Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797573 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4710 on: March 07, 2022, 07:53:00 AM »
Agree with the pro nerd then, on the 9. The square shape feels like it kinda blocks some stuff (obviously this is super subtle, and really just more of an excuse for me than anything else).

As to wheel weights, I don’t think there is a wide variance in weight based off of shape. Or that I want to forgo skating wheels or anything, more that it is a piece of information that is not listed is all. When EE3 came out and we all upgraded to 60s overnight, I recall thinking my shit weighed a lot more. Wasn’t necessarily bad, just heavier.
I did have one of my all time best days riding a skateboard, 20 ish years ago, on a setup that had these really fucked up spitfire cored wheels that were noticeably lighter. Shit was poppin. Wheels were terrible tho. Lasted a week and felt gross. 10/10 would.

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4711 on: March 07, 2022, 05:04:21 PM »
There was some pro nerd on the Nein Club who was saying that the main difference is Conicals have a squared off edge so they don’t scoop the same. It’s also more surface area for slides and on some crooks it might effect the pinch.

Effect pinch in a hood or bad way?

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #4712 on: March 07, 2022, 05:11:21 PM »
Exemplary instances of pinch shall henceforth be referred to as hood.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4713 on: March 07, 2022, 05:21:45 PM »
Exemplary instances of pinch shall henceforth be referred to as hood.

Foy got that hood pinch.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4714 on: March 07, 2022, 05:23:39 PM »
I think it was Joslin actually but I don’t wanna re watch.

2nd sesh on these 54 loopholes and they feel slower than the 99a F4 they replaced. How long is the break in?

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4715 on: March 07, 2022, 06:12:49 PM »
Ben Degros has some great videos on all of the stuff being discussed on this page.

The way he describes flips on Round vs. Square wheels:

Round Wheel: Starts rolling over earlier in the trick and easier with less resistance. A sooner and more natural flick that doesn't require as much force to start.

Square Wheel: Requires more force.Gives you a more sharp edges resistance to the flick, but then once it finally starts flipping (later than the round wheels) it flips faster. He actually says the flip almost doesn't start until he is in the air, where-as round wheels start the flip before airborne.

For grinds...

Square Wheels: Can really dig in and wedge the wheel on grinds like crooked grinds which can really give you too much resistance. Generally more friction with that hard edge. However, it does a great job locking into grinds (50-50s for example) especially on certain edges/coping like ledges.

Round Wheels: Tend to not have as much drag on grinds, but may be harder to lock in certain tricks on certain edges/copings. The rounded shape reduces the surface area dragging in most cases. You don't have to go as fast with less friction, but you may have troubles staying locked on to certain surfaces (again, notably ledges).

« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 06:46:05 PM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4716 on: March 07, 2022, 08:15:20 PM »
Surely, if you are good at flip tricks like Ben, you pop first and then flick, thus negating the influence of wheel shape?

If you do shitty early 90s flip tricks like me where the board is often rolling on the ground, then I can see the wheel shape helping.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4717 on: March 09, 2022, 12:59:19 AM »
As far as cruiser wheels go, what do people think of Powell G-Slides?

I want to get a proper cruiser wheel that can still powerslide stop on flatground. It seems like they are the biggest/softest wheel that still slides on flat. 59mm 85a with some slide-ability sounds pretty good to me, but might also be a bit hard for a cruiser. Does anyone know if they chunk?

What do you all think?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #4718 on: March 09, 2022, 05:50:51 AM »

I want to get a proper cruiser wheel that can still powerslide stop on flatground. It seems like they are the biggest/softest wheel that still slides on flat. 59mm 85a with some slide-ability sounds pretty good to me, but might also be a bit hard for a cruiser. Does anyone know if they chunk?

What do you all think?

I had two sets of Gslides and they both slid well until the outer layer of urethane wore off, then they were just another super grippy cruiser wheel. That took maybe a day or two. They didn’t chunk for me, though the rough riders chunked like crazy when I tried those.

I’ve found the Powell bombers to be way better in this department because they are still soft, but slide decent and the slide never goes away. They also don’t chunk at all, in my experience.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4719 on: March 09, 2022, 05:53:10 AM »

What do you all think?

I have a couple of sets, used from other people and they look near mint, even though I know at least one set has had a beating over a few years on his setup.

To ride, they are very smooth and fast and yes I can slide with a little "EEERRRR" to a stop on smooth concrete from a couple of pushes.

