Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 211070 times)

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4650 on: February 21, 2024, 08:55:30 AM »
I have an Atlantic Drift board right now that I really like and I'd like to grab another one with similar dimensions. There's not much info on the sizing but mine is 8.5" and I measured the wheelbase and it's 14.375. Would a BBS board in 8.5 be a safe bet or do I just need to grab mine and go to the shop and try to find a similar one? The woodshop thread lists at least Antihero and Magenta (from what is easily available locally) as same woodshop when I did a search here.

DLX (BBS) 8.5 is noticeably different from the standard 8.5 from BBS

Example for 8.5 BBS decks:
Blue Eagle (AH 18) - 8.5 x 31.95 x 14.38
Black Label/The Killing Floor/Zero/Polar/etc - 8.5 x 32.3 x 14.5 (usually - some brands may have skight variances on concave steepness or WB)

If the total length is closer to the Blue Eagle's length, then that could be a nearly identical alternative to the Atlantic Drift deck.

The standard 8.5 from BBS is a slightly steeper concave and kick angle with a medium full nose and a full-ish tapered tail (not pointy but not round). Does your Atlantic Drift (when looking at it) seem to be closer to the trim Real/AH 8.5 or the fuller bodied 8.5 of other BBS decks?
Super Champion Fun Zone

MMongrel

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4651 on: February 21, 2024, 10:07:22 AM »
Expand Quote
I have an Atlantic Drift board right now that I really like and I'd like to grab another one with similar dimensions. There's not much info on the sizing but mine is 8.5" and I measured the wheelbase and it's 14.375. Would a BBS board in 8.5 be a safe bet or do I just need to grab mine and go to the shop and try to find a similar one? The woodshop thread lists at least Antihero and Magenta (from what is easily available locally) as same woodshop when I did a search here.
[close]

DLX (BBS) 8.5 is noticeably different from the standard 8.5 from BBS

Example for 8.5 BBS decks:
Blue Eagle (AH 18) - 8.5 x 31.95 x 14.38
Black Label/The Killing Floor/Zero/Polar/etc - 8.5 x 32.3 x 14.5 (usually - some brands may have skight variances on concave steepness or WB)

If the total length is closer to the Blue Eagle's length, then that could be a nearly identical alternative to the Atlantic Drift deck.

The standard 8.5 from BBS is a slightly steeper concave and kick angle with a medium full nose and a full-ish tapered tail (not pointy but not round). Does your Atlantic Drift (when looking at it) seem to be closer to the trim Real/AH 8.5 or the fuller bodied 8.5 of other BBS decks?
Thanks a lot for the insight! Unfortunately I can't comment too much as far as the shape as I have not had a popsicle from AH and never a Real board and this is my first 8.5 after sizing wider and then coming back a bit. The AD board tapers a bit towards the nose and the tail and the nose and tail features seem closer to the standard BBS though. Someone at the set-up thread measured the board length at 32.5 but he also measured the wheelbase as 14.5 Edit: I measured the length and it is indeed 32.5.

Here's a top pic.
https://ibb.co/9tTTdbt

Sorry for the grip. It's middle of the winter here which means salty dirty shoes.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 10:15:32 AM by MMongrel »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #4652 on: February 21, 2024, 10:35:18 AM »
Is it unethical to trade a board with a shop that you may or may not have got on sale?

So long as you didn't trick or deceive them, muscle them into the deal, or pawn off stolen goods, then it's really not their business where the deck came from or how much you paid.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #4653 on: February 21, 2024, 10:41:16 AM »
Is it unethical to trade a board with a shop that you may or may not have got on sale?

yes if u buy it direct from the board company on sale and then trade to a shop for a regular price board.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1007
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4654 on: February 21, 2024, 11:06:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@Xen
smaller wheels
sure they are not as fast as 56s or 58s
but it forces another push out of me
and feeling close to the ground is huge when youre tall
honestly should switch to x97/x99 to combat rough ground
just not sure which formula, want it to be one and done

longer boards too, switched cold turkey
31.75/14wb up to 32.5/14.5wb thinking id hate it
im visibly skating better and more confidently
not sure if its the wheelbase or overall length
but something feels right
[close]

I've always been a fan of low and wide, so small wheels and 149s (but not lo trucks persay)
I find that don't skate as much 'rough' ground to warrant the x97s - x99s are passible on the one or two really rough spots I hit, the trade off is better 'everything else, everywhere else' with x99s.

