Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797514 times)

Allen., DERBY and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7260 on: December 13, 2023, 07:49:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Keyframes are shitty wheels imo, slow as f*ck and won't slide at all. If you're actually looking for a wheel for crusty park + cruising with which you can do some tricks on, get 56mm Dragons.
[close]

I agree. I can slide key frames but it whips back to forward and you seem to have the same amount of speed.
So sliding only helps with when you need to avoid getting run over or hitting someone walking or whatever.

I don't think I'd ever get a wheel softer than 95a again. I might cop the Nano Cubic. I saw them but I'm going to check orchard for Funks first.

I need a 60mm wheel to tide me over till spring.
[close]

I got keyframes two years ago because I heard good things about them. I hated them instantly after the first day. Dragons 93a are the shit. I saw nanocubics shape in 60mm and 93a, should be a fun wheel for cruising too. They also have 64mm Dragons but too scared of that size.  :D
[close]

Yeah I'm on 58 mm dragons rn. I need like a spit. Im just trying to decide between the og and the regular classic.

I might just get the tallest 97a spit I can find.

The off set nano would probably exaggerate my double sided curb issues. I gotta subtract truck real estate to find the balance.

Og probably.

I'm going to just set up my dragons when I got to skate to Lynn or whatever
[close]

https://www.havocskateboards.com/product/spitfire-jeff-carlyle-formula-four-97a-conical-full-58mm/1387

i think this would be what youre looking for, only place i found them in stock

I almost copped the Funk 60s. But I had to decrease the weight of my current and I couldn't find the Funk 54s so I wound up copping the 54mm radial full in 97.

It's a bummer. That graphic is heat. Lucky kid got a good one. Sometimes the Graff thing don't work but those were good.

I watched all the funk footage that was dropped since last year I thought yeah. He goes. No way tho on the 60. If I was on 5.6s sure but I'm on 6.1s.

Then I watched Thorne review. Best wheel ever? He's on 58s.
I trust that kid.
He rides all the shapes and reissues of stuff I started out on. Good reviews.

He agreed that it's one of the best wheels to decrease the real estate of my trucks.
 I cant skate the curb I been skating for like almost 2 years on because it Lego locks  any grind that's not crook pinch.

If I don't like um I'll just try again in a month or so.

I didn't buy V6 x99s because I don't wanna buy something and have it be not quite wide enough to fix my issue.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 08:42:35 PM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #7261 on: December 14, 2023, 12:07:11 AM »
The graphics on a set of Dragons I have basically came off with a canned air duster. No joke.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #7262 on: December 14, 2023, 07:00:06 AM »
Ricta wheel graphics can be wiped off with acetone and a rag.

I just bought a few sets of discounted Spitfire pro classics. You need a blade to remove the graphics, but I learned a good method. Not as quick as acetone, but a fully blanked wheel is worth the couple minutes it takes.

Our park has a metal ledge, I just turn my new wheels to the inside and do some 5050s…graphics gone
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Fast_Freddie

• Rep: 64
    • SOMD Skateboard Association avatar image
« Reply #7263 on: December 14, 2023, 10:42:50 AM »
Got a couple sets of the Vu Skateshop x Bones x99 to try out.  Currently skating a Spitfire F4 Classic 53, so hopefully it won't be too drastic...

What is everone's opinion on the Bones x99?

Link for those interested
https://vuskateboardshop.com/collections/skateboard-wheels/products/bones-x-vu-x99-collab-wheels-53mm?variant=43640565039271

rikki

« Reply #7264 on: December 15, 2023, 12:14:17 AM »

I've voiced my opinion about them here many times, and it hasn't changed after riding them for a while now. A great wheel. The main advantage for me with them is that they are less slippery for e.g. dusty indoor parks/plywood than F4 99, yet still fast and feeling like a real wheel, as opposed to e.g. Dragons. Slides great, too. Honestly I think it's the second-best wheel on the market right now after F4, and even trumps the F4 in certain conditions.

JimmyFive

• Rep: 58
« Reply #7265 on: December 15, 2023, 03:10:54 AM »
Got a couple sets of the Vu Skateshop x Bones x99 to try out.  Currently skating a Spitfire F4 Classic 53, so hopefully it won't be too drastic...

https://vuskateboardshop.com/collections/skateboard-wheels/products/bones-x-vu-x99-collab-wheels-53mm?variant=43640565039271

Honestly X99 is a revalation. The speed of F4101 and the chirpyness of a hard wheel but with the impact absorbtion, soft landings and crust slaying ability of the Dragon 93A. Maybe the best wheel on the market right now. Enjoy!

