Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 210996 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4140 on: November 04, 2023, 04:49:33 PM »
It seems a lot of us tend to keep a “beater” complete in the trunk, mainly for having a board to skate at anytime while keeping a main setup in the house to avoid things like warping, frozen or mushy bushings, peeling/ bubbling grip etc.
My question is this: How many of you feel like you skate better on the old beat up neglected setup?
For me if I’m having trouble landing something I’ve been trying for too long I grab the old setup out of the trunk and within a few tries I can usually handle what I’ve been working on and go home happy.

Yes for sure!

Having a brand new deck or even more with a complete, I want to just roll around and enjoy it, but no go too hard on it, or just skate it on my own ramp for a while first.

For a used or an old board I don't care about half as much, I can do whatever I want and not have a worry with it, so I am way more likely to skate it better on almost everything with it.

I know back in the day, I only had one setup, barely that sometimes, so I just made do with it, so now it is nice to have options for whatever I want on any given day or session.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Schinken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 67
« Reply #4141 on: November 05, 2023, 04:52:26 AM »
Had a mini logo model 8.5 (shape# 279?)  back in 2015 and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It felt like a mix between DLX Full/Full SE & FA shovel nose shape = full, but not squared, concave but not too steep. Lasted me awhile and worked well.

I would guess newer molds have different shapes now, but their boards always seemed like maple and not birch based on their stickers/labeling. Friend of mine (RIP) used to get flowed Mini Logo gear (2015-2019 ish) and was a "Mini Logo Militant"  :-X
Flow program name is weird, but the decks always felt at pro quality level or one notch below. He'd pass excess/used decks around to us homies so we got a chance to try them out. Sometimes they felt cheap but most of their presses must have been standard wood and not cheap shit

Every powell non flight deck I've had ended up warped / twisted within a few weeks. Haven't had this happen to any other board I've owned. Must be something about the glue they use

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 776
« Reply #4142 on: November 05, 2023, 01:44:58 PM »
when i was 12 i had a plan b board that had all the pros names listed like this

PJ&
Paul&
Ryan&
Torey&
Danny&
Colin

i tried to find it because i want to collect photos of all the decks i’ve had in my life but it’s nowhere to be found. did any of you have this board by any chance and remember how they called the graphic? iirc it was yellow with purple text. 7.875 size probably or 7.75.

edit: i wrote this kinda weird, i only want to find a picture of it, not the deck itself

edit 2: this is the graphic in a t-shirt version, it was the same thing but on a yellow deck

around 3:50
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 03:32:34 AM by roba »
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4143 on: November 06, 2023, 08:14:03 AM »

PJ&
Paul&
Ryan&
Torey&
Danny&
Colin

i tried to find it because i want to collect photos of all the decks i’ve had in my life but it’s nowhere to be found. did any of you have this board by any chance and remember how they called the graphic? iirc it was yellow with purple text. 7.875 size probably or 7.75.

edit: i wrote this kinda weird, i only want to find a picture of it, not the deck itself

edit 2: this is the graphic in a t-shirt version, it was the same thing but on a yellow deck

so i couldn't track it down and you didn't mention a year specifically (before the video being posted), but i definitely remember those shirts being -everywhere- . not the plan B ones, just anything under the sun got a list shirt like that mall kiosk style

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 776
« Reply #4144 on: November 07, 2023, 03:03:43 AM »
Expand Quote

PJ&
Paul&
Ryan&
Torey&
Danny&
Colin

[close]

so i couldn't track it down and you didn't mention a year specifically (before the video being posted), but i definitely remember those shirts being -everywhere- . not the plan B ones, just anything under the sun got a list shirt like that mall kiosk style

i had it in 2012 or 2013 but i'm sure it was an older board, i'm guessing 2010 or 2011
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4145 on: November 07, 2023, 03:16:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone currently or recently rode mini logo blanks? They have some on their site for 24 bucks right now. Are they any good? Are the painted ones better than the natural wood grain? Any positive and negatives to them from people who ride or have rode them? I hear they use the same exact wood they use for the non flight powell decks too which i cant speak for either. But with powells legacy in skating i figure they would be some what decent quality...or i could be wrong
[close]

nope
minilogo blanks are made of birch
they just suck if you're not a beginner
[close]

Nah, you are wrong.