32.5/14.5 is big boy territory; these days I struggle with shorter, narrower, small WB boards. i.e., anything under 14.25"WB, 8.5", 31.75" all feel off - tried my hand on an 8.75x31.75x14.125" wb - on paper it fits what I think I need, underfoot it might as well be a 7.75" =D

What trucks are you riding? While this could go in the madness thread, I find that I need 149s/159s...144/148 territory, again, might as well be 129s...so weird.
[close]
im a big boy @ 6’6
my shorty just said 35% torso and 65% leg
i think this is an appropriate sized board
looks right on camera
saw what skaters my height were skating and its all 32-33
so now its just a skill issue lol

im on 6.1 hollow lights but can switch to solid axle easy
151s in any configuration would be my next favorite
and ive tried almost everything
i like wide trucks and have big feet, admittedly biased

as for the dimensions, ill say it might be the wheelbase
i gotta agree that 14.25 works better than 14.125wb
something aint right there, maybe forged plates?
maybe just not enough landing room for me

sub 14.25 has always felt weird at a filmable speed
you should give 8.75/32/14.25 a try next
alien workshop (i dont think you should keep them alive)
might have you sorted with a shape
off the top of my head

seems like i gotta “test” both bones formulas to ever k now
but ill start with x97 and if i cant blunt then its settled
[close]

Daaaaamn 6.6, yeah you need a long wb and length for sure to accommodate that stance. I assume I have a wide stance (5'10" / 10.5 shoe / 32" inseam, so pretty average), I can hop on a 14.375 or 14.5" after skating a 14.25 and instantly feel it, doesn't matter how long the board is..I've tried forged plates, cast and 73468723 truck brands and none of them have such a dramatic effect on a 14.25 at all, 14" a little bit - going up in WB is the biggest change.

A lot of the time, if things feel off, I can put 149s (instead of 144/148s) that stability really helps (just like the longer WB does, ya know?); it doesn't help as much as I would like tho (like on those 14.125" WB bloards.) Another thing that I've noticed is the steeper the kicks the longer the WB needs to be so I don't feel cramped, conversely, a flatter board feels fine with 14.25".

I was looking at this AWS https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Alien_Workshop_Gasmask-33_Deck/descpage-AWGM33DK.html - seems like it would do me; it's either that or this polar https://usa.polarskateco.com/collections/winter-23-hardgoods/products/roman-gonzalez-demon-child (but am wary of the length).

I'm so picky with my bluntslides man...if I know I'm going to do them that day, I switch to 103a STFs nothing comes close for me, they just glide/so easy to control everything else is slower and stickier (even 101a spits) - for the record I like to travel when I slide and grind, none of this bitch as 6" slides and shit, but go the distance.
[close]
board dims are pretty funny to me now
being that ive been on sizes too narrow for years
the shortest board i liked off top was a quasi 8.5/31.75/14.25
but it feels so dishonest
i wouldnt ride let alone buy a deck that thin again

