Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797552 times)

Quique

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 52
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1650 on: April 08, 2019, 04:04:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Pretty hilarious that you cant flip them to hide the graphics. I like that shape though.. how do classics compare to F4s? I don't powerslide, only revert

Skating a set of 99 f4 in one set and classics in another. Comparing to f4s, classic feels a little softer, just a little slower but not that much, surely way grippier. Almost eat shit sliding in tranny when i rode f4 after classics. F4s last forever in comparison.

I prefer classics in shitty streets, everywhere else f4.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #1651 on: April 08, 2019, 04:44:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Pretty hilarious that you cant flip them to hide the graphics. I like that shape though.. how do classics compare to F4s? I don't powerslide, only revert

In my experience you can take wheel graphics off fairly easily with nothing more than hot soapy water and a little elbow grease.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #1652 on: April 08, 2019, 08:28:33 PM »
Classics are slower, grippier and wear down quicker than F4s but they're good again for sure.I really liked they set I tried recently. A great winter wheel (indoor parks, slippery outdoor shit).

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1653 on: April 09, 2019, 03:46:34 AM »
Classics are slower, grippier and wear down quicker than F4s but they're good again for sure.I really liked they set I tried recently. A great winter wheel (indoor parks, slippery outdoor shit).

Classics are my go to these days:
Grippy enough to inspire confidence on slippery transition, but still break into a slide without too much effort.
Yes they flat spot fairly easily, but a few power slides is all it takes to round them back out.

Shuh

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1654 on: April 09, 2019, 05:41:34 AM »
Would the wider surface help with making it lasting longer compared to the normal classics i wonder?

Number

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1655 on: April 09, 2019, 08:42:49 AM »
Im sure this has been asked before, if so please direct to correct page number. But can someone crack an egg of knowledge on the difference and purpose of the radial,conical, etc. Been skating some 99a classic Spits. I usually stick to ledges and rails. Was looking to give the Sfw's a try. I like the look of a wider wheel, but wondering other than grip what they excel in. Thanks

« Reply #1656 on: April 09, 2019, 08:52:13 AM »
Would the wider surface help with making it lasting longer compared to the normal classics i wonder?

I’ve never skated the classic shape classic formula, just the SFW’s, but they still wear down pretty fast compared to F4’s.

Im sure this has been asked before, if so please direct to correct page number. But can someone crack an egg of knowledge on the difference and purpose of the radial,conical, etc. Been skating some 99a classic Spits. I usually stick to ledges and rails. Was looking to give the Sfw's a try. I like the look of a wider wheel, but wondering other than grip what they excel in. Thanks

Hardly an egg of knowledge, but I skate SFW’s purely for how the more defined edge feels a bit more precise locking into grinds on pool coping.

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #1657 on: April 09, 2019, 08:59:47 AM »

I may be wrong, Ive always understood the wider riding surface and extra weight to make it faster, but probably not enough to notice.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1658 on: April 09, 2019, 11:56:57 AM »

Width of the wheel has nothing to do with grip. A wider wheel will roll over crummy ground better than a narrower one. Wider also wears down slower cuz there's more material to wear down. Wheels shape can help you lock into grinds or get into slappies etc.

Number

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1659 on: April 09, 2019, 01:12:06 PM »
Thanks fellas. I appreciate the feedback.

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #1660 on: April 10, 2019, 01:05:34 PM »

what you boys think about this?!   yay or nay

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #1661 on: April 10, 2019, 01:17:29 PM »
^^^ I've honestly been wanting to take a skateboard out on some mountain bike trails. I don't care if it's corny. It would be like a snake run, in the woods. The trails are really well-groomed by me too.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1662 on: April 10, 2019, 01:44:44 PM »

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #1663 on: April 10, 2019, 01:56:32 PM »
^^^ I've honestly been wanting to take a skateboard out on some mountain bike trails. I don't care if it's corny. It would be like a snake run, in the woods. The trails are really well-groomed by me too.

dude get em! if you look on the page they come with 1 inch wood risers and long hardware. the trails would be soooooo fun on em!! i wish we had hills in Houston i would already have em myself   

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #1664 on: April 10, 2019, 02:37:07 PM »

Yeah there is a dirt pump track near me.  Those would be fun on it.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1665 on: April 10, 2019, 03:58:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

On second thought, it's probably a good way to get in a heated argument with some douchy bikers in spandex. Can't be dissin the bike track without serious consequences.

GasTheHostage

• Rep: -23
« Reply #1666 on: April 11, 2019, 07:07:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
On second thought, it's probably a good way to get in a heated argument with some douchy bikers in spandex. Can't be dissin the bike track without serious consequences.
first we fight scooters, now we fighting bikers?? shit don't make sense..

