Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797526 times)

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 791
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7020 on: October 23, 2023, 03:26:05 AM »
Speaking of Loophole...
Since they are very probably using hlc, thank you for posting the catalog a few pages ago,
https://mfg.hlcdist.com/wp-content/uploads/catalogos/hlc-oem-catalogue-skateboard.pdf

I couldn't help but notice that on Loophole's site they're saying all of their new wheels are 100a. Cross checking with the catalog, the MT shape for example, only comes in at 98a. But what does a Butter formula feel like? I sent them a message but they didn't answer of course. Shops around here don't carry them, so ordering and getting an unwanted surprise isn't much fun. How conflicting. I may just end up buying F4s again.

jart sent a blank set of 98a butter formula wheels to the shop for us to try out, they were 54mm and conical shape. i gave em to a homie but skated em on his set up and they felt like a slightly worse f4 (99). good grip, decent slide (comparable to a f4 on smooth ground, worse on not so smooth ground - if i remember them right, even the 97a f4 broke into slides easier on harsher ground, but these butters slide ok too, it just takes more effort), they hold speed well, the slides have a loud and satisfying sound and they work alright on shitty ground, maybe even a little better than the 99 f4, but worse than the 97 f4. never had dragons or x formulas or anything bones in the last 10 years so nothing to say there. basically they're pretty good wheels. i think that's the closest a wheel felt to a f4 i've ridden, but they still don't feel like f4s.

oh yeah and they flatspotted on him later, but it evened out pretty quick.

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #7021 on: October 23, 2023, 05:34:41 AM »
Any insider information about more bones X formula shapes coming soon? I'm waiting for the two shapes they left out so far, V2 or V3.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7022 on: October 23, 2023, 01:06:54 PM »
I just noticed that dragons have trouble sticking to barriers.

I'm over it. GD this sucks
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #7023 on: October 23, 2023, 01:47:16 PM »
Let’s hope third times a charm:

Gonna do a bunch of shuvs and hope they don’t lock up again. I have a feeling they’ll be fine. No way I’ll get three defective sets of Spitfires back-to-back-to-back.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7024 on: October 23, 2023, 06:34:27 PM »

Gonna do a bunch of shuvs and hope they don’t lock up again. I have a feeling they’ll be fine. No way I’ll get three defective sets of Spitfires back-to-back-to-back.

Got my replacement wheels. Let’s hope these also don’t lock up. I love this shape. Hopefully it being slightly softer helps too in this cold weather. I only skate smooth tennis courts, but there’s lots of leafs and those spinner things on them lately since it’s fall.

So just checking, which wheels did you have before - Kader puffs in what size?

I see you now have Radial Full 97 duro 54 mm, which are having the same issue?

The set of the Radial Full 97 duro 54 mm wheels I have are doing fine, as are some Kader puffs I got too (thankfully) but it is definitely something to check and make sure, as per other sets I have that I am yet to skate / setup, which I am going to just make sure the bearings are seated correctly, rather than sit on them indefinitely and then realise that there is a problem with them later on.

I think that post got lost - last post on the last page, so I am guessing you didn't see it.

Hopefully they work nicely for you!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7025 on: October 24, 2023, 03:20:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

Got my replacement wheels. Let’s hope these also don’t lock up. I love this shape. Hopefully it being slightly softer helps too in this cold weather. I only skate smooth tennis courts, but there’s lots of leafs and those spinner things on them lately since it’s fall.
[close]

So just checking, which wheels did you have before - Kader puffs in what size?

I see you now have Radial Full 97 duro 54 mm, which are having the same issue?

The set of the Radial Full 97 duro 54 mm wheels I have are doing fine, as are some Kader puffs I got too (thankfully) but it is definitely something to check and make sure, as per other sets I have that I am yet to skate / setup, which I am going to just make sure the bearings are seated correctly, rather than sit on them indefinitely and then realise that there is a problem with them later on.

I think that post got lost - last post on the last page, so I am guessing you didn't see it.

Hopefully they work nicely for you!
I had the Kaders in 54, the 97a in 54 too, both RFs. Both locked up. My new ones are the Lock-In Fulls in 55. Gonna test them in a few hours 😃

Glad yours work!

