Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 210946 times)

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4410 on: December 16, 2023, 12:36:32 PM »
Maybe this territory’s already been covered, but I’ve been thinking about turning some of these older sets of wheels (F4 99) that I’ve worn from 56 down to about 52mm into “little smokies” of a sort, like a 50mm classic shape or something, by turning/cutting them on a lathe.
Anybody already try this?
Thoughts?
Wondering how I’d rig a jig to cut a consistent sidewall profile.
I don’t know shit about machining, BTW.

Paging @Mbrimson88

I did that with some old 80hds. Took a block of wood, cut out a hole with the radius I wanted(1/16” bigger than), epoxied some tubing on it and then stuck sand paper on it(progressively finer grits and just rough it somewhat close but save it for the final finishing grit ie 320) and chucked the wheels on some all thread in a drill press. Worked well.
I think I tossed the radius jig when I moved though. There may be pics in my posts somewhere.
If you’re using a lathe it should be fairly easy(assuming you know some who can show you how to use it) with good results.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4411 on: December 16, 2023, 01:17:30 PM »
Maybe this territory’s already been covered, but I’ve been thinking about turning some of these older sets of wheels (F4 99) that I’ve worn from 56 down to about 52mm into “little smokies” of a sort, like a 50mm classic shape or something, by turning/cutting them on a lathe.
Thoughts?
How about skate them

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4412 on: December 16, 2023, 01:36:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Thoughts?
[close]

Paging @Mbrimson88

I did that with some old 80hds. Took a block of wood, cut out a hole with the radius I wanted(1/16” bigger than), epoxied some tubing on it and then stuck sand paper on it(progressively finer grits and just rough it somewhat close but save it for the final finishing grit ie 320) and chucked the wheels on some all thread in a drill press. Worked well.
I think I tossed the radius jig when I moved though. There may be pics in my posts somewhere.
If you’re using a lathe it should be fairly easy(assuming you know some who can show you how to use it) with good results.

Yeah if you have access to a lathe, it is very easy.  Also very easy to destroy a wheel or yourself, so I am told, but this is a post from a friend who does have such access and skill.  He made his own shaping guide tool as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4413 on: December 16, 2023, 01:43:52 PM »

My go to is just an angle grinder, so although I can do a pretty good job on any wheel, it doesn't have the "factory finish" look that someone with a lathe can achieve with a bit of patience and effort.

To note, when I have tried to take wheels down in size / diameter, I have often had mixed results, but just reshaping the side of the wheels is the main thing I do.

Get any old wheel, often squared off or looking pretty bad, then taking the sides down a bit or a lot, rounding them off or shaping them to whatever I like, so I have made some really round "Classic Full" and more rounded wheels in the past from some that were anything but rounded, eg Conical Full 58 mm down to under 50 mm and now rounded off to make some really nice fun width small wheels.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2216
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4414 on: December 16, 2023, 01:44:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Thoughts?
[close]
How about skate them
A fine question, my esteemed PAL.
Usually, I'll pass them on and let somebody else skate them.
But I'm still thrifty enough at heart to think that paying for a tiny wheel is kind of silly when there's already a set of them hiding right there of these blown-out conical fulls I have.
Plus, you seen the 56s once they get down to 52mm? Not much lip left, feel me?
Might as well do something with them, I reckon.
Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud over here; bouncing my dumb ideas of the homies.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4415 on: December 16, 2023, 02:21:44 PM »
i dont know anyone who skates exclusively transition.

what im wondering is, if you never leave the bowl/mini, when do you replace your deck and why?

when youre skating street or flat its easy to notice the sogging out or the loss of pop.

obviously you replace it when it legit breaks lol

Depends.

When I was a Grom skating nearly nothing but mini ramp I did a ton of pogos and disasters.
What's cooler than taking that trick to disaster or to truck?

Nothing.

It definitely wears your board down. Also if you're skating 6'+ chips are guaranteed to happen.

Also keep in mind I'm talking about boards in the 80s early 90s before the shrinkage

Also I was like 90lbs
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4416 on: December 16, 2023, 02:26:19 PM »
I need a wax suggestion.

I have to wax a 25' brick sidewalk for lipslides. The wax I've been using only works good on the edge and the face. The tops of my curbs always go dry and it's hard to keep up with that.

Candle wax takes all day.
(A)pl(E)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4417 on: December 16, 2023, 02:33:00 PM »
rails....

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4418 on: December 16, 2023, 02:59:32 PM »
rails....

I just got but it's still not enough. The wheels bite the bricks and I get forced out to forward.

It's really like a high speed disaster pop out. Kills my knee.