9.0 - 9.25 is apparently just my size
but my wb tests are limited in this range
ive tried 13.875, 14.0, 14.5, 14.75, and 15 inch wb
on popsicle or popsicle adjacent shapes
theres a big gap between 14 and 14.5
ill update my findings the more these dims become available
9.0/32.1/14.375wb is looking like the next purchase

shape matters a lot to me tho
the farther away from pointy kicks, the better
no eggs or football shapes for me

as for trucks, i spent some time on 5.6s
then tried 5.8s with a quasi 8.38 and said fuck it, go 6.1
i have not switched since
sticking with a truck has made it easier to judge boards
but it did take a relative fortune to find a pair to commit to
when the dust settles ill give ace low 60s a shot
but only with my favorite tested shapes and wheels
keeps the variables in check and makes it truck vs truck

testing out 8.38 shapes seems hellish
ive never met a 9 popsicle that wasnt as advertised
the worst that could happen is taper by the back trucks
not outright being an 8.8 in disguise
best of luck with your endeavors, i couldnt do it

my knees cant handle anything harder than 99a
cant risk it after my knee injury on 101 spits
took me out of for 3.5 months
ill go faster, use more wax, just anything else
[close]

You're like me, just taller....I can't do pointy, so yeah, no eggs, as much as I like the idea of them. I need a full/squareish tail/rounded full nose <- uncommon shape combo; think FA tails with DLX round noses...knees hate hard wheels but I do it 50% of the time for certain tricks.

Looking at boards a lot these days and clearly most are using BBS stock dims, most boards are 32 and over these days, 32.1, 32.25 - when did this happen and why? Maybe *I'm* doing it wrong and should be riding a longer board?

I quite enjoyed my ACE lows (44s tho, much too narrow) with hard bushings and the 1/16th ACE riser, very sexy.
[close]
ever try the girl/chocolate g033?
thats the only shape i can think of that isnt super wide

i used to think sub 32 boards were a necessity
but this 32.5 made my form so much better
short board/wb combo was good for learning mechanics
but nothing looked nearly as good as it does now
would have never known until i tried it, give it a shot

with the lows id keep em low, no riser
gotta see what im missing since venture wont r&d it

Tried a bunch of crail shapes (currently riding the G057 to try a 15"WB, under 32 - weird shape by comparison to a lot out there); I don't stray too far dim wise, as I've this idea of what I should ride and usually don't stray (max 8.5, max 14.3x wb, under 32", no 7" noses).

I've been feeling cramped, even on the 8.5s I have around so as an experiment to step out my usual comfort zone I picked up the following:

Heroin Savages Day 8.75"x32"x14.375WB (I'm assuming it's a 6.9/7" nose)
Jacuzzi Dilo Flipper (with wheel wells) 8.5x32.3x15" WB 7" nose - 6.75" tail)

Will set both up on Royals since they're the most neutral feeling truck to me and 51mm STF 103a V1s

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4655 on: February 21, 2024, 01:56:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@Xen
smaller wheels
sure they are not as fast as 56s or 58s
but it forces another push out of me
and feeling close to the ground is huge when youre tall
honestly should switch to x97/x99 to combat rough ground
just not sure which formula, want it to be one and done

longer boards too, switched cold turkey
31.75/14wb up to 32.5/14.5wb thinking id hate it
im visibly skating better and more confidently
not sure if its the wheelbase or overall length
but something feels right
[close]

I've always been a fan of low and wide, so small wheels and 149s (but not lo trucks persay)
I find that don't skate as much 'rough' ground to warrant the x97s - x99s are passible on the one or two really rough spots I hit, the trade off is better 'everything else, everywhere else' with x99s.

32.5/14.5 is big boy territory; these days I struggle with shorter, narrower, small WB boards. i.e., anything under 14.25"WB, 8.5", 31.75" all feel off - tried my hand on an 8.75x31.75x14.125" wb - on paper it fits what I think I need, underfoot it might as well be a 7.75" =D

What trucks are you riding? While this could go in the madness thread, I find that I need 149s/159s...144/148 territory, again, might as well be 129s...so weird.
[close]
im a big boy @ 6’6
my shorty just said 35% torso and 65% leg
i think this is an appropriate sized board
looks right on camera
saw what skaters my height were skating and its all 32-33
so now its just a skill issue lol

im on 6.1 hollow lights but can switch to solid axle easy
151s in any configuration would be my next favorite
and ive tried almost everything
i like wide trucks and have big feet, admittedly biased

as for the dimensions, ill say it might be the wheelbase
i gotta agree that 14.25 works better than 14.125wb
something aint right there, maybe forged plates?
maybe just not enough landing room for me

sub 14.25 has always felt weird at a filmable speed
you should give 8.75/32/14.25 a try next
alien workshop (i dont think you should keep them alive)
might have you sorted with a shape
off the top of my head

seems like i gotta “test” both bones formulas to ever k now
but ill start with x97 and if i cant blunt then its settled
[close]