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7026 on: October 24, 2023, 06:25:44 AM »
Happy to report that the Lock-In Fulls work flawlessly! Did 50 shuvs to test them and rode my board both ways. They’re great for going over leafs and debris 🍁

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7027 on: October 24, 2023, 03:58:40 PM »
Happy to report that the Lock-In Fulls work flawlessly! Did 50 shuvs to test them and rode my board both ways. They’re great for going over leafs and debris 🍁

Yeah, glad for that.

I also like the fact that the newer ones, both regular and full shapes are not completely flat backed, like the regular ones used to be, so they do feel a lot more like the OJ Mini Combo shape, slightly more rounded almost like a Radial on the inside edge and more like a Conical Full on the outside edge.

Vexed

• Rep: 10
« Reply #7028 on: October 25, 2023, 10:49:49 AM »
Any insider information about more bones X formula shapes coming soon? I'm waiting for the two shapes they left out so far, V2 or V3.

Response I received from skateone:

“ As of now, we are still discussing the shapes and sizes to manufacture. I will go ahead and report your feedback to the manager to see if that shape is something that will be produced in the future.”

evan.tuazon

• Rep: 4
« Reply #7029 on: October 25, 2023, 10:55:54 AM »
loophole wheels are hella grippy

coming from skating spitfire f4s literally all the time,

I tried to powerslide in front of my homie and i ate it hahaha

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #7030 on: October 25, 2023, 12:04:02 PM »
loophole wheels are hella grippy

from the newest batch im assuming?

evan.tuazon

• Rep: 4
« Reply #7031 on: October 25, 2023, 02:44:01 PM »
Expand Quote
loophole wheels are hella grippy x

[close]

yeah they were these ones

i just got too obsessive with branding i guess... i just wanted to support local brands (sf) but i didn't really think about the function of it. they're all hand made which is really impressive, they have a lot of imperfections but are still a functioning wheel. i just wouldnt take them down our steep ass sf hills.

maybe if i was skating a super slippery LA park, i'd def rock them...

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #7032 on: October 25, 2023, 02:46:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i just got too obsessive with branding i guess... i just wanted to support local brands (sf) but i didn't really think about the function of it. they're all hand made which is really impressive, they have a lot of imperfections but are still a functioning wheel. i just wouldnt take them down our steep ass sf hills.

ah yeah technically the second newest batch, they switched up wheel manufacturers again

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #7033 on: October 25, 2023, 03:17:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yea these are from acid wheel co I think, that coke white is a giveaway
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

231st Street

• Rep: -207
« Reply #7034 on: October 25, 2023, 04:04:21 PM »
Usual 58 mm FF 97a or 99a rider with first dragon 58 mm 93a coming in mail. Going to attempt to use for neighborhood street skating.  Last time I had bones were the skatepark tech formula which I absolutely hated-- sounded like plastic, though ill admit were absurdly fast in smooth bowls, so I really have no reference Powell wheel frame of reference for cruisers.  Ran some Powell bombers on a cruiser way back in the day that I largely enjoyed.  In the past, I've had trouble 180ing on softer than 97a wheels, so curious how this will go.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 05:18:32 PM by BronxRiverKook »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7035 on: October 25, 2023, 07:06:54 PM »
The good homie sending some rescue spits in 58.

Gonna celebrate with trying to film a line. I have trouble asking people to film me.

To get like a good trick in a line that's exciting at 45 is almost afools errand.

Unless you got like a whole day with the perfect like two ledges in a row and a down ass filmer.

Get some 270 action going. That's allit really takes. Try to mirror that shit or something.

Now you're being a true skate board artist in my opinion.

I hope some fresh wheels will ignite that within my future.
(A)pl(E)

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7036 on: October 26, 2023, 06:48:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Response I received from skateone:

“ As of now, we are still discussing the shapes and sizes to manufacture. I will go ahead and report your feedback to the manager to see if that shape is something that will be produced in the future.”