Backside slides enough to go fakie but I'm not ready for all  that. I'm trying to get that Copley 99 feeling. That fuckin thing went.
(A)pl(E)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4419 on: December 16, 2023, 10:56:59 PM »
Dragons?  Short of that….one of those huge candles and fire? 

Pasta Monster

« Reply #4420 on: December 17, 2023, 09:17:57 AM »
Anyone know the MSRP on the Krooked Ladybug Phantoms? DLX skate shop put out a clip with Eddie and Matt. Shit looks like fun, but I noticed a shop is charging $250 for it.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4421 on: December 17, 2023, 11:52:37 AM »
Has anyone ever weighed Bones vs Spit.

Feel like my Dragons are heavier than my new Spits. This seems impossible tho. The Dragons are like 55 x 33 started as 58mm Rat Bones twos. In my opinion its by far the best Bones shape. Followed by the discontinued DTF Ditch Tech Formula in second best shape ever. I would say the && Nano is that shape but the cores are drilled off set.

The Spit i just got is the 97a Conical Full 54x38 has no side cuts or whatever like my Dragons so the Spit should feel much heavier in hand. They dont. If i had a scale id look into it.

I am interested to know. I guess V2 vs Tabs would be the way to find out. Or better yet. V2 stf vs v2 Dragons or whatever shape is identical
(A)pl(E)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4422 on: December 17, 2023, 11:59:40 AM »
I’m more curious if anyone has ever weighed the average user…..my money is on the Dragons….

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #4423 on: December 17, 2023, 02:44:41 PM »
Anyone know the MSRP on the Krooked Ladybug Phantoms? DLX skate shop put out a clip with Eddie and Matt. Shit looks like fun, but I noticed a shop is charging $250 for it.

My understanding is with those Krooked Gonz special boards, they are twice the cost to make, or something like that, so the retail price is going to be way up there as well, twice or more what a normal board would cost.

There was a video on it somewhere, but I can't find it right now, but someone from a shop explaining how they are made and what goes into them, cost of products and justifying why they are so expensive for the most part.  Of course if you were going to run a shop and have to charge that much, it would be good to explain why.

That's my take on it anyway, from a woodshop perspective.

https://krookedskateboarding.com/fall-2023/

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4424 on: December 17, 2023, 02:59:19 PM »
I’m more curious if anyone has ever weighed the average user…..my money is on the Dragons….

True. Thin and Spit here.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4425 on: December 17, 2023, 03:14:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My understanding is with those Krooked Gonz special boards, they are twice the cost to make, or something like that, so the retail price is going to be way up there as well, twice or more what a normal board would cost.

There was a video on it somewhere, but I can't find it right now, but someone from a shop explaining how they are made and what goes into them, cost of products and justifying why they are so expensive for the most part.  Of course if you were going to run a shop and have to charge that much, it would be good to explain why.

That's my take on it anyway, from a woodshop perspective.

https://krookedskateboarding.com/fall-2023/

If I had the bread I'd pay it. I feel the end result product is worth it. I'd be ripping it too.

It's The Phantom Corsair. $$$

It also reminds me of that Toy he-man sword. The little one when you snapped the two halves together. Good memories. He man toys smell like heaven.

I fuckin love lady bugs too now I think about it. They keep me deep with wishes.

This to me is Top of the Top special product. I would definitely try to get a break on two if possible. Maybe 200 each?

That seems fair.
(A)pl(E)

Cesspool86

• Rep: 60
« Reply #4426 on: December 17, 2023, 04:21:28 PM »
I need a wax suggestion.

I have to wax a 25' brick sidewalk for lipslides. The wax I've been using only works good on the edge and the face. The tops of my curbs always go dry and it's hard to keep up with that.

See if your grocery store has gulf wax in the canning supply aisle

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4427 on: December 17, 2023, 06:02:55 PM »
Expand Quote
I need a wax suggestion.

[close]

See if your grocery store has gulf wax in the canning supply aisle

Sick thanks
(A)pl(E)

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4428 on: December 18, 2023, 03:31:18 AM »

here in France retail price should be around 180€-200€

It seems that shop is marking-up
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 03:42:05 AM by BALARGUE »

breezy_again

• Rep: 50
  • Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation
« Reply #4429 on: December 18, 2023, 05:23:27 AM »
should be around $200 in the USA. anything more than that and you're getting price gouged. you might be able to find some shops doing less than 200 though.

hayduke lives

• Rep: 40
« Reply #4430 on: December 18, 2023, 07:04:36 PM »
not sure why i got curious about this, but, i've been wondering about woodshop history. mainly, when did bbs move to mexico and where was the shop before, bay area? also wondering about nhs boards before move to china? did they have their own factory and was it in santa cruz area?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4431 on: December 18, 2023, 07:39:51 PM »
not sure why i got curious about this, but, i've been wondering about woodshop history. mainly, when did bbs move to mexico and where was the shop before, bay area? also wondering about nhs boards before move to china? did they have their own factory and was it in santa cruz area?