I seem to recall seeing they were one of the highest priced wheels on the market too, but I could easily be wrong there.

Going back over comments from a search, I cannot find the posts, but I do recall others had them and liked them a lot.

With the more normal sizes and wide squared shape, they work well on a normal board setup with minimal risers on the ones I have set up, which is easier than having to get or use taller risers with much bigger 60+ mm wheels on cruisers too, so you can have them on a board you can still easily pop up a curb or ollie over something.

Edit:

I found some in the Cruiser thread, best example here from @yourbreakfsat

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=38836.msg3156248#msg3156248

And more recently here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=38836.msg3731013#msg3731013

« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 06:18:30 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4720 on: March 09, 2022, 07:13:37 AM »
3 sessions on my Loopholes on pretty good ground and still don’t feel as fast as the smaller F4 they replaced. Another weird thing is they’re shedding chunks. It’s not abnormal for wheels to do this especially on asphalt, but I never have that happen with F4 on the same ground. So far I’m not super sold on em.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4721 on: March 09, 2022, 07:48:32 AM »
Thanks guys... I'll definitely look into Powell Bombers. I didn't know G Slides lost their slide. What's the point in that?

I'm pretty excited about getting some big soft wheels. The streets around here are brutally crusty and very busy. Not a good combo. It will be nice to have a board for a relaxing ride where I'm not battling the road.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4722 on: March 09, 2022, 07:59:19 AM »
3 sessions on my Loopholes on pretty good ground and still don’t feel as fast as the smaller F4 they replaced. Another weird thing is they’re shedding chunks. It’s not abnormal for wheels to do this especially on asphalt, but I never have that happen with F4 on the same ground. So far I’m not super sold on em.

I'm about three sessions deep on my first set also. they are holding up well and feel like they suck up rough ground well for a hard wheel. However, they are too sticky for my taste. The slip to grip ratio is just not as good. Maybe on steep rough hills like those guys skate they'd be ideal?

Good wheels but back to F4s once these are cooked for sure. its always good to try different wheels every once in awhile so you can remind yourself how good F4s are.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4723 on: March 09, 2022, 08:03:09 AM »
I ordered a set of the 58mm 99a Snot wheels from the new drop.  I will report back on how they skate.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #4724 on: March 09, 2022, 08:12:27 AM »
Surely, if you are good at flip tricks like Ben, you pop first and then flick, thus negating the influence of wheel shape?

If you do shitty early 90s flip tricks like me where the board is often rolling on the ground, then I can see the wheel shape helping.

nah it makes a difference on certain tricks (not flatground mostly) but usually pinchy tricks (for me)

Qebrus

• Rep: 15
« Reply #4725 on: March 11, 2022, 05:59:04 AM »
Take the plunge on some of the new drop 53mm 99a snot wheels or go with the fan favourite f4 classics 99a?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4726 on: March 11, 2022, 08:43:29 AM »
Take the plunge on some of the new drop 53mm 99a snot wheels or go with the fan favourite f4 classics 99a?

Depends on the price I'd say and your expectations. For under $30 non-F4 wheels are a fun change up, even better if they are $25 or less with a discount. I assume Snot wheels are from Creative Urethane, good but not F4 great.

Above $35 and I'd stick to F4.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #4727 on: March 11, 2022, 08:49:20 AM »

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #4728 on: March 11, 2022, 09:53:26 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ca8lqtLFvSS/?utm_medium=copy_link
Does Acid pour their own in house ?

i think so, i wanna say i remember seeing them have some posts/stories with wheel cutting/shaping?

power edit - i remembered right

Qebrus

« Reply #4729 on: March 11, 2022, 10:16:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Depends on the price I'd say and your expectations. For under $30 non-F4 wheels are a fun change up, even better if they are $25 or less with a discount. I assume Snot wheels are from Creative Urethane, good but not F4 great.

Fuck it for £20 cheaper it’s worth a punt, they’re already going on my 10” egg, AF1 77 so might as well experiment. Plus the pale blue n black core is hot

animalflesh

« Reply #4730 on: March 11, 2022, 10:53:54 AM »
Doubling up on some of the new slimeballs will report back

Buster_Poosey

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4731 on: March 11, 2022, 12:00:12 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ca8lqtLFvSS/?utm_medium=copy_link
Does Acid pour their own in house ?

