Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797499 times)

Mulldrifter and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6720 on: August 14, 2023, 07:32:33 PM »
Having ridden the 99a V3, not sure I'd ever go back after the x99 (riding 53mm V1 x99s right now); 103a V3s are a different story - favorite wheel for smooth surfaces (even transition).

While he's correct on grind room and weight reduction...all he did was manual tricks? You can manual on any wheel...at least back up your review with some other shit.

Troubadour26

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #6721 on: August 14, 2023, 08:23:21 PM »
riding OJ mini super juices again. My friend Cody who works at Eastern Skateboard Supply in Wilmington knows that I love them and got me a set for Christmas. The color way is called Jamaican Sunrise which he mistakenly called Tequila Moonrises haha (which I think that I like better)

I really love the Mini Supers

55mm & 78a durometer, I forget the width but they are a very wide wheel, which I think is what I like most about them

They’re sticky on rails and coping sometimes but it makes getting a grind with them even more rewarding

I’m scared to bash into walls with them because they’re so soft, I get wheelbite if I don’t land centered most of the time, they’re tricky

but they fun to ride around town and through crust

all tricks must be rotated completely in the air on them too

Last year, at the indoor skatepark in Greensboro, I got a backside flip over a plastic triton barrier in a riding a set. I think that’s a trick I will forever be stoked on and riding away on smooth factory cement floors on soft wheels felt really cool

I had a pair of 56mm Dragon’s through last Fall, Winter, & Spring

Another great wheel I’d return to.

before these I rode Formula Four Spits since they came out. I like conical fulls when they’re in stock

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #6722 on: August 14, 2023, 09:06:27 PM »
After riding the x99s for a few weeks I don't even wanna go back to my loophole v. I was getting knee pain after a while on the loopholes but the x99 is as smooth as a Corvette with magnaride in comparison. Slides fucking good too. Ultimate carving setup with some royals.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6723 on: August 14, 2023, 10:37:34 PM »
I wasn’t impressed by the 99 STF’s….and I rode a couple sets…they just felt kinda dead…I think the consensus on here was they were underwhelming…

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6724 on: August 14, 2023, 11:27:20 PM »
After riding the x99s for a few weeks I don't even wanna go back to my loophole v. I was getting knee pain after a while on the loopholes but the x99 is as smooth as a Corvette with magnaride in comparison. Slides fucking good too. Ultimate carving setup with some royals.

X99 / Royal Gang represent!

For sure less knee pain, underrated bonus.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 11:45:56 PM by Xen »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6725 on: August 14, 2023, 11:30:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

X99 / Royal Gang represent!

Ever ride the Royal in 149 / 159 @Xen ?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6726 on: August 15, 2023, 04:46:35 AM »
Yes, just got off 159s, back on 149s

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #6727 on: August 15, 2023, 05:01:07 AM »
Having ridden the 99a V3, not sure I'd ever go back after the x99 (riding 53mm V1 x99s right now); 103a V3s are a different story - favorite wheel for smooth surfaces (even transition).

While he's correct on grind room and weight reduction...all he did was manual tricks? You can manual on any wheel...at least back up your review with some other shit.

Hmm would you say the v3 is similar to a teardrop or classic spitfire shape? I may give the 103 a chance I’m going through the madness again
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6728 on: August 15, 2023, 07:38:57 AM »
Had another session on the x99s. Still getting used to the V5 shape after coming from f4 conicals. Skated a nice cement park and they slide great or as good as f4s. They did make some funny noises on 5050s on a box but not on crooks. I have no reason to switch back to f4s at this time
Bones stilll made in USA? Just curious I didn’t look on the package.

Trying get on that Royal x99 tip but I just can’t get the Royal to feel as stable as they did when I first got  them. So I’m on ventures. But man I’m chasing how the royals first felt
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 11:10:43 AM by Murge »

Sk8 Prick

• Rep: -8
« Reply #6729 on: August 15, 2023, 08:36:49 AM »
I've been riding the same set of Bones easy streets since they came out and I'm interested in the x99. Anyone have experience with both? While the easy streets are definitely the most forgiving wheels I've ridden (which I like), I find they can be kind of dangerous when coming around a corner with too much speed. I have slid out many times with no intention of doing so. I'm looking for a soft and fast wheel that has more predictable traction, but slides good on ledges and rails.