Mini Logos boards are the same as Powell's wood boards.

the detonators i have in front of me (natural) have a birch label and look thick ( i had a few colored ones a few months ago and same birch label).
Good for the price i guess but don't expect it to last as long as a board twice the price.

we're maybe not talking about the same "blanks"

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4146 on: November 07, 2023, 05:02:48 AM »
Do the 600 need super glue on the stitching?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4147 on: November 07, 2023, 08:34:11 AM »
I bought a mini logo maybe 6 or 7 years ago and it was complete trash. There is no way its the same wood that main line powell boards are using. It went soggy super fast, horrible pop. really garbage boards compared to what they used to be. not worth the money, i have a Primitive board ive been riding for like 1.5 years that has more pop than that thing did when it was new.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #4148 on: November 07, 2023, 09:47:30 AM »
Are there two kinds of skating switch depending on the directionality of you board? When skating switch I use my nose as the tail, and don't switch the board around to use the tail as the tail. Is the latter proper switch skating and the former a lesser switch skating?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4149 on: November 07, 2023, 10:01:00 AM »

100%. Mine busted all the stitching within 10 ollies, nollies, and kickflips. It is a big flaw of the shoe. I don't expect to bust them within an hour of skating.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4150 on: November 07, 2023, 10:02:12 AM »
Are there two kinds of skating switch depending on the directionality of you board? When skating switch I use my nose as the tail, and don't switch the board around to use the tail as the tail. Is the latter proper switch skating and the former a lesser switch skating?

It is whatever you prefer. Most people skate the nose since they skate the nose when doing nollie tricks. When used as a tail the nose will hit the ground a tad faster, which is probably a good thing for many as they are not used to popping quite as hard/far with that leg.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #4151 on: November 07, 2023, 10:42:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It is whatever you prefer. Most people skate the nose since they skate the nose when doing nollie tricks. When used as a tail the nose will hit the ground a tad faster, which is probably a good thing for many as they are not used to popping quite as hard/far with that leg.

Uhhhhh, usually noses are steeper on standard molds than tails, therefore it takes slightly longer to pop off the nose for nollie or switch.

Unless, the boards you ride are closer to twin molds where the nose isn't as steep/equal to tail height.

I skate switch using the nose 90% of the time and notice ghost pops when I don't pop as hard because of the slightly steeper nose than tail. I still prefer it because I like the explosive pop it gives to balance out the lack of dominance in strength when popping off the nose. Plus comfort of familiarity of doing it that way forever.

It's more common to use the nose, but using the tail is not "lesser" just preference. People on twin shapes laughing at us with a "Yes." response to the "do you use your tail or nose when switch skating?"  ;D
Super Champion Fun Zone

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #4152 on: November 07, 2023, 11:19:26 AM »
I started skating switch on my nose because
A) That's how you end up skating when you land a 180 trick, and
B) That's how the pros did it

I really doubt it matters and clearly you will just get used to doing it either way, but now, after ~30 years, when I try to skate switch on my tail, it definitely feels weird.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Suangi

• Rep: 9
« Reply #4153 on: November 07, 2023, 11:38:17 AM »
I started skating switch on my nose because
A) That's how you end up skating when you land a 180 trick, and
B) That's how the pros did it

I really doubt it matters and clearly you will just get used to doing it either way, but now, after ~30 years, when I try to skate switch on my tail, it definitely feels weird.

Yeah, for me it's totally a feeling thing. If you think about it, most of the time when doing a trick switch you are kind of (and excuse me for putting this like this) doing a fakie nollie trick. As in, you keep the same body shape and direction that you would for a nollie trick but are going backwards. Now if you move the board around, it will likely work eventually, but just feel 'funny'.

There are stories of pros though trying tricks for hours and then spinning their board round and getting it shortly after. Cannot think of a specific one off the top of my head right now

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #4154 on: November 07, 2023, 11:39:46 AM »
Let's take this further and say skaters on twin tails don't actually skate switch. Twin nose, switch only

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #4155 on: November 07, 2023, 07:54:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone currently or recently rode mini logo blanks? They have some on their site for 24 bucks right now. Are they any good? Are the painted ones better than the natural wood grain? Any positive and negatives to them from people who ride or have rode them? I hear they use the same exact wood they use for the non flight powell decks too which i cant speak for either. But with powells legacy in skating i figure they would be some what decent quality...or i could be wrong
[close]

nope
minilogo blanks are made of birch
they just suck if you're not a beginner
[close]

Nah, you are wrong.

Mini Logos boards are the same as Powell's wood boards.
[close]

the detonators i have in front of me (natural) have a birch label and look thick ( i had a few colored ones a few months ago and same birch label).
Good for the price i guess but don't expect it to last as long as a board twice the price.

we're maybe not talking about the same "blanks"

Interesting. That was not my experience.