Yes, Acid pours, cuts, prints, and packages in their warehouse located in Oceanside Ca. The wheels are awesome

Justrollingthru

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4732 on: March 11, 2022, 12:34:03 PM »

Recently just bought my first pair of spitfire wheels ever and one wheel is noticably wobbly. I took the bearings off multiple times, mixed them up, bought a bearing press, did it all again multiple times and that's the long story short.

https://imgur.com/a/3vINWLG (here's the imgur video of the wheel spinning. I'm still learning how to make media appear on here.)

I've mostly skated bones stf, and rictas for street/park skating and a some ojs and satoris for cruiser wheels.

I'm pretty bummed on this.

The lower quality of the gif doesn't even do a justice.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4733 on: March 11, 2022, 01:03:33 PM »
So I’ve got some f4 classics, same shit. I thought it was the graphic being not centered, didn’t think too much of it. Mine aren’t as wobbly. Not very fast. I’m chocking it up to how it goes sometimes. What am I gonna do? Not skate f4s? Shits are like $40, last 8x what wheels used to last
Not ideal tho

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4734 on: March 11, 2022, 01:07:15 PM »
I too have a bad set of F4s where the bearing keeps coming unseated in one of the wheels. I know DLX customer service is known to be super responsive, but I've been slacking on getting in touch with them.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4735 on: March 11, 2022, 01:11:04 PM »

Recently just bought my first pair of spitfire wheels ever and one wheel is noticably wobbly. I took the bearings off multiple times, mixed them up, bought a bearing press, did it all again multiple times and that's the long story short.

https://imgur.com/a/3vINWLG (here's the imgur video of the wheel spinning. I'm still learning how to make media appear on here.)

I've mostly skated bones stf, and rictas for street/park skating and a some ojs and satoris for cruiser wheels.

Contact them here and make sure to include where you bought them from and include all relevant media.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/guaranteed/

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4736 on: March 11, 2022, 05:53:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Fuck it for £20 cheaper it’s worth a punt, they’re already going on my 10” egg, AF1 77 so might as well experiment. Plus the pale blue n black core is hot

I just got the 58s.  They look cool but so far I’ve had a mental block to actually setting them up on my board cause they’re so much more narrow than all the conical, v-cut, and radial shape wheels I’ve skated recently.  Gonna take the plunge and throw them on there this week. 

Qebrus

« Reply #4737 on: March 12, 2022, 12:36:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I just got the 58s.  They look cool but so far I’ve had a mental block to actually setting them up on my board cause they’re so much more narrow than all the conical, v-cut, and radial shape wheels I’ve skated recently.  Gonna take the plunge and throw them on there this week.

Very similar mindset to me then. Never really given the classic cut much of a go. Looking proper good though!

Justrollingthru

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4738 on: March 12, 2022, 01:03:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Contact them here and make sure to include where you bought them from and include all relevant media.

Yeah holy shit thanks I had no idea it was like that.

I'm not trashing spitfire, I'm still hyped. It's my first pair and I think spitfire is sick but for real tho. out of all the wheels I've ever skated; Bones, ricta, satori, board brand wheels, haha flip tri cuts was my first "real" wheel, but all that to say I've never had an issue with any other wheel like this. Every other wheel had rolled straight.

And yeah I emailed them, Cameron something got back to me and requested all the required stuff. I provided all the required shit including video and it's been two days and I've heard nothing. I'm honestly getting kinda butt hurt now.

Really hoping to get a replacement set. Hell I even started off asking for just one wheel to get sent to me.

Boog

• Rep: 201
« Reply #4739 on: March 12, 2022, 04:19:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah holy shit thanks I had no idea it was like that.

I'm not trashing spitfire, I'm still hyped. It's my first pair and I think spitfire is sick but for real tho. out of all the wheels I've ever skated; Bones, ricta, satori, board brand wheels, haha flip tri cuts was my first "real" wheel, but all that to say I've never had an issue with any other wheel like this. Every other wheel had rolled straight.

And yeah I emailed them, Cameron something got back to me and requested all the required stuff. I provided all the required shit including video and it's been two days and I've heard nothing. I'm honestly getting kinda butt hurt now.

Really hoping to get a replacement set. Hell I even started off asking for just one wheel to get sent to me.
You could have just taken them back to the shop you got them from and asked for a different pair. I know the guys at my shop have no problem replacing faulty gear and it would be alot easier for them to get ahold of a dlx rep to get an extra pair added to their inventory.