Also, are easy streets just STF 99s or a different formula?

thx

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6730 on: August 15, 2023, 10:08:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hmm would you say the v3 is similar to a teardrop or classic spitfire shape? I may give the 103 a chance I’m going through the madness again

The V3 is nothing like either. It's pretty much it's own thing...teardrop seem closer to a V1 below. V3s make classics look massively round.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #6731 on: August 15, 2023, 10:21:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The V3 is nothing like either. It's pretty much it's own thing...teardrop seem closer to a V1 below. V3s make classics look massively round.

I did skate a pair of those satori vinyl cuts and they were alright, flatspotted bad, I may pull the trigger on a set of bones, and flip the graphics in so no one notices, see if I like em thanks for the info xen…you da man
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6732 on: August 15, 2023, 10:53:50 AM »
These are the V3s I have (52mm)
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Bones_STF_Lockwood_Metal_103a_V3_Wheels/descpage-BSLMEWH.html

I didn't find them offensive (FWIW it seems the 99s have a much different graphic style - usually a less robust graphic and fewer colors); plus lockwood rips (despite the hat) in tranny riding slim wheels and thunders ;)

Also interesting, go to the bones wheels page and under STF they have only a handful, one wheel in a few shapes. Odd.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 11:12:31 AM by Xen »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6733 on: August 15, 2023, 12:14:22 PM »
if youre gonna go STF, you gotta just go as dumb as possible. 103a or else what are you even riding them for? dont expect grip from these wheels... if you want some grip, def ride a X Formula or a F4.

riding OJ mini super juices again.

I just got em they are pretty fun wheels, I actually am not a huge fan of the shape BUT that shape is incredible for manuals and I feel super safe on these wheels. IMO the ultimate cruiser wheel but kinda trash for tricks. i have done slappy crook on them and shit but i try to avoid it, i am really babying them as i have heard they are easy to chunk.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6734 on: August 15, 2023, 01:28:13 PM »
I've been riding the same set of Bones easy streets since they came out and I'm interested in the x99. Anyone have experience with both? While the easy streets are definitely the most forgiving wheels I've ridden (which I like), I find they can be kind of dangerous when coming around a corner with too much speed. I have slid out many times with no intention of doing so. I'm looking for a soft and fast wheel that has more predictable traction, but slides good on ledges and rails.

Also, are easy streets just STF 99s or a different formula?

thx

Different formula / Night and Day difference.

The 99a easy streets is one of my favorite wheels of all time, I really liked the way they felt and am bummed they're gone. They were a different formula from the old STFs and for sure different than the crappy, off white 99a STF that's out there now (which as noted above feel dead); When Bones decided to go brown (dirty birds...man let's hope that intern got let go for that naming convention) to compete with spitatos, they fucked their whole line, including the regular (now softer feeling) 103a STF, which now feel like OLD 99a STFs to me. The old 103a STFs (white or colors) were so damn hard.

x99s are totally different in terms of rebound/absorption in comparison; the easy streets were still a 'hard wheel' by today's standards, the x99s, while they perform like a hard wheel, they just don't feel like one, and take some getting used to as the 'feedback' we're all used to from our wheels is different with them.

x99s are as close as you are going to get to a spit 99a/old easy street 99a, with very little sacrifice, especially if you desire a soft feeling wheel for crust.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 11:03:09 AM by Xen »

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #6735 on: August 15, 2023, 03:46:25 PM »
I have two sessions on my 93a Dragons and damn…I like them. The curb spot is great and I even rolled around the park with them…they seemed okay to me. I actually like the slide they have. I’ve never been this stoked on new wheels…till now. The last pair of Powell wheels I had crumbled early, so I hope that is not the case here. These shits were like $50 after tax!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 02:50:16 AM by FUBAR »

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #6736 on: August 15, 2023, 11:01:00 PM »
Re: wheel shapes and Bones -- y'all gotta keep in mind that "wide" is a highly relative term when it comes to Bones. E.g. the V4 Wide shape is in reality pretty slim in today's standards, especially when compared to the F4 shapes.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6737 on: August 16, 2023, 05:57:52 AM »
Gonna be hard to resist that AA wheel when it comes out, depending how x97 feels to me might finally have the elusive “one” wheel for all there.