Daaaaamn 6.6, yeah you need a long wb and length for sure to accommodate that stance. I assume I have a wide stance (5'10" / 10.5 shoe / 32" inseam, so pretty average), I can hop on a 14.375 or 14.5" after skating a 14.25 and instantly feel it, doesn't matter how long the board is..I've tried forged plates, cast and 73468723 truck brands and none of them have such a dramatic effect on a 14.25 at all, 14" a little bit - going up in WB is the biggest change.

A lot of the time, if things feel off, I can put 149s (instead of 144/148s) that stability really helps (just like the longer WB does, ya know?); it doesn't help as much as I would like tho (like on those 14.125" WB bloards.) Another thing that I've noticed is the steeper the kicks the longer the WB needs to be so I don't feel cramped, conversely, a flatter board feels fine with 14.25".

I was looking at this AWS https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Alien_Workshop_Gasmask-33_Deck/descpage-AWGM33DK.html - seems like it would do me; it's either that or this polar https://usa.polarskateco.com/collections/winter-23-hardgoods/products/roman-gonzalez-demon-child (but am wary of the length).

I'm so picky with my bluntslides man...if I know I'm going to do them that day, I switch to 103a STFs nothing comes close for me, they just glide/so easy to control everything else is slower and stickier (even 101a spits) - for the record I like to travel when I slide and grind, none of this bitch as 6" slides and shit, but go the distance.
[close]
board dims are pretty funny to me now
being that ive been on sizes too narrow for years
the shortest board i liked off top was a quasi 8.5/31.75/14.25
but it feels so dishonest
i wouldnt ride let alone buy a deck that thin again

9.0 - 9.25 is apparently just my size
but my wb tests are limited in this range
ive tried 13.875, 14.0, 14.5, 14.75, and 15 inch wb
on popsicle or popsicle adjacent shapes
theres a big gap between 14 and 14.5
ill update my findings the more these dims become available
9.0/32.1/14.375wb is looking like the next purchase

shape matters a lot to me tho
the farther away from pointy kicks, the better
no eggs or football shapes for me

as for trucks, i spent some time on 5.6s
then tried 5.8s with a quasi 8.38 and said fuck it, go 6.1
i have not switched since
sticking with a truck has made it easier to judge boards
but it did take a relative fortune to find a pair to commit to
when the dust settles ill give ace low 60s a shot
but only with my favorite tested shapes and wheels
keeps the variables in check and makes it truck vs truck

testing out 8.38 shapes seems hellish
ive never met a 9 popsicle that wasnt as advertised
the worst that could happen is taper by the back trucks
not outright being an 8.8 in disguise
best of luck with your endeavors, i couldnt do it

my knees cant handle anything harder than 99a
cant risk it after my knee injury on 101 spits
took me out of for 3.5 months
ill go faster, use more wax, just anything else
[close]

You're like me, just taller....I can't do pointy, so yeah, no eggs, as much as I like the idea of them. I need a full/squareish tail/rounded full nose <- uncommon shape combo; think FA tails with DLX round noses...knees hate hard wheels but I do it 50% of the time for certain tricks.

Looking at boards a lot these days and clearly most are using BBS stock dims, most boards are 32 and over these days, 32.1, 32.25 - when did this happen and why? Maybe *I'm* doing it wrong and should be riding a longer board?