I would be curious to fill in some blanks there too, given I had tried to get as much info as possible from anywhere and everywhere to compile the info in the Woodshop thread, but there is always more out there that people know that often don't have written down or in any printed info anywhere.

Link here for the woodshop list, with year established and country of location too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.msg3729104#msg3729104

I couldn't say for sure, but BBS (1996) seems to have had a pretty long history of boards from Mexico, but exactly when anything happened, I don't know.  Did the factory start there or in USA?

NHS I thought did everything in or around their location at one point, then started outsourcing more and more, to then change almost everything over to China, but I also don't have much info on things moving, more so just trucks and wheels around 2018, not so much boards, which I think were already being made elsewhere from mid 2000s.

PS Stix seemed to change around 2002 - 2003, or at least some of the boards I have from 2001 (still USA) and then 2004 (Mexico) but there could have been the different locations still going simultaneously for a while there too.

Any which way, I would be stoked to find out a bit more about any of those or other ones.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #4432 on: December 19, 2023, 10:20:13 AM »
What happened to the Tim Pool thread that was up in UWTB today?

hayduke lives

« Reply #4433 on: December 19, 2023, 02:56:15 PM »

that didn't last long! i thought "damn, neen's a superfan" with the personal and nadc follow. wonder if OP got some free footprints, quantums and 9 club yeti to nuke thread?

DERBY

• Rep: 259
« Reply #4434 on: December 19, 2023, 03:06:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

that didn't last long! i thought "damn, neen's a superfan" with the personal and nadc follow. wonder if OP got some free footprints, quantums and 9 club yeti to nuke thread?

they probably landed a date with the real local joe

hayduke lives

« Reply #4435 on: December 19, 2023, 03:07:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would be curious to fill in some blanks there too, given I had tried to get as much info as possible from anywhere and everywhere to compile the info in the Woodshop thread, but there is always more out there that people know that often don't have written down or in any printed info anywhere.

Link here for the woodshop list, with year established and country of location too:

I couldn't say for sure, but BBS (1996) seems to have had a pretty long history of boards from Mexico, but exactly when anything happened, I don't know.  Did the factory start there or in USA?

NHS I thought did everything in or around their location at one point, then started outsourcing more and more, to then change almost everything over to China, but I also don't have much info on things moving, more so just trucks and wheels around 2018, not so much boards, which I think were already being made elsewhere from mid 2000s.

PS Stix seemed to change around 2002 - 2003, or at least some of the boards I have from 2001 (still USA) and then 2004 (Mexico) but there could have been the different locations still going simultaneously for a while there too.

Any which way, I would be stoked to find out a bit more about any of those or other ones.

did a bit more digging on this and 1996 seems right on bbs founding which begs another question. who did dlx wood before that? i have vague memory of knowing someone who worked "making boards" (not for dlx, maybe kayo?) around berkeley. guessing in retrospect that was likely just printing graphics. did find this little tidbit about bbs, some insight on equipment they use. https://www.papercutters.com/news/article/bbs-manufacturing-riding-on-air-of-productivity-with-new-pair-of-saber-paper-cutters

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4436 on: December 19, 2023, 04:18:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

did a bit more digging on this and 1996 seems right on bbs founding which begs another question. who did dlx wood before that? i have vague memory of knowing someone who worked "making boards" (not for dlx, maybe kayo?) around berkeley. guessing in retrospect that was likely just printing graphics. did find this little tidbit about bbs, some insight on equipment they use. https://www.papercutters.com/news/article/bbs-manufacturing-riding-on-air-of-productivity-with-new-pair-of-saber-paper-cutters

That was a good read.

Thanks!

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #4437 on: December 20, 2023, 12:54:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

they probably landed a date with the real local joe

Thanks for the info. Sucks if threads are removed just like that. OP probably got cold feet or a box as you suggested.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #4438 on: December 20, 2023, 08:19:07 AM »
do cored wheels have any real varying performance from standard wheels?

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #4439 on: December 20, 2023, 08:31:22 AM »
do cored wheels have any real varying performance from standard wheels?

Definitely do for soft wheels, bearings seat better and less likely to become unseated.

Hard wheels bearing seat would be more consistent because plastic molding is more precise but I dunno if anyone can tell a performance difference there.