Are these recent? Maybe the newest ones are birch?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4156 on: November 07, 2023, 09:17:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

100%. Mine busted all the stitching within 10 ollies, nollies, and kickflips. It is a big flaw of the shoe. I don't expect to bust them within an hour of skating.
I meant on the upper, not the rubber. I blew out stitches in 5 min on my 480 but never cared since in that kind of shoe is always been like that and never affected performance.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4157 on: November 07, 2023, 09:49:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Uhhhhh, usually noses are steeper on standard molds than tails, therefore it takes slightly longer to pop off the nose for nollie or switch.

Unless, the boards you ride are closer to twin molds where the nose isn't as steep/equal to tail height.

I skate switch using the nose 90% of the time and notice ghost pops when I don't pop as hard because of the slightly steeper nose than tail. I still prefer it because I like the explosive pop it gives to balance out the lack of dominance in strength when popping off the nose. Plus comfort of familiarity of doing it that way forever.

It's more common to use the nose, but using the tail is not "lesser" just preference. People on twin shapes laughing at us with a "Yes." response to the "do you use your tail or nose when switch skating?"  ;D

Noses are usually much longer than tails, which means they often hit the ground at the same time or faster depending on the mold. It is a longer lever basically. On Polar decks for example a nose is often 7.125 and the tail is like 6.65 so you're talking a half an inch and the actual kick angle isn't much steeper.

Ishod talks about it a bit in his 9 club how riding a twin tail delays the nollie pop for him and this is why since both kicks are the same angle. When you're popping off the nose you actually would want it to be faster. You're traveling forward and the nose hits the ground like a shovel. Tom Asta's nollie video talks about snapping nollies faster than an ollie cuz if you don't snap them the nose will never lift up fast enough.

When you get into decks that have mega steeper noses like FAs and whatnot then this goes out the window.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4158 on: November 08, 2023, 05:29:18 AM »
I actually started skating switch off the tail recently because i figure that is how it is meant to be designed if you think about it... tricks that pop off the tail should be done off the tail right?

i skated switch off the nose before that because i first noticed alex carolino doing it... i i liked the way my trucks felt more whne my board was that way and the faster nose hit etc.  i might actually go back to it but i like how skating switch off the tail balances out the bushings / trucks a bit more. my one friend who is really good said to me it depends what the situation is because if you are doing lines then sometimes you would have to do it off the nose in order for the following regular trick to be done off the tail etc. so i think its not something you should get super hung up on / OCD about

i have a different dumb question... whne would you get new wheels? lol just noticed my 54mm conical fulls are down to 50mm. i am enjoying them still though so i am gonna let em rock for awhile longer, but how small would you guys let your wheels get before getting new ones?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4159 on: November 08, 2023, 05:37:52 AM »
I actually started skating switch off the tail recently because i figure that is how it is meant to be designed if you think about it... tricks that pop off the tail should be done off the tail right?

i skated switch off the nose before that because i first noticed alex carolino doing it... i i liked the way my trucks felt more whne my board was that way and the faster nose hit etc.  i might actually go back to it but i like how skating switch off the tail balances out the bushings / trucks a bit more. my one friend who is really good said to me it depends what the situation is because if you are doing lines then sometimes you would have to do it off the nose in order for the following regular trick to be done off the tail etc. so i think its not something you should get super hung up on / OCD about

i have a different dumb question... whne would you get new wheels? lol just noticed my 54mm conical fulls are down to 50mm. i am enjoying them still though so i am gonna let em rock for awhile longer, but how small would you guys let your wheels get before getting new ones?

Anything under 48mm is what I would say. I usually ride 52's but those still hold up for at least 18 months. Spitfire Conicals F4. I think it depends on how smooth your worn wheels are, when they get smaller. When they have a lot of dents and chunks missing, I would replace them. But does it make more sense to replace new wheels during winter or in the summer? Maybe winter would be better to break new wheels in and then they are ready when spring arrives.
IG: @flowterspace

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #4160 on: November 08, 2023, 06:03:41 AM »
one one got any good balance board recs? Padding out my christmas list

Looking for something to stand in the office and full around on during rainy days. Possible learn to hold a switch mannies

or are these mostly a waste?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4161 on: November 08, 2023, 06:58:07 AM »
I got one as a present and found that it's interesting but doesn't transfer. The fulcrum point changes on it whereas it doesn't on a skateboard. At first you become more aware of using your hips instead of upper body to stabilize and they do seem to make you more aware of subtle weighting but after that it kinda became it's own thing if that makes sense.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4162 on: November 08, 2023, 11:19:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Noses are usually much longer than tails, which means they often hit the ground at the same time or faster depending on the mold. It is a longer lever basically. On Polar decks for example a nose is often 7.125 and the tail is like 6.65 so you're talking a half an inch and the actual kick angle isn't much steeper.