Got them.

These wheels are just about perfect for a real wide bord (9.5) I’d tried a few offset type wheels before this… performance varied in a lot of ways. Briefly tried Dragon Rat Bones too but 60mm was a bit tanky, 52mm is far nimbler.

I wouldn’t actually have complained if the AA wheels had been in the 93a formula…. now I’ve ridden both, feel like the softer ones are more pleasingly “old school” but it’s not a deal breaker.

I’ve not tested them on wood ramps fully yet but they seemed to grip enough, just wasn’t warmed up enough to push it (I’d prefer grip here… some 97s I’ve tried were still surprisingly icy).

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6738 on: August 16, 2023, 06:04:06 AM »
Funny though for all the deserved Powell hype….

I’m still extremely happy with Conical Full F4 97s everywhere else (if park, go to 101s)

Hope they don’t go out of production… these are getting ridden to the bearings.

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #6739 on: August 16, 2023, 07:40:44 AM »
Does anyone know if they're planning nano cubics in other sizes? Would love some 56's for my 10" Lucero cross.

I'm really enjoying the X97's, glad I gave them another chance. Going to keep them on my main setup. Fast, smooth, predictable, and definitely more grip than F4's. Starting to dig how they're a bit quieter (must be getting old).

rikki

« Reply #6740 on: August 16, 2023, 08:11:19 AM »
Does anyone know if they're planning nano cubics in other sizes? Would love some 56's for my 10" Lucero cross.

I'm really enjoying the X97's, glad I gave them another chance. Going to keep them on my main setup. Fast, smooth, predictable, and definitely more grip than F4's. Starting to dig how they're a bit quieter (must be getting old).

Very similar feelings about the X97, and for me too it took a couple of sessions to realize how great they are. Funnily enough first impression wasn't amazing, but now that I've skated them more they are definitely keepers. Frankly prefer them over Dragons at the moment.

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #6741 on: August 16, 2023, 08:35:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Very similar feelings about the X97, and for me too it took a couple of sessions to realize how great they are. Funnily enough first impression wasn't amazing, but now that I've skated them more they are definitely keepers. Frankly prefer them over Dragons at the moment.

Agreed, they don't give up much to the Dragons for smoothness, and are faster and livelier (if that's a thing).

rikki

« Reply #6742 on: August 16, 2023, 09:31:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agreed, they don't give up much to the Dragons for smoothness, and are faster and livelier (if that's a thing).

Definitely a thing. I keep saying to people that they feel more like a "real" wheel whereas Dragons are (although amazing) more of an anomaly, really. A good one at that, but still one that ultimately feels a bit weird.

Sk8 Prick

• Rep: -8
« Reply #6743 on: August 16, 2023, 06:20:58 PM »
The 99a easy streets is one of my favorite wheels of all time, I really liked the way they felt and am bummed they're gone. They were a different formula from the old STFs and for sure different than the crappy, off white 99a STF that's out there now (which as noted above feel dead); When Bones decided to go brown (dirty birds...man let's hope that intern got let go for that naming convention) to compete with spitatos, they fucked their whole line, including the regular (now softer feeling) 103a STF, which now feel like OLD 99a STFs to me. The old 103a STFs (white or colors) were so damn hard.

x99s are totally different in terms of rebound/absorption in comparison; the easy streets were still a 'hard wheel' by today's standards, the x99s, while they perform like a hard wheel, they just don't feel like one, and take some getting used to as the 'feedback' we're all used to from our wheels is different with them.

x99s are as close as you are going to get to a spit 99a/old easy street 99a, with very little sacrifice, especially if you desire a soft feeling wheel for crust.

Thanks for the reply. I remember looking into getting some more easy streets before the x formula was revealed and being confused that I couldn't find them anywhere, despite them being what I thought was bones' most recent flagship formula. I also agree that the dirty birds looked disgusting and had a stupid name. I like my wheels to have a super synthetic white color, closer to a blue or translucent tint rather than yellow.

