ass wheels. he could do cab double flips. switch tre’s, all of that in 1997 ish. we did not tease him.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4139 on: November 04, 2023, 04:44:07 PM »
anyone favor a longer wb, on a shorter board?

i’ve got this one deck that messes with my ideas of what i thought i liked. G053. i think i like it for the short tail, and relatively short nose.
i think i don’t really like boards great than 32”, that is what used to keep me off of dlx wide boards, they frequently felt long.

more of my dumbass thoughts