Thanks for that. Super weird to me, just sell your usual shapes bones...please?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7037 on: October 26, 2023, 06:53:54 AM »
Weirdest shit:

Been on these X99 for about 20hrs now. I do a ton of noseslides and crooks and I calipered all my wheels last night and all but my front heelside wheel are 53.25 (thanks Bones for extra mm!) and that wheel is 52.2. It's also more coned.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7038 on: October 26, 2023, 07:49:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Anyone try their newest newest batch? The color is promising but it really is a shame that MFG got out of the business. That formula was my favorite and was considering switching from f4 before they called it quits.

EDIT: I just saw the talk of the HLC wheels above that I missed earlier. Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 08:45:42 AM by camel filters »

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7039 on: October 26, 2023, 08:04:16 AM »
I haven’t heard back from Deluxe after I showed them my second set of RFs were defective. But I sent both sets back anyway. Hopefully they send me some other wheels since I’d be out $40. Will never buy that shape again.

I had my second session on the Lock-In Fulls and they skate like a dream. Gonna hold on to these for a minute.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7040 on: October 27, 2023, 05:13:14 PM »

I see the new DLXSF.COM / Spitfire wheels catalog is up, with a new one down the far bottom corner...  Sure they are probably a different wheel, pricepoint / beginner wheel as shown, but I wonder what the deal is with them.

Never seen anything out about them before seeing it here, so I am kind of curious if anyone else has seen or heard about them too?

Also the Ryan Lee Spitfire "filmer" wheel is in there too - looks like a Super Juice / Penny type wheel profile, but at least that one I had seen and knew was coming out.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/fall-2023-drop-2/

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7041 on: October 27, 2023, 07:27:05 PM »

I see the new DLXSF.COM / Spitfire wheels catalog is up, with a new one down the far bottom corner...  Sure they are probably a different wheel, pricepoint / beginner wheel as shown, but I wonder what the deal is with them.

Never seen anything out about them before seeing it here, so I am kind of curious if anyone else has seen or heard about them too?

Also the Ryan Lee Spitfire "filmer" wheel is in there too - looks like a Super Juice / Penny type wheel profile, but at least that one I had seen and knew was coming out.

I bet
These and the sapphires are factory seconds that got cut and pushed out there.

I think it's the same with the dragons at 93a.

Bones put out what they thought was going to be the weakest product in killer old shapes and with a new gospel for Old timers knees. Then followed up with a slightly stronger one until they arrived at Andy's wheel. Which probably has all the kinks worked out. Or they need his name power to get out from underneath the back stock of soft shit.

Bet spit does it too. Skate the industry probably about to die. It's just going to be us again.

It's a good thing that the worst products of the day are better than the best flat spotted potatoes of my childhood.

I wish spit would do tall and skinny wheel. Clear f4 if possible. Like bones used to do. Hard ass clear wheels.

Or see them do a 66.6mm 99.9a limited run with sane riding surface. Like the Bullet 66s were. Then you can do 7ply risers.

I know of 5 heads around town who would make incredible use of such a tool. They ride speed wheels and reissue bones.

It's gotta be f4 tho or just forget it. Not a soul other than I is going to buy a big vintage shape more than once.

That why I think all else is gotta be factory seconds.
Why fuck around when you got the golden goose and bones dragons ain't even close to #2? Whether people know it or not yet.

I took 4 or so mm off my 58mm dragons. Thats a commitment considering the down sides and I'm 100 street.
I don't wanna die in the morning dew on the way to the bus. I can see it coming.

It is tough going back tho. I miss the coasting.
If dragons weren't so slippery on wet I'd stick it out.
If they had the rat bone two in the x99 I'd try again. I'd try Andy's wheel if it was closer to 60mm

Also
It's probably why they targeted us old folk. We are suckas who bought endless bridge and traction bolts and allowed the industry to sell a standardized version of everything for 30 years.

Besides we need to get these lazy ass 50mm pros flipping in and out at 30 mph ok.
Get um on team big ass wheels. Let go of the ride on grinds too. I wanna see ride on inverts like Gonz in braids but faster
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 03:54:10 PM by Uncle Flea »
(A)pl(E)

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #7042 on: October 28, 2023, 11:03:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Anyone try their newest newest batch? The color is promising but it really is a shame that MFG got out of the business. That formula was my favorite and was considering switching from f4 before they called it quits.

EDIT: I just saw the talk of the HLC wheels above that I missed earlier. Thanks for the info.