JimmyFive

• Rep: 58
« Reply #7266 on: December 15, 2023, 03:15:45 AM »
Concur with the previous poster - they also grip well in indoor environs, definitely more grip than F499 but still have similar slide characteristics to the Dragon. Really nice and reliable grip/slip when you get the hang of them

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7267 on: December 15, 2023, 04:29:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Honestly X99 is a revalation. The speed of F4101 and the chirpyness of a hard wheel but with the impact absorbtion, soft landings and crust slaying ability of the Dragon 93A. Maybe the best wheel on the market right now. Enjoy!

You just sold me...Im grabbing a pair from SW since they are 30 percent off right now. Thanks for the info on them.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7268 on: December 15, 2023, 07:24:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've voiced my opinion about them here many times, and it hasn't changed after riding them for a while now. A great wheel. The main advantage for me with them is that they are less slippery for e.g. dusty indoor parks/plywood than F4 99, yet still fast and feeling like a real wheel, as opposed to e.g. Dragons. Slides great, too. Honestly I think it's the second-best wheel on the market right now after F4, and even trumps the F4 in certain conditions.

I agree with this, but slightly prefer the 97 if I was to go with the X series. Mostly because I found the 99 not really much, if any, less grippy on coping or faster on smooth surfaces so why not get the extra grip and damping? The V5 shape is especially good and basically the perfect shape for me in the Bones lineup.

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 17
  • fresh
« Reply #7269 on: December 15, 2023, 07:44:08 AM »
are ghetto child wheels any good?
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.

rikki

« Reply #7270 on: December 15, 2023, 08:02:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I agree with this, but slightly prefer the 97 if I was to go with the X series. Mostly because I found the 99 not really much, if any, less grippy on coping or faster on smooth surfaces so why not get the extra grip and damping? The V5 shape is especially good and basically the perfect shape for me in the Bones lineup.

The X97 is a great wheel, too. It's just my personal experience that the X99 FEELS faster. Cannot say objectively. For certain surfaces the X97 feels a bit too damp for my taste. But then again on e.g. certain type of asphalt it's amazing.

And yes, the V5 really is the perfect shape.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 02:05:24 AM by rikki »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7271 on: December 15, 2023, 09:43:09 AM »

IMO and I think this reflects most of Slap:
Spitfire F4, Bones X series, mayyyyybe Bones STF are the most preferred/highest quality wheels.

Below that NFG had a dedicated following but they're out of business and there are only 2 major wheel manufacturers that make most brands. I dunno who makes Ghetto Child, but unless its Creative you're looking at a third tier wheel at best. No real reason to ride them over the top 3 choices.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7272 on: December 15, 2023, 12:10:57 PM »

Hell yeah. This is a killer shape. I definitely should have trusted instinct and gone bigger.

No biggie. I realized that my 58mm dragons are now exactly 54mm. I was kinda shocked by that.
In 2023 I burned around 25- 30mm total of urethane.

That's fuckin cool to think about.

These remind me of the DTF formula wheel when I look at um.

Ditch tech formula was the formula that got away. Fuckin whole set up poof vanished.

Anyway here I go to the spot. Gonna check 97s out. I hope my imagination it's spoiled by dragons momentum.

That's hard to give up. Not many hills around here. Spit needs to match that one aspect of the new bones formula if possible.

Maintaining you're speed better was the true power of the new bones shit

Now we're heading into the 60mm plus in the spring it actually doesn't matter that much.

Wheels over 60 mm don't lose to much momentum.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7273 on: December 15, 2023, 12:39:25 PM »
Just skated to the curb. A++ spit is #1
(A)pl(E)

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
« Reply #7274 on: December 15, 2023, 01:53:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

^ yes. Except I like the look of v1 better…. But they have this ugly gold chain graphic. I wish they had the black bar like the v5/v6
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7275 on: December 15, 2023, 01:58:57 PM »

Hell yeah. This is a killer shape. I definitely should have trusted instinct and gone bigger.

No biggie. I realized that my 58mm dragons are now exactly 54mm. I was kinda shocked by that.

Ditch tech formula was the formula that got away. Fuckin whole set up poof vanished.

Anyway here I go to the spot. Gonna check 97s out. I hope my imagination it's spoiled by dragons momentum.