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #1667 on: April 11, 2019, 07:39:59 AM »
How do 103A STF’s feel compared to the 83B’s? Is it harder/faster/slidier? I usually ride 99A Radial F4’s but curious to know how people compare them.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 07:42:20 AM by AsianVegan »

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1668 on: April 11, 2019, 07:54:04 AM »
How do 103A STF’s feel compared to the 83B’s? Is it harder/faster/slidier? I usually ride 99A Radial F4’s but curious to know how people compare them.
I'm just guessing, but it's the same wheel. 103a=83b, they use a scale for stfs (99a, 103a) now and b scale for spf (81b, 84b)

GasTheHostage

« Reply #1669 on: April 11, 2019, 08:35:51 AM »
83b is 103a so im assuming they feel nearly the same

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1670 on: April 11, 2019, 08:50:02 AM »
Just got these 80hd conical chargers. I will confirm if "EVERYTHING BURNS" and report my findings.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1671 on: April 11, 2019, 08:56:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm just guessing, but it's the same wheel. 103a=83b, they use a scale for stfs (99a, 103a) now and b scale for spf (81b, 84b)

"103a" is the same as 83b.   "103a" is a marketing term and doesn't exist as far as engineering standards.

The A scale of durometer only goes up to 100 - and is only accurate up to around 95.  To measure it, the instrument indents the wheel and depending how far it goes in there is a reading.  If it doesn't go in at all it, it can't be measured by the A scale and you have to go to another scale. 

That's why Bones uses B scale. 

GasTheHostage

« Reply #1672 on: April 11, 2019, 10:40:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

"103a" is the same as 83b.   "103a" is a marketing term and doesn't exist as far as engineering standards.

The A scale of durometer only goes up to 100 - and is only accurate up to around 95.  To measure it, the instrument indents the wheel and depending how far it goes in there is a reading.  If it doesn't go in at all it, it can't be measured by the A scale and you have to go to another scale. 

Thanks for sharing this knowledge! Also bones uses the B scale only on their SPF series. Their STF series still uses A scale. Like the V3 comes in "104a"

« Reply #1673 on: April 11, 2019, 12:52:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
first we fight scooters, now we fighting bikers?? shit don't make sense..

First we fought bladers

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #1674 on: April 11, 2019, 01:55:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Thanks for sharing this knowledge! Also bones uses the B scale only on their SPF series. Their STF series still uses A scale. Like the V3 comes in "104a"
Not still, this is new, stf has been 83b since forever

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1675 on: April 12, 2019, 06:56:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Width of the wheel has nothing to do with grip. A wider wheel will roll over crummy ground better than a narrower one. Wider also wears down slower cuz there's more material to wear down. Wheels shape can help you lock into grinds or get into slappies etc.

this has never made sense to me. you'd think if you have two wheels of the same formula and duro, the wider wheel would be grippier bc of higher probability of contact? i guess that assumes wherever you're skating is not a perfectly flat surface. or, on the other hand, would a slimmer wheel distribute/concentrate the same weight on a smaller riding surface which could increase grip? or maybe its not even friction but the torque applied to the edges of the wheel which would be determined by the distance from the axle? idk these are random thoughts (and i almost failed general physics II) it's just hard to imagine width has nothing to do with grip.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1676 on: April 12, 2019, 11:18:45 PM »
Are spitfire pro classics different from reg classics?

Also did they change the classic formula some months ago?

I still have mine from 2 years ago I barely rode and I’m experimenting with them again cause I realized I didn’t like them before cause I had some terrible bearings in them and now I got some reliable balls in them I noticed they are nice and smooth with lots of control but they are damned slow

So are the newer classics of late closer to a formula four without the easy slide?
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1677 on: April 12, 2019, 11:40:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

this has never made sense to me. you'd think if you have two wheels of the same formula and duro, the wider wheel would be grippier bc of higher probability of contact? i guess that assumes wherever you're skating is not a perfectly flat surface. or, on the other hand, would a slimmer wheel distribute/concentrate the same weight on a smaller riding surface which could increase grip? or maybe its not even friction but the torque applied to the edges of the wheel which would be determined by the distance from the axle? idk these are random thoughts (and i almost failed general physics II) it's just hard to imagine width has nothing to do with grip.

Yeah, I know it's kinda counterintuitive for some reason. Took me a while to get too. But the thing is that the weight bearing down to the ground is distributed over a larger area with a wider wheel so per mm^2 in a wider wheel the friction is less but as the wider wheel has more area, the overall grip (friction) will stay the same. If the friction per mm^2 would keep the same, then widening the wheel would make it more grippy but it doesn't due to the force pressing down on the wheel distributing over a larger area.

I think this is a nice explanation:
https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae140.cfm

I've also posted this video many times before. It has a decent example of what is going on IMO:

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1678 on: April 14, 2019, 10:04:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I know it's kinda counterintuitive for some reason. Took me a while to get too. But the thing is that the weight bearing down to the ground is distributed over a larger area with a wider wheel so per mm^2 in a wider wheel the friction is less but as the wider wheel has more area, the overall grip (friction) will stay the same. If the friction per mm^2 would keep the same, then widening the wheel would make it more grippy but it doesn't due to the force pressing down on the wheel distributing over a larger area.

I think this is a nice explanation:
https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae140.cfm

I've also posted this video many times before. It has a decent example of what is going on IMO:

Damn, great video! Explains your point well regarding wheel surface and also gives me some food for thought about why my ledge/slide tricks are inconsistent

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #1679 on: April 14, 2019, 10:40:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
Not still, this is new, stf has been 83b since forever

Yeah, I think bones listened to demand  and: 1) went to the a scale 2) came out with a 99 3) came out with wider cuts.....