Thirsty has them
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #7043 on: October 28, 2023, 11:53:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I bet

Bones put out what they thought was going to be the weakest product in killer old shapes and with a new gospel for Old timers knees. Then followed up with a slightly stronger one until they arrived at Andy's wheel. Which probably has all the kinks worked out. Or they need his name power to get out from underneath the back stock of soft shit.

Bet spit does it too. Skate the industry probably about to die. It's just going to be us again.

It's a good thing that the worst products of the day are better than the best flat spotted potatoes of my childhood.

I wish spit would do tall and skinny wheel. Clear f4 if possible. Like bones used to do. Hard ass clear wheels.

Or see them do a 66.6mm 99.9a limited run with sane riding surface. Like the Bullet 66s were. Then you can do 7ply risers.

I know of 5 heads around town who would make incredible use of such a tool. They ride speed wheels and reissue bones.

It's gotta be f4 tho or just forget it. Not a soul other than I is going to buy a big vintage shape more than once.

Why fuck around when you got the golden goose and bones dragons ain't even close to #2? Whether people know it or not yet.

I took 4 or so mm off my 58mm dragons. Thats a commitment considering the down sides and I'm 100 street.
I don't wanna die in the morning dew on the way to the bus. I can see it coming.

If they had the rat bone two in the x99 I'd try again. I'd try Andy's wheel if it was closer to 60mm

Also
It's probably why they targeted us old folk. We are suckas who bought endless bridge and traction bolts and allowed the industry to sell a standardized version of everything for 30 years.

Besides we need to get these lazy ass 50mm pros flipping in and out at 30 mph ok team big ass wheels. Let's go fuck the ride on grinds too. I wanna see ride on inverts like Gonz in braids but faster

Here’s my guess, these “Burners” are most likely the old F-1 urethane in 99 instead of the 98 and 100 they used to come in before F-4. Probably an attempt to get some of the market share from Bones entry level 100s.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7044 on: October 29, 2023, 06:33:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I bet

Also

Besides we need to get these lazy ass 50mm pros flipping in and out at 30 mph ok team big ass wheels. Let's go fuck the ride on grinds too. I wanna see ride on inverts like Gonz in braids but faster
[close]

Here’s my guess, these “Burners” are most likely the old F-1 urethane in 99 instead of the 98 and 100 they used to come in before F-4. Probably an attempt to get some of the market share from Bones entry level 100s.

Hmm. I never got to try that stuff I don't think.

I had Bones DTF I got them at Brick house I think. It's the only early no flat spot formula wheel I tried.

These wheels scream Jagger Eaton Pro Middle.

Our kids would never. They want War Paint mix with f4 just like me
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7045 on: November 01, 2023, 09:04:28 AM »

Flat spot city.

As for Dragons/X Fomula...I feel more pros are using them on the downlow...Bones called out the boss riding them (could jsut be testing them out); Prods riding them 'out in the streets'...they've a bigger reach than you think, regardless how you feel about them and && nano cubic wheel isn't going to change anything market-wise.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 09:22:43 AM by Xen »

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #7046 on: November 01, 2023, 09:15:48 AM »
spitfire brought back the OG classics in F4 formula

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7047 on: November 01, 2023, 09:21:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Flat spot city.

Good old Shitfires

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7048 on: November 01, 2023, 09:23:26 AM »
spitfire brought back the OG classics in F4 formula
Is there a big difference between the OG classics and regular conicals? Seems like they're the same shape with a slightly wider riding surface

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #7049 on: November 01, 2023, 02:07:52 PM »

I'd wager the deal is simply Spitfire trying to offer a product that absolute beginners might consider. Sure, there are those types of people who always get the high end stuff even if they just dip their toes into something, but the majority of people will get an entry level product first. Here in Europe F4s go for 70 Euros now (about 116 AUSD for my friends Down Under), not many beginners are willing to invest that much into wheels if there are options that cost them less than half. If these are going for, say, 40 Euros, I can see people pay a little more to get some Spitfires because consumers in general are drawn to the products of high(er)-end brands even if they can't or won't splurge for the real top of the line stuff. See any and all outlet malls for that general mechanism... So long story short, probably no real value added to the market with those things.