That's hard to give up. Not many hills around here. Spit needs to match that one aspect of the new bones formula if possible.

Now we're heading into the 60mm plus in the spring it actually doesn't matter that much.

That really does look like a fun board to skate.

Those big fat wheels touch something way down deep to when I first got first skateboard in like ‘89 with big wheels like that.

Ever see the end of 2001: space odyssey when he’s turning back into a baby? I kind of feel like that

Fast_Freddie

• Rep: 64
    • SOMD Skateboard Association avatar image
« Reply #7276 on: December 15, 2023, 03:19:16 PM »

Tried out the x99 wheels today, mind you my local park is over 20 years old and the concrete has seen better days. 

Speed:  At my local the x99 felt faster than F499 classic
Slide: Wheel was definitely grippier sliding, but i think will be easy to control, no as “icy” feeling as F499 classic
Grip: Having skated both F499 classic & conical full, the x99 feel like a classic and conical full had a love child… it has the grip & confidence of a conical full with the agility of a classic
Placebo???: As an older skater (46), I felt the wheels definitely took the “shock” out of landing tricks, and my feet definitely thanked me after todays session… not sure if it was the new insoles or wheels, but was a great session today!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 07:49:42 AM by Fast_Freddie »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7277 on: December 15, 2023, 03:32:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
That really does look like a fun board to skate.

Those big fat wheels touch something way down deep to when I first got first skateboard in like ‘89 with big wheels like that.

Ever see the end of 2001: space odyssey when he’s turning back into a baby? I kind of feel like that

I'm really stoked. This wheels got no prob going over the horrendous crust I hit day in day out.

I definitely should have gone 56s but these are so sick

Definitely feeling older wider shapes with this formula
(A)pl(E)

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #7278 on: December 15, 2023, 09:12:10 PM »
Ya, Flea. The 97s work real nice in the wider shapes. My winter wheel for outdoor motivation and indoor slip prevention.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7279 on: December 16, 2023, 10:25:57 AM »
Ya, Flea. The 97s work real nice in the wider shapes. My winter wheel for outdoor motivation and indoor slip prevention.

Shit is so good. Fast af. Good momentum retainment. 97 is the way.

Low bounce too. I'm in heaven almost. Next time we going 60mm. Tho I'd say these are smooth and fast enough that you don't 100 need the extra mils
(A)pl(E)

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #7280 on: December 16, 2023, 11:50:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

IMO and I think this reflects most of Slap:
Spitfire F4, Bones X series, mayyyyybe Bones STF are the most preferred/highest quality wheels.

Below that NFG had a dedicated following but they're out of business and there are only 2 major wheel manufacturers that make most brands. I dunno who makes Ghetto Child, but unless its Creative you're looking at a third tier wheel at best. No real reason to ride them over the top 3 choices.
In the case of lower tier wheels, this time tested idiom applies more than ever: You Pay For What You Get.

EDIT  Also applicable: You Forget What You Pay For.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 12:19:00 PM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7281 on: December 16, 2023, 12:06:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Low bounce too. I'm in heaven almost. Next time we going 60mm. Tho I'd say these are smooth and fast enough that you don't 100 need the extra mils
Are they x97 killers? Because these x97’s are pretty darn great (don’t slide that easily though on smooth skatepark concrete, though).

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #7282 on: December 16, 2023, 12:11:24 PM »
Can confirm Lock-ins might be a slappy secret weapon. The asymmetry will drive me bonkers at some point but for now I'm really enjoying them. It might be perceived but my grinds on curbs and coping are feeling locked and loaded.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7283 on: December 16, 2023, 02:16:21 PM »
Can confirm Lock-ins might be a slappy secret weapon. The asymmetry will drive me bonkers at some point but for now I'm really enjoying them. It might be perceived but my grinds on curbs and coping are feeling locked and loaded.

Skated some ages ago, dismissed them (I got 55s, which could have been the problem and my slappy games was poor compared to now); skating 53mm now...big deal 2mm but I'm feeling this set. Roll on is fine and lock is much more stable than classics, which always had me slipping out on shit with 52mms, even basics.

Coming off bones v1 -> spit conical -> Bones V6s - essentially a radial - I was slipping out of front krooks on the V1s, slappy back feebles on the v6s were amazing just roll in, roll out but couldn't keep it locked for long (long, long grinds), same for regular krooks. Skating spit conicals before the V6s and it's sort of a toss up - I'm not sure how much more stable I am on the lockins over the conicals - but there is slightly more hanger room - and I'd wager the conical side cut is tall enough on bigger wheels 54mm+

...if they work for BevUp, surely they can work for the rest of us?