Sounds like I'll be checking out the x99s in the future. I measured my easy streets when swapping my trucks recently and they were 45mm. Still have some life though 8)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6744 on: August 16, 2023, 07:54:54 PM »
The x99s, while not bleach white, do have that blue white translucency about that. They're even whiter than new, regular STF 103s.

Whitest wheels out are snot or Ricta. They're white white.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6745 on: August 17, 2023, 06:37:48 AM »
What is the most optimal way to rotate your wheels?

rikki

« Reply #6746 on: August 17, 2023, 07:13:07 AM »

FAST AS FUCK

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #6747 on: August 17, 2023, 07:40:59 AM »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6748 on: August 17, 2023, 05:04:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@Mbrimson88 posted about it a few days ago

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120185.msg4066367#msg4066367

Yeah thanks!

Putting it here in this thread at least for anyone else:

Expand Quote
Ok so, I feel really stupid even asking this, but with Spitifire's lock in shape, it means you can't rotate your wheels to get more life out of them right? Or just a different riding experience?
[close]

you're not gonna cone F4's. you can move them front to back, right side, left side, ect, ect... and that will even out any wheel size differences, there's no need to flip F4's inside out.

It comes down to how someone skates.

I just got a set of F4 back from someone who had never rotated them, so the starting 56 mm, now 55 (front heel) 54 and solidly coned (front toe) 52 (back heel) and 51 slightly coned (back toe) I was just wondering what the person was doing for however long they had them to wear like that, but most people who do rotate wheels never have those sort of end results.

Front toe and back toe to some degree wear more on the outside edge, front heel not much at all, back heel wears more on the inside edge, so as said, rotating them in various ways usually keeps any issues from coming up too much, more so front toe to back heel, back toe to front heel, then to back heel if needed.

Any asymmetrical shaped wheel can have issues though, especially if you don't want to ever flip them over and skate them inwards, but I haven't seen the new ones to see if they are center set or offset in the bearing seat.  If they are center set, then it is not such a big deal to flip them over, but if offset, then you are going to have some very different experiences skating them graphics out or graphics in.

I'm lost when it comes to wheel shapes, but my question is with something like a conical, can you skate them flipped? I've always skated classics mainly, to the best of my memory, and have always put the graphics inward, just as a habit probably from watching pros do it. Can I still do that with a shaped wheel or does that defeat the purpose? Thanks pals

Almost every other shape on the market is symmetrical, so it doesn't matter if you ride them graphics in or out and a lot of people flip them with odd wear patterns too, so some will be in and some out on the same board.  A "cool way" to do it for a lot of people was three in and one out, not that I have ever been into the cool way to do things, but I think they always had the back heel out so they wouldn't have to look at the graphic but still showed what wheel they were on, or something like that.

For those that remove graphics, it makes it easier to ride them any which way you like, but more often than not, graphics in was the more simple and clean look from the 90s right through to the present.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

diplodocus

• Rep: 159
  • long neck
« Reply #6749 on: August 17, 2023, 09:21:02 PM »
Can someone advise me on wheels? Currently in my first bout of wheel madness.

Usually i’ve just been someone who rides classics. I think the last 4 wheels have all been classics/classic shapes. I finally decided to switch it up as my skating has changed, and I wanted to experiment what would be more optimal. before my current wheels I was using 101 Ez edge oj wheels. Really liked those

I tried OJ 101 Elite Hardline (conical shape) for better lock in on grinds. Little did i know, I do not like the way they lock in at all. It’s almost too locked in if that makes sense. I don’t like the square edge for these reasons. I also noticed it’s a lot easier to hang up on 5-0 fakie and other tricks where you’re using heel/toe pressure to back in a ramp. Haven’t tried slappies yet but the square edge has me worried. Doesn’t slide as well.

So i’m thinking I still want to try a wheel that’s wider than a classic shape, but not as wide as a conical full type shape. Any suggestions? I was looking at radials and the regular conicals, but i don’t know much about other brands. Maybe I’m naive that the regular conicals would be that much different but it looks pretty skinny.

I’m a transition skater, smaller stuff, no huge bowls or vert. But lots of tight transition and the occasional flip tricks.