I quite enjoyed my ACE lows (44s tho, much too narrow) with hard bushings and the 1/16th ACE riser, very sexy.
[close]
ever try the girl/chocolate g033?
thats the only shape i can think of that isnt super wide

i used to think sub 32 boards were a necessity
but this 32.5 made my form so much better
short board/wb combo was good for learning mechanics
but nothing looked nearly as good as it does now
would have never known until i tried it, give it a shot

with the lows id keep em low, no riser
gotta see what im missing since venture wont r&d it
[close]

Tried a bunch of crail shapes (currently riding the G057 to try a 15"WB, under 32 - weird shape by comparison to a lot out there); I don't stray too far dim wise, as I've this idea of what I should ride and usually don't stray (max 8.5, max 14.3x wb, under 32", no 7" noses).

I've been feeling cramped, even on the 8.5s I have around so as an experiment to step out my usual comfort zone I picked up the following:

Heroin Savages Day 8.75"x32"x14.375WB (I'm assuming it's a 6.9/7" nose)
Jacuzzi Dilo Flipper (with wheel wells) 8.5x32.3x15" WB 7" nose - 6.75" tail)

Will set both up on Royals since they're the most neutral feeling truck to me and 51mm STF 103a V1s
what truck brand do you like the most?
imo swapping trucks makes it hard to find preferred boards
because you can always blame the trucks
if you dont have a dedicated starter

once i knew my truck of choice
the board shape and dimensions because the focus
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4656 on: February 21, 2024, 04:11:11 PM »
I like the:

Lightness of Thunders
Pop of Ventures
Turning of ACE/Indy/Slappy
Grind of Slappy (Indy/ACE 2nd place)

So I get the first three with Royals (they really just are turnier Ventures, but not as slow carvy as ACE or Indy but turn way better/smoother than Venture or thunder and with no wheelbite).

They also work well with any wheelbase as well.

Every time I switch it up, I end up back on Royals, they do everything with zero drawbacks for me (they do grind hard at first tho).

The Savage arrive just now, damn that thing is big :P

rikki

• Rep: 290
« Reply #4657 on: February 22, 2024, 12:07:14 AM »
What's the added wheelbase effect of Royals in inches, anyone know? 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4658 on: February 22, 2024, 08:10:59 AM »

+3.125 I think, similar to a Thunder standard / team or Indy Forged. @Xen rides them regularly so he's the best one to ask.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #4659 on: February 22, 2024, 08:39:12 AM »
Every time I get closer to trying Thunder venture you guys hype up the royals and I fall deeper into the void lol

rikki

« Reply #4660 on: February 22, 2024, 08:41:49 AM »
Every time I get closer to trying Thunder venture you guys hype up the royals and I fall deeper into the void lol

I know, right? I've been happy with Ventures lately but then I started to read about Royals being a lovechild of Indys and Ventures and shit, I have enough trucks on ice already, but then again...

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1940
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4661 on: February 22, 2024, 09:39:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know, right? I've been happy with Ventures lately but then I started to read about Royals being a lovechild of Indys and Ventures and shit, I have enough trucks on ice already, but then again...

If I can say anything to dissuade you from Royals - stock bushings feel way too mushy so you can add bushing madness to the mix. And while they combine the best elements of Thunder / Indy / Venture they don't particularly excel in any area.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rikki

« Reply #4662 on: February 22, 2024, 09:53:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If I can say anything to dissuade you from Royals - stock bushings feel way too mushy so you can add bushing madness to the mix. And while they combine the best elements of Thunder / Indy / Venture they don't particularly excel in any area.

Thank you sir. I'll take this and stop reading about Royals right now. What's Royals? Never heard.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4663 on: February 22, 2024, 10:23:16 AM »
They turn was interesting, but the grind with Royals felt super shitty to me, which is why I stopped skating them pretty quickly after being gifted a pair. And yes, the bushings are incredibly soft. Like I can't believe they ship a production truck with bushings so soft.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #4664 on: February 22, 2024, 10:54:18 AM »
Their gooshy blue bushings are actually the best part.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1130
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4665 on: February 22, 2024, 11:04:18 AM »
I can say that my experience with royals has been great. I do like a medium loose truck so once they’re broken in a bit they feel great to me. I also like the grind a lot but I only ride the Ultralights so not sure how they compare to the standards