After the V1/v6s I think I'd rather the lockins have the radial outer instead of the conical.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 02:30:33 PM by Xen »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7284 on: December 16, 2023, 02:56:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Are they x97 killers? Because these x97’s are pretty darn great (don’t slide that easily though on smooth skatepark concrete, though).

I haven't tried the x97.

I'd say if they bounce then yes. I had to kill that before it killed me. Also the moisture issue was extremely problematic. Just the slightest darker discoloration on the bricks means you might slam doing a tick tack for speed.

I can't have that fulltime. I ride 55+ with the fastest bearings I've ever had. And the signs of danger was present day one.

I was bombing out the parking garage and cutting a long fast left into scared and confused traffic. Slipping out the entire time. Like snowboarding on ice.

That's a recipe for disaster.

The small benefits of the dragon can't pull me away from spit.

The Andy Nano almost got bought but I feel like it would have exaggerated my current double sided curb issues while riding the 6.1.

I'm slapping together a Heated Wheel polarizer on the first of the month.

Hopefully the orchard sale will still be going on those decks.

I wish I saw that when I ordered my wheels. Now I just ain't got the bread b

I'm going to throw my 93s 58s on it.

I love polerizers. I would call it my first skate discipline really. I banana boarded from age 5-9. I think because of this Im really competent with the mini bloard.

So long as I don't try edging out in pool coping. That's me begging for a bad day.

Eventually I'd need some really small soft wheels tho. No slide. Like 50mm 80hds or even like the gems or whatever those new spits are called.

Those would be perfect tho not really accurate to my vision

I'd really need like a super mini version of the tablets that are natural clear.

I'm definitely getting the Peter Hewitt board because it's the shortest one.
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7285 on: December 18, 2023, 07:37:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Skated some ages ago, dismissed them (I got 55s, which could have been the problem and my slappy games was poor compared to now); skating 53mm now...big deal 2mm but I'm feeling this set. Roll on is fine and lock is much more stable than classics, which always had me slipping out on shit with 52mms, even basics.

Coming off bones v1 -> spit conical -> Bones V6s - essentially a radial - I was slipping out of front krooks on the V1s, slappy back feebles on the v6s were amazing just roll in, roll out but couldn't keep it locked for long (long, long grinds), same for regular krooks. Skating spit conicals before the V6s and it's sort of a toss up - I'm not sure how much more stable I am on the lockins over the conicals - but there is slightly more hanger room - and I'd wager the conical side cut is tall enough on bigger wheels 54mm+

After the V1/v6s I think I'd rather the lockins have the radial outer instead of the conical.

Took them (and some 103a V3 STFs) to a rough ass spot I frequent today and fucking hell I missed the x-formula...vibration was just crazy (annoying) and I couldn't skate the 2 hours or so I usually put in as I was so put off by either set; I had the spit lockins setup as I was skating different/smoother spots over the weekend and no problems.

Actually tempted to dip back to x97s for that one spot (not naming names but most notables are running dragons or x97s at this spot).

Madness.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7286 on: December 18, 2023, 08:47:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Took them (and some 103a V3 STFs) to a rough ass spot I frequent today and fucking hell I missed the x-formula...vibration was just crazy (annoying) and I couldn't skate the 2 hours or so I usually put in as I was so put off by either set; I had the spit lockins setup as I was skating different/smoother spots over the weekend and no problems.

Actually tempted to dip back to x97s for that one spot (not naming names but most notables are running dragons or x97s at this spot).

Madness.
Damn Bones giving us such a perfect wheel. What on earth on we going to tinker with after finding the perfect setup!

I wonder if they’ll release the rest of the V shapes in X.

Have fun

DERBY

• Rep: 270
« Reply #7287 on: December 18, 2023, 11:23:14 PM »
tried dyeing a set of radial fulls. was hoping for a lighter shade of purple but mightve put too much dye for too long. fuckkit ended up being the same colour as my car lol

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #7288 on: December 19, 2023, 04:07:41 AM »
^Looks amazing though. I'd buy wheels like that

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #7289 on: December 19, 2023, 07:57:31 AM »
tried dyeing a set of radial fulls. was hoping for a lighter shade of purple but mightve put too much dye for too long. fuckkit ended up being the same colour as my car lol

car looks too sick