Ishod talks about it a bit in his 9 club how riding a twin tail delays the nollie pop for him and this is why since both kicks are the same angle. When you're popping off the nose you actually would want it to be faster. You're traveling forward and the nose hits the ground like a shovel. Tom Asta's nollie video talks about snapping nollies faster than an ollie cuz if you don't snap them the nose will never lift up fast enough.

When you get into decks that have mega steeper noses like FAs and whatnot then this goes out the window.

While noses are generally longer than tails, nearly every board I've skated in 17.5 years: full, steep, mellow, tapered, etc. the nose always popped later than my tail. In theory you want it faster, but in reality, I've almost never seen a nose pop faster than a tail. Mathematically, even if the length is supposed to offset the steepness, it doesn't seem to actually translate to reality. My current 8.5 AH seems to be closer to timing in pop as my tail but definitely not faster.

I'm aware of Ishod and Asta talking about it, but I believe both of their points stem from technique of popping/placement more than the actual mechanics of the deck specs.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4163 on: November 08, 2023, 11:54:32 AM »
Anyone know where to get decent argyle socks?

I had some ill wool/hemp ones once. I'd like to get a few pairs.

The mall has only ones that die super fast.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #4164 on: November 08, 2023, 12:12:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

While noses are generally longer than tails, nearly every board I've skated in 17.5 years: full, steep, mellow, tapered, etc. the nose always popped later than my tail. In theory you want it faster, but in reality, I've almost never seen a nose pop faster than a tail. Mathematically, even if the length is supposed to offset the steepness, it doesn't seem to actually translate to reality. My current 8.5 AH seems to be closer to timing in pop as my tail but definitely not faster.

I'm aware of Ishod and Asta talking about it, but I believe both of their points stem from technique of popping/placement more than the actual mechanics of the deck specs.
Just checked my current setup (AH) and the nose definitely pops before the tail. Standing on one kick then the other, the board is at a steeper angle when standing on the tail than the nose.
I’ve also noticed before that I’m more likely to ghost pop nollie-ing off the tail, for this reason.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #4165 on: November 09, 2023, 05:02:18 AM »
Why is it that it's always twin tail and never twin nose?

Do anyone of you know any shapes that are twin noses?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4166 on: November 09, 2023, 05:36:59 AM »

Deathwish has, I believe that AWS/Habitat also and Primitive should be releasing one soon.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4167 on: November 09, 2023, 09:55:12 AM »
If I bought a flight board in 8.75 or 9 and re drilled the trucks would I lose pop from having such a big nose and tail.

There's nothing on this earth I want more than a big ass flight deck at this moment. But I don't want lethargic pop at all. Last time I redrilled a tail side of board it was not the best move at all.

What do pals think
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4168 on: November 09, 2023, 10:45:09 AM »

type in "Twin" on tactics (unfortuantely a lot of snowboards will come up...)

https://www.tactics.com/alien-workshop/kaos-8375-twin-tail-shape-skateboard-deck

that one is 7" / 7" true twin Nose AWS

https://www.tactics.com/welcome/clairvoyant-80-evil-twin-shape-skateboard-deck/black

6.75" / 6.75" welcome pretty sick

theres a bunch more i am too lazy to post but yeah take a look and you will find some. girl has some hybrid / longer ones as well but i think aws/ habitat / welcome were the main ones i remember being longer

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4169 on: November 09, 2023, 12:44:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Just checked my current setup (AH) and the nose definitely pops before the tail. Standing on one kick then the other, the board is at a steeper angle when standing on the tail than the nose.
I’ve also noticed before that I’m more likely to ghost pop nollie-ing off the tail, for this reason.

Odd, my AH deck I skated last night definitely had the nose pop later than the tail. I tested it with nollie fs 180, which for me, rely heavily on the timing of the pop to work as intended.

I personally don't believe that most noses pop faster than tails. That just doesn't make sense since their design (unless shortened/lowered to match the tail ) by default implies they pop later
Super Champion Fun Zone