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4666 on: February 22, 2024, 11:18:46 AM »
I can say that my experience with royals has been great. I do like a medium loose truck so once they’re broken in a bit they feel great to me. I also like the grind a lot but I only ride the Ultralights so not sure how they compare to the standards

The grind is the same, Ultralights = hollows. Overtime I feel they grind better than ventures / around the same as thunders (but again they do grind hard at the outset) - depends a lot on surfaces...Indy/slappy (slappy being fastest grind) will chew through the chunkiest concrete/shit leaving all the rest behind. 

There are these hard/sharp edged angled curbs that feel sooo good on ventures and royals (hard grinds) where everything else feels soft; on these curbs the royals and vetures feel like you are on a sharp knifes edge, other trucks butter knives =D I get that same feel on angle iron. NGL tho, I do go faster for grinds on venture or royals, nothing wrong with that...

Expand Quote
[close]

+3.125 I think, similar to a Thunder standard / team or Indy Forged. @Xen rides them regularly so he's the best one to ask.

More than indy less than thunder seems to be the average here (measurements all over the place tho)

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.msg3222786#msg3222786

« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 11:29:45 AM by Xen »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4667 on: February 22, 2024, 12:34:48 PM »

I like them but I'm 140 lbs.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4668 on: February 22, 2024, 01:19:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i’ve been wanting some. the only
reason i haven’t purchased, is i don’t know what size to get:

(behold a tale of madness/confusion)

i actually skated the best i ever have, on the previous stage of royals, in a size 8. loved those. everyone else hated them.
i don’t currently have a favorite 8” deck shape. i don’t struggle nearly as much on 8”s, compared to the larger sizes, but i don’t have a regular or homebase board that i like.
i really like the G053 griffin gass shape. it’s 8.5 and i skate it with thunder 149s. love it. it’s too big, and if im extra fat/out of shape, than i need to chill on the big board. but, it’d be sick to ride that 8.5 shape with the 8.5 trucks.
on the other hand. wtf am i doing riding an 8.5!? i am fragile and old and all i have left is some worm-burner, ground scraping nollie flops.
but then again i can land some treflips on the wider board and that’s gotta be nice right?

this just goes on and on and then i don’t buy them.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4669 on: February 22, 2024, 01:58:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Man, I got 50lbs+ on you, at 190lbs+ I can't skate [anything] stock anymore without cranking them down to Bam territory - I def swamp out for hard bushings every time (ACE hards work/fit great).

@ok sounds like you either need 144s and size up to 8.125 from 8 so you can swap between 8.125/8.25 and have one truck that fits. Or, get 149s and stick to 8.3/8.5s...I know that's not easy (which is why I have too many sets/sizes and doubles in IKP :P

Which would you rather have 139s or 144s?

Schinken

• Rep: 67
« Reply #4670 on: February 23, 2024, 03:52:24 AM »
Does anyone know if Almost / Creature changed their molds?
Recently I have got myself a Almost deck marked as mellow concave steep kicks. Set it up, rode it, felt flat.
Measured it , 19.5°...

Out of interest I have put a spare creature 8.6 Vx on my current  8.6 Vx. Completely different concave and flatter for sure

https://ibb.co/Hh8z4s9

https://ibb.co/2jycz37

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4671 on: February 23, 2024, 08:47:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Man, I got 50lbs+ on you, at 190lbs+ I can't skate [anything] stock anymore without cranking them down to Bam territory - I def swamp out for hard bushings every time (ACE hards work/fit great).

@ok sounds like you either need 144s and size up to 8.125 from 8 so you can swap between 8.125/8.25 and have one truck that fits. Or, get 149s and stick to 8.3/8.5s...I know that's not easy (which is why I have too many sets/sizes and doubles in IKP :P

Which would you rather have 139s or 144s?

i am also closer to 190

can’t decide between 8 and 8.5
i have some weird ambivalence towards 8.25 trucks. the only ones i’ve ever liked were 148s.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4672 on: February 23, 2024, 09:13:41 AM »
Recently I have got myself a Almost deck marked as mellow concave steep kicks. Set it up, rode it, felt flat.
Measured it , 19.5°...

Out of interest I have put a spare creature 8.6 Vx on my current  8.6 Vx. Completely different concave and flatter for sure

I think when they started branding the top with the little fire graphic with the dims listed there was an adjustment of sorts (around when they added they added the 8.88/8.477/8.53s).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 09:45:55 AM by Xen »

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4673 on: February 23, 2024, 07:08:07 PM »
What's NHS going to do now that China is dying
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4674 on: February 24, 2024, 03:32:31 AM »
Measured it , 19.5°...

I think Creature went through a bit of a change of woodshop, China DSM to China Excel so although still out of China, the two different places would have different molds, hence the two different boards from different periods of time.

Of course they could have changed them up in the same woodshop as well, if they were not happy with the shape and feel of them and tweaked them to be different.

China are all single press, so it is not like some would be flatter and some steeper, but definitely different presses for those.

As for Almost, well, anything you see now is old stock, as Almost is done, Dwindle in general is done, who knows what may or may not come out but as for their boards, there were a number of different options, Almost having more mellow concaves in general compared to the cheaper boards from Blind or Darkstar, from what I saw.

Hope that helps.

* Going to copy your post to the Woodshop thread too, if that is ok?  Those board pics are good.

Schinken

• Rep: 67
« Reply #4675 on: February 24, 2024, 08:35:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Measured it , 19.5°...

[close]

I think Creature went through a bit of a change of woodshop, China DSM to China Excel so although still out of China, the two different places would have different molds, hence the two different boards from different periods of time.

Of course they could have changed them up in the same woodshop as well, if they were not happy with the shape and feel of them and tweaked them to be different.

China are all single press, so it is not like some would be flatter and some steeper, but definitely different presses for those.

As for Almost, well, anything you see now is old stock, as Almost is done, Dwindle in general is done, who knows what may or may not come out but as for their boards, there were a number of different options, Almost having more mellow concaves in general compared to the cheaper boards from Blind or Darkstar, from what I saw.

Hope that helps.

* Going to copy your post to the Woodshop thread too, if that is ok?  Those board pics are good.

Feel free to use in the woodshop thread

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #4676 on: February 24, 2024, 11:56:07 AM »
Do all twin tails feel short and stubby or is it just me? Road the crail and the ishod, hated them. But I feel like there’s gotta be one out there that works
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 05:17:23 PM by TwisT »

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #4677 on: February 24, 2024, 12:01:56 PM »
Do all twin tails feel short and stubby or is it just me? Road the crail and the is hold, hated them. But I feel like there’s gotta be one out there that works

I think AWS and Neen's Deathwish are not as short and stubby, since they're both closer to a twin nose , rather than a twin tail.

That said,  I have not seen any shops or catalogs with Neen's  double nose shape, but maybe they're still out there
Super Champion Fun Zone

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #4678 on: February 24, 2024, 02:41:08 PM »
Expand Quote

Feel free to use in the woodshop thread

Thanks.

Always good to have different concave board pics like that.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4679 on: February 24, 2024, 05:50:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Do all twin tails feel short and stubby or is it just me? Road the crail and the is hold, hated them. But I feel like there’s gotta be one out there that works
[close]

I think AWS and Neen's Deathwish are not as short and stubby, since they're both closer to a twin nose , rather than a twin tail.

That said,  I have not seen any shops or catalogs with Neen's  double nose shape, but maybe they're still out there

Most are, but like DarkPools noted the Neen (the 8.5 x 32” mind), and the Habitat/AWS twins are 32.25+ with 7" kicks and long wheelbases, it's the extreme end imo.

The Toy Machine twins and the Foy come in at 32" and don't feels stubby or too long, nicely stuck in the middle
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 12:51:04